• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please, the LS hate is so overblown, I've been hit by just as many shitty GS, SA, DB, GL, Hammer users.

If you want to "master" using the LS online then don't stand right next to people and attack (just like every other weapon): Mastery Acheived.

Having a DS user use demon dance next to you is 100x worse

Shengar

Go with the long sword. Super easy to use and good damage. If you play with other people make sure no one is close when you do the spirit combo or if a monster is toppled go to the other side and do it.

Its annoyingness is greatly exaggerated
And if you play with melee weapon users that received super armor when attacking, make sure they start their string of combo first before you start with your spirit combo.

Shandy

Miss Slow-pants over here. Beat Tetsucabra. Almost carted, due to a rare instance of genuine bad luck where the AI decided to only attack me right as I was getting up, but I managed to save it. Everything was fine, the fight wasn't that difficult, all things considered. Talk to everyone, figure I'm gonna do an expedition to get some seeds for the Wycoon.

I had no idea... Get into the expedition, everything's great. No seeds. Anywhere. Not in the first area, not in the second area. Go to the third area. Ohhh, big fat Tetsucabra. I expected that and came prepared. Laying into it, Velociprey comes from behind me, but I think, "Oh, that's a big Velocipr-- Oh. Oh, dear." That ain't a Velociprey, that's a Velocidrome. I didn't know you could have two at a time in the Everwood. I didn't know that was a possibility. I don't remember it telling me that. Maybe it did and I just wasn't paying attention.

Killed the Velocidrome, Tetsucabra got away. Whatever, I came for seeds, not monster bits. And do you think I found any?
Of course I didn't, don't be ridiculous.

Also trying to pick up a ranged weapon. I tried bow, but I'm a bit butt with it. And when I say a bit, I of course mean a lot. But, I'm gonna keep on trying. I have a plan for LBG sitting in the background if it doesn't work out.

Quick question. My palico is starting to lose its enthousiasm. Is it worth letting it rest? Thus far I seem to think having a decoy on at all times is handier than occasionally missing out on a support character that attacks unreliably.

Miss Slow-pants over here. Beat Tetsucabra. Almost carted, due to a rare instance of genuine bad luck where the AI decided to only attack me right as I was getting up, but I managed to save it. Everything was fine, the fight wasn't that difficult, all things considered.
I struggled a bit when it lured me into area 2. An enraged Tetsucabra and tight quarters can be pretty rough. If you don't have a lot of room to get knocked back in, he can easily start combo-ing you. I gave up on fighting it in there after I noticed he was draining my recovery items and waited for it to move. At least it was a reminder to make and dung bombs to fights. Rather I learned it this way than during a multi-monster hunt.

deim0s

I had no idea... Get into the expedition, everything's great. No seeds. Anywhere. Not in the first area, not in the second area. Go to the third area. Ohhh, big fat Tetsucabra. I expected that and came prepared. Laying into it, Velociprey comes from behind me, but I think, "Oh, that's a big Velocipr-- Oh. Oh, dear." That ain't a Velociprey, that's a Velocidrome. I didn't know you could have two at a time in the Everwood. I didn't know that was a possibility. I don't remember it telling me that. Maybe it did and I just wasn't paying attention.

Up to four total, I believe. (two sets of two monsters that I fought so far)

I wished i didn't kill Gravios. He's like showing up in every Expedition now! :/

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Also trying to pick up a ranged weapon. I tried bow, but I'm a bit butt with it. And when I say a bit, I of course mean a lot. But, I'm gonna keep on trying. I have a plan for LBG sitting in the background if it doesn't work out.
What makes you suck with it?

I finally got enough electro sacs fro Khezu's to upgrade my LS. The worst part was that for some reason there is no battle music played when fighting khezu on his 4 star mission, so it was a just a bunch of silent fights.

Nicko

After putting in around 100 hours into MH3U, I was somewhat hesitant about only being able to play MH4 on 3DS, and not Wii u. So far however, having a blast! Just one question for you all:

Does anyone else feel like the 3D hurts their eyes when turned on past halfway? What's curious is that no other 3DS game has made my eyes hurt even in the slightest...

Also, I'm looking for some MonHun friends to play with if anyone's got some open slots.

Cheers!

Raxus

I am getting used to the bow and really liking it. I feel I would have had a much easier time if things were a little less obtuse when it came to questing.

After the gaffer helped me out easily and doing a few hunts online I'm now on my way to hunt the Kecha solo for the first time. Can I just say with 9 hours in so far, most of my time online, I love this game.

I wasn't able to get into MH3U too well, but I am loving MH4. Tried a variety of weapons, but the dual blades are clicking the most with me, hammer is my number two. But can't wait to put in plenty of hours into this, I'm not even sure I'll be able to open my Majora's Mask for a while. It's not going anywhere anyway. ;p

Oh, so everyone still has to complete their own urgent quest to rank up. That's frustrating.

Yeah, it was like that in 3U for sure (never played earlier games). Everyone needs to earn it and pay the fee!

After putting in around 100 hours into MH3U, I was somewhat hesitant about only being able to play MH4 on 3DS, and not Wii u. So far however, having a blast! Just one question for you all:

Does anyone else feel like the 3D hurts their eyes when turned on past halfway? What's curious is that no other 3DS game has made my eyes hurt even in the slightest...

Also, I'm looking for some MonHun friends to play with if anyone's got some open slots.

Cheers!

Everyone's different in regards to the 3D tolerance. What other 3DS games do you tend to play with the 3D on? Maybe it's just the quick motion?

Also, there are definitely bugs in the 3D mode, which may affect you more than I do. The drop down UI which says things like "quest completed!" or "your bag is full!" has a z-rendering of being further away, but it is being rendered on top of the item UI for example, which looks like it's close to you. That fucks with my brain every time that happens. There was also something weird regarding the map and another UI element that would be near it when on the top screen, but I haven't seen that as much. Once things get close to the camera, things also get a bit weird with clipping, camera spinning to get unstuck from the terrain and what-not. I'm not sure how much patch support Capcom gives MH games post-release, but I would love it if these sorts of fit and finish issues would be fixed. The first one I mentioned is the biggest offender to me because it happens pretty frequently.

Regardless of the issues, I still play at 80-100% on the slider. Put in 16 hours of playtime since Friday, and it's been fine. No real headaches/eye aches.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hi everyone. Monster Hunter newbie here...I was hunting the Great Jaggi last night (the very first big monster hunt) and it fled to its cave. No matter what I did it wouldn't come out again.

How do I lure it out again, please?

Elija2

Hi everyone. Monster Hunter newbie here...I was hunting the Great Jaggi last night (the very first big monster hunt) and it fled to its cave. No matter what I did it wouldn't come out again.

It just fled to a different area. If you throw a paintball at it before it flees you'll be able to check where it fled to on the map.

Shandy

I struggled a bit when it lured me into area 2. An enraged Tetsucabra and tight quarters can be pretty rough. If you don't have a lot of room to get knocked back in, he can easily start combo-ing you. I gave up on fighting it in there after I noticed he was draining my recovery items and waited for it to move. At least it was a reminder to make and dung bombs to fights. Rather I learned it this way than during a multi-monster hunt.

Oh, I was out in the open. Right in the middle of area 9. The first knockdown, okay, I was a bit overzealous, but his tendency to go and pick on my cat right up until I'm standing up, still in the animation, but up enough to take damage and get knocked back down. Back to the cat. Get back up, still in the animation, but up enough to eat some rock. I wonder if that's deliberate, I don't know much about their behaviours in those cases. It's pretty clever and looking back on it, pretty funny. Probably less funny if it'd happened online. At least to everyone else.

And I never take dung bombs, equal parts stupidity and arrogance on my part. And a bit of forgetfulness, I didn't have any when I set up my item set for hunts, and I just forget to grab them.

What makes you suck with it?

Just the controls, mainly. I get critical distance, I just don't have enough experience to be able to get it right from the start without messing around. I get the bow types and their specials, even if I am a bit bad with arc bows. And they're all you get in the beginning, so it's an incentive to do better with aiming the arrow rain. I understand the shot types. But understanding those things means nothing without being able to put it into practice. I will probably get better by sticking with it, trying to recognise my mistakes.

There's also having a basic familiarity with the old control scheme, being confused by the new one because change and so using the old one. But I reached a point where I decided the new scheme might actually be the better one after all (better for my hand, at least), so I changed back to it and now I'm just hitting the wrong buttons because of muscle memory.

It's just very early days for me, using bow, so I'm still in the learning phase. For some reason, being bad with a ranged weapon feels so much worse than being bad with a melee weapon. But I have to learn it now, because I got a bit excited at the shop having a half-off day and I bought 5 stacks of Power Coating. :p

It fled to a different area, when you first see a monster throw a paintball at it to track it

Fistwell

The cave is a shortcut he uses to get to another area. He never stays off the map, he's just somewhere else, you need to go look for it.

Edit: slooooow.

Reknoc

Okay, Gore urgent unlocked. Well, I mean, they call it an urgent but is it really as urgent as getting a tick next to all my quests? No.

Sure hope Gore doesn't kill anyone while I'm fishing out these Goldenfish.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Woo finally finished building my gore magala set, it's more of a trophy set than anything the only piece i was really interested in were the ones with handicraft to mix with the diablos parts.

It is a cool set, ill gem out the fire res -20 and throw in grinder gems and use it a bit, always been a fan of challenger.

Nicko

Yeah, it was like that in 3U for sure (never played earlier games). Everyone needs to earn it and pay the fee!

Everyone's different in regards to the 3D tolerance. What other 3DS games do you tend to play with the 3D on? Maybe it's just the quick motion?

Also, there are definitely bugs in the 3D mode, which may affect you more than I do. The drop down UI which says things like "quest completed!" or "your bag is full!" has a z-rendering of being further away, but it is being rendered on top of the item UI for example, which looks like it's close to you. That fucks with my brain every time that happens. There was also something weird regarding the map and another UI element that would be near it when on the top screen, but I haven't seen that as much. Once things get close to the camera, things also get a bit weird with clipping, camera spinning to get unstuck from the terrain and what-not. I'm not sure how much patch support Capcom gives MH games post-release, but I would love it if these sorts of fit and finish issues would be fixed. The first one I mentioned is the biggest offender to me because it happens pretty frequently.

Regardless of the issues, I still play at 80-100% on the slider. Put in 16 hours of playtime since Friday, and it's been fine. No real headaches/eye aches.

Thanks for the reply. I other games I play at max 3D include Mario Kart 7, Star Fox, Mario 3D land, Zelda ALBW, RE:Revelations, etc. None of those games have messed with my eyes or given me a headache at all. I'm not sure what it is about MH4, but switching between that and Star Fox, I can't get over how much easier the Nintendo games are on the eyes.

I totally know what you mean about the menu offense... I really hope we get some patches. Perhaps I can bring this up on the Cap Unity page, and Yuri can shed some light. He has been pretty good about replying to posts in the past.

Maybe we can summarize the 3D complaints in this forum, and present clearly to him?

Thx!

Reknoc

I really like that most of the new monsters are more like MH takes on real animals rather than just typical dinosaur/dragon stuff.

Sploats! I didn't realise you got MH, did you succumb to temptation and get a N3DS? :( We should exchange numbers: 1375-7304-0065

Garou

Meanwhile in Japan at the Monster Hunter Festa '15 in Sapporo: (from the official MH4G-Twitter)

B99EhBtCUAIq7Df.jpg

Ristlager

Whats the first armor set to farm for a ls user? Just took out the frog and have just a mixed set of jaggi and the one I started with.

Raide

Its started.

I had a dream about Monster Hunter last night. Loosing against Zinogre because the only weapon I had left was a Harp/HH hybrid weapon. I could play tunes on it but it did not want to fire arrows for some reason. Zin electrocuted me and I woke up.

Foofaraw

Hoooo boy. I'm really liking this. It is taking a long time to kill stuff with a Lance. Got my full Jaggi armor from the low level quests, and don't really know where to go. Just gotta do some gathering hall stuff and improve my hunter rank.

caesar

Banned
The main thing will be to learn a particular monsters attacks, the animations, where they hit, where their body parts end up. This will help you know where you can safely position yourself, where to aim, and when you need to move.

Other things to watch out for are the monster getting tired (it will drool), and enraged (it will huff visible breath). Tired monsters pause, sometimes trip, and are generally slow. You'll have lots of opportunities to get aggressive. Conversely, you'll have different sorts of openings when it's pissed and fast.

Some monsters have things you can take advantage of to create openings. Attacking legs can trip monsters, a well timed flash or sonic bomb (like flash bombing Ketcha Wacha while it swings) will give you some free hits.

Edit: What weapon are you using?
Thanks for the tips!

Im using a switchaxe but maybe I should experiment more.

I think I need more muscle memory im still having to think about most of my moves and then its too late.

So, yeah, this game is becoming the "RE4" of the Monster Hunter franchise for me in the sense that I didn't give a shit about the series until this release and now I have an urge to play the prequels.

Kane1345

God I love this game. After my first Nerscylla fight with my friends last night I had the biggest grin on my face and it was hard to sleep because the adrenaline was still pumping throgh my body. Glad to see so many people enjoying it. Gonna get through HR2 with friends today, maybe make it to HR3. Progress is going slow because I'm constantly trying to upgrade 4 weapons simultaneously lol but I think I might just stick with one for now and concentrate on moving up ranks.

Shengar

So, yeah, this game is becoming the "RE4" of the Monster Hunter franchise for me in the sense that I didn't give a shit about the series until this release and now I have an urge to play the prequels.

If you want to play previous games, I suggest MH3U only since MHFU pretty much outdated at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom