• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pila

I wish I could play this thing all the time :) when you start with the upgrades you get that MH feeling and you're hooked again.

Well, barely played some single player (killed the Basarios urgent). Loving the hunting horn, I started the game with a weapon I never used before and it was a good idea, man the horn is fun, I never touched them before what a moron...

Soooo GAF, are you playing HR1 quests together? Maybe I'm going to start the actual online play with HR2, thinking of doing solo HR1. Can't wait to reach G rank again, what a game.

I've been playing the demo, and I'm a bit on the fence about this game. It's interesting and can be quite fun when the combat mechanics don't get in the way, but I find the lack of constant lock-on (constantly pressing L is kind of a crappy substitute) and the clunky combat mechanics to be somewhat off-putting. The lack of ability to rotate towards my target in-between combo strikes and during blocking is irritating, I wish the combat mechanics were a bit more Souls-like, basically. My character just doesn't feel as mobile as he realistically should be when it comes to using his weapons.

On the bright side, it seems I have found myself in favor of the basic sword and shield. I'm generally not a fan of slow weapons in games with slower, more methodical combat, I prefer leaving myself exposed as little as possible.

Kane1345

I've been playing the demo, and I'm a bit on the fence about this game. It's interesting and can be quite fun when the combat mechanics don't get in the way, but I find the lack of constant lock-on (constantly pressing L is kind of a crappy substitute) and the clunky combat mechanics to be somewhat off-putting. The lack of ability to rotate towards my target in-between combo strikes and during blocking is irritating, I wish the combat mechanics were a bit more Souls-like, basically.

On the bright side, it seems I have found myself in favor of the basic sword and shield. I'm generally not a fan of slow weapons in games with slower, more methodical combat, I prefer leaving myself exposed as little as possible.

Are you using the auto target camera? Just in case you're not: Tap the icon of the boss monster in the bottom panel. A target reticule will appear on it. Now whenever you press L the camera will auto face the boss.

Are you using the auto target camera? Just in case you're not: Tap the icon of the boss monster in the bottom panel. A target reticule will appear on it. Now whenever you press L the camera will auto face the boss.

I know about that, as I said, it's a rather crappy substitute - it helps, but not all that much. I knew some form of lock-on was available from watching vids of people playing this game, so when I couldn't get a lock-on going, I was wondering how the hell they did it until I noticed the icon and pressed it. And then I got my answer to my other question of why those players weren't locking on constantly, you can't do that, which is rather stupid, IMO.

Pila

I know about that, as I said, it's a rather crappy substitute - it helps, but not all that much. I knew some form of lock-on was available from watching vids of people playing this game, so when I couldn't get a lock-on going, I was wondering how the hell they did it until I noticed the icon and pressed it. And then I got my answer to my other question of why those players weren't locking on constantly, you can't do that, which is rather stupid, IMO.

You want to hit the monster in the right spot. Sometimes it's the head, sometimes it's the tail and so on... having a real lock-on would be a pain in order to do that.

Spend time with the game and always keep the monster on camera, it works fine.

PKrockin

The point of it is good players will attack certain points of the monster to break parts or do the most damage. Lance players who kill things by precisely poking the squishy bits would be screwed over by a full lock on because the camera would be constantly be moving and screwing up their aim, making their weapon bounce off claws and tusks. At least that's how I feel as a lance player. Same goes for greatsword. I would be pissed if slight camera movements made me miss what would have been a perfectly placed level 3 charge to the face.

I finally got enough electro sacs fro Khezu's to upgrade my LS. The worst part was that for some reason there is no battle music played when fighting khezu on his 4 star mission, so it was a just a bunch of silent fights.
It's because music is triggered by large monsters seeing you. Poor lil Khezu is blind, so music is unable to trigger. It's such a strange little touch that I don't understand the point of, but it's neat that they thought of it.

Kane1345

The point of it is good players will attack certain points of the monster to break parts or do the most damage. Lance players who kill things by precisely poking the squishy bits would be screwed over by a full lock on because the camera would be constantly be moving and screwing up their aim, making their weapon bounce off claws and tusks. At least that's how I feel as a lance player. Same goes for greatsword. I would be pissed if slight camera movements made me miss what would have been a perfectly placed level 3 charge to the face.

That would make me rage like crazy....

Cerity

A lock on won't work in MH tbh.

There's a lot to do with positioning and awareness that'd get completely shut out if they added a lock on system. You often break or cut certain parts of the monsters and there's quite a few situations where you're dealing with more than one large monster at a time, which all act independently.

It's more demanding but it's straight up better to be constantly adjusting the camera for what the game allows you to do.

After several Great Jaggi hunts, I managed to complete the Jaggi armor.

zlCfzTAy14wPOVadtd

BTW: Are Wroggi back in this game? I really love that armor set from 3 Ultimate.

Nohar

After several Great Jaggi hunts, I managed to complete the Jaggi armor.

BTW: Are Wroggi back in this game? I really love that armor set from 3 Ultimate.

Nope, no Wroggi (sadly). I wanted the same armor, since I play Dual Blades, but that's not an option here (at least early in the game; maybe we can trade for the Wroggi armor later in High rank?).

the game is just probably not for you. What you find stupid is in fact a core mechanic.

zumbi997

Neo Member
So, I remember in Mh3U, there were certain moves in multiplayer that would send your fellow hunters flying. I was wondering 2 things.
1) Could it be possible to launch someone into a mountable state? and if so,
2) Which moves are the best for this, particularly with lance, which I play?

Kane1345

We did our part in the UK it seems judging from the PAL charts :)

‘Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate’, which makes its mark at No4. The title’s week 1 sales are an impressive 95% up on predecessor ‘Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate’ as the series starts to gain real traction in the West.

Shengar

So, I remember in Mh3U, there were certain moves in multiplayer that would send your fellow hunters flying. I was wondering 2 things.

1) Yes
2) Swaxe upswing is particularly popular for this. But for Lance you could do joust charge then jump attack on the monster right away

PKrockin

I think any move you have that knocks allies in an arc upward will let them jump attack and mount. But I don't think lance has any of those. Instead lancers can jump and mount freely without the help of terrain or allies by joust charging and hitting B, which I fucking love by the way.

Shengar

whaaat? feels so good to destroy that fucker after breaking his carapace.
just wait for the black gravios+zinogre fight :)

No when you don't have blue sharpness weapon which mean that your weapon will bounce a lot
And this is Basarios that I'm talking about!
It sucks that Nerscylla doesn't have lance weapon line. I guess it's either change my weapon or wait until Tigrex. But then again Tigrex weapon have minus affinity D:

c2morg

So what's your standard inventory look like when going out on a hunt? I keep getting into battle an not having enough potions or forgetting the toys like traps an grenades to have more space for items I find

Santiako

No when you don't have blue sharpness weapon which mean that your weapon will bounce a lot
And this is Basarios that I'm talking about!
It sucks that Nerscylla doesn't have lance weapon line. I guess it's either change my weapon or wait until Tigrex. But then again Tigrex weapon have minus affinity D:

Switchaxe laughs at Basarios.

ramyeon

By tackling specific quests I believe. Got a message "your palicoes can now go and do blablabla" after clearing a quest yesterday (I think SP frenzied tigrex).
Ah I see, seems like it's been awhile and I've still only got the first one :/

Edit: Aaand just got a new one after beating frenzied Congalala.
whaaat? feels so good to destroy that fucker after breaking his carapace.
just wait for the black gravios+zinogre fight :)
Haha well the first time you fight him is quite early on in SP and all I have available is green sharpness. It just makes the whole fight tedious.

sgjackson

Switchaxe laughs at Basarios.

Switch axe laughs at everything.

Does anybody have a good explanation for damage calculation and how weapon stats affect it? I have a very general idea of how it works but I'd like to learn specifics so I can evaluate weapons properly and switch around for different fights.

Question about the Palico expeditions that you can send them on;

The first time I did that it gave me the option to use abilities mid-fight, but the second time I never got any selection prompts. Are these dependent on the Palico's enthusiasm being high or something?

FiraB

Banned
It's horrendous for the point it shows up. I think I used 8 whetstones fighting it.

The fight would be trivial if 99% of its body wasn't made out of brick
yeah it is pretty bad, i ended my hunting on him tonight because it was just cheap.

Will bow him to death from now on.

Kane1345

So what are people's thoughts on the whole farm vs Wycoon thing? Better or worse? I've only just got HR2 and only used him a bit but so far from what I can tell it's going to be worse for me because of the limited amount of things he can produce at one time. Unless he gains more carts in the future? Is that a thing?

Reknoc

So what are people's thoughts on the whole farm vs Wycoon thing? Better or worse? I've only just got HR2 and only used him a bit but so far from what I can tell it's going to be worse for me because of the limited amount of things he can produce at one time. Unless he gains more carts in the future? Is that a thing?

You eventually end up with 3, and the places upgrade so you can get more stuff from them. It's fine but I still prefer the farm, felt more involved.

Condom

I want my farm back so badly, seeing it expand was always a rewarding thing. Now I rarely even use the Wycoon stuff.

ilium

when exactly does high rank start?
i'm at the 4* village urgent quest now and wanted to make the najarala armor, but was wondering if it's even worth it now, or if i should keep the materials and make the high rank version later.

ramyeon

I'm trying to get the Zinogre armour for my Palicoes and its a pain in the ass since they can't seem to defeat him, meaning I only get 1 per run.

Kensuke

when exactly does high rank start?
i'm at the 4* village urgent quest now and wanted to make the najarala armor, but was wondering if it's even worth it now, or if i should keep the materials and make the high rank version later.

High rank starts at 6* I believe. The high rank version will require different materials, so you don't need to save those materials.

deim0s

Helping out some randoms to HR3. I noticed we're breaking Gore's feelers before he even got to rage mode! I thought it's breakable only in his super state.

Kane1345

You eventually end up with 3, and the places upgrade so you can get more stuff from them. It's fine but I still prefer the farm, felt more involved.

I want my farm back so badly, seeing it expand was always a rewarding thing. Now I rarely even use the Wycoon stuff.

I agree with the "rewarding" sentiment. I really liked watching my farm get bigger and I loved this hehe

iHQm9ogLtt5Zt.gif

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It only took 8 great jaggi missions to complete the jaggi set. I seem to remember it took lot more than that in 3U. Got two king's frills after three hammer expeditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom