• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So GAF. Gather around for storytime, as I have one I'd like to share in a nice, loooong post.

I picked up the game on kind of a lark on Friday while I was getting Majora's Mask and a coffee-maker. I hadn't played Monster Hunter before - which, frankly, is kind of a problem for me, since if nothing else, my job is such that I should make sure I'm at least familiar with all of the truly trend-setting games and game-types in Japan, and I couldn't say that about MH. I'd heard MH4 was impressive, so I'd considered picking it up for a while, and on seeing it was out (with an 8-4 loc job no less) I took the plunge.

In what I imagine is a somewhat familiar refrain, at first I was distinctly unimpressed.

The graphics are definitely a little underwhelming, or at least the 3DS is not really able to do them the justice I think the artists want done.

The combat felt awkward and goofy, especially without the ability to lock on to anything or switch your weapons in the field to experiment with what you found good. (Sidebar: I wish the game made a bigger deal of "you can practice and learn every single weapon now that the story 1-stars are done, because I only figured that out by chance.)

The quests started out really slow and struggled to keep me engaged. Yes, I get it, I can cook food for myself and forage and combine stuff, can we please get to some of these signature big monsters? It's literally something like six or seven quests just to get to a Great Jaggi, and even then that barely feels like it qualifies.

And then the egg quest. By christ, I was about ready to throw my 3DS against a wall and return the game at that point. The "explanation" for how to get eggs out of the birds is hilariously opaque and actually transporting the eggs is one of the more flagrant disrespectings of a player's time I've seen in a while.

At that point I was soldiering on more out of a sense of obligation than anything else. This game must sell millions in Japan for a reason, and unless everyone became obsessed with carrying eggs while I wasn't looking, there had to be something else.

The game started to get a little better once I got past the Great Jaggi - the Seltas was fairly engaging and fighting it was the first time I actually enjoyed the combat system, the initial Expeditions were fun (although it was once again rather confusing figuring out that they were plot-mandatory - there's no marker denoting this) - the Velocidrone was at least a little more interesting than the Great Jaggi, and the Kutku was fun and goofy, although the one on the story expedition got away (take note of this). And the Kecha-Wacha was sufficiently involved to give me my first "death" and felt like a pretty good capstone for the first chapter of the game.

I can't lie, though - it all still felt like "low-rent Dark Souls", in that the combat still didn't feel as graceful (although after the Kecha I started to really get the hang of the Insect Glaive) as DS and its ilk, it wasn't as pretty, and it sure didn't feel like it had the tension going.

At this point, I take a look at my world map again as I'd been messing around a tiny bit with the online - and oh, hey, the expedition icon is twinkly. There's two possible monsters displayed and "Treasure Area" is "yes". Maybe that means I could pick up something cool, since I just unlocked this ability to un-rust stuff, and I know it'll unlock more Guild Quests for multiplayer and whatnot. So sure, let's do that, even if I kinda wanted a Kutku for killing instead as I'm a little annoyed that one got away and denied me a quest.

So I go in. I encounter a Velocidrone, start beating it down, you know how it goes. It begins to run away, I chase it onto the next map... the map where a Kecha is waiting. Oh fuck. I try not to get the Kecha's attention while finishing off the 'drone, but nope, quite soon I'm trying to kill a Velocidrone while a deranged squirrelmonkey is spitting loogies at me, all while a whole new song is playing, one I hadn't heard when fighting just one or or the other. Neat.

I actually manage this and turn my attention to the Kecha, trying to avoid the remnants of the Velociprey reinforcements/leaving them to my cat. After quite a fight (which get especially interesting because this part of the Everwood map I got had hanging points for the Kecha but it could be lured away), the Kecha starts to run too. I give chase, chasing it all the way back to the first room of the map (where there had been no major monster at all). Lots of jump-flipping, ground slapping and a couple loogies later, and I bag a Kecha.

I take a few moments to real-life recover, as that had admittedly been decently intense, and start carving up the monkey. No sooner do I finish carving the last bit out of that Kecha, however, than the combat music starts up again. The exact same combat music.

It turns out that Kecha had a buddy.

So now I find myself fighting a new, fresh squirrelmonkey - or, more accurately, desperately trying to find the time to recover from just beating that last one as my HP and stamina are low and my weapon desperately needs a shine. But nope, I take a little too long fixing my weapon and the new Kecha eventually gives me a cart ride. Well, I dust myself off and go right back after it.

Eventually it retreats to the area where I initially encountered Kecha #1. I fight Kecha #2 in a similar way to #1... and then, when the Kecha is showing signs of getting beat up, just as I think to myself it'd be funny if - yup, there's that music from before. Another Velocidrone seriously added in to the fight.

At this point I leave all that to cat - oh wait, cat got taken out. Hm. Now I need to seal the deal myself. Sadly, after beating on the Kecha some more, I take a little too long trying to evade the attacks from the 'drone and Kecha #2 just straight up peace-outs on me, message and all. Annoying, after all that effort, but whatevs. Kitty comes back and we turn the 'drone #2 inside out.

So after all that, I finally have a chance to explore this room in peace and look for any intriguing resource nodes. As I do this, though, there's a heavy sound like wing beats. And I'm like, come on, seriously? Did Kecha #2 not actually leave? And I on a thir-

wait

those are wing beats

Kecha don't flap their wings!

And that's when a Yian Kutku nearly lands on top of me. All of a sudden, out of literally nowhere, it's Bird Rematch Time.

For a short ending to a long story, four major enemies in a row had actually improved my play a fair bit, and the Kutku didn't even have a chance to leave the map before I put it in the ground. It may or may not have been ridden like a rodeo animal more than once. So I got four major monster kills, including the one that wasn't even on the list and the one I'd really wanted for quests, got tons of mats, and oh hey, I got a relic, let's see what

a Rarity 3 Rough Edge switch axe with tons of green (nearly half the total bar) with 810 attack and an additional effect of +15 flat defense

yeah, okay

between all that I'm pretty sure I get it now.

-

In short, I rather like the game at this point.
emot-v.gif
And I can definitely see why it sells so well and how it differentiates itself from other superficially-similar action RPGs like Souls. For reference, the strongest switch axe I can forge right now is in the 590 range and has barely any yellow - so now I keep debating between my glaive and the Rough Edge, because it hits like a truck but holy moly is it slow.

I can still level some criticisms at the game - like I said, the 3DS simply is not doing this game any favors in the graphics department, for starters, especially on non-New models which are probably still going to be the majority of users, simply due to mathematics.

I'm also still not sure I totally dig the control scheme - while I've come to be impressed at how customizable it is (seriously, this level of control & interface customization is staggering for any console game, doubly so a handheld) the actual controls still feel not-great in places. Directional control, for example, can be annoying - it's really hard to get used to the fact that you need to wait for an attack animation to fully resolve before changing attack direction, and muscle memory keeps making me attack in the wrong direction because I keep pressing toward the target and expecting the combo-action to redirect itself.

And I can sympathize with people complaining about the lack of lock-on for one specific reason: the number of small monsters the game throws at you.

Specifically: while I now see why the camera is the way it is for large enemies - even at my early stage, the Tetsucabras and Gypceroses are getting up there in terms of "too big for a traditional lock on camera to really handle", I could definitely see it in that Nerscylla I fought online, and I've no doubt things will just get bigger - the early game, at least, is fond of throwing monsters who summon hordes of small enemies to attack you, or will retreat to locations where there are small enemies. And there's no way to center the camera on these small enemies at all. It feels really, really arbitrary and makes fighting the small things when there's a big thing around really annoying, really fast. You can kind of manage it when it's just little things (though it still feels more awkward than it should), but when you have to keep your eye on the big one but also clear the field a little bit, if only because you're being crowded out? That's not such a great time and I can sympathize with wanting to switch camera focus quickly.

And like I said - the game's "second impression" past the very start of the game is not positive. I want to do physical violence to the person who thought that egg quest was a good idea, MonHun tradition or no.
emot-argh.gif

Even so, I at least Get It now, and I totally plan on playing more. Also the localization is by and large real good - props to 8-4 for making it a fun, engaging read.

I'm curious to see how many stories like mine are going to be out there - going by how the game is selling, I'd wager there'll be more than a few, at least as long as people stick out those awful first few hours.

H1PSTER

Anybody want to farm Nerscylla? I don't think I can do this alone.

It's a fun fight but it can be a really frustrating one!

Room code is:

10-1963-1981-1646

Password is:

Edit:

I forgot to mention that this is for low rank.

Reknoc

Egg quests are always the worst, p.sure whoever designed them and insists on keeping them in is clearly some sort of crazy sadist. The MH4 ones are even worse since when you've done one... it unlocks another!! :((((((( gotta get all those ticks though

Egg quests are always the worst, p.sure whoever designed them and insists on keeping them in is clearly some sort of crazy sadist. The MH4 ones are even worse since when you've done one... it unlocks another!! :((((((( gotta get all those ticks though

perhaps in the end, you unlock some egg armor set.

I don't think I will try...

Kane1345

Oh look there's suddenly a massive boulder blocking your way! You better go the other way around through an orgy of black cats with kleptomania!

Yes, definitely a sadist

Anyone wanna do some key quests from the beginning? Did a few quests here and there but I wanna make some progress now.

Done offline low rank already so we can go non-stop if everyone's gear is up to snuff i.e you made at least one upgrade.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Anyone wanna do some key quests from the beginning? Did a few quests here and there but I wanna make some progress now.

Done offline low rank already so we can go non-stop if everyone's gear is up to snuff i.e you made at least one upgrade.
I'm game, only did 2 rank 1 key quests though.

Peru

I'm also still not sure I totally dig the control scheme - while I've come to be impressed at how customizable it is (seriously, this level of control & interface customization is staggering for any console game, doubly so a handheld) the actual controls still feel not-great in places. Directional control, for example, can be annoying - it's really hard to get used to the fact that you need to wait for an attack animation to fully resolve before changing attack direction

Well, you can dodge/evade out of most attacks to shorten the animation.

H1PSTER

W-What!?

I just had the software close into sleep mode on me!???

Sorry guys, I didn't expect that to happen just as we started the hunt :(.

Low rank spider-witch hunt.

Room is back up:

26-2852-6731-3632

Password:

Netto-kun

W-What!?

I just had the software close into sleep mode on me!???

Sorry guys, I didn't expect that to happen just as we started the hunt :(.

Low rank spider-witch hunt.

Room is back up:

26-2852-6731-3632

Password:

You can just rejoin the room with the same ID and password that you set up. :p

Edit: Nvm everybody left!

Edit2: Oh it's full now. Back to getting Rathalos Tails then.

Owensboro

Yup. Dreamed about playing the game all night. God I love when I get so sucked into a game that in takes over my dreams. It probably hasn't happened since XCOM.

Just did some light searching on the internet and couldn't find an answer, so here goes:

What are the underlying rules for mounting a monster? I don't mean "how do you do it?", I mean more "what causes a jump attack to knock down a monster?" Obviously there are some kind of diminishing returns (the monster becomes less and less susceptible to it), but I'm kind of stumped on what exactly the rules surrounding that are. Currently, I just jump blindly at the thing hoping my jump attack will knock it down. I'd much rather think something along the lines of "Okay, it's been 4 minutes since the last knockdown, and he's finished his enrage, so that means I can jump attack / mount him again!" Or, realistically, I'd just like to know I can plan to mount a monster to cancel it's enrage out / take more time off the most dangerous part of the fight.

Anyone know the basic rules and/or how mounting works according to theorycraft?

squall23

In short, I rather like the game at this point. And I can definitely see why it sells so well and how it differentiates itself from other superficially-similar action RPGs like Souls. For reference, the strongest switch axe I can forge right now is in the 590 range and has barely any yellow - so now I keep debating between my glaive and the Rough Edge, because it hits like a truck but holy moly is it slow.
SA is believe it or not one of the more "faster" and more versatile weapons with a good DPS.

Cerity

Man having Nerscylla's claws bounce green sharpness is probably the best place they could have put it. Makes it so annoying, you start the next chain in your combo, it turns around and you just hit it's claws :<

Ristlager

I know about that, as I said, it's a rather crappy substitute - it helps, but not all that much. I knew some form of lock-on was available from watching vids of people playing this game, so when I couldn't get a lock-on going, I was wondering how the hell they did it until I noticed the icon and pressed it. And then I got my answer to my other question of why those players weren't locking on constantly, you can't do that, which is rather stupid, IMO.

You really should try out the ipad version of mhfu, it has a lock on as you describe, and it is awesome. None of the problems the others wrote, you can position yourself much better than without it. You have much more control over the fight and choosing different parts is easy. The ipad versions has amazing graphics,best control of the series and mhfu is only rivaled by mh4u in content. The gameplay is NOT dated, but you will suffer some worse hit boxes and fewer moves with the weapons.

tuffy

So is gunning from the start feasible or should I just GS my way to G Rank before building and learning bowguns?
I have yet to use anything but the heavy bowgun through the 4 star Caravan quests, so it's totally feasible. If you want to learn them, I say go for it.

ilium

man i hate it when there's neutral lighting during character creation and then the skin tone turns out to be way more dark during the actual game! :<

i suppose there is no way to change skin tone.
i'm just 30h in but don't want to start over. this bugs a lot...uuugh

H1PSTER

Closed into sleep mode again...

Why!?

Edit: Now I can't connect to the old room :(.

CAAAPPPCCCOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!!!

I'll give up for today, thank you for the hunts anyway guys :).

What is a good armor for charge blade? I don't plan on doing the online quest(not sure if they are online or just harder to solo) until i'm MUCH more comfortable with the game if that changes anything.

Man, I need serious practice with the charge blade. I know the mechanics, but my kill times are still significantly faster with the old classics. Hunts that took me 15 minutes solo with my charge blade took me less than 5 with a hammer that isn't as upgraded.

It feels like the old muscle memory is still really fucking strong, and goddamn it feels good.

I still really want to get more proficient with the charge blade though.

H1PSTER

Man, I need serious practice with the charge blade. I know the mechanics, but my kill times are still significantly faster with the old classics. Hunts that took me 15 minutes solo with my charge blade took me less than 5 with a hammer that isn't as upgraded.

It feels like the old muscle memory is still really fucking strong, and goddamn it feels good.

I still really want to get more proficient with the charge blade though.

I love the charge blade but like you i find my kill times better with other weapons.

deim0s

What is a good armor for charge blade? I don't plan on doing the online quest(not sure if they are online or just harder to solo) until i'm MUCH more comfortable with the game if that changes anything.

You could try Guard+1/2 armors... But honestly just go with attack up/sharpness+1 and block more often and altering your playstyle and to use th axe when you have an opening or a really wide opening to super.

Always charge your shield,it would give you a stronger blocking power and you could counter with a super (X+A).

FWIW, the online stuff, especially the earlier ones, can be easier if anything because you have up to four full-power players.

As for gear, it doesn't matter too much early on - the Veloci-wyvern gear (uses Velociprey and Velocidrone parts) has +attack, which is never bad. You'll get a very good talisman for Charge Blade as part of the story (full auto-guard skill), so that helps. It takes a while to get any +Guard stuff, so don't sweat it for your early kills. Look for Guard Up on armor, that's what you'd want if you don't go for +damage.

Also what deimos said, basically.

Closed into sleep mode again...

Why!?

Edit: Now I can't connect to the old room :(.

CAAAPPPCCCOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!!!

I'll give up for today, thank you for the hunts anyway guys :).

We got you one, at least! Sorry you kept bugging out, though. Was your DS entering sleep mode while still open?

Pila

So GAF. Gather around for storytime, as I have one I'd like to share in a nice, loooong post.

[...]

I'm also still not sure I totally dig the control scheme - while I've come to be impressed at how customizable it is (seriously, this level of control & interface customization is staggering for any console game, doubly so a handheld) the actual controls still feel not-great in places. Directional control, for example, can be annoying - it's really hard to get used to the fact that you need to wait for an attack animation to fully resolve before changing attack direction, and muscle memory keeps making me attack in the wrong direction because I keep pressing toward the target and expecting the combo-action to redirect itself.

Love your post <3 new hunter impressions are always nice to read.

You'll love the controls I'm sure. It takes a while but it's awesome when you figure it out, watch tutorials. Starter missions aren't the best thing ever but they should teach you fundamentals about the environment, you figure out where to find stuff, they force you into exploring the areas... egg carrying is egg carrying :/ not a key quest in multi IIRC.

Killed some beasts in HR1 playing solo. Had fun, I like the tunes in the gathering hall!

vareon

What's a good way to get Armor Spheres? I have them but I don't remember how. Just unlocked Tetsucabra battle, for reference.

tuffy

What's a good way to get Armor Spheres? I have them but I don't remember how. Just unlocked Tetsucabra battle, for reference.
There's low odds of carving them from Konchus and low odds of getting them as quest rewards in a lot of the low rank Caravan quests so you'll probably wind up with a few naturally over time. Otherwise they won't be mine-able until you hit the Frozen Seaway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom