• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried going to the cat area during each mission so far to find a new recruit and couldn't talk to anyone. (Also, tangentially related, in the cat area there is always a question mark prompt where you search and never find anything, what's that for? It's special text so something hast to happen, right?) I just last night finished the quest to open the Palico Island, is that the trigger that allows you to start recruiting them during quests?
Really good question. Waiting for this mystery to be solved

Reknoc

I've tried going to the cat area during each mission so far to find a new recruit and couldn't talk to anyone. (Also, tangentially related, in the cat area there is always a question mark prompt where you search and never find anything, what's that for? It's special text so something hast to happen, right?) I just last night finished the quest to open the Palico Island, is that the trigger that allows you to start recruiting them during quests?

Yes, theres a caravan quest when you open up sunsnug island or whatever, to hunt a congalala and that unlocks recruiting in felyn areas. I think the special gather area is a way to get back stuff stolen by Melynxs? Could be wrong about though.

ramyeon

Keep doing the quests related to the cats and that island and you'll unlock the ability to recruit (I believe it's after Zamtrios or Congalala, either of those).

That question mark is for if they steal an item you can get it back there.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If you've gotten a feel for the charge blade already, watch this.

Always helpful to watch videos of other people using the weapons at a high level.

I love watching videos like this, mostly because it reminds me that even at masterful levels of play, the crazy hard monsters are still no joke.

I need to stop playing this game, I already am 25 hours but I can't stop.

I crafted the Gore Magala GS and it's amazing, 25% affinity and the highest RAW damage so far, I'll probably keep it for a while.

It's been years since I've played any MH game. :( Is there any particular order I should be doing quests between Village/Gathering Hall/Online quests? Is online harder than offline?

It's been years since I've played any MH game. :( Is there any particular order I should be doing quests between Village/Gathering Hall/Online quests? Is online harder than offline?

Village is easier as the game knows you're going in solo and it's the "tutorial", it also helps that the Village unlocks you neat stuff like the "farm" and Decorations so you should invest some time on it.

There's no order but right now I'm in Village Star 4 and HR3 and I feel like I'm progressing naturally.

mmk gotcha. thanks

We need to hunt together!

Raide

If its a while since playing, progress through the village quests, get some gear together and learn the combat. When you feel happy with your ability to beat the early monsters, hop online and quest with people.

Online can be harder if you progress through it on your own.

If its a while since playing, progress through the village quests, get some gear together and learn the combat. When you feel happy with your ability to beat the early monsters, hop online and quest with people.

Online can be harder if you progress through it on your own.

Yeah, offline I just beat the Tetsucabra, is local play considered online?

tuffy

I've never bothered with bow(gun) but now that I'm toying around with them, holy hell you really need to aim due to the verticality. Blind fire = 50:50 hit or miss despite the monster being right in front of you
Unless you're spamming pellet shots, it's a good idea to always use the scope anyway. Taking a moment to fine-tune your aim and locate the best weak spot available can make a big difference over time. Bows can get away with just pointing your hunter at the monster and shooting, but bowguns work better with a bit more finesse.

Owensboro

Yes, theres a caravan quest when you open up sunsnug island or whatever, to hunt a congalala and that unlocks recruiting in felyn areas. I think the special gather area is a way to get back stuff stolen by Melynxs? Could be wrong about though.

Keep doing the quests related to the cats and that island and you'll unlock the ability to recruit (I believe it's after Zamtrios or Congalala, either of those).

That question mark is for if they steal an item you can get it back there.

Awesome! Thanks!

I'm still early in the game and only just now killed my first Great Jaggi, but that damn egg quest felt like a huge accomplishment just by itself. Apparently, this is a thing in Monster Hunter games?

Anyway, like every newcomer, I have a zillion questions:

• I'm still very early in the game. Like just killed Great Jaggi for the first time. I'm using Long Sword, which armor set should I be working towards?
  • What armor skills are good for Long Sword?
  • Is upgrading gear worth it at low levels, or should I save mats for just buying better pieces?
  • What's the difference between Guild and Village quests? Are village quests the story and Guild the hunts?
  • Do monsters always have the same progression between zones? (Like Great Jaggi moves from 6 to 4 and finally to 8? Not sure if those are the actual zone numbers, but you get the idea).
  • How important is it to do sub-quests, in general?
  • A lot of materials quests have a sub-quest for a specific item (like golden egg or rare mushroom). How do you get these? Do they only drop from one place or are they rare drops from nodes/beasts and you have to just keep doing it over and over?
  • For general kill X number of beast quests, is there a trigger to make the beasts respawn like moving between zones and returning?
  • If I need to farm for materials, can I just run out into the field or do I need to take a quest first?
  • What's the little green or red book icon over my character's head in town?
  • Is there an advantage to hunting online vs solo? Are monsters easier in one place or the other?

I'm stuck at work, so all I can do is think about when I'll get home and play again. Thanks for answering any questions for a MonHun newbie.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Going back to work is rough. I just want to finish getting to high rank village quests!
This entry into the series is way too fun.

ramyeon

Anyone wanna help me do this Dah'ren Mohran quest to rank up to HR4? Just helped a random room get theirs and got ditched before I could do mine.

I'm still early in the game and only just now killed my first Great Jaggi, but that damn egg quest felt like a huge accomplishment just by itself. Apparently, this is a thing in Monster Hunter games?

• I'm still very early in the game. Like just killed Great Jaggi for the first time. I'm using Long Sword, which armor set should I be working towards?
  • Is upgrading gear worth it at low levels, or should I save mats for just buying better pieces?
  • What's the difference between Guild and Village quests?
  • Do monsters always have the same progression between zones? (Like Great Jaggi moves from 6 to 4 and finally to 8? Not sure if those are the actual zone numbers, but you get the idea).
  • A lot of materials quests have a sub-quest for a specific item (like golden egg or rare mushroom). How do you get these? Do they only drop from one place or are they rare drops from nodes/beasts and you have to just keep doing it over and over?
  • For general kill X number of beast quests, is there a trigger to make the beasts respawn like moving between zones and returning?
  • If I need to farm for materials, can I just run out into the field or do I need to take a quest first?
  • Is there an advantage to hunting online vs solo? Are monsters easier in one place or the other?

I'm stuck at work, so all I can do is think about when I'll get home and play again. Thanks for answering any questions for a MonHun newbie.
-You don't have to do the egg quest, Google MH4U key quests. Thank me later
-make whatever armor you can, in low rank it's pretty pointless to sit and farm for a full set, just go with the highest base defense and don't worry about it until high rank
-Don't know, don't worry about armor skills until high rank
-you get tons of armor spheres if that's what you're asking, but I still usually wait until high rank
-Village quests are single player, guild is multi
-generally yes, but they'll switch it up. Just pauntball them
-sub quests make it easier to get certain materials (usually because it involves breaking certain parts). You should do them, but you shouldn't hesitate on killing a monster just because you didn't do the sub quest.
-don't worry about harvest subquests
-don't know, I generally don't do them. They should have very high spawn rates though
-if it's something specific then go on a harvest tour.
-shows what type of quest you have selected
-online is generally harder, but it really doesn't matter because there are three more people. Single player will eventually get you a bunch of nice things like the bug farm and armor decorator (again, worry about armor decorations until HR)

Reknoc

Z03yYv1.jpg

Raide

• What's the difference between Guild and Village quests? Are village quests the story and Guild the hunts?

1. Since you have just started, don't worry too much about what gear. Health is always handy and focus around the correct defence/attack boost options for the monster you are fighting. Later on attack boosts, speed sharpening etc are a focus.

3. You should be able to build all of the lower level gears without too much grinding. Best advice is to horde items tbh. Figure out what you need and make those items. You will spend hours hunting out random plates for a gear. :D

4. Village is really the story and then Guild will send you on other missions. They are the Hunters Guild, so you progress up as a Hunter and they notice you. :D

5. Most monsters do follow the same patterns but can mix it up to keep you on your toes. Painball them to track where they go to decrease the frustrating part of running around an entire map to find them. In general they do stick to certain places when they are wounded/limping. Usually a feeding spot or a sleeping spot.

6. Unless you want to progress the story quickly, you may as well do them if you like. Tbh, focus around the ones that reward you with upgrades etc. Some are easy to drop, since they don't give much. Work through the ones that get you to the Urgent Quest, which is the main quest to progress the story.

9. Some quests are quick enough to get into, get all the resources and kill/capture the monster. You will progressively learn which ones are good for resources and you can grind those a few times. Always handy to have netx and pickaxes wherever you go.

11. Offline is easier. Online is harder but you can progress faster with friends to play with. Also some encounters are online only.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Just added myself to the Google Doc.
Bit of a nub despite having put a number of hours into various PSP, Wii, 3DS, and Wii U iterations of the franchise. Still doing the early story stuff, but I'm taking it slow because my n3DS doesn't arrive until later this week, and the game feels clunky on the old hw.

Mejilan
1977-0169-2527
Playing around with the new Charge Blade currently.

Edit: Please PM me your FC if you add me. Thank you.

sugarless

High-level players will tell you it's a waste of time until higher level, but personally I think that working out how you will upgrade stuff, and enjoying the results of your efforts, is always worth experiencing early on, even if you will look back later and think it was but a blip in the overall scheme of things.

For farming subquests (i.e. main quest is monster-related but subquest is gathering items), I would say don't go out of your way to do it, but bear in mind if you've had a tough hunt and aren't going to be able to complete the main quest, or for example you realise you're on a capture but have run out of traps/tranquillisers, then subquests are a way for you to end the quest without just abandoning it.

Take a Harvest Tour quest. Those exist only to let you farm for materials. They are still structured like quests with a clear condition so what happens is, after a few minutes a horn will sound and it will tell you a ticket has been delivered to the blue item box. So now you can end the quest at any time by going back to the start, taking the ticket from the blue box and delivering it to the red box. It's a little awkward but it keeps consistency with the game's structure wherein you have to complete the quest in order to get to keep what you have found during it.

jorgejjvr

mostly offline and online are different games, almost, even then if you play the same monsters, one mostly does not affect the other, except for some cases, for example you can unlock low rank offline elder dragon quest by doing certain thing on the online High Rank, like unlocking an offline Akantor by defeating online High Rank Akantor..

but that's mostly it, just some optional harder quests for offline low rank quests
Right but I mean if I make a lobby right now and invite people I can only fight a couple of monsters. In order to fight other more high level monster, can I do that by making a lobby playing people from gaf and beating them for example, or by myself on the guild? Or both

Apharmd

This is my first Monster Hunter game, and i bought it because a friend convinced me. However, he has yet to play with me and really teach me the game. Are there any good beginner guides/videos? Because I am really lost and kind of suck at the game. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6iYOHaGGKk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LN570LBJOY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGzA9KWmmJk

Projared's guides are great for starting out. Even if it's MH3U, most of the core stuff carries over.

If you are having trouble using your weapons, Gaijinhunter's youtube tutorials are great. Go to youtube and search "Gaijinhunter [weaponchoice]". EX: "Gaijinhunter great sword" "gaijinhunter heavy bowgun".

Reknoc

Right but I mean if I make a lobby right now and invite people I can only fight a couple of monsters. In order to fight other more high level monster, can I do that by making a lobby playing people from gaf and beating them for example, or by myself on the guild? Or both

Both, as long as you do certain quests in the gathering hall and the Urgent Quest, you'll advance a rank that'll allow you to take on more monsters, regardless of whether you do it online or offline.

jorgejjvr

Both, as long as you do certain quests in the gathering hall and the Urgent Quest, you'll advance a rank that'll allow you to take on more monsters, regardless of whether you do it online or offline.
OH okay thanks, because I noticed the gathering hall with quests and making a room online seemed separate

Just unlocked the dude who can multiply items and trader stuff, and when i first heard the multiply function I got REAL excited, thinking maybe he can multiply the rarer loots (horns, ears, etc) you get from hunting, but of course it's just herbs and mushrooms....

I would recommend staying with the starting Derring armor for a while. When you can start farming Velociprey/Velocidromes (which is soon after Great Jaggi), go for that armor set. It gives you Attack Up (S) and it's pretty easy to get. It's good for Long Sword users.
I'd keep that one then until High Rank.

wiibomb

Just unlocked the dude who can multiply items and trader stuff, and when i first heard the multiply function I got REAL excited, thinking maybe he can multiply the rarer loots (horns, ears, etc) you get from hunting, but of course it's just herbs and mushrooms....

Monster Hunter is not that easy :)

That becomes pretty valuable later on when you are constantly making potions/mega potions (Blue Mushroom, Herb, Honey) or if you need money (Godbugs). I'd recommend getting started with it now.

sugarless

Yeah, this is basically a simplification of the farming elements from previous MH games, where you could plant/grow mushrooms and herbs, and also produce honey in hives. Hence only organic items are usable. Since you move around villages in this one, they've consolidated all that in the Wycoon character, as otherwise you'd have multiple farms to maintain or would have to go to the place your farm is every time.

bobohoro

HR3! Man we put in some serious work. 3 charge blades going off straight up melting shit.

I think one of us was using a GS, but yeah, that was some seriously beuatiful stuff.

Went into the Gore fight without having faced that thing before and was fearing to cart early, came out 5 minutes later without a scratch and a plate in hand, lovely hunting.

ramyeon

Man that Mohran took way longer with only two people haha. So much easier than Jhen in MH3U though.

I do have to run though as it's 2am here now. Thanks for the help though, Lazy!

ilium

up to what rarity level can you trade stuff with other players?
cause i have a gore plate i don't need, and would be willing to trade it for a chilling beak. (both rarity 5.)

TheExodu5

Banned
What a difference on n3DS. I was just going to play on my 3DS XL, but I tried my friend's n3DS and it runs and looks so much better.

oO_Arekkz_Oo

Neo Member
Hey guys - for those of you starting out, then here's a handy playlist for you:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHc2Wj95htvPWXPxztQYJck1KMTiE7t9v

It's got tutorials for all 14 weapon types, and is continually being updated with new videos. And if you don't want to go trawling through the playlist...

Charge Blade:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7xxRxfmLa4&index=2&list=PLHc2Wj95htvPWXPxztQYJck1KMTiE7t9v

Insect Glaive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIHEYFUDnLY&index=1&list=PLHc2Wj95htvPWXPxztQYJck1KMTiE7t9v

Dual Blades:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4-E-635AH4&index=4&list=PLHc2Wj95htvPWXPxztQYJck1KMTiE7t9v

Long Sword:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDGjk8MVf8c&index=5&list=PLHc2Wj95htvPWXPxztQYJck1KMTiE7t9v

Great Sword:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnb5DYhTTJI&index=6&list=PLHc2Wj95htvPWXPxztQYJck1KMTiE7t9v

Sword and Shield:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alaAvNnEi_4&index=7&list=PLHc2Wj95htvPWXPxztQYJck1KMTiE7t9v

Hammer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJG-i7Yls70&index=12&list=PLHc2Wj95htvPWXPxztQYJck1KMTiE7t9v

Switch Axe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9mRf1gWfT0&index=10&list=PLHc2Wj95htvPWXPxztQYJck1KMTiE7t9v

Hunting Horn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dq6uML1iN0&index=15&list=PLHc2Wj95htvPWXPxztQYJck1KMTiE7t9v

Lance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37ItTR1RJ6Q&index=14&list=PLHc2Wj95htvPWXPxztQYJck1KMTiE7t9v

Gunlance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhbb5xehPio&index=11&list=PLHc2Wj95htvPWXPxztQYJck1KMTiE7t9v

Bow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5J8soWpmls&index=8&list=PLHc2Wj95htvPWXPxztQYJck1KMTiE7t9v

Light Bowgun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrK8HMrvFZY&index=13&list=PLHc2Wj95htvPWXPxztQYJck1KMTiE7t9v

Then there's a video on the finer details of riding monsters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucw6t62gl1Q

And for those of you that haven't picked up the starter kit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG1X1X4mbXs&index=18&list=PLHc2Wj95htvPWXPxztQYJck1KMTiE7t9v

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom