• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugarless

up to what rarity level can you trade stuff with other players?
cause i have a gore plate i don't need, and would be willing to trade it for a chilling beak. (both rarity 5.)

Only up to level 4, which intentionally only lets you give people low-level farmables and craftables. So each hunter needs to personally get all their monster carves and things for making armour and weapons!

Kanhir

Started playing this as a lapsed MH3U player. Man, it feels good to get back into the fray, although I'm rusty as hell.

- Insect Glaive is lovely. The perfect combination of crafty melee and strategic ranged. Also great for buffing up while I'm learning the monster!
- Dual Blades really chew through sharpness this time around. How long before I can get Razor Sharp as an armour skill?

Feebastic

After farming Tetsucabra for his armour (just finished it), is it normal to have like 7 dignified skulls left over? They seem like they're supposed to be the rare drop...

tuffy

After farming Tetsucabra for his armour (just finished it), is it normal to have like 7 dignified skulls left over? They seem like they're supposed to be the rare drop...
Looks like those are a pretty common jaw break part and body carve, actually.

Feebastic

Oh, okay then. Dude's got a lot of skulls.

Anyway, now for Gypceros! I started Monster Hunter with Tri, so I've never faced him before. I hope he likes greatswords in his face

ys45

So is there any low rank hunter left in this thread :p
I'm starting tonight with my friend but I also want to play with GAF .

ACESmkII

So, I just fought
Gore Magala on the ship.
When and how do I do Palicoe quests? I need some new gear for them.

Also, Is there a good guide that explains in depth how skills work?

Renewed

So, I just fought
Gore Magala on the ship.
When and how do I do Palicoe quests? I need some new gear for them.

Also, Is there a good guide that explains in depth how skills work?

You're pretty close to getting those quests.

Also, obtaining skills? From what I gather, you hit a threshold for a skill to obtain it (I think it's usually 10 to get the first tier). Armour skills sometimes have one skill that gets negative points, causing you to learn a skill that detriments you. For that you can equip a talisman with the positive value for that skill to negate the skill.

ilium

poor gravios didn't even have a chance against my new gore magala power shot spread bow with dragon elemental damage. lol.

am i the only one who feels sorry for some of the monsters sometimes, while they crawl away fearing for their life? :(

ys45

Cool, as soon I get my New 3ds and set it up tonight I'm gonna add my code to the sheet on this thread .

Hopefully Il be able to play with some of you guys :)

So is there any low rank hunter left in this thread :p
I'm starting tonight with my friend but I also want to play with GAF .

Still working my way through all the newbie weapon training quests trying to decide on which one i want to focus on. I thought i was gonna go insect glaive, but i've read its not a good beginner weapon. I'm also interested in the bow, but i dont want to have to rely on aiming with the c-nub.

Sword and board seems a little boring, might try dual swords next...

Juraash

So I got spend basically all weekend with the game and it's really fun. Decided to stick with the Greaytword for now even though it isn't my usual forte. Even though I've spent hundreds of hours with the series I feel like I'm super behind the curve by going through all of story/offline first. Ah well, it's still lots of fun.

Also I've seen some talk of the training missions for weapons. Where does one get those? I'm in the second city and I don't recall seeing them. Might be nice to have some consequence free training with the new weapons and ones I'm rusty with.

ilium

Still working my way through all the newbie weapon training quests trying to decide on which one i want to focus on. I thought i was gonna go insect glaive, but i've read its not a good beginner weapon. I'm also interested in the bow, but i dont want to have to rely on aiming with the c-nub.

you can aim with the d-pad as well. much better than the c-nub for this.

So I think I story wise, I'm about to head to the 2nd town. Was able to play online for the first time last night. Man monsters are harder.

Noob question

When you are carving the monsters, does it matter where you're cutting? Like if I carve at the tail, will I get a better chance of getting the tail? Also, I notice that sometimes I would get messages saying a monster's horn or ear has broken. Do all monsters have specific body parts that can break? If so does that affect drops?

Renewed

So I got spend basically all weekend with the game and it's really fun. Decided to stick with the Greaytword for now even though it isn't my usual forte. Even though I've spent hundreds of hours with the series I feel like I'm super behind the curve by going through all of story/offline first. Ah well, it's still lots of fun.

Also I've seen some talk of the training missions for weapons. Where does one get those? I'm in the second city and I don't recall seeing them. Might be nice to have some consequence free training with the new weapons and ones I'm rusty with.

Rank-1 quests. It's basically in the arena and provides a weak G. Jaggi to give you some experience with the weapons.

And cement that G. Jaggi is the punching bag of the series from now on.

Thinking of picking this up after work tonight. I played Monster Hunter Freedom on PSP many moons ago. I tried to play it on Wii U (MHU3), but couldn't remember how to play/what to do and ultimately gave up.

Does this game make it easier on new/returning players when the game starts out?

Thinking of picking this up after work tonight. I played Monster Hunter Freedom on PSP many moons ago. I tried to play it on Wii U (MHU3), but couldn't remember how to play/what to do and ultimately gave up.

Does this game make it easier on new/returning players when the game starts out?

Holds your hands a bit more. The NPCs guides you on what does what. There's also a quest for every weapon that explains how they work. Also there's a "hunter's notes" section in the menu where you can see the controls of the weapons.

So I think I story wise, I'm about to head to the 2nd town. Was able to play online for the first time last night. Man monsters are harder.

Noob question

When you are carving the monsters, does it matter where you're cutting? Like if I carve at the tail, will I get a better chance of getting the tail? Also, I notice that sometimes I would get messages saying a monster's horn or ear has broken. Do all monsters have specific body parts that can break? If so does that affect drops?
No, it does not matter at all. You'll [maybe] get a tail if you break off the tail (and then carve it); you'll [maybe] get an ear if you break the ear, etc.

tuffy

It doesn't matter where on the monster you carve things once it's dead. The tail has to be chopped off to be carved and sticks around in the area as a separate thing for as long as the monster or its corpse is around. All the big monsters have some breakable part which gives extra rewards at the end of the quest.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

-Where you carve doesn't matter

-Most monsters have things that you can either break or cut off. That manifests in three ways:
-Sometimes breaking something means they drop a shiny which might have a rare broken component in it
-If you cut a piece off, like a tail, you can carve the tail itself as an extra carve, which also has a chance of being a rare component such as a "tail"
-Breaking or cutting also increases the chances of the relevant components showing up in the box at the end of the mission. This is the biggest reason why you break stuff generally, since dropping shinys is rarer

wiibomb

Noob question

the first question was answered, about the other, that message you received might be because you completed a subquest, usually subquests are about breaking a monster part, every monster has at least 1 breakable part, and each one has different parts, knowing the monster is key to know which part breaks.

some monsters have some effects after a part is broken, some more in depth as others, for example tetsucabra, the builders it takes from the ground are smaller when the tusks are broken, rathian on the other hand is a more physical effect, when the tail is broken its tail attack ranges are shorter (because of the shorter tail)..

not all breakable parts have effects on the monster, you have to find by yourself on each monster when a part breaks if it has some effect on the monster itself

Slowly working my way through single player with SnS, I'm only on the 3* low rank quests right now... I'll be G Rank sometime in the next six months :p. I'm farming Tetsucabra so I can get his full set of armor.

I added myself to the spreadsheet, send me a PM if you friend me!

ACESmkII

You're pretty close to getting those quests.

Also, obtaining skills? From what I gather, you hit a threshold for a skill to obtain it (I think it's usually 10 to get the first tier). Armour skills sometimes have one skill that gets negative points, causing you to learn a skill that detriments you. For that you can equip a talisman with the positive value for that skill to negate the skill.

Awesome. Thanks!

aka_bueno

Just read the past few pages here and...you can kick a trap to destroy it!?

Why did I never know this, would have save much time before! Thanks MonHunGAF!

Kuntz

Back from work.
Just the time to bake a cake then I'll jump online for roughly 4 hours of gaf hunting.

0LWAHlr.jpg

dwix

I did some searching online but couldn't find anything so I'll try asking here...

Is there a way to share equipment between different characters on the same 3DS?

Feebastic

Nerscylla? More like No-Skill-a!

The new charge moves for Great Sword are absolutely game-changing. Knocking monsters down with a full-power supercharge, charging again, then knocking it back over as soon as it gets up is soooo satisfying.

"Get up! So I can knock you down again!"

Ah thanks for the answers all. Had no idea if a tail came off it was carvable as well. One other thing, so what you carve and what you receive at the end of the hunt are 2 separate things right? Carving is just additional loot for the hunt and not the only reward?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom