• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried my first Kecha Wacha last night in the Urgent Quest to get to the 3 star quests. I couldn't kill it. Would it be particularly helpful to grind for a set of Jaggi armor before attempting him again?

I've settled on Dual Blades for now, they seem the most natural to me (never played a MH before). The others that feel pretty good are SNS and IG... maybe I will try them out a little more.

Reknoc

yes, in your face khezu YEAH!!! I don't care your easy-mode low rank, you gave me so much trouble in Unite at first that going all in on you feels so good SO GOOD.

Anyway now to do this Wyvern Egg quest feat. Rathian, rip me

Any favorite LR Bowgun armor sets? I've been using the Jaggi one because I like decreased reload speads, but i'm curious what you guys think. I know it's not a big deal right now, but I like senseless farming.

Kinsei

Banned
yes, in your face khezu YEAH!!! I don't care your easy-mode low rank, you gave me so much trouble in Unite at first that going all in on you feels so good SO GOOD.

Anyway now to do this Wyvern Egg quest feat. Rathian, rip me

I feel like he's harder in this game. All of the things I conditioned my self to do in MHFU get me hit by MH4U Khezu.

tuffy

Any favorite LR Bowgun armor sets? I've been using the Jaggi one because I like decreased reload speads, but i'm curious what you guys think. I know it's not a big deal right now, but I like senseless farming.
I like Lagombi for heavy bowgunning because of Evade Extender, but I don't see much to choose from for light bowgunning. You may have to just use whatever until Bonus Shot shows up in high rank.

K.Sabot

Random Online Hunting is getting to me guys, I can't do this anymore.

Just ran into a 3* hunt with 3 long sword users (i'm sword n board). Impossible.

Reknoc

I feel like he's harder in this game. All of the things I conditioned my self to do in MHFU get me hit by MH4U Khezu.

His new moves seem like they can be pretty nasty, if I was taking the sort of damage took in MHFU that little spurt at the end of his electric body attack would probably have carted me.

Weird, I got 2 Insect Glaives from the expeditions and one has a ton of green sharpness and 434 raw while the other had smaller but +10 def.

When do you start getting Armor Spheres+? I need to further upgrade my Jaggi gear.

And while I'm at it, would Zamtrios be better than Jaggi gear? It has Ice Attack on it which would increase the ice damage on the Jaw Creepers, but I would lose out on Sharpener which I'm finding a godsend with DS and the amount I have to use whetstones.

At the point where I have to fight and defeat Gore Magala :D

So far I've been using the Stealth Glaive (the Nerscylla Insect Glaive). I see there's a Gore Magala Insect Glaive, the Leumundslist. Would that be a nice upgrade, or shoudl i just stick with the Stealth Glaive and upgrade that for now. Don't know if it'll last me 'till higher rank village quests.

I think I'll do the village lower rank first, then go online. Then do the higher village quests solo, then go online again.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

I don't think he is harder but I did have totally relearn Khezu in MH4U, most of his standard attacks from FU don't come into the mid way point of the fight.

I think what made Khezu so hard in MHFU was that he was the 2 star urgent quest, which meant that it was very possible to reach it without having a green sharpness weapon which meant BOUNCES GALORE.

Owensboro

When does the veggie elder pop up?

On that note, who the hell is the Veggie Elder and what the hell does he do? I've found him, but he either just randomly gives me something useless or I can trade him a unique mushroom for something equally useless. He was at Area 10 of Ancestral Steppe, and I randomly see him at the end of Expeditions.

BossLackey

Gold Member
MH noob here. Currently using switch axe.

I'm having trouble with mobility and range. The axe itself, while un-sheathed makes me fairly slow. Switch to sword, and I might as well have my feet glued to the ground.

I'll attack a monster, but then it will run a way a little bit, and I seem to keep getting in this awkward position where I have to sheathe my weapon, run 20 feet, and then un-sheathe it. I feel like I'm constantly fighting this and I feel that I'm having a lot of missed opportunities to deal damage because of it.

Any advice?

I just started up the game last night and have yet to make it online. I have a question, though. Can you join rooms with your friends easily or do you have to create room and message people the room id number?

Renewed

I just started up the game last night and have yet to make it online. I have a question, though. Can you join rooms with your friends easily or do you have to create room and message people the room id number?

If your friend makes a room, you can go directly to them through the Friend List in-game.

Shiina

At the point where I have to fight and defeat Gore Magala :D

So far I've been using the Stealth Glaive (the Nerscylla Insect Glaive). I see there's a Gore Magala Insect Glaive, the Leumundslist. Would that be a nice upgrade, or shoudl i just stick with the Stealth Glaive and upgrade that for now. Don't know if it'll last me 'till higher rank village quests.

I think I'll do the village lower rank first, then go online. Then do the higher village quests solo, then go online again.

Pondering a similar problem right now. I carved myself a plate while going for feelers one fight and now I have to decide between getting Gore's GS, CB or getting the IG and putting that plate into the glaive's third upgrade. The glaive itself feels pretty mediocre, though. The CB would be my first blue sharpness weapon and the GS even has white sharpness.

Also I'm a glaive user and I'm better with the CB than with the GS.

I'm having trouble with mobility and range. The axe itself, while un-sheathed makes me fairly slow. Switch to sword, and I might as well have my feet glued to the ground.

I'll attack a monster, but then it will run a way a little bit, and I seem to keep getting in this awkward position where I have to sheathe my weapon, run 20 feet, and then un-sheathe it. I feel like I'm constantly fighting this and I feel that I'm having a lot of missed opportunities to deal damage because of it.

Any advice?

That's kind of how the switch axe works early game. You sacrifice a lot of mobility for raw power.
Later in the game, you can get armor sets that give you Evasion and Evade Extender. Those are perfect for switch axe users - you use your dodge-roll as mobility.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Any advice?

This is what monster hunter is about.
If the weapon feels too clunky or slow to you, then it might be time to try something faster like SnS or dual blades.

jchap

Beat Shagal Magala and upgraded all my food. Now for HR 6.

Any advice?

The secret is sheathing... You should do your combo and immediately sheath to get in position again.

Another question:
I'm at 4* Village quests, and I've yet to mount a monster (excluding the ones where you start mounted). Any tips? I've just never really figured it out. Also, does mounting do a great amount of damage or break parts, or is it not worth it?

Any advice?

This is standard actually. When using heavy, and thus slow, weapons you'll do a lot of sheathing. You can get a bonus in damage for hitting on the unsheath strike ( pretty sure there's a skill on some armor sets ). With the switchaxe, if you run up to a monster and hold down the right shoulder along with (both?) attack buttons you can unsheath and strike with the sword. If you don't need to go far to get in range, trying just rolling instead of sheathing. Trying to hit will feel clunky with heavy weapons. But you get used to it and better at it over time. It really is a skill. I'm having to get used to it all over again on the 3DS after being used to playing on the TV.

Seil

Another question:
I'm at 4* Village quests, and I've yet to mount a monster (excluding the ones where you start mounted). Any tips? I've just never really figured it out. Also, does mounting do a great amount of damage or break parts, or is it not worth it?

To mount you need to do jumping attacks. So jump off ledges/walls for most weapons. SnS can charge up a small ledge into a jumping attack too I believe. Then there's the Insect Glaive that can jump whenever and thus is master of mounting lol.

Just have to keep trying til it works. You can deal some okay damage and it can break some parts. It also knocks them down for a moment.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I have save file already.

You sure you didn't already download it? 3DS now allows downloading of updates directly from the OS, no longer requiring going through the eShop.

Edit: Should be able to check Settings (Data Management?) for the download. I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom