• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This fucker has been the most trouble for me. I'm charge blade, but she's so damn fast. Webbed, sleeped, poisoned, and knocked around. All while she zips around. I'm surprised my L button isn't broke by now.

It's even worse because I want the armor.
Have you tried a faster weapon?

REALLY dumb question here, gang. What's the pink disk for in the gore magala figurine set?

Also, I got two pins in my CE box. I'm not special, right?

Cerity

This fucker has been the most trouble for me. I'm charge blade, but she's so damn fast. Webbed, sleeped, poisoned, and knocked around. All while she zips around. I'm surprised my L button isn't broke by now.

It's even worse because I want the armor.

Do you have the autoguard charm equipped? I found it helped quite a bit during the first few times I fought it.

If you're having trouble with the monsters flying all over the area, leave your palicoes behind. The palicoes are nice and all but the monsters are so much more predictable without them around.

Elija2

Just noticed that there's a setting in the options to reduce the visual effects. I wonder if that helps with the frame rate a bit on the old 3DS'.

Kinsei

Banned
Apologies if this has been answered dozens of times, but I'm new to MH. How do you unlock all the bonus skins/items? Amiibos?

For the Mario and Luigi outfits for your cats download the 1.1 patch, go to the cat in your house, choose DLC, then Gift. That will give you the items to make the outfits. The other event weapons, armor, and cat armor will be released as free DLC later on.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I never really enjoyed any of the handheld MH games. But geez I'm really enjoying 4. The improved mechanics really went a long way towards my enjoyment :D

Unicorn

Have you tried a faster weapon?

No. I was a bow main in 3u. The drip of weapons available has been weak early game. I'm thinking glaive as a secondary, but need to look up a kinsect guide before diving into that.

Do you have the autoguard charm equipped? I found it helped quite a bit during the first few times I fought it.

If you're having trouble with the monsters flying all over the area, leave your palicoes behind. The palicoes are nice and all but the monsters are so much more predictable without them around.
Haven't found any good charms yet. I like my cats because they toggle the monster's attention so I can slip in a pot. And they occasionally knock me out of sleep stun.

aka_bueno

Ugh, made goldenfish bait and caught normal sized goldenfish and not the small one. Any tips?

Just pull the bait out of the water if you see another fish is going to take it.

As soon as you throw the bait in the water, all the fish in there will automatically start to move and position themselves to eat it. A lot of times the fish with their back to the bait won't be able to turn around fast enough to make it to the bait compared to the other fish that might have been facing the bait already or were just closer to the bait.

Just keep throwing and pulling the bait out until you physically see the small goldenfish winning the race to the bait, then just let it eat it and boom!

Cerity

Just noticed that there's a setting in the options to reduce the visual effects. I wonder if that helps with the frame rate a bit on the old 3DS'.

Pretty sure this is for the blood splatters, there are different sized blood splatters depending where on the monster you've hit. Toggling it off in 3U toned the blood down.

2 going on 3. Everyone keeps wiping on the Gore something or other.

Gore Magala is, in my opinion, the first big wall in MH4. Whilst it's attacks are pretty heavily telegraphed, no preceding monster in HR 1-2 hits anywhere near as hard as it does. It can take quite a few tries before your teammates really learn its attack patterns.

Haven't been too troubled by deaths online. Only had one round where we almost lost, and it was because someone thought they could take on HR Tetsu in a mixed set (no skills) of rare 2 armor. Needless to say we kicked him before running pink Rathian.

Fun stuff.

Yeah, just keep reentering until it appears. The fishing quests can take a while (stupid speartuna).
Just wait till you want Ancient Fish.

Kinsei

Banned
When fighting Gore what causes me to get that purple bar that fills up, and what happens when it fully fills up?

His virus attacks (bite, virus balls, and those pools that appear) are what causes it to appear. If it fills up you'll stop regenerating your red health and you'll take extra damage when hit. If you deal enough damage to him before it fills up you'll get an affinity boost.

Just wait till you want Ancient Fish.

I take it that's the final fishing quest?

Gaz_RB

Gore Magala is, in my opinion, the first big wall in MH4. Whilst it's attacks are pretty heavily telegraphed, no preceding monster in HR 1-2 hits anywhere near as hard as it does. It can take quite a few tries before your teammates really learn its attack patterns.

Yeah especially because no one seems to know what the virus does. He's fun though.

His virus attacks (bite, virus balls, and those pools that appear) are what causes it to appear. If it fills up you'll stop regenerating your red health and you'll take extra damage when hit. If you deal enough damage to him before it fills up you'll get an affinity boost.

I take it that's the final fishing quest?
No, it's a crafting material.

And yeah, if someone joins your room and posts a quest (which will invariably be a non-key quest for a monster you have no interest in fighting), tell them to cancel and join yours first. Give them 30 seconds. If they refuse and you cannot kick them, be prepared to leave the lobby. Don't let the terrorists win.

Shengar

What is the best ranged weapon for hunting little bugs? I want to use bowgun, but not all bowgun can use poison shot.

So what is the proper online etiquette when a random person joins the room, posts a quest without saying anything, and then telling everyone to do it?

I think that's very rude. Personally when I joined a room, I never take a quest until the host say so or the room is specifically for farming certain monster.

tuffy

What is the best ranged weapon for hunting little bugs? I want to use bowgun, but not all bowgun can use poison shot.
If you need to carve bugs, I would actually recommend poison bombs. Even with poison shot it's too easy to blast them apart without meaning to - while the bombs are able to poison them to death usually after 5-10 seconds. Just wait for the bugs to get close and let em have it.

No. I was a bow main in 3u. The drip of weapons available has been weak early game. I'm thinking glaive as a secondary, but need to look up a kinsect guide before diving into that.

Haven't found any good charms yet. I like my cats because they toggle the monster's attention so I can slip in a pot. And they occasionally knock me out of sleep stun.
Tbh with the glaive I found in an expedition run I managed to wreck that spider easily but I'm pretty sure I ruined the bug somehow.

That is actually pretty rude.

They're being douchebags. Tell them to do a quest or two before posting their own and if they refuse kick them.

I think that's very rude. Personally when I joined a room, I never take a quest until the host say so or the room is specifically for farming certain monster.

I thought so too, I didn't say anything mean, but we did tell the person that they'll have to wait their turn to post something since he/she just joined.

Shengar

If you need to carve bugs, I would actually recommend poison bombs. Even with poison shot it's too easy to blast them apart without meaning to - while the bombs are able to poison them to death usually after 5-10 seconds. Just wait for the bugs to get close and let em have it.

Yeah I know that option. But still, I only have 6 toadstool mushroom at the moment and Wycoon is currently multiplying something else.

R0ckman

A question about Gore Magala HunterGAF, I was looking through the cut scenes again and remebered the first time I fought him in story mode, during my first encounter he went demon mode immediately, the other times it was treated as a part two to the fight when he was on the ropes. If you fight him the first time does he stay in demon mode the entire battle? It just doesn't seem right that he goes into ass kick rage mode right when the fight begins.

Prototype

Went on an expedition and WOW just got a GS that's about 200 more powerful then anything I have, + 200 water and +10 defense lol.

Just randomly got it and polished it in Harth. Lol. I love it.

Kinsei

Banned
A question about Gore Magala HunterGAF, I was looking through the cut scenes again and remebered the first time I fought him in story mode, during my first encounter he went demon mode immediately, the other times it was treated as a part two to the fight when he was on the ropes. If you fight him the first time does he stay in demon mode the entire battle? It just doesn't seem right that he goes into ass kick rage mode right when the fight begins.

Nah, he doesn't stay in that mode permanently. Deal enough damage and he'll get out of it.

Cerity

Made a barroth set, gemmed out hunger and gemmed up guard+ and Attack M. Actually pretty decent given it's an LR armour.

Time to take on gore magala again :D

Shengar

Made a barroth set, gemmed out hunger and gemmed up guard+ and Attack M. Actually pretty decent given it's an LR armour.

Time to take on gore magala again :D

Considering how hard a Gore Magala is, I prefer Defense (S) over Attack (M)
But yeah, Barroth set is pretty good

Xtyle

Furstrated. How do I equip armor? I bought a bunch of gears and when I go in equipment screen I can't press button on any piec of current equipment to switch to new ones...I found only way to do the switch is at the purchase menu right after I buy the gear. And i back out without equipping, I can't figure out how to do it.

This is extremely frustrating

rpmurphy

Furstrated. How do I equip armor? I bought a bunch of gears and when I go in equipment screen I can't press button on any piec of current equipment to switch to new ones...I found only way to do the switch is at the purchase menu right after I buy the gear. And i back out without equipping, I can't figure out how to do it.

This is extremely frustrating
Go into your house and open the box there to manage your equipment, create sets, etc.

Astarte

I don't know if I like Gotcha Bitch or glaive ez mode more. Satisfying murder or mounts4dayz? I cleared the gore magala's ass out enough times to get bored of him, time for 5 star!

vehn

So is it feasible to just play multiplayer in the guild quests, and not really do any of the village quests? I'm not sure if it will let you forge armor for bosses only killed in guild quests. . .

Kinsei

Banned
So is it feasible to just play multiplayer in the guild quests, and not really do any of the village quests? I'm not sure if it will let you forge armor for bosses only killed in guild quests. . .

It will let you forge gear from multiplayer kills but you'll miss out on kitchen upgrades, Wycoon upgrades, apex stone (THESE ARE VERY IMPORTANT), and the village only monsters.

Beat the Gore Magala. Took two tries, but I figured out that being underneath him and slashing at his underbelly is pretty safe. Gonna have to beat him a few times since I want to dragon LS and hammer. Also, when I fought the spider thing online, I figured out you can "ledge cancel" you going to sleep by going right next to a ledge as you fall down into sleep, then you'll fall off the ledge and not be asleep or drowsy anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom