• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKrockin

Gigginox >>>>>>>> Khezu

Beat the Gore Magala. Took two tries, but I figured out that being underneath him and slashing at his underbelly is pretty safe. Gonna have to beat him a few times since I want to dragon LS and hammer. Also, when I fought the spider thing online, I figured out you can "ledge cancel" you going to sleep by going right next to a ledge as you fall down into sleep, then you'll fall off the ledge and not be asleep or drowsy anymore.
Yesterday I discovered you can cancel sheathing animations by dropping off a ledge too. Good to know for the lance's long-ass animation.

JoeFu

Banned
Been having so much fun with this game. Been playing with a friend who is just now getting into MH. Really happy to see how much he's enjoying it as well. So far only HR2 but we've got Rath on farm at the moment.

Been using the switch axe and having so much fun. Not sure why I never tried it in MH3U.

Kyzer

Banned
Does it take a while to be able to play with friends? As of now me and my friend can hang out in the gathering hall but we can't figure out how to quest together

Does it take a while to be able to play with friends? As of now me and my friend can hang out in the gathering hall but we can't figure out how to quest together

If you can hang, you can quest. Take a quest from the lady in yellow at the counter, and then have your friend accept it from the quest board. Bam, you're together.

(Somewhat confusingly, caravan quests from outside the Hall cannot be done together - multiplayer and single player progression are separate.)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

You can play together right away. One of you go get a quest from the counter on the left. Once you have it, the other should go read the big notice board near the top of the room, and select the quest. Then they need to walk up to the door and press A to signal that they're ready, and you'll hear a little bell sound. Then you, as the quest runner, walk up to the door, hit A, and you're on your way

1 or 2 needed quests to be precise, there are a lot more quests in 6*. I made the mistake and just switched to HR but missed out on some new monsters and the elder dragon materials.

Interesting. I ought to take another look because I just had my first triple cart against the Emerald Congalala.

Are hammer's better at "breaking" or wounding body part's that aren't hard? Like the Gore Magala's head and wings.

After trying with my hammer rather than my LS, I can say hammer definitely breaks/wounds body parts faster than my LS. However, my hammer has 500+ power, while my LS is ~330.

Neonsands

Neo Member
Just finished my urgent Gore hunt. Oh man, if that wasn't the closest I've come to losing so far. Two deaths, and countless near. Both came from basically instagibs. Oh man, how exciting. 3 traps, 4 large bombs, 60 power coatings, poison, paralyze, sleep, and a whole lot of healing. Thank goodness I prepped before heading in.

I think I need to take a breather after that.

Thought about farming up the S Magala armor, but I'm still not quite getting two shotted by everything, so I think I'll stick with my Nerscylla armor a bit more.

Plus negative everything besides water and dragon isn't the best.

ugoo18

Wait DSP is playing Monster hunter 4 Ultimate........ This is going to make that Dark Souls 1 playthrough look amazing lol.

Mistle

Man I suck at this game. Tetsukabra kills me 3 times before running away, repeatedly (on expeditions). I feel I've pretty much gotten grips on the charge blade, but I just get hit over and over. I can't manage to dodge or block anything.

Kyzer

Banned
You can play together right away. One of you go get a quest from the counter on the left. Once you have it, the other should go read the big notice board near the top of the room, and select the quest. Then they need to walk up to the door and press A to signal that they're ready, and you'll hear a little bell sound. Then you, as the quest runner, walk up to the door, hit A, and you're on your way

If you can hang, you can quest. Take a quest from the lady in yellow at the counter, and then have your friend accept it from the quest board. Bam, you're together.

(Somewhat confusingly, caravan quests from outside the Hall cannot be done together - multiplayer and single player progression are separate.)

Excellent. When did they explain this ><

Man I suck at this game. Tetsukabra kills me 3 times before running away, repeatedly (on expeditions). I feel I've pretty much gotten grips on the charge blade, but I just get hit over and over. I can't manage to dodge or block anything.
git gud

Wait for openings and study his attack patterns. Don't always try to hit the face as it isn't a safe spot. Use your sheild and get your guard point timings right with the CB

Pejo

That sonofabitch Gore Magala, Had a few randoms die to him early, only for us to chase him to his sleeping nest. I get in a few good hits, ready for a big charge blade axe ultra attack, and he one shots me with about 60% HP remaining, 2 defense buffs, and felyne defender. Cheap cheap cheap ass shit.

As a sidenote, anyone free to help me out with Gore Magala?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I wanted to farm shageru magala to upgrade my GS but I noticed the only way to farm shageru magala is from the advanced quest in 6star quests.

That's gonna be frustrating.

Also unless the wiki is wrong there is no low rank shageru magala in guild quests? Only G rank it looks like.

The wiki has to be wrong or incomplete as hell.

Garou

So I wanted to farm shageru magala to upgrade my GS but I noticed the only way to farm shageru magala is from the advanced quest in 6star quests.

That's gonna be frustrating.

Also unless the wiki is wrong there is no low rank shageru magala in guild quests? Only G rank it looks like.

The wiki has to be wrong or incomplete as hell.
The urgent guildhall-quest from 6-star to 7-star is Shagaru Magala.

Alternatively Guild Quests Lv. 51-85 are also High Rank Shagaru Magala.

The final low-rank village-quest also includes him, but is not really low-rank.

Excellent. When did they explain this ><

For all that it has a fairly elaborate tutorial section, the game is not great at explaining certain things it really needs to explain.
emot-v.gif
Basically as soon as you can enter the Gathering Hall you can do multiplayer, and the devs seem to expect you to get all that once the Caravaneer mentions it's open.

Meanwhile, here's a question: is there anyone willing to help out with The Gypceros Project for rank 1, specifically? I've had a devil of a time getting a good group for that, and while it could be soloed, fuck fighting a Gypceros alone.
emot-v.gif
I've got all the tranq bombs and the trap I need, so I could just use some warm bodies. Anyone game? Might be rolling into Nerscylla right afterward, if people feel up for it.

Got a room set up: 53-2662-5109-1176. Passcode 2345.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The urgent guildhall-quest from 6-star to 7-star is Shagaru Magala.

Alternatively Guild Quests Lv. 51-85 are also High Rank Shagaru Magala.

The final low-rank village-quest also includes him, but is not really low-rank.

Meaning that shageru magala is really just a high rank monster at the end of low rank village?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I had a productive night. Got to high rank in village quests and HR3 in guild quests. Feels good.

When is high rank guild? 5?

For all that it has a fairly elaborate tutorial section, the game is not great at explaining certain things it really needs to explain.
emot-v.gif
Basically as soon as you can enter the Gathering Hall you can do multiplayer, and the devs seem to expect you to get all that once the Caravaneer mentions it's open.

Meanwhile, here's a question: is there anyone willing to help out with The Gypceros Project for rank 1, specifically? I've had a devil of a time getting a good group for that, and while it could be soloed, fuck fighting a Gypceros alone.
emot-v.gif
I've got all the tranq bombs and the trap I need, so I could just use some warm bodies. Anyone game? Might be rolling into Nerscylla right afterward, if people feel up for it.

Got a room set up: 53-2662-5109-1176. Passcode 2345.
How long you gonna be around? And what rank do you have to be to join? Reason I ask is because I wouldn't mind going online but I haven't done any guild quests yet just village.

How long you gonna be around? And what rank do you have to be to join? Reason I ask is because I wouldn't mind going online but I haven't done any guild quests yet just village.

I'll be around for a few hours, but I'd hope I don't have to wait quite that long.
emot-v.gif

Feel free to join up, though, but remember I'm looking to capture the Gypceros, not kill it.

Also there's no rank requirement for any room joining, and this is rank 1 regardless.

Garou

Meaning that shageru magala is really just a high rank monster at the end of low rank village?

Kind of. There is some loot that you get a bit more of in the low-rank village quests, but you also get them in most high-rank ones.
If you want to farm him fast and efficient: Get a Guild Quest around Lv. 50 for him.
He is also the easiest to farm in high/Max Lvl Guild Quests but still gives the highest grade excavated weapons and armor, so that route is highly recommended.

Teknoman

Do we just have GAF rooms and universal GAF passwords like back in 3? I wont be in things until I get my system tomorrow (hopefully UPS...) and transfer everything, but just wondering.

Scher

Do we just have GAF rooms and universal GAF passwords like back in 3? I wont be in things until I get my system tomorrow (hopefully UPS...) and transfer everything, but just wondering.

So far from what I've seen, people have just been posting in this thread when they are starting a room and what for.

Qurupeke

Woo finally received my copy! I guess that happens when you preorder one day before the release...

Also, first time noticing that the cover monster in EU is not Gore Magala...

Ristlager

Is LS damage severly nerfed since mhfu, or is it totally depended on getting the charge level up to white/red for it to work? I consider myself as a fairly good ls mhfu player, but my time taking down monsters in mh4u with ls, is tripple than my time using the hammer. Both weapons are upgraded three times, so they should have similiar stats.

I'll be around for a few hours, but I'd hope I don't have to wait quite that long.
emot-v.gif

Feel free to join up, though, but remember I'm looking to capture the Gypceros, not kill it.

Also there's no rank requirement for any room joining, and this is rank 1 regardless.
Pitfalls are welcome yes? I'll try to be on as soon as I get out of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom