• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ristlager

It would make aiming for tails super annoying and you're gonna want to cut a lot of tails.

No It would not. Stop talking about how lock on would ruin this game when there is a game on the market that has it and the only thing permanent lock on does is make it a bit easier. Because you are in full control the whole time. Evasion and hitting parts is much less troublesome.

JimPanzer

No It would not. Stop talking about how lock on would ruin this game when there is a game on the market that has it and the only thing permanent lock on does is make it a bit easier. Because you are in full control the whole time. Evasion and hitting parts is much less troublesome.

what game are you talking about? toukiden? fundamentally different mechanics...

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
how do you guys progress through the game?

My plan is to finish all the village quest/expeditions in the first village, then do a round of HR (maybe all low rank), then proceed to new village. Sounds like a plan?

JimPanzer

My plan is to finish all the village quest/expeditions in the first village, then do a round of HR (maybe all low rank), then proceed to new village. Sounds like a plan?

you will revisit villages for quests and I think expeditions are endless ;)

I'm just doing whatever I like...currently farming weapon materials to get a better water element weapon, which will make farming stygian zinogre for his set much easier

Kane1345

Same, I'm just doing what I feel like. Most of the time I play online with friends but I just dabble in SP here and there doing story stuff and getting more villages. It's all fun in the end
except the egg shit grrr

I just do the missions in whichever order I feel like, if it looks like I'll be able to find materials to upgrade my weapon I'll focus on that for a bit before progressing. Volcano just opened up for me, which tends to mean another upgrade will become available as that area usually has a lot of new ores. On that note though, this game's Volcano area being a re-textured version of a prior area is a bit disappointing.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
My favorite quest so far is the egg transporting one with the Rathalos chasing you. I remember running from it in 3U so I was like fuck it, I'll kill it this time. It blew my mind when to tilted the nesting area with its attacks.

JimPanzer

He's talking about the iOS MHFU port which in fact doesn't control all that well

haven't played that.
in general auto lock on is great for the beginning but in the long run it'll hinder you, especially if you get to accustomed to it. same in dark souls, I had to learn not to rely on the auto lock on to actually improve.

I adore the stick on the n3ds, even prefer it over a 2nd analog. With a analog I tend to go diagonally if I just want to go horizontally or vertically, doesn't happen with the little nub.

Ristlager

I believe in auto-lock on when I see someone destroying g-rank monsters on the ipad version :)

Have done every quest (yes g rank and monster hunter final quest) in the game on my iPad, so that is no problem. As I wrote earlier it makes it a tad easier. If you are a fan you should check it out. It is by far the best version of mhfu (better than the vita version).

MrPanic

I'm doing Low Rank Caravan, Low Rank Guild, High Rank Caravan, High Rank Guild, etc. Or at least that's the plan. I think I'm on the last lr caravan quest right now
(Shagaru Magala?)
so it's almost time for some guild quests. It's been taking a while since I can't help but to clear every quest there is before moving on to the next rank, which turned out to be a bit more annoying this time since the boring quests usually take longer than the kill monster missions since all the monsters die so quickly in low rank.

JimPanzer

Have done every quest (yes g rank and monster hunter final quest) in the game on my iPad, so that is no problem. As I wrote earlier it makes it a tad easier. If you are a fan you should check it out. It is by far the best version of mhfu (better than the vita version).

definitely will try it out when I get an ios device, but I'm still not convinced ;)

Pachimari

Finally got going with the game and is now at Challenge 3 by the Caravaneer in the start. I'll do all of the weapon tutorials after completing the third challenge. And I have access to the Gathering Hall now. Unfortunately, Bergsala haven't moved my Nintendo ID yet but hopefully later this week.

Ristlager

definitely will try it out when I get an ios device, but I'm still not convinced ;)

I do not know how they made the controls work the way they do, because no other game I have tried on the ipad has made touch controls work. But it really is flawless. And it looks amazing on the retina screen. After a short amount of time mh4u on my og3ds, I think that game really doesn't hold a candle to the mhfu on ios. Small ass screen, worse controls, no lock on, worse graphics.. And no farm :(

But my hunts in 4u hasn't been the most exciting yet, so we'll see how it fares when I approach g rank..

I enjoy MH4U but I really don't like the very VERY slow pacing, the uninteresting stupid story and the changing of the city's just after doing a few missions.
I also couldn't buy any essential stuff like blue mushrooms, bomb material, honey or even just potions, that's extremely annoying and I hate it that you get the option to just buy the potion.
Is there a good way to get the stuff other than just doing collecting in missions?
That would suck bad.
You can use the lady order stuff but I get way too few of the ordered stuff.
Also, I don't like that they try to do more cinematic stuff, every "big" monster has an unskippable cutscene, way too much dialog in game and in the town which all can't be skipped or changed.
I don't enjoy farming that much in MHFU but at least I could grind it fast to give me essential and useful stuff and was really useful in the beginning.
You could make easy money with selling power seeds, get honey and mushrooms and basic insects, fish and ore.
Later in the game (especially if you played with friends) it was a burden and too much time consuming (wish I could just tell them to do everything automatically) but it was still good to use time to time.
I just played a few hours and I see myself as an veteran of MHF2, Unite and 3rd on the PSP,
And I do really enjoy stuff like that the cat is actually useful in fights, faster mobility, climbing, jumping and the new monsters and stages (that spider was really cool and I really liked the frog thing too).

Maybe you guys have some tips how I can "fix" my issues with the game.
I just recently killed the first Congalala, so I'm really at the beginning.
I will just keep playing but I'm bit annoyed that it's WAY slower than Unite.
Hopefully most of my mentioned stuff will get fixed later in the game.
You are a Monster Hunter veteran so I don't get most of your complaints. Pretty much everything you mentioned will improve/unlock as you PROGRESS through the game.

This is the exact feeling I have. And I have to add the climbing everywhere is annoying. Coming from the flat environments from mhfu, I find all the up and down and obstacles in the areas troublesome. But I am still very early in the game, so this might change. But so far mhfu is far above it in gameplay and getting to the point much faster.
? Climbing in MHFU is super slow, and you have to go through huge ass mountains to move around the map, to make things worse, monsters flee more often and they don't wait for too long either.

Reknoc

I'm swimming in cash and points and it's making me feel like I'm doing something wrong lol

Beat the urgent Gore last night, wrecked it, decided to go a round this morning to get the scales I need for my glaive and it beat me within an inch of my life lol, carted once and almost carted a 2nd time... after he limped off to sleep ._________.

Ristlager

You are a Monster Hunter veteran so I don't get most of your complaints. Pretty much everything you mentioned will improve/unlock as you PROGRESS through the game.

? Climbing in MHFU is super slow, and you have to go through huge ass mountains to move around the map, to make things worse, monsters flee more often and they don't wait for too long either.

But in MHFU it's only the snowy mountain that had climbing, and only to get to the top areas, there wasn't several climbs in each area. But this is a intended design element in the game so I hope it grows on me.

MrPanic

Just killed Shagaru for the first time, again disappointed how short the fight lasted but it was a fun fight so what-evs. The cutscene after it was cute though.

So when does high rank in the Caravan start? Doesn't seem like there is a clear start for it.

NewGame

Banned
Expedition monster would be available for online ganking if you got their guild quest entry.

Like when they drop a shiny and you pick it up or if you kill the monster? Or capture them? How do you start the quest? Where can I find them? What's the actual procedure for it?

Shengar

Like when they drop a shiny and you pick it up or if uyou kill the monster? Or capture them? How do you start the quest? Where can I find them? What's the actual procedure for it?
So far, two Velocidrome guild quest I got are from killing them. I guess you must capture or kill them for the guild quest have higher chance to appear.

NewGame

Banned
So far, two Velocidrome guild quest I got are from killing them. I guess you must capture or kill them for the guild quest have higher chance to appear.

So where do the quests appear? Is there a special location? Do I just go up to the guildie at the meeting hall? How do I post the quest so others can join?

How to use expedition hunts with friends:

1. Complete a quest yourself, making sure you get the shiny drop or a kill on a monster, anything that gives you the 'guild card issued' message.
2. Go to the meeting hall.
3. Press start and go to 'Guild Quests'
4. You will see all your successful hunts on the Quest Pool page, you need to tick them and then select 'register quest'; this will move it to the Registered Quest page.
5. Talk to the guildie in the meeting hall of the appropriate rank and select the yellow 'Guild Quest' button on the touch screen, any quest you have registered will show up here.
6. Select the quest and it will be posted to the quest board.
7. REKT ALL THE THINGS

JimPanzer

so I got a silver tick under my 6* village quest and still no sign of the elder dragon quests - do I have to finish quests from lower ranks too?

Dear god I am having so much fun

Love this game. 4th Gen monster hunter was long overdue and its glorious. Im a bow users but I just bring myself to stop using Great Sword

I used to always use it early on in every other monster hunter game since its the quickest high damage and easy to upgrade weapon at the start of every game. THIS ONE INCLUDED!

Now I cant stop using it. The new moves are SICK! I am just wrecking everything and damn does it feel good

Shengar

So where do the quests appear? Is there a special location? Do I just go up to the guildie at the meeting hall? How do I post the quest so others can join?
You received after the expedition done. But before you can take the quest for online play, you must add it to your quest list. Check your menu, if play a lot of expedition there is high chance you have some.

Kinsei

Banned
so I got a silver tick under my 6* village quest and still no sign of the elder dragon quests - do I have to finish quests from lower ranks too?

You need to reach high rank in the guild hall to unlock most of the ones you're missing. To unlock the final one you need to do every village quest from 1* to 6*.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom