• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khezu

Well the game may look like complete shit, the smooth framerate, and quick loading makes up for it IMO.

Especially the loading.

Yudoken

I enjoy MH4U but I really don't like the very VERY slow pacing, the uninteresting stupid story and the changing of the city's just after doing a few missions.
I also couldn't buy any essential stuff like blue mushrooms, bomb material, honey or even just potions, that's extremely annoying and I hate it that you get the option to just buy the potion.
Is there a good way to get the stuff other than just doing collecting in missions?
That would suck bad.
You can use the lady order stuff but I get way too few of the ordered stuff.
Also, I don't like that they try to do more cinematic stuff, every "big" monster has an unskippable cutscene, way too much dialog in game and in the town which all can't be skipped or changed.
I don't enjoy farming that much in MHFU but at least I could grind it fast to give me essential and useful stuff and was really useful in the beginning.
You could make easy money with selling power seeds, get honey and mushrooms and basic insects, fish and ore.
Later in the game (especially if you played with friends) it was a burden and too much time consuming (wish I could just tell them to do everything automatically) but it was still good to use time to time.
I just played a few hours and I see myself as an veteran of MHF2, Unite and 3rd on the PSP,
And I do really enjoy stuff like that the cat is actually useful in fights, faster mobility, climbing, jumping and the new monsters and stages (that spider was really cool and I really liked the frog thing too).

Maybe you guys have some tips how I can "fix" my issues with the game.
I just recently killed the first Congalala, so I'm really at the beginning.
I will just keep playing but I'm bit annoyed that it's WAY slower than Unite.
Hopefully most of my mentioned stuff will get fixed later in the game.

RobbieNick

FUCK YOU GYPCAROS!! I thought the Qurupeco was annoying in 3U, but this guy is basically Qurupeco with the ability to spit balls of poison at you AND blind you to dizzyness over and over! What the hell? I was doing great until this annoying A-Hole came along. What's the best weapon against him? I'm giving up on my dual blades and working on getting a new hammer. That was always pretty effective against the Qurupeco for me.

Teknoman

I enjoy MH4U but I really don't like the very VERY slow pacing, the uninteresting stupid story and the changing of the city's just after doing a few missions.
I also couldn't buy any essential stuff like blue mushrooms, bomb material, honey or even just potions, that's extremely annoying and I hate it that you get the option to just buy the potion.
Is there a good way to get the stuff other than just doing collecting in missions?
That would suck bad.
Also, I don't like that they try to do more cinematic stuff, every "big" monster has an unskippable cutscene, way too much dialog in game and in the town which all can't be skipped or changed.
I don't enjoy farming that much in MHFU but at least I could grind it fast to give me essential and useful stuff and was really useful in the beginning.
You could make easy money with selling power seeds, get honey and mushrooms and basic insects, fish and ore.
Later in the game (especially if you played with friends) it was a burden and too much time consuming (wish I could just tell them to do everything automatically) but it was still good to use time to time.
I just played a few hours and I see myself as an veteran of MHF2, Unite and 3rd on the PSP,
And I do really enjoy stuff like that the cat is actually useful in fights, faster mobility, climbing, jumping and the new monsters and stages (that spider was really cool and I really liked the frog thing too).

Monster introductions are a staple of the series arent they?

Reknoc

FUCK YOU GYPCAROS!! I thought the Qurupeco was annoying in 3U, but this guy is basically Qurupeco with the ability to spit balls of poison at you AND blind you to dizzyness over and over! What the hell? I was doing great until this annoying A-Hole came along. What's the best weapon against him? I'm giving up on my dual blades and working on getting a new hammer. That was always pretty effective against the Qurupeco for me.

Lance is pretty good, can easily get his head to break his flash and you can block whenever he solar flares.

Ristlager

That would suck bad.

This is the exact feeling I have. And I have to add the climbing everywhere is annoying. Coming from the flat environments from mhfu, I find all the up and down and obstacles in the areas troublesome. But I am still very early in the game, so this might change. But so far mhfu is far above it in gameplay and getting to the point much faster.

Kane1345

What is the cover like for EU copy? Better than NA?

FUCK YOU GYPCAROS!! *snip*

When he does his flashy thing, if you see it coming, turn your face away from him and 90% of the time you went get flashed. I like using hammer against him, pretty good for one hit and get out and you also knock him over a lot

Sillverrr

Having great fun noobing it up. Killed the spider with my hammer, but I'm in desperate need of upgrading my gear. However, I have no idea what I should be aiming for; any tips?
Ideally, I'd like to keep using hammers, but I have NO idea in terms of armour.

My current equipment is:
Bone Bludgeon+
Jaggi Helm
Tetsu Mail
Hunter's Vambraces (relic)
Rhenoplos Coil
Jaggi Greaves
Bishop Talisman (which is of no use unless I switch weapons).

Thanks in advance.

RobbieNick

What is the cover like for EU copy? Better than NA?

When he does his flashy thing, if you see it coming, turn your face away from him and 90% of the time you went get flashed. I like using hammer against him, pretty good for one hit and get out and you also knock him over a lot

Sounds good. I've always been more of a hammer guy anyway.

Krogan

When should I start seeing Jewels? I just hit HR4 in the online, but my single player is just after the first expedition.

Pila

I think I added all the EU people (and more) from the spreadsheet, if you're still waiting for my confirm please send me a PM here on GAF.

I liked playing with the starter armor for a while, having very low defence makes sense when you start. Time to forge something now...

Kane1345

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate debuted at about 110k in Europe, which is more than twice that of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (no US data, since Nintendo didn't publish it in the US).

Not bad, let's hope it continues to sell

Gypceros is tricksy like a hobbit. If you have a weapon that can block, you can shield your eyes from the flash. Otherwise you have to face the other way from the flashing horn, and pray to the RNG gods that you don't get unlucky. Personally I start running away if I see the horn flash, and start positioning myself for a jump attack. A hammer user should be able to reliably break the gem after a while, so you'll be able to get your revenge soon enough.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Having great fun noobing it up. Killed the spider with my hammer, but I'm in desperate need of upgrading my gear. However, I have no idea what I should be aiming for; any tips?
Ideally, I'd like to keep using hammers, but I have NO idea in terms of armour.

My current equipment is:
Bone Bludgeon+
Jaggi Helm
Tetsu Mail
Hunter's Vambraces (relic)
Rhenoplos Coil
Jaggi Greaves
Bishop Talisman (which is of no use unless I switch weapons).

Thanks in advance.
At the start of the game you should aim to craft a full set in order to have some skills activated. In the shop, while having a piece of equipement selected press Y. You'll see a chart with rows for skills and columns for each piece of equipement (the one you have selected for its slot and the one you have equiped for the other slots).

Each piece of equipment gives you some points towards a few skill but those skills are only active if you have 10 points (some will give you a boost if you get to 15 or 20).

Defense is only one part of the benefits an armor gives you, skills get pretty important FAST. For example there are huge synergies between certain weapon types and certain armor sets due to skills getting activated. For example since Dual Blades eat through sharpness fast, skills reducing sharpness consumption are really helpfull.

In the end game you'll be able to mix and match to customize your active skill loadout but at first remember this : FULL SETS! :D

I hope I was clear but I'm sure you can find resources online being more informative than me!

PS : Have fun!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Use hit and run tactics and go at him from his sides. Always stay behind him or to his side, you can avoid most of his attacks that way.

Sorry about this being stupidly late, but...

You want to hit the monster in the right spot. Sometimes it's the head, sometimes it's the tail and so on... having a real lock-on would be a pain in order to do that.

Spend time with the game and always keep the monster on camera, it works fine.
The point of it is good players will attack certain points of the monster to break parts or do the most damage. Lance players who kill things by precisely poking the squishy bits would be screwed over by a full lock on because the camera would be constantly be moving and screwing up their aim, making their weapon bounce off claws and tusks. At least that's how I feel as a lance player. Same goes for greatsword. I would be pissed if slight camera movements made me miss what would have been a perfectly placed level 3 charge to the face.
A lock on won't work in MH tbh.

There's a lot to do with positioning and awareness that'd get completely shut out if they added a lock on system. You often break or cut certain parts of the monsters and there's quite a few situations where you're dealing with more than one large monster at a time, which all act independently.

It's more demanding but it's straight up better to be constantly adjusting the camera for what the game allows you to do.
the game is just probably not for you. What you find stupid is in fact a core mechanic.

Well, I understand what you guys are pointing out, and it does make sense, but considering the game already gives you the option to switch between simple 'rotate towards where you're facing' and the brief lock-on, I don't see why there isn't the additional option to just be able to hold down the L button to keep track of monsters that keep moving around, which would also probably help line yourself up to the monster, circle around to a good spot, and then release L to manually focus on smashing whatever part you're focusing on.

I mean, I can get used to the system as it is, but a button-hold constant lock-on would be a nice additional option, at least. Makes the camera controls more flexible, I think.

Ristlager

I answered your question earlier. But I'll write it again. In the ipad version of mhfu you have the lock on you want. It is glorious. It is very easy to attack different parts of the monster and the issues they talk about is non existent (I have done every quest and spent over 400 hours Inn that game..) Seek it out. The control is amazing, graphics the same and content is not far away from mh4u.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So I got a New 3DS recently and was thinking about buying Monster Hunter 4 which would be my first Monster Hunter ever. But I'm still unsure if this game is actually for me, hope you don't mind some questions (though I'm sure those have been asked here before, sorry for that)

1. Is this game a good starting point for a new player?
2. Can I enjoy this game alone or is Monster Hunter meant to played with friends? Cause I don't have friends who own a 3ds or are interested in the game.
3. How "grindy" is it? That was always a big turn off for me, since a friend of mine once described Monster Hunter as "Kill a Monster, then do it again for 8 hours to get the material you actually want". And he liked MH at the time.
4. Is there any comparable game in terms of the combat? I just can't tell if I'm going to like it or not so a "It's kinda like X but with" would maybe help.

Thanks again.

Seltas can get his head stuck into a wall. Neat. Reminds me of Blos.

So I got a New 3DS recently and was thinking about buying Monster Hunter 4 which would be my first Monster Hunter ever. But I'm still unsure if this game is actually for me, hope you don't mind some questions (though I'm sure those have been asked here before, sorry for that)

2. Can I enjoy this game alone or is Monster Hunter meant to played with friends? Cause I don't have friends who own a 3ds or are interested in the game.
3. How "grindy" is it? That was always a big turn off for me, since a friend of mine once described Monster Hunter as "Kill a Monster, then do it again for 8 hours to get the material you actually want". And he liked MH at the time.
4. Is there any comparable game in terms of the combat? I just can't tell if I'm going to like it or not so a "It's kinda like X but with" would maybe help.

Thanks again.

1. Probably the best starting point for the series. The "tutorial phase" doesn't last as long as MH3U.
2. You can enjoy it alone. It also has online.
3. It's as grindy as you want it to be. Lots of people grind for armor because they want it, not because they need it. People have done armor-less runs.
4. Heavier combat weight than Souls. Try the demo to see if you don't mind the combat weight.

Peru

Thanks again.

1. Yes, it's better at teaching beginners the basics, although going to youtube to look at some weapon tutorials for your weapon of choice is still recommended
2. I played most of the MHs up until now solo only, 100s of hours. Great fun, sense of achievement as you kill the beasts. Having said that you can go online in MH4U and play with strangers and there's lots of online goodies so I'd suggest checking it out. But the single player campaign should satisfy you for a long time too.
3. Depends if you want to upgrade several weapons, armor often, etc. Unless we're talking end-game, high level, the armor and weapons are not that hard to get, you'll accumulate a lot of items just through progressing with the quests. When you want some armor from a particular monster you might have to go out and fight it a few times to get the items needed to craft it. Later in the game you'll see weapons and armors that demand rarer items, but if you're that far into the game you're already a fan.
5. It's its own thing, its own genre, really, though some people compare the deliberate combat to Dark Souls (even if the differences are as plentiful) - ie you have to think about your moves, you can't stand in front of the monster and slash and think you'll survive, you must read its attacks, find safe spots, retreat, and so on. Dodge, get in and hit, get away. Like boxing.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews

Thanks again.
1-MH is a bit obtuse but MH4U is the best game in the series for beginners
2-Actually both! There's a meaty solo campain and on top of that there's a lot of content for multiplayer. If you can't play it with IRL friends, there's always neogaf or randoms to play online with.
3-It ends up being pretty grindy at some point. BUT if you like thebase gameplay loop it won't be that bad. BUT lucking out on getting that part with a 5% or less drop rate can get grating. BUT if you find buds to help you out online it's not so bad.
4-I'd say the combat feels a bit like Dark Souls in the sense that it's a slower paced action game where you can't throw moves without thinking about the opening your give to the opposition. And you're fighting huge bosses all the time instead of regular mobs.

Cerity

That would suck bad.

Yeah 4U is more for people new to the games. There is more of a sense of progression (even it's done terribly). Only thing you can really do is shoot through the key quests.

The Wycoon is the only real answer for farming, there's a bigger spread of items you can farm/multiply but she is that much slower to start up.

Thanks again.
1. It's the best point to jump in yet.
2. It's perfectly serviceable and fun solo. You can still go online and play with strangers, friends afterwards. With a little organising, you should be able to find plenty of GAF members to play with too. I suggest playing it solo first though, as the singleplayer mode will teach you how to play. There are a few things that you don't really notice in single-player, like moves that flinch or launch other players, but you don't really need to think about that until you have all the other stuff down.
3. You can make it as grindy as you want, I guess. Ultimately the meat of the game is to play the same amount of "bosses" (Like 90 of them) over and over again in all their variations. You can look at it as grinding, but I personally think of it in the same sense as a sports game where you can replay events as often as you'd like. If you really want to home in on specific loot, you can grind, but there are other ways to go about it. When I need to something specific, I go online and help out people who want to do the same hunt. Hunting together will really speed up the process and it's how the game becomes the most fun. I never really got stuck in the item trees, because if one type drop wasn't coming, I always had a wealth of alternative options for my weapon type. That said, the end-game stuff does require quite a few rare materials, but you'll have put more than a hundred hours into the game by then, so you can evaluate if it's worth the time and effort then. I put 300 hours into 3 Ultimate and I never felt like I was exhausting myself with farming loot.
4. Combat is slow and methodical. The closest contemporary example is the Souls series. If you want to take a swing, you better mean it, because you're committed to it. Mistakes will get punished. The learning curve can be quite steep early on, but once you get a feel of your weapon type, you should be able to handle the basics of any monster with that particular weapon type. If you ever get a bit burnt out, you can switch weapon type. They all feel very different and they can drastically increase your playtime.

People have answered the question sufficiently by now. If wish, there's a demo you can check out. It doesn't ease you into the game like the full thing does, but you will get a good idea what it's like.

Pila

Well, I understand what you guys are pointing out, and it does make sense, but considering the game already gives you the option to switch between simple 'rotate towards where you're facing' and the brief lock-on, I don't see why there isn't the additional option to just be able to hold down the L button to keep track of monsters that keep moving around, which would also probably help line yourself up to the monster, circle around to a good spot, and then release L to manually focus on smashing whatever part you're focusing on.

I mean, I can get used to the system as it is, but a button-hold constant lock-on would be a nice additional option, at least. Makes the camera controls more flexible, I think.

I'm sure they could figure out something new if they wanted to, the other fella says it's good on the iPad frontier game but I never tried it in person.

Anyway, we're trying to say that it's fine how it is. You have to press L to re-center the camera, when you'll get used to it you won't look for a lock-on believe me, you'll be focused on hitting the right spot.

Enjoy the game!

Hugstable

Banned
How do I go about getting a King Frill? Was thinking of trying to make the Barbarian Switch Axe with it. I usually use charge blade but I can't seem to forge anything besides the Elite Blade which is just the starter CB. When do I get more forge options for Charge Blade? Is there not very many or something and should I just go Switch Axe?

Qurupeke

Poor Gr. Jaggi. It used to be an obstacle in Tri and now you only need one or two minutes with the worst possible weapon. At least in training.

Spades

Post just arrived!

ge8b6CA.jpg

Was going to give this a miss until I played the demo on my N3DS!

Gala

Hi GAF, I have a question about whats the next logical upgrade for my gear. I'm currently running the full Alloy Armor with Dual Battleaxe. What should I get next?

Hi GAF, I have a question about whats the next logical upgrade for my gear. I'm currently running the full Alloy Armor with Dual Battleaxe. What should I get next?

The general answer is "something with +attack". Velocidrone or Kut-ku armor is easily accessible +atk armor, with the Kut-ku legs having the added benefit of looking dope.

Oh man I'm still really early in the game (my next quest is to gather Kelbi horns) but I was online with a team taking on Gore Mangala.
All was going well until we disconnected, leaving me just one-on-one with him!
I managed to beat him by being extremely evasive (thanks new climbing mechanic) and pretty much only counter attacking.
It was great, best fight so far.

I seem to have had a couple of disconnects each day, pretty worrying...

Leezard

Oh man I'm still really early in the game (my next quest is to gather Kelbi horns) but I was online with a team taking on Gore Mangala.
All was going well until we disconnected, leaving me just one-on-one with him!
I managed to beat him by being extremely evasive (thanks new climbing mechanic) and pretty much only counter attacking.
It was great, best fight so far.

I seem to have had a couple of disconnects each day, pretty worrying...
You beat gore magala before doing the quests right after the tutorial? Not bad.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Sorry about this being stupidly late, but...

It would make aiming for tails super annoying and you're gonna want to cut a lot of tails.

Kinsei

Banned
How do I go about getting a King Frill? Was thinking of trying to make the Barbarian Switch Axe with it. I usually use charge blade but I can't seem to forge anything besides the Elite Blade which is just the starter CB. When do I get more forge options for Charge Blade? Is there not very many or something and should I just go Switch Axe?

You need to break his frill to get a king frill. Just keep attacking his head until you see it break.

There are not many charge blades (at least in low rank). In low rank there is only the elite blade (+ upgrades), Guardsqual (+ upgrade), Dear Lutemis (+ upgrade), Axellion, and Elendskraft (+ upgrade).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom