• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pics_nao

Got to HR3 with the guild last night and fought Brachydios with someone else. Never did fight it in 3 but it wasn't so bad. I already learned how bad the explosive element was from Emerald Cong. At about 37 hours in game now.

ys45

Played a good 4h yesterday did some single player quests and some online with my friend .
We did the first 2 gathering/free quests to get some basic supplies like potions and whetstone and we ended up killing a Great Jaggi that was passing by :p
I'm starting to get the hang of the Charge Blade.

I was wondering if I should change my armor to the Great Jaggi one or should I wait ?
I know it was decent in Tri but not sure in this one if it's worth it .

MegaMelon

Farming seregios high rank, very annoying. The insta tail/feet flip thing that OHKO's me every time is ridiculous. Still, I just need o make the head and rms and then I can go murder azure rathy.

It's funny because before I started to farm him I was getting plates from everything that has a plate. I've got not-rathalos plates for days. I even went as far to think that they drop more.

How foolish I was.

The Rathalos ruby was what ended my mh3u run after 130+ Hours... I fought it around 20 Times alone and when it finally dropped the thing, I crafted its set, and then I totally lost interest. Guess this time the multiplayer will maintain it.

Ristlager

A tip for farming, what is hard to get in low rank, is easy to get in high rank, and what's hard to get in high rank is easy to get in g rank. So it is often better to just power trough to high rank before you do too much farming. Just try to get help from better players in the gh.

Chorazin

Picked this up along with a N3DS, having the C-stick on the device at all times is making such a huge difference for me from using the CCP with my old XL. I'm not nearly as far as any of you guys (just killed the Great Jaggi for the first time) but I'm definitely loving it!

Is there something I need to do to activate the Jaggi light bowgun in The Man's shop? I can't imagine what piece I'm missing since I've gotten G. Jaggi head, claw, hide and King's frill.

I-is there even a jaggi gun still?

tuffy

Is there something I need to do to activate the Jaggi light bowgun in The Man's shop? I can't imagine what piece I'm missing since I've gotten G. Jaggi head, claw, hide and King's frill.

I-is there even a jaggi gun still?
It's an upgrade to the Cross Bowgun. You'll also need Jaggi Scales and Bird Wyvern Fangs from the little Jaggis.

67 hours here. Got the game a week early, but still... Time to slow down.

Yeah, I was looking for the thread about when the monhun game clicked for you, IT CLICKED. I AM COMPLETELY ADDICTED.

SWITCH-AXE FOR LIFE.

Sorry for the caps, yeah, this game is pretty amazing.

Ryuuga

Banned
Loving the game as expected, but having 3U on Wii U makes me miss console controls. The OGXL digs into my damn palm at the corner leaving a mark after a few hours. I guess there is a reason why the last game cartridge I took out of my 3DS was 3U.

What's the Bow like for new/inexperienced players?

Its a tough climb for newbies id imagine

The starting bows will seem VERY weak (especially if you dont master aiming and critical distance) and they are very resource intensive to upgrade.

On top of that MH4U is a bit more resource restrictive leaving less money available to buy coatings. This will likely encourage you to combine and make your own but thats another layer of things to learn

Luckily you get lots of free coating from quests (mostly poison) so use them. I recommend using another simple weapon to start gathering all the material you need. Once you upgrade the bows a few times then you can make the switch

If you are gonna stick to the bow form the beginning make sure to always use the provided coating and always strike weak points from critical distance. Its an excellent weapon but it requires knowledge and mastery for sure

Kattbuss

So, I think I've added all Europeans from the list.
My friend code is 3995-7585-8741
If you add me and it doesn't register then PM me your FC :)

MrPanic

Just finished the final egg-straction. Gotta say that that was the most nerve-wrecking thing I've done in this game so far.

tuffy

The Mega Dash Juices from the free DLC are a godsend for those egg quests. I just find an egg, chug one and "sprint" all the way back to camp.

ys45

My FC is : 2595-3159-4846 I'm still low rank, actually I only did 2 quest :p
But I'm not inexperienced in the MonHun series (about 300h in Tri).

I'm gonna play tonight feel free to add me !

ilium

What's the Bow like for new/inexperienced players?

new player here, started with bow.

from my personal experience it feels underwhelming in the beginning and is not cheap to maintain if you are too lazy to farm everything you need for coatings. the first couple hours are kind of a drag because of that.

however, it gets a lot better as soon as you can make the gore magala bow which has power shot + spread arrows. that thing is crazy powerful.
you have to learn to stay in critical distance to maximise your damage output and make good use of your coatings. sleep coating + large barrel bombs for example shorten your kill times by a fair amount. bow is a charge weapon (hold down x) and you usually want to use the 3rd charge (2 charge ticks) because it gives you 150% damage. critical distance and power coatings add another 50% each!

i love my bow (and since it is mostly considered to be a support weapon, others do to!) and don't see myself using any other weapon anytime soon.

i recommend gaijin hunter's tutorial to get an idea how to use the bow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK2yl5o49cg

Owensboro

Holy, Freaking, Crap at Najarala. What a cool looking, and completely confusing fight for a slow head-hunting weapon (Hunting Horn). I must have spent the first 10 minutes trying to figure out how to get head shots on him with little to no luck. It was basically just me running around like an idiot hoping he would snap at me. Two carts and 15 Mega Potions later and I finally killed him, but didn't manage to break his back OR his tail. Anyone got any advice on that? My HH just kept bouncing off his actual tail, so god knows how that's going to work. Also, I'm just kind of assuming it's impossible to break his tail or back with a blunt weapon, so it's probably better to ask: Do you have to use a cutting weapon on tails to "break" them? In my brain, you need a sword or something to "cut" a tail. I'd really love to be wrong on this. How the heck do you fight that thing and hit a high damage zone? Also, how do you mount it? I kept trying to jump from ledges and missing him! I assume you have to hit his head specifically?

The Zamtrios fight is awesome, just because I love that monster design. It's just so dumb in all the right ways. I can finally give a game the award "Best Ice Shark since Mutant League Hockey", and that makes me very, very happy. Took him down with little to no trouble. Also, all that playing the demo paid off and I just straight up destroyed the Gore Magala. He carted me once due to a bad roll from me + a one shot explosion, but hey, can't win em all. I still haven't upgraded from my Bone Armor + Heavy Bagpipe+, which is starting to hurt in the health/armor department, but at least I'm killing monsters.

Kinsei

Banned
Holy, Freaking, Crap at Najarala. What a cool looking, and completely confusing fight for a slow head-hunting weapon (Hunting Horn). I must have spent the first 10 minutes trying to figure out how to get head shots on him with little to no luck. It was basically just me running around like an idiot hoping he would snap at me. Two carts and 15 Mega Potions later and I finally killed him, but didn't manage to break his back OR his tail. Anyone got any advice on that? My HH just kept bouncing off his actual tail, so god knows how that's going to work. Also, I'm just kind of assuming it's impossible to break his tail or back with a blunt weapon, so it's probably better to ask: Do you have to use a cutting weapon on tails to "break" them? In my brain, you need a sword or something to "cut" a tail. I'd really love to be wrong on this. How the heck do you fight that thing and hit a high damage zone? Also, how do you mount it? I kept trying to jump from ledges and missing him! I assume you have to hit his head specifically?

The Zamtrios fight is awesome, just because I love that monster design. It's just so dumb in all the right ways. I can finally give a game the award "Best Ice Shark since Mutant League Hockey", and that makes me very, very happy. Took him down with little to no trouble. Also, all that playing the demo paid off and I just straight up destroyed the Gore Magala. He carted me once due to a bad roll from me + a one shot explosion, but hey, can't win em all. I still haven't upgraded from my Bone Armor + Heavy Bagpipe+, which is starting to hurt in the health/armor department, but at least I'm killing monsters.

You don't cut the Najarala's tail, you break it. Because of that you can break it with the hunting horn. To break somethings back just mount it twice.

You shouls really upgrade your HH soon. 5* is where the game starts to actually challenge you.

MrPanic

Does the Rathalos respawn? If not I'm just going to kill him to make things easier.

I was planning on killing it, but than a frenzied Rathian showed up and they decided to cooperatively make my life a hell, so I just ran decided to run with the 3 eggs. Went pretty well as I managed to not let any egg break.

Just make sure you eat accordingly (fish+dairy steamed) and eat a ration or steak before picking a egg up so you'll have enough stamina to run out of a area before those two arrive. Always jump to the felyne area first after picking up the egg as it's safe there and paintball both the monsters after returning the first egg helps greatly. They always play catch up so as long as you never stop moving it really ain't hard at all, just extremely nerve-wrecking.

Sword and shield and hammer are the best starting weapons IMO.

I would argue Great Sword as well

If you learn the basics of it anyways. One of the EASIEST weapons to get to high power and upgrade/maintain.

Ravager Blade took so little effort to get (as always in every MH game ever lol) and my god does it destroy everything

My work blocks kiranico because it falls under category "WEAPONS"... LOL, was gonna slack off and read about mh, and now i can't even do that.

It also blocks a lot of the gaming sites, kotaku, ign, etc...

Thankfully gaf is okay.

Kinsei

Banned
My work blocks kiranico because it falls under category "WEAPONS"... LOL, was gonna slack off and read about mh, and now i can't even do that.

It also blocks a lot of the gaming sites, kotaku, ign, etc...

Thankfully gaf is okay.

Same here. It's a really slow day so I'm just sititng here wishing I was home playing MH.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It's an upgrade to the Cross Bowgun. You'll also need Jaggi Scales and Bird Wyvern Fangs from the little Jaggis.

Is the Jaggi Light Bowgun the "Grenade" upgrade in The Man's shop?

Or does this upgrade only appear when you have all the ingredients?

Mupod

Still offline-only so far, except for the one time I ventured online just to test it out. It ran like shit honestly, was sub-30 fps the whole quest (nerscylla) with 4 players. I don't know if it's due to my regular 3DS or my bad wifi.

I've mostly stuck to GS so far, I'm not 100% new to the weapon but it was always a 'toy' before. As in I'd only use it once I got the best GS and armor skills in the game, then I'd go around killing everything with crit draw. So it's been interesting to use it from the start - I was able to get by with the Jaggi GS and Velociprey armor until high rank. At that point I was getting my shit wrecked by even the tiniest of hits, so last night I quickly farmed up high rank Velociprey armor. It was surprisingly much easier than making the low rank set thanks to that dual velocidrome quest you get.

Still haven't seen much in the way of good GS armor. I'm used to having crit draw, sheathing, and focus - earplugs help too. Right now all I got is attack up large and some minor things like autotracker. I was surprised by how fast they give you an awesome GS in high rank though, the Hermitaur one is very easy to make, blue sharpness and almost a 200 raw upgrade over what I was using. Getting a black pearl took a few kills but I needed the money from selling his parts anyways - I made a hammer to farm it because hammering crabs is fun, but that also cost me 20k.

I've also dabbled in HBG but I have no idea which guns to look into moving forward - hard to tell just from glancing at Kiranico which ones are good. I also REALLY need an evade distance charm so I can get more freedom in armor sets.

I feel like I blasted through low rank without really trying, so I'm going to slow down in high rank. I don't mind taking my time and farming up weapons and armor sets. I want to enjoy myself because at best it'll be years before we get a new game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom