• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuffy

Is the Jaggi Light Bowgun the "Grenade" upgrade in The Man's shop?

Or does this upgrade only appear when you have all the ingredients?
The Grenade Launcher is an upgrade to the Cross Bowgun+, so you might've gone past it already. Try going to the weapon shop and buying the starter Cross Bowgun and have The Man upgrade it. The Jaggid Fire should be one of the upgrade paths.

One thing that annoys me about the IG (my new favorite weapon): terrible sharpness. You don't get blue sharpness for quite a while, and then it only lasts for 4 hits. Maybe it's time to make a sharpness armor.

I'm about to make the Seregios IG, but I bet that will run from white to yellow in no time flat.

Still offline-only so far, except for the one time I ventured online just to test it out. It ran like shit honestly, was sub-30 fps the whole quest (nerscylla) with 4 players. I don't know if it's due to my regular 3DS or my bad wifi.

That's really weird, I never had a single issue with the online play, which territory are you playing from? Sure very rarely other players' charcters bounce around a little, but it didn't really affect the gameplay.

Volodja

Just received my copy and created my smug pompadour sporting hunter.

Man I'll have to rearrange the bottom screen completely.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Killed my first Tetsukabura! That was great fun! Is it worth getting the armor set? (jaggi armor now)

How do I get Paddock Oil btw?

Mupod

I would argue Great Sword as well

If you learn the basics of it anyways. One of the EASIEST weapons to get to high power and upgrade/maintain.

Ravager Blade took so little effort to get (as always in every MH game ever lol) and my god does it destroy everything

GS is the best worst newbie weapon. I swear it's the main reason for all the 'clunky' complaints over the years - new players are all HELL YEAH BIG SWORD. But then they realize it plays like a big sword would.

If you do learn GS you'll definitely have a solid grasp on important mechanics like draw attacks, prediction and sheathing. And nothing drives home the feeling of MH like landing a level 3 charge on something's face. This game in particular gives you so many opportunities for gigantic openings, mount knockdowns give you just enough time to do L3 charge -> slap -> super charge -> big ass swing. I pity the monsters when I finally get Focus on my armor.

One thing that annoys me about the IG (my new favorite weapon): terrible sharpness. You don't get blue sharpness for quite a while, and then it only lasts for 4 hits. Maybe it's time to make a sharpness armor.

I'm about to make the Seregios IG, but I bet that will run from white to yellow in no time flat.

WAIT... there's blue sharpness level?! I've been using switch-axe and i thought green was the top sharpness level... lol

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
WAIT... there's blue sharpness level?! I've been using switch-axe and i thought green was the top sharpness level... lol

It goes even higher past blue, it goes to white and then purple.

Typically though you don't see blue and white sharpness until you're using high rank weapons (with a few exceptions) and purple for g rank stuff.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The Grenade Launcher is an upgrade to the Cross Bowgun+, so you might've gone past it already. Try going to the weapon shop and buying the starter Cross Bowgun and have The Man upgrade it. The Jaggid Fire should be one of the upgrade paths.

Ahh! That must be it. Didn't realize you could lock out other options by upgrading. Thanks!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How do you go about targeting different parts of monsters, especially in melee? Do you wait until the monster is knocked down, then just try to swing at that particular part? Do you need to mount them?

Can you get particular pieces by capturing them?

Also, are there other ways to mount monsters other than running off a ledge and doing an unsheath-attack?

Kane1345

How do you go about targeting different parts of monsters, especially in melee? Do you wait until the monster is knocked down, then just try to swing at that particular part? Do you need to mount them?

Also, are there other ways to mount monsters other than running off a ledge and doing an unsheath-attack?

1. Learn the patterns and realise when they're most vulnerable for that particular part you wish to target. Also like you said, when they're knocked down is good.

2. Capturing them in the past had specific loot tables. I'm not sure if that's still the same in MH4U

3. Running and jumping off is the only way I know of unless you use lance or Insect glaive

Owensboro

You don't cut the Najarala's tail, you break it. Because of that you can break it with the hunting horn. To break somethings back just mount it twice.

You shouls really upgrade your HH soon. 5* is where the game starts to actually challenge you.

Good to know about breaking the tail. That jerk's going to be the next monster I fight 2 or 3 times to learn his patterns.

And I'm working on upgrading the horn! Somehow, I completely missed fighting a Basarios in 3*. Apparently if you don't do the Kecha Wacha hunt you don't unlock the Basarios fight. I kept waiting and waiting for one to appear somewhere so I could start getting it's shell for an upgrade.

Lombax

Banned
Sorry if this has been asked already but as this is my first Monster Hunter game, are there any good tutorials out there I can use as a reference? There is a lot going on in this game!

Is the Jaggi Light Bowgun the "Grenade" upgrade in The Man's shop?

Or does this upgrade only appear when you have all the ingredients?

Hey, I just went through this same thing last night!
Go to the weapons shop and buy a Cross Bowgun.
The Man can upgrade it into Jaggi Fire (which is "meh") and then the Bandit Fire (which has rapid fire Pierce, which is awesome). I just got the Bandit Fire - the hardest ingredient was the King's Frill, which you get by breaking the G. Jaggi's face.

ilium

Happens when you hit HR3. GAF membership reward. G Rank for GAF gold status

Congrats ;)

oh. i always assumed i had to prove my worth against another junior in a no-rules cage fight.

"two juniors enter one member leaves"
thunderdome5.jpg

Mupod

1. Depends on the part I guess. For Rathalos talons I don't just go for them since you bounce off and since they are in front of the monster that would get you killed. I actually need a bunch of them right now so I'm thinking I'll bomb them off, or bring a hammer (since super pound won't bounce).

For tails and such you COULD hang out behind the monster but it's faster to incapacitate it somehow first. KO, mounting or shock traps all work great. A couple solid greatsword charge combos will take any tail off.

You don't need to knockdown though. After fighting for a while you just get used to the monster's movements. Like for example I know I can get a free shot on a monster's tail if it's busy spitting fireballs at my cats.

2. Capture rewards tend to give you a better chance at certain rare parts. You give up your body carves but it can be worth it. The only way to know for sure is to look up drop tables, but generally if you need gems or tails or whatever, capturing will give you a better chance.

3. Insect glaive can jump, and you can actually jump off of any climbable wall. Ledges are by far the most reliable though.

If you're in multiplayer, another player can send you flying and lead into a jump attack.

That's really weird, I never had a single issue with the online play, which territory are you playing from? Sure very rarely other players' charcters bounce around a little, but it didn't really affect the gameplay.

Toronto, but I was having some issues with my wifi. I don't know if a bad connection would straight up ruin the framerate but it was really bad. I'll need to try it locally or find some other option. Maybe set up another access point.

Shengar

Unlock the wycoon's bug farm and additional trading routes, and use it to multiply godbugs and sell them. It's a nice steady cashflow.
That sounds good, I might try it. Though this mean that I won't have steady flow of material for anything else.
Charge blade keeping my bank high in this, just broke 100k lol.
Well, I'm currently focused on weapon too, Lance at that. I'm still using and upgrading the original Iron Lance, with some additional lances here and there but not much. My currently is at 40k Z, but it makes me uncomfortable after seeing 100k in my account.

I shouldn't have trying that Bnahabra S set in the first place D:
Just grinding random monsters, starting with Kecha but anything from rank 1 to rank 2 is dooable.

Come join, have fun and hunt with fellow gaffers.

I want to join, but man, I have an assignment D:

BooJoh

Killed my first Tetsukabura! That was great fun! Is it worth getting the armor set? (jaggi armor now)

How do I get Paddock Oil btw?

Testsucabra Armor isn't bad, I just finished the set myself. It'll give you Health+20 and Def Up(S) (and Gathering -1)

Pop in one Vitality Jewel and you'll have Health+50, and if you can get the needed Bumblepumpkins you can negate the Gathering -1 with another Jewel.

Paddock Oil is from the Tetsucabra. Do some quests for it and you should end up with enough.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Gosh this game is very absorbing. I have now slain two great jaggis and have spent a fun lunch hour fishing. Time seems to fly.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
1. Learn the patterns and realise when they're most vulnerable for that particular part you wish to target. Also like you said, when they're knocked down is good.

2. Capturing them in the past had specific loot tables. I'm not sure if that's still the same in MH4U

3. Running and jumping off is the only way I know of unless you use lance or Insect glaive

Thanks!

Is there a reliable way to get monsters to fall, other than just beating on them? An item, maybe?

Also, how do you mount with a lance or insect glaive (I haven't tried either of those weapons)

Kinsei

Banned
Thanks!

Is there a reliable way to get monsters to fall, other than just beating on them? An item, maybe?

Also, how do you mount with a lance or incect glaive (I haven't tried either of those weapons)

If you use a flash bomb on a monster while it is in midair it will fall to the ground.

MrPanic

Also, how do you mount with a lance or insect glaive (I haven't tried either of those weapons)

Those two weapons have jumps so you don't need terrain to jump off from. With the insect glaive it's R+b to jump. With the lance, during a charge press forward+b to jump.

If you use a flash bomb on a monster while it is in midair it will fall to the ground.

I believe there is also a skill you can get via eating before a quest. Can't remember what it's called. It's description is something like "Increases the chance of stunning large monsters."

I cannot for the life of me get a Gore plate. I need one to complete my armor set and that stingy son of a bitch one drop one for me. Downed him about ten times and knocked his tail off all of those times. Plus I capped at least five times.

sugarless

Ahh! That must be it. Didn't realize you could lock out other options by upgrading. Thanks!

The best way to think of the upgrade paths is as trees, so once you choose a weapon that's down one branch, you have by definition locked out any 'sideways' upgrades' and are now doing down that path.

MH Wikia has the trees listed out nicely, so if you look you'll see that once you had the Cross Bowgun, your choices for upgrades were the CB+ and Jaggid Fire, and by going CB+ then Grenade Launcher you had chosen a separate path from the Jaggid Fire.

I do wish the trees were accessible in the game. It feels like a legacy aspect to just have a list of available upgrades. Putting up the trees like in Far Cry-style upgrade menus would really help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom