• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto-Guard is good for attacks that you do not see coming or are too slow to react to due to the situation. Actually relying on it for things you can see coming instead of dodging/manual blocking is probably a bad idea though.

The only downside for me is when it makes me block multiple hits until my stamina is drained ending with a last hit to actually deal damage, so I'm getting up from the ground with low stamina. In that case it would be better to take the first hit so I'll at least have full stamina after getting up.

When an attack makes your HP below a certain threshold (40% in this case), there is a chance that you will granted a bonus attack and defense for a period of time.

I see. That sounds like it could be useful.

ultron87

Okay, somewhat loose question here. Sometimes when my guy gets hit there is a twinkle sound effect and there is a visual effect of some soft colored lights around him. Anyone know what that is? Hopefully that at least sounds familiar.

Kinsei

Banned
Okay, somewhat loose question here. Sometimes when my guy gets hit there is a twinkle sound effect and there is a visual effect of some soft colored lights around him. Anyone know what that is? Hopefully that at least sounds familiar.

You got felyne defender while eating and that's the random defense boost activating.

Shengar

It's my favorite food effect, the Felyne Defender where you'll be granted a chance of reduced damage from an attack.

Insect Glaive turns out to be my thing after trying Charge Blade first. It clearly works for me, leaping around, dodging, targeting a spot for the insect to gather powerups, pole vaulting on top of large monsters frequently. Been playing 75% with it.

Now that I've gotten pretty solid with it as my speed weapon, working in some time with the Great Sword, HBG, and Gunlance. I may actually focus on Gunlance, which was my slow favorite before Great Sword. To wreck faces with charged GS or Wyvern Fire has long been the question.

R0ckman

I love and hate the bomber cats, they can be annoying when I'm using the GS, but sometimes when I'm farming Gore Magala, when he enters in demon mode, the cat can just go into this spamming mode (I guess to match magala lol) where they charge at him with giant barrel bombs over and over.

MrPanic

That feeling when you're farming Gore for its tail and you realize while carving his dead body that you forgot to carve the tail a few areas back...

Time to take a little break. :/

KdylanR92

Man I did the system transfer to the new 3ds and it was the worst mistake....

I can't play monster with that little nub, I need the c-stick. Back to the circle pad pro on old 3ds

What about horns? And how can I tell if he's weak? I see no signs, I just try and kill him as quick as I can and usually end up killing him IN demon mode.
you mean feelers? They're like 10% on cap I think, 100% on actually breaking. And you can tell he's weak when he starts limping like a little man has been beating the shit out of him for ten minutes.

tuffy

Really? Because last night our host said he had to go mid hunt and once the hunt ended we were all kicked out into our own gathering halls.
Perhaps he gave everyone the boot for some reason?

In all the random and not-so-random disconnects I've seen - even mid-hunt - the host has always just shifted to the next person in line.

Got the talisman and decorations to activate Attack Up M and the autotracker skill for my Velociprey armor. Also made a super cool looking Great Sword. I feel pretty good right now!

Met a bunch of cool people during my online MP session. Probably some of nicest guy I met in Online MP game ever. Now it's even harder to put down this game because I just dont wanna stop lol

ilium

so how exactly does ranking up in multiplayer work? does each person has to accept the keys or do keys count for all, and only urgents have to be done 4 times or does everyone need to accept every key in order to progress?

because i can't remember ever accepting a key from the counter, but i had the urgent.

i'm confused

Damn I love this game.

I'll sure be back later, we can't let them rest for too long guys!

Happy hunting.

pleasure as always armor-bro.

tuffy

so how exactly does ranking up in multiplayer work? does each person has to accept the keys or do keys count for all, and only urgents have to be done 4 times or does everyone need to accept every key in order to progress?

because i can't remember ever accepting a key from the counter, but i had the urgent.
Everyone on a completed quest gets credit for it, but only the person who posts the urgent quest ranks up. So the keys only have to be done once by the whole team, but the urgent will need to be done once per hunter.

Coppanuva

Is it better to go straight damage early or elements? I'm deciding between a SnS with 154 raw, vs one with 140 raw and 180 poison.

I also want to try using Hammer (blunt damage can be useful I'm sure), and SwitchAxe since I found that fun if that changes anything.

ilium

Everyone on a completed quest gets credit for it, but only the person who posts the urgent quest ranks up. So the keys only have to be done once by the whole team, but the urgent will need to be done once per hunter.

ok, i thought so but wasn't sure, thanks.

H1PSTER

Is it better to go straight damage early or elements? I'm deciding between a SnS with 154 raw, vs one with 140 raw and 180 poison.

I also want to try using Hammer (blunt damage can be useful I'm sure), and SwitchAxe since I found that fun if that changes anything.

As far as I know (And I'm a newbie) you should go Sharpness > Raw > Elemental.

But if you have a raw damage weapon that has a little worse sharpness than the best sharpness you have I personally would go for the raw weapon.

Edit: I accidentally derped that whole sentence.

Valus

Just finished the Seltas Queen set. Hate that monster with a passion, but the set looks awwweeeesoooome so it was worth the pain and suffering. I'm using IG and GS. The gear progression for IG is kinda weird, I don't think I like it. Is there an effective way to shoot heads that are too high to hit from the ground normally? It gets frustrating.

Also, unfortunately my damn thumb stick started to get dislodged yesterday, so I may have to make the jump to the N3DS. Sigh. Are there any good deals out there still? The Gamestop one expired apparently.

Kinsei

Banned
As far as I know (And I'm a newbie) you should go Sharpness > Raw > Elemental.

But if you have a raw damage weapon that has a little worse sharpness than the best sharpness you have I personally would go for the raw weapon.

Depends on the weapon. Elemental and status are more valuable than raw on a SnS.

Just finished the Seltas Queen set. Hate that monster with a passion, but the set looks awwweeeesoooome so it was worth the pain and suffering. I'm using IG and GS. The gear progression for IG is kinda weird, I don't think I like it. Is there an effective way to shoot heads that are too high to hit from the ground normally? It gets frustrating.

Also, unfortunately my damn thumb stick started to get dislodged yesterday, so I may have to make the jump to the N3DS. Sigh. Are there any good deals out there still? The Gamestop one expired apparently.

What didn;t you like about her? She's my second favorite new monster so far.

Coppanuva

Depends on the weapon. Elemental and status are more valuable than raw on a SnS.

Ok cool, that's what I wasn't sure about 100%, since SnS seems to grow damage a lot slower than other weapons. Guess I'll grab the poison upgrade then, maybe switch over to switchaxe slowly too.

I'm back with more beginner questions!

1. How fast do monsters recover health? Immediately? If I leave the area? If they leave the area? If I cart? If I sleep? Basically, how much breathing room do I have if I need to recover myself?
  2. What's the best way to handle a monster who likes fighting near the doors betwen zones? I keep accidentally moving between zones.
  3. If I'm gathering and fill up my Items/Field Pouch, is there a way to put them in my box? Or is that all I can gather in one go?
  4. Little monsters will despawn quickly, but will big monster tails, shiny drops and bodies disappear? Should I pause in combat to pick up that shiny? or will it stay?

xSMDobVl.jpg

Also I beat Yian Kut-ku, which some googling tells me is the first non-tutorial difficulty monster. It was a fun fight! I like this game!

Valus

What didn;t you like about her? She's my second favorite new monster so far.

Her design was awesome, I just didn't like her disproportionate damage. Getting killed at 60% or so HP from her stupid sonic boom or losing half my hp to her head in ground charge attack was lame. When her other attacks only did like 15-20% of my HP it just didn't seem right. And I also don't like how she keeps on summoning Seltas and that you can't dung bomb them away.

I'm back with more beginner questions!

1. How fast do monsters recover health? Immediately? If I leave the area? If they leave the area? If I cart? If I sleep? Basically, how much breathing room do I have if I need to recover myself?
  2. What's the best way to handle a monster who likes fighting near the doors betwen zones? I keep accidentally moving between zones.
  3. If I'm gathering and fill up my Items/Field Pouch, is there a way to put them in my box? Or is that all I can gather in one go?
  4. Little monsters will despawn quickly, but will big monster tails, shiny drops and bodies disappear? Should I pause in combat to pick up that shiny? or will it stay?

Also I beat Yian Kut-ku, which some googling tells me is the first non-tutorial difficulty monster. It was a fun fight! I like this game!

1) Take your time. Don't feel like you need to hunt them down constantly, their recovery isn't that potent. In fact, if they run away to go sleep in a zone, let them. Your wake up attack does triple damage, or you can just drop a trap on their face and cap 'em.
2) Lure them away from the zoning points. Just run away and bait them out.
3) No you don't get additional space. You will learn to prioritize what is worth keeping. Hint: The higher the rarity, the better it is. Generally speaking.
4) Tails do not despawn, just don't forget to carve it before chasing a monster if it zones. Shinies however do despawn eventually, so I tend to grab those when the monster is focusing on someone/something else. Protip: If you crouch and gather, you pick up/carve items much more quickly.

Dreavus

Gah, I am torn. I will definitely be picking this up, but I'm kind of waiting on a friend who may be picking up a 3DS soon. Would I be able to successfully "go back" to the beginning if I started playing this weekend? (That is, not be completely overpowered if I want to join up with a new player later on?) If it's anything like Tri, all your stats are tied to your armor and weapons, right?

SnS is almost purely reliant on its elemental damage, going pure raw is useless with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom