• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuffy

I'm back with more beginner questions!
How fast do monsters recover health? Immediately? If I leave the area? If they leave the area? If I cart? If I sleep? Basically, how much breathing room do I have if I need to recover myself?
Monsters recover some small amount of health while they're sleeping or taking bites out of a hunter while pouncing on them, but not much. Hardly anything actually restores monster health so you can take your time if need be.
What's the best way to handle a monster who likes fighting near the doors betwen zones? I keep accidentally moving between zones.
Try the taunt gesture to lure them out, perhaps?
If I'm gathering and fill up my Items/Field Pouch, is there a way to put them in my box? Or is that all I can gather in one go?
You'll need to finish the quest to dump all that stuff in your box, I'm afraid.
Little monsters will despawn quickly, but will big monster tails, shiny drops and bodies disappear? Should I pause in combat to pick up that shiny? or will it stay?
Shiny drops and monster bodies vanish within a minute or two so you may need to risk it sometimes if there's still a monster in the area. But the tail sticks around while its monster is alive so there's no rush to carve that one right away.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm back with more beginner questions!

1. How fast do monsters recover health? Immediately? If I leave the area? If they leave the area? If I cart? If I sleep? Basically, how much breathing room do I have if I need to recover myself?
  2. What's the best way to handle a monster who likes fighting near the doors betwen zones? I keep accidentally moving between zones.
  3. If I'm gathering and fill up my Items/Field Pouch, is there a way to put them in my box? Or is that all I can gather in one go?
  4. Little monsters will despawn quickly, but will big monster tails, shiny drops and bodies disappear? Should I pause in combat to pick up that shiny? or will it stay?

xSMDobVl.jpg

Also I beat Yian Kut-ku, which some googling tells me is the first non-tutorial difficulty monster. It was a fun fight! I like this game!

1. They only recover health while they're sleeping. You might be thinking it's best to chase a weak monster to its sleeping area quickly, but the health they recover is very small and the attack that wakes them up will do triple the damage.

2. Head to the center of the area and ping your cats so they will too (start and then X). The monster will eventually come after you.

3. That's all you can gather. In Portable 3rd they had a way for you to send items back to your box, but for some reason that feature hasn;t been seen since.

4. Shinies disappear. If the large monster is part of the quest (like say the goal is to hunt a Lagombi and a Zamtrios) the body and tail will stay until the end of the quest. If the monster isn't part of the quest then its body and tail will disappear after a few minutes.

Qurupeke

Gah, I am torn. I will definitely be picking this up, but I'm kind of waiting on a friend who may be picking up a 3DS soon. Would I be able to successfully "go back" to the beginning if I started playing this weekend? (That is, not be completely overpowered if I want to join up with a new player later on?) If it's anything like Tri, all your stats are tied to your armor and weapons, right?

Yeah, essentially you can do that.

Kane1345

Gah, I am torn. I will definitely be picking this up, but I'm kind of waiting on a friend who may be picking up a 3DS soon. Would I be able to successfully "go back" to the beginning if I started playing this weekend? (That is, not be completely overpowered if I want to join up with a new player later on?) If it's anything like Tri, all your stats are tied to your armor and weapons, right?

Yes your stats are tied to weapons and armor. Just rock the starter gear when he starts till he gets up to your gear level then you can don your armour again :)

Assault

Finally got my copy and already sunk 3 hours into it. I gotta say, the first area has already cemented itself as one of my favourite MH stages of all time. The difference in terrain and elevation is just sooooo refreshing.

Anyway, just beat Kecha Wecha, time to move onwards!

What are you supposed to do when you're pinned by the monster? There's a red bar and I've tried hitting all sorts of buttons but I haven't really found anything that seems to end it early or speed it up.

Anyone up for a bit of farming? I need Zamtrios and Kut-Ku parts.

ID: 64-5319-5153-2902
Code: 1379

Kinsei

Banned
What are you supposed to do when you're pinned by the monster? There's a red bar and I've tried hitting all sorts of buttons but I haven't really found anything that seems to end it early or speed it up.

Rotate the stick and mash A (You also need to do this to catch the larger fish). You could also just throw a dungbomb, but I'm not sure if that counts toward the achievement.

Beartruck

Newbie question, How do you do the guild quests with other players? They're clearly designed for more than 1 person, but I can't find the "Find other players" option in the guild hall.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Wiggle the slide pad.

I'd hunt but I'm stuck at the office for another 4 hours ;_;

Maybe later I'll help out

Rotate the stick and mash A (You also need to do this to catch the larger fish).

Wait really? I thought for the big fish it was hold R and mash A? That's been working for me at least. I guess I'll see if rotating is better.

Kazerei

Banned

You can throw a dung bomb to get the monster off you. Otherwise just rotate the analog stick and mash buttons.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I wanted to say this but that other thread kind of reminded me.... this game looks pretty damn good on the new 3DS.

Raide

How much is it? Are GAME the only ones who sell it here?

Seems to be in the UK only GAME have it. According to the chap in my local game, they are £224.99. Some dude is on Amazon selling them for £300+

I think it makes more sense to just buy the console and the game separately but then it is the limited MH version. :D

Kane1345

Seems to be in the UK only GAME have it. According to the chap in my local game, they are £224.99. Some dude is on Amazon selling them for £300+

I think it makes more sense to just buy the console and the game separately but then it is the limited MH version. :D

Oh I have that version. I thought you meant the collectors edition of the physical game with all the goodies. Carry on :)

So got to Seregios in the Caravan Quests and killed enough to make its armor and some weapons.

He's really fun to fight, and the armor looks pretty cool. When you have a Blademaster weapon equipped made from it, you gain sharpness on your weapon when you roll w/ the weapon unsheathed.

cianuro

Neo Member
I'm trying to craft armour for my Palicoes but the smith asks me for Humble Scraps...

Where can I get those?

Leaving my Friend Code for Happy Hunting:

Coke
1349-7520-2346

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Goddamn, still getting my ass kicked by GM. I might need to jump online a bit and farm up a weapon from outside my current rank to come back and take him down in single player with. I just need a few Rathalos parts for a good longsword

bobohoro

Everything is determined by your equipment. So if you are helping out a newbie, just keep some lower ranked armour/weapons at the ready. I'd also say it's a pretty nice chance to try out different weapons when you're helping out your friend if you want, maybe building up your armoury on the side.

I'm focussing on upgrading my village right now. Got the Rath CB and went on to decimate everything in my path, elemental phials seem pretty awesome so far. Just a few 4* quests left. Is there another Gore Magala mission in LR, one that asks me to capture the thing perhaps? Would help in farming up the feelers.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Honestly not sure how online works but anyone wanna do some for a bit? I'm in the middle of 3 star village quests and did one random guild quest if that makes a difference. How do we do this.

Kane1345

I'm wondering if someone can answer a question for me?

I know in previous MH games that online was balanced for roughly 2.5 people. Is that still the case in this game? Also how big an influence is the boss monster size in determining the health of a monster?

I ask because I killed the Khezu yesterday in a 2 person party in roughly 13 mins. The same quest with 3 people today took 32 mins. Now granted it was 27cm longer but would that difference cause that much of a discrepancy in kill time?

Filth

Anyone know how long it'll take to get a n3ds. I can't order it online. Every store is sold out. And I can't preorder for the next batch. Wtf :( I wanna play mh with better frame rateeee :(

Welp I sure feel silly right now. I kept on killing the spider thinking it dropped monster bone L but nope, it's a different monster. Ah well, at least I got mats out of it.

Valus

I'm wondering if someone can answer a question for me?

I know in previous MH games that online was balanced for roughly 2.5 people. Is that still the case in this game? Also how big an influence is the boss monster size in determining the health of a monster?

I ask because I killed the Khezu yesterday in a 2 person party in roughly 13 mins. The same quest with 3 people today took 32 mins. Now granted it was 27cm longer but would that difference cause that much of a discrepancy in kill time?

Were they different players? From what I've heard the monsters still scale by roughly 2.5 times, regardless of whether it's 2 players or 4. If they were different players, maybe the two new ones were just really bad?

Kane1345

Were they different players? From what I've heard the monsters still scale by roughly 2.5 times, regardless of whether it's 2 players or 4. If they were different players, maybe the two new ones were just really bad?

No, I hunt with the same group all the time. We've been hunting together since MHFU. This hunt just took a really long time, which is why I started wondering about this question

thefil

I'm focussing on upgrading my village right now. Got the Rath CB and went on to decimate everything in my path, elemental phials seem pretty awesome so far. Just a few 4* quests left. Is there another Gore Magala mission in LR, one that asks me to capture the thing perhaps? Would help in farming up the feelers.

What are elemental phials?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just did a few runs with the insect glaive... a few questions:

Whenever I press R and release which shoots, that's just to mark a target, right?

When I send an insect, does it do damage, or just harvest powers?

Once an insect returns, I'm assuming my melee attacks are what are being powered up?

Is there any reason to recall an insect, or should I just let it come back to me on it's own? If I recall an insect early, do I get less powers from the monster?

Reknoc

Whenever I press R and release which shoots, that's just to mark a target, right?

Yes, you can also tell what buff that area will give. Good for getting the insect to higher places.

It does do, damage but it's a very small amount. You can charge it as well to do a little more but doesn't really seem worth it. I've had the killing blow be with the Kinsect lol

Once an insect returns, I'm assuming my melee attacks are what are being powered up?

Yep.

Is there any reason to recall an insect, or should I just let it come back to me on it's own? If I recall an insect early, do I get less powers from the monster?

Better to call it back, get the buff as soon as possible and get it out again for the double buff / triple buff.

Yes, it marks the target. You can also mark by hitting R+A during a combo.

The insect does damage. You can charge it by holding Y (or is it X... wherever Triangle would be on PS). Its damage depends on its stats, which you increase with nectar.

Red juice powers up your attacks and adds extra swings. I would recommend you ALWAYS grab red essence before attacking. Try and get red and white, as it extends the effect and makes you even stronger. If possible, get red, white, and orange for an even bigger boost and longer duration. You will also get a defense boost and earplugs.

Practice harvesting juice without marking the monsters. Shoot the bug out without marking and it will travel in a straight line from your chest. It's much quicker and makes it easier to get the triple boost.

Always recall the insect immediately after it harvests an essence; it's much faster. You can tell when the wings are colored in the UI. It also helps you aim, though when you have enough practice you can set your bug up to flank a monster by sending it to the side and then aiming at the monster. If you send the bug 3x quickly without recalling it, it will do a charged attack. Only play around with that after you've mastered harvesting all juices from monsters without marking, though... You gotta get the basics before getting fancy.

Watch gaijinhunter's IG tutorial video; it will blow your mind.

Also: use small monsters in the area to grab some essences. They can be key to getting a triple buff on some monsters with hard to reach parts.

R0ckman

If anyone is having trouble with the feelers on Gore, I found that one trap, and one mount with the hunter horn was able to able to allow me to break it. If he goes out of demon mode before it breaks, play with him a bit so he can go back in.

Welp I sure feel silly right now. I kept on killing the spider thinking it dropped monster bone L but nope, it's a different monster. Ah well, at least I got mats out of it.

I spent an entire week hunting nothing but G-Rank Lagiacrus in the last game looking for something. Turned out the (easier) high-rank Lagi dropped it.

Ugh.

Kane1345

Gaijin hunter has you covered :)

So I've noticed I have 1 Bumblepumpkin, but I have no idea where I got it from. I want a fair few for the Mosgharl set. Anyone know where I can go and get more?

Mupod

the jumping super pound with the hammer feels surprisingly effective. Maybe it's the hitbox, maybe it's just doing more damage which causes staggers. But I don't need to be nearly as precise with it as other weapons to get a mount going. Last time I used it, Hermitaur got knocked over too which seemed to make it so he couldn't fight back while I was up there.

Dragoshi1

Zamtrios is the first monster in a long time to make me feel EXCITED fighting it.

Like, a child-like glee fills me, and a big goofy smile on my face and uncontrollable giggling at the fun I'm having.

Last monster to do it was that massive dragon from the first monster hunter that needed a dragonator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom