• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Few questions.

How much single-player content do I have to complete until my character is basically set for multiplayer? For instance, I'm assuming I'll eventually be able to leave three orders for the Wycoon to multiply, but I'm at HR 3 and can only leave him with one item, making it difficult to maintain a steady supply of basic consumables.

Any recommended dual swords? My wife uses them and so far she's been working toward the Brachy dual swords.

I use Greatsword and have been working toward the Diablos GS, though I use whatever has better sharpness (Tetsucabra GS) in the meantime. Any other good Greatswords to consider?

Mupod

Gaijin Hunter's heavy bowgun tutorial is slightly more up-to-date and shows off the little screen shudder that happens at optimal range now. Though there hasn't been a lot of changes to the weapon mechanically, to be honest, so most of mazereon's tips still apply.

It's all coming back to me now. The reason I picked up bowguns again in 3U was the enhanced visual/audio effects made it easier for me to tell if I was playing them 'correctly'. Maybe now that I'm back on a portable system I'll need more time to adjust again.

Nachos

Few questions.

How much single-player content do I have to complete until my character is basically set for multiplayer? For instance, I'm assuming I'll eventually be able to leave three orders for the Wycoon to multiply, but I'm at HR 3 and can only leave him with one item, making it difficult to maintain a steady supply of basic consumables.
Assuming I'm not forgetting something, you'd just need to get to at least single player rank six to unlock all of the food options. I don't think there's anything after that.

Kinsei

Banned
Assuming I'm not forgetting something, you'd just need to get to at least single player rank six to unlock all of the food options. I don't think there's anything after that.

There is. The final quest in the story unlocks something very important for G rank.

Mupod

I'm on 6* village and I feel like I missed a lot of food quests. My meat is still level 0, but bread and veggies are 3. I did all the quests I could find but are some of them part of a chain? I skipped the dumb egg and fish delivery quests.

Fandangox

I'm on 6* village and I feel like I missed a lot of food quests. My meat is still level 0, but bread and veggies are 3. I did all the quests I could find but are some of them part of a chain? I skipped the dumb egg and fish delivery quests.

I haaaaaaaate egg and fish deliveries, but yep, gotta do those.

TheExodu5

Banned
Trying to decide on a weapon to main for now. How does everyone like Charge Blade? Seems like a good mix of power/mobility. I've done Hammer, Hunting Horn, and Switch Axe in the past...I liked them all. Not as fond of Great Sword due to the need to sheath constantly.

I'll probably still do Hunting Horn for multiplayer and for the ability to smash heads. So I wouldn't mind something with a good ability for tail cutting.

I am still in the early hours of the game (made it to Harth, completed a few key quests), and I have a decent SA weapon, had no trouble killing some of the other monsters, but whenever I'm hunting the Nerscylla, I always run into trouble. My weapon keeps bouncing back when I try to attack, is it cuz my weapon is it powerful enough? Or is it I'm attacking the wrong part on that damn spider... Thanks!

Kinsei

Banned
I am still in the early hours of the game (made it to Harth, completed a few key quests), and I have a decent SA weapon, had no trouble killing some of the other monsters, but whenever I'm hunting the Nerscylla, I always run into trouble. My weapon keeps bouncing back when I try to attack, is it cuz my weapon is it powerful enough? Or is it I'm attacking the wrong part on that damn spider... Thanks!

As long as you have green sharpness you should cut through everything but its fangs.

jorgejjvr

Don't attack the front claws.

You need more sharpness (I think greet at least) in order to not to bounce at Nerscylla. Try using the sword mode, because your attacks won't ever bounce while using it.

I need Monoblos materials in order to upgrade one of my Insect Glaives, but since that's my main weapon (a.k.a. the only one I've been using so far and the only thing upgraded), I can't break its horns. I have an impact-type Kinsect, and I have knocked it up at least twice with it, but I can't break it.

Should I make a new weapon (I used to main Hunting Horn in P3rd so I have a lot of experience on it) or should I try Sonic Bombs + bombing it?

Because of Kinsei's advice, I have now successfully executed 2 mounts in one run using a Bowgun. It was against the guy that looks like the Gigginox from MH3U. Also looks like a mix between a dragon and a LikeLike from Zelda. I can't remember his name, but I hated that fight XD

Kinsei

Banned
Because of Kinsei's advice, I have now successfully executed 2 mounts in one run using a Bowgun. It was against the guy that looks like the Gigginox from MH3U. Also looks like a mix between a dragon and a LikeLike from Zelda. I can't remember his name, but I hated that fight XD

That's Khezu. He's been around since the very first Monster Hunter.

Prototype

Anybody getting tons of wild healing palico? That's like all I get.
It's all I use lol.

If there's no ledge, climb up a wall and just jump off. So many possibilities for mounting and or jump attacks.

Anybody want to help me hunt Seltas Queen? One or two more runs and I ought to be able to make the armor set, then we could do whatever.

Kane1345

Fav thing to do: Knock Nerscylla out of the air with the IG whilst he's slingshotting across the room. Take that you creepy ass spider!

Facegravy

Okay. I just bought a WiiU. I had MH3U on 3DS, but never got around playing it much without the onlinemode. MH4U adresses that. But I think MH4U look way worse than MH3U, maybe it is the textures or just the color palette. But since I bought a WiiU should i get 3U on it instead? I like the graphicsdesign better, but is there anyone still playing that game? Having a hard time deciding and since they cost about the same in my country I won't buy both.

I'm using the kiranico site to look at heavy bowguns to see which tree I want to go down, but I'm not sure how to values work. For reload it says: Average, above average, below average, slow, and fast. Am I correct in assuming that below average reload means it's reload speed is faster than most and above average reload means it's reload speed is slower than most?

Edit: Also, what do blast shots do?

GeekyDad

Looks ilke LS got toned down a bit :( If you don't spirit up your third stage before it depletes, your sword returns to normal, rather than back down to yellow.

ilium

I'm using the kiranico site to look at heavy bowguns to see which tree I want to go down, but I'm not sure how to values work. For reload it says: Average, above average, below average, slow, and fast. Am I correct in assuming that below average reload means it's reload speed is faster than most and above average reload means it's reload speed is slower than most?

i think those values are absolute rather than relative.

Mupod

IAm I correct in assuming that below average reload means it's reload speed is faster than most and above average reload means it's reload speed is slower than most?

I think it's the other way around. Shit, I forgot everything about bowguns.

Edit: From a bowgun FAQ:

Bowgun Reload Speed:

Reload Rating Value
-------------------------
Fastest 6
V. Fast 5
Fast 4
Abv. Avg 3
Average 2
Bel. Avg 1
Slow 0
V. Slow -1
Ext. Slow -2

The annoying thing is I think the translation for some of these levels may have changed in 4U. I remember seeing bowguns with 'some' as their reload stat.

Cerity

Dreamt that I was playing the game, woke up and caught myself twiddling my thumbs as if I were actually playing.

It's begun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom