• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuffy

Edit: Also, what do blast shots do?
Blast shots are like slime shots from 3 Ultimate - shots build up blast on the monster like a status effect and then it explodes like a barrel bomb when enough has been applied. I don't think they're particularly effective.

Mupod

If I'm going to fire a shot with explosive damage it's going to be fuckin crag shot because crag shot is awesome. Who needs hammers?

I think it's the other way around. Shit, I forgot everything about bowguns.

Edit: From a bowgun FAQ:

Bowgun Reload Speed:

Reload Rating Value
-------------------------
Fastest 6
V. Fast 5
Fast 4
Abv. Avg 3
Average 2
Bel. Avg 1
Slow 0
V. Slow -1
Ext. Slow -2

The annoying thing is I think the translation for some of these levels may have changed in 4U. I remember seeing bowguns with 'some' as their reload stat.

Thanks a bunch! The some just refers to recoil, and from what I see, the only values for recoil are low, some, average, and high. And I assume they go in that order as most desirable to least.

Mupod

Thanks a bunch! The some just refers to recoil, and from what I see, the only values for recoil are low, some, average, and high. And I assume they go in that order as most desirable to least.

I don't know how the hell I got recoil and reload confused.

But yeah, also when you get the reload, reload+1 etc skills it goes by that table when improving your reload speeds.

tuffy

Exactly. However, the amount of recoil is also affected by shot type. For instance, normal and elemental shots are all recoil-less so they'll fire the same no matter what your gun's recoil level is. But pierce shot and explosive shot have a lot of recoil so you'll prefer a weapon with lower recoil if possible.

I can't believe how far some of you are! I've played this game 22 hours so far (which is an insane amount in such a short amount of time), and I just fought the Rathian for the first time. Some of you are at the Pink Rathian?!?! Holy Cow, it just came out Friday! Yall are amazing! That spot took me like 80 hours to get to in MH3U.

I am about 1/2 through 3⭐ in the village and have had trouble attacking with mounting. Sometimes I use "X" and sometimes "A"? Is there a reason it jumps between the two, is there a way to know which button I need to mash before I mount?

I am about 1/2 through 3⭐ in the village and have had trouble attacking with mounting. Sometimes I use "X" and sometimes "A"? Is there a reason it jumps between the two, is there a way to know which button I need to mash before I mount?

From my [limited] experience, it seems like as long as you (1) roll/jump from somewhere above it, (2) attack in some way while in the air, and (3) it knocks them down, you should mount it. If A attacks while you're in air, then that probably works just as well.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Only use X when the monster head icon is Green
Hold R to hang on when the monster head icon is Red or Yellow

A does nothing (or it dismounts you im not sure)

OH YOU MEAN TOOO MOUNT?

I think it's any jumping attack, X seems to be the go to for most weapon classes. I've never used A.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Only use X when the monster head icon is Green
Hold R to hang on when the monster head icon is Red or Yellow

A does nothing (or it dismounts you im not sure)

OH YOU MEAN TOOO MOUNT?

I think it's any jumping attack, X seems to be the go to for most weapon classes. I've never used A.

Got it! Thanks for the run down. I guess I phrased it wrong, was looking as to once already mounted. I totally forgot about holding R. Going to give it another go. I'll stick to "X"

Oh and also I was able to break G. Jaggi's frill by mounting it.

Mupod

I can't believe how far some of you are! I've played this game 22 hours so far (which is an insane amount in such a short amount of time), and I just fought the Rathian for the first time. Some of you are at the Pink Rathian?!?! Holy Cow, it just came out Friday! Yall are amazing! That spot took me like 80 hours to get to in MH3U.

I burned through MH3U unbelievably fast. I played naked until Volvidon, farmed his set in a few quick runs, and used that all the way through high rank. I just made whatever weapons I had the mats for.

Thing is, that was a game I'd already seen most of in Tri and P3rd - MH4 is a new game to me. So I'm taking it slow. Or I'm trying to anyways...I wanted to see Tigrex and the low rank village 'final boss' pretty badly so I kinda plowed through them.

WTF, in MH3U I could break the Great Jaggi frill with ease, in MH4U haven't done it one yet..

I noticed this too. Thing's indestructible...or rather Jaggi is too wimpy and he dies before it breaks if you hit ANYTHING else.

Mounting has a lot to do with the monster. As long as the attack hits the monster, you get a chance to mount it.

However, the attack must knock it down in order for you to mount it. An air attack can connect and do damage, but if it doesn't knock it, you won't mount it, there's no need to mash any button.
If an attack knocks the monster but you don't get to mount it, you have to run and get as close as you can to it as fast as you can in order to mount it.

As for why some attacks will knock the monster and some don't, it depends on the monster. I've seen that it's way easier to knock them with an aerial attack when they're tired (I get a lot of opportunities to do it, as I use Insect Glaive), also, the green bar that you have to fill with be closer to the right the more tired a monster is.

Also, the more you mount a monster, the more difficult it will be to do it again.
While you're mounting and attacking a monster, you can break parts on their back if any.

Oh, and if you have Earplugs, you can hit the monster while they roar to try to get you down as if the monster head was green in the bar.

WTF, in MH3U I could break the Great Jaggi frill with ease, in MH4U haven't done it one yet..

Me too. I swear I've tried 20 times, with mounting, without mounting, or with hammer and only going for headshots, and I can't get the freaking frill to drop.

Honestly at this point I'm giving up since the jaggi set seems to be outclassed here soon anyway.

Cerity

some people have been playing since last Tuesday/Wednesday at least, so there is that. Otherwise they make it pretty obvious which quests are the key quests.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Me too. I swear I've tried 20 times, with mounting, without mounting, or with hammer and only going for headshots, and I can't get the freaking frill to drop.

Honestly at this point I'm giving up since the jaggi set seems to be outclassed here soon anyway.

How can you tell if you've broken it's frill? Is there any real method to this? I heard you could only do it through mounting, but I mounted the guy 4 times in one session and still didn't get the frill.

There is only one mount location per creature, right?

Kane1345

If it's taking that long you can move on. The set will be redundant soon enough anyway when you move onto other monsters.

R0ckman

What advantage does a treasure palico have that the others don't? Usually the other palicos will harvest as well. The only difference is that the treasure one won't attack, he'll just rawr at monsters.

georly

some people have been playing since last Tuesday/Wednesday at least, so there is that. Otherwise they make it pretty obvious which quests are the key quests.

Please explain how to tell it's obvious. I just started playing multiplayer last night... and have only done the 'big monster' quests. Is there any other indicator?

Cerity

How can you tell if you've broken it's frill? Is there any real method to this? I heard you could only do it through mounting, but I mounted the guy 4 times in one session and still didn't get the frill.

There is only one mount location per creature, right?

You'll see bits fly off and holes in it's frill.

I'm pretty sure I've done it before in this with the CB and some well placed charges on it's face.

Please explain how to tell it's obvious. I just started playing multiplayer last night... and have only done the 'big monster' quests. Is there any other indicator?

Big monster quests are pretty much it, the ones with one or more big monsters are optional.

Have you tried using a bowgun? They suck at cutting off tails and stuff, but they are great at breaking faces. I usually break Jaggi's every time with just Normal 2 shots to the face.

EDIT: I will agree, though, I think they either decreased his max HP or increased the durability of his frills since MH3U. He's usually limping by the time I break it.

Yo I'm on level 4 quests on SP and done like all quests but I have two left with speech bubbles, checked the wiki and I've done the key quests, do I gotta do the quests with speech bubbles to open up the level 5 quest line?

la_briola

Yo I'm on level 4 quests on SP and done like all quests but I have two left with speech bubbles, checked the wiki and I've done the key quests, do I gotta do the quests with speech bubbles to open up the level 5 quest line?

You probably need to speak to an NPC in one of the towns.

edit: see below me.

I'm at the same part you are (I think), and you have to do the Expedition. It should be Gore Magala.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I need a better weapon, can someone help? I decided to main charge blade and for some reason it's the one weapon that isn't getting new forging recipes. I'm still using the defenders blade. I need something better, just started the 4star village quests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom