• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinsei

Banned
Wait, must I defeat those elder dragon before I can proceed? Or are those elder dragon's considered as HR?

No. as soon as you reach the 6* quests you get the urgent to progress to the 7* quests. Both 6* Dah'ren quests are low rank, but apparently the others are high rank and don't unlock until you reach their guild hall versions.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Geez I'm at 45+ hours and have yet to touch online beyond HR3.

The "final" boss was so awesome. Can't wait to start Dundorma!

I'm at about the same amount of hours, midway through HR3 and I just beat Frenzied Tigrex. Only another 800 hours to go until I can put down the game.

Experien

I am so early in this game and not sure what I am doing but I am loving it solo. Taking down Tekewhatever rock lizard thing by myself on an expedition with no health was amazing.

Still don't know what they are saying about skill point stuff with armor but I can do decorations and waiting on supplies to upgrade my Kinsect to a new design. I'm a little too excited about my Kinsect's upcoming new look?

LProtag

Damn, I caved in hard. I ordered a Circle Pad Pro online just now and I'm heading out to the store tomorrow to buy the game, haha.

Here's hoping I don't suck too horribly. Thankfully everyone's saying it's the easiest MH to get into.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
My game isn't set to arrive until maybe monday :( will anyone still be around to play with? Thinking about bucking my usual trends and trying out hammer for the first time.

Voidguts

hey guys, my friend and I finally got our LE editions and have been playing nonstop since Monday afternoon - the only negative thing going on here is he randomly is getting disconnected. sometimes 5 seconds in, sometimes 30 minutes in - it's seriously random. is anyone else experiencing this, or does he need to start looking into getting a new router? if it's the latter, can anyone recommend a decent one so we can hunt uninterrupted?

Damn, I caved in hard. I ordered a Circle Pad Pro online just now and I'm heading out to the store tomorrow to buy the game, haha.

Here's hoping I don't suck too horribly. Thankfully everyone's saying it's the easiest MH to get into.
eh sucking at MH is expected. just always prioritize this: DO NOT DIE. And work on it.

Prototype

Man, finally playing online and I have to say it's a HUGE step back from 3U / Wii U.

- can't name rooms
- can't communicate during hunts
- the virtual keyboard on the bottom screen on lobbies sucks.
- not even voice chat

Makes it a little awkward to coordinate and communicate during a hunt when you can only say like 10 set phrases.

-Opaque-

I've played a bit of Freedom Unite and liked it, but I'm OBSESSED with this game now. Love the hammer, but the insect glaive is a ton of fun too-- but I'm confused about which nectars to give the kinsect. Anyone have any general tips for that?

I've had the same thing happen, only with MH3 instead of Unite.
I'm about 13hrs in with the glaive, it's all about speed nectar. It allows you to get the all important buffs easier and faster. I think the only point this really changes is when you want to get unique kinsects, of which the buff extender one seems to be the one to go for (GaijinHunter has a guide on it).
If you don't do it already I'd suggest practicing shooting the kinsect without marking first too, once you get it down it's much faster.
2nd watching the GaijinHunter video on it, it helped me get my head around it all.

Hale-XF11

This is my first MH ever, I'm playing with a CPP and I couldn't be happier. I sucked for the first roughly 10 hrs, but after putting in about 25 so far and dedicating myself to one weapon, I'm a lot better and really enjoying taking down some enormous beasts. The CPP has been a huge help with that, especially with it being more ergonomic. I gotta have that comfort for those long hours of hunting and slaying.

-Opaque-

Buy from the Wycoon.

or if you don't want to spend caravan points/sick of getting bad rolls on him stocking the one you want then go on expeditions and gather at the red flower (I think they are flowers anyway...) beds, I've gotten a lot that way.

LProtag

My CPP won't be here for like a week or so, so I'll have to manage without it.

Right now I'm trying to debate what weapon I should try. I'm kinda torn between Great Sword, Long Sword, Switch Axe, or Sword and Shield. They all seem somewhat beginner friendly.

After 18 hours of killing, forging the Nerscyllas armor set, and forging the dual Chainsaw blades I can safely say I love this game. I gave up on MH3U after like 4 hours, but this game man. This game is doing something right and I have no idea what it is.

Plus I got over my complex with you huge weapon users. Dual Blades are amazing.

Holy hell, the Gore Magala fight was absolutely INTENSE. Loved it, had only one Mega Pot by the end of it. Thank god for capture guru and trap master!

Shengar

My CPP won't be here for like a week or so, so I'll have to manage without it.

Right now I'm trying to debate what weapon I should try. I'm kinda torn between Great Sword, Long Sword, Switch Axe, or Sword and Shield. They all seem somewhat beginner friendly.
Long Sword and Switch Axe, that's how I roll in MH3U.

PKrockin

Najarala is kind of a bastard. I jump attacked it a good 8 or 9 times but only mounted it once. Do you have to hit it in the face?

Also considering dumping one Palico because having two makes the faster monsters a hassle to fight. They keep scurrying around every which direction targeting different party members unpredictably.

Cerity

Rhenoplos are fucking ANNOYING.

Had a Jaggia hipcheck right when I was about to ultracharge a gore magala, the magala was taking up so much of the screen that I didn't even know that the jaggia was there :(

Konchu's too, fighting a Zamtrios and one comes rolling from halfway across the area :<

Shengar

Small monster interference is annoying, but it also true that I have saved more than once from Ivory Lagia electric charge attack or Deviljho dragon breath by rammed on the butt.

PKrockin

Rhenoplos are fucking ANNOYING.
I can honestly say about half the hits I've taken in this game were directly or indirectly because of Rhenopolos. It's harder to see them coming on the small screen and more limited camera controls. There even seem to be more of them

The small monsters are back to Freedom Unite levels of aggression too even in Low Rank, which surprised me.

Santiako

Yes, it starts at 7 stars, and as was mentioned earlier, you get an urgent quest at the beginning of the 6-star quests that takes you immediately into the 7-star quests.

I didn't get any urgents? Any requirements to get it?

edit: Nevermind, found a quest list, it seems you were talking about the Guild Hall, the caravan 6* has like 5 urgent quests lol

R0ckman

I am so early in this game and not sure what I am doing but I am loving it solo. Taking down Tekewhatever rock lizard thing by myself on an expedition with no health was amazing.

Still don't know what they are saying about skill point stuff with armor but I can do decorations and waiting on supplies to upgrade my Kinsect to a new design. I'm a little too excited about my Kinsect's upcoming new look?

When you have certain weapons and armors they give skill values like poision +1 or +2 if all your combined armor give +10 it gives you an ability negate poision. Going over + 10 will also take skills off of armor you don't want. They probably should have explained this better, but its all in the Hunter's Notes I'm sure.

Khezu

Switch Axe is still the coolest weapon ever.
The improvements from from Tri to 4 are really nice, especially being able to combo out of the infinite Axe slices.

Could have done with like any other monster then that stupid pink Baboon from MH2.

Durden77

This is one of those weird games that, similar to MH3, I just can't tell if I enjoy or not.

I love the idea in concept, but I can never quite tell how much fun I'm actually having when I'm playing it, if that makes any sense. There's also a lot of stuff that I feel like I just simply don't understand that well (although I think I understand a little better than my brief time with 3), and I don't have any friends to play with and don't know how much that enhances the experience. I don't even know about when I should dive into online play, or if I should at all. Like how many quests I should do solo or what.

Scher

I didn't get any urgents? Any requirements to get it?

edit: Nevermind, found a quest list, it seems you were talking about the Guild Hall, the caravan 6* has like 5 urgent quests lol

No, I was talking about the caravan. The caravaneer will ask you to go to Dundorma, where you will get an urgent quest that will unlock the 7* caravan quests. Other than that, you'll only have, like, 2 quests for 6* for now.

Edit: Also, I just realized that I was assuming you are already at 6* quests rather than just asking a general question of when high rank starts for the caravan. I apologize if my answer wasn't making a whole lot of sense since I was answering with a different context.

sonicmj1

I just got my MH4 New 3DS bundle, and I've plowed a bunch of time into the game. It's fun experimenting with the new Charge Axe.

One thing I've noticed happening a few times that I don't remember happening when I played MH4 is that sometimes, I see a bunch of gather points in an area when I enter it, only for them to vanish when I get closer. Is that normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom