• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reknoc

Dude took till the 2 minute mark till he missed a level 3 charged headshot.

Seriously can not see the tells he's going off of.

Doesn't look like he's going off tells, but getting behind the monster and charging up in preparation for the monster inevitably turning around to face him.

Kane1345

Dude took till the 2 minute mark till he missed a level 3 charged headshot.

Seriously can not see the tells he's going off of.

I perfected this technique in MHFU against Tigrex. Fought the damn thing enough times that it became second nature to get the level 3 off after he charged and turned to face me. The moment I let go of level 3 charge, WHACK right in the face. Very satisfying.

JimPanzer

anyone knows where I can get slagtoth hide+ from high rank slagtoths? I know there are two guild quests with them, but I'm not that high. Can I find slagtoth anywhere on high rank maps?

Condom

I perfected this technique in MHFU against Tigrex. Fought the damn thing enough times that it became second nature to get the level 3 off after he charged and turned to face me. The moment I let go of level 3 charge, WHACK right in the face. Very satisfying.
Jup, comes with experience.

Guys like Zinogre are a piece of cake if you already fought him dozens of times in older games. You just know what he'll do next.

R0ckman

not sure about G-rank, but in high rank single-player it becomes much less viable, it's often too dangerous to risk not mounting the monster and then standing right in front of it.

Pro players don't use it at all, because it takes too much time for the result you get of it.

Glaive makes it easy.

Teknoman

Added myself to the list! Going to be slicing up some monsters on the go tomorrow and then I should be adjusted enough to jump online.

Kane1345

Haha nice one, bet there are some with Hammer too.

There's a classic hammer bros one with 4 guys with hammers online destroying monsters and it's hilarious because they kept smashing each other with no fucks given. Unfortunately I found it once, laughed, then could never find it again :(

Leezard

I thought they removed the unsheate into charge for the hammer at first, but apparently it was just moved to r+a+x from r+x.

Chunky

I AM FUCKIN HYPE AS SHIT RIGHT NOW

>Fighting frenzied rathalos and frenzied rathian
>rathian is dead
>rathalos lookin like he's weak
>haven't carted once but I'm out of potions completely
>rathalos is up in the air lookin like he be reving up a fire ball
>get on a near by ledge and leap straight at him
>Hit X
>He releases fire ball
>BRACE FOR IMPACT
>BOOM
>QUEST COMPLETE
>fall to the ground smoldering still on fire as rathalos' limp body drops in front of me

Holy shit that's officially the clutchest kill I've ever done, had I not been in range or pushed X a second later I could have died.

I love monhun stories like this, they get me so hyped to keep playing.
Something pretty cool and similar just happened, I was grinding Velocidrome for his set (pretty decent for LR imo) and I must have levelled the quest up too much, because suddenly he's tough as shit. Really fast, wiping out half my health with his big jump attack, constantly repositioning himself out of my horn's hits. FUCKING INTENSE
I'm trying to play the song of my people and he's having fucking none of it.
Eventually his crest is smashed and I can see the end in sight.
I go for a jump attack and I manage to smack him right in the gob and KO him. He gets up, very pissed, and I go for it again so I can get a mount.
We collide IN MID-AIR, Dragonball z style, I fall on my ass with a smidge of green health but I get the quest clear jingle and Gesture> Prance all the way home.

Even without mounting, ledge attacks create some really fun moments.

jorgejjvr

Every time I'm at work, I feel like I should be home hunting, and not here wasting time xD. Throughout the day I'm thinking of the next steps I'm going to take when I get it in my hands again, and I usually have a goal for the day

Am I the only one? Lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I love monhun stories like this, they get me so hyped to keep playing.
Something pretty cool and similar just happened, I was grinding Velocidrome for his set (pretty decent for LR imo) and I must have levelled the quest up too much, because suddenly he's tough as shit. Really fast, wiping out half my health with his big jump attack, constantly repositioning himself out of my horn's hits. FUCKING INTENSE
I'm trying to play the song of my people and he's having fucking none of it.
Eventually his crest is smashed and I can see the end in sight.
I go for a jump attack and I manage to smack him right in the gob and KO him. He gets up, very pissed, and I go for it again so I can get a mount.
We collide IN MID-AIR, Dragonball z style, I fall on my ass with a smidge of green health but I get the quest clear jingle and Gesture> Prance all the way home.

Even without mounting, ledge attacks create some really fun moments.

Wait, hold on, what's this about leveling quests up? Would you (or anyone else) mind explaining?

And hell, while I'm at it, is there any good resource that details all the new stuff in 4U? It feels like I'm discovering new stuff all the time that the game isn't explaining (hell, I wouldn't have known about the new "item sets" thing if I hadn't heard someone mention it on a podcast).

PKrockin

Wait, hold on, what's this about leveling quests up? Would you (or anyone else) mind explaining?

And hell, while I'm at it, is there any good resource that details all the new stuff in 4U? It feels like I'm discovering new stuff all the time that the game isn't explaining (hell, I wouldn't have known about the new "item sets" thing if I hadn't heard someone mention it on a podcast).
They did explain it briefly at the very beginning. It's just really easy to forget about it with all the other content and features. It'd be nice if an NPC reminded you of it 10 hours in if you never played one to that point or something.

Qurupeke

I failed at my first quest. A fishing quest ffs. It asked for Small Goldenfish and I fished regular ones. Then I took my time killing Tetsu, mining and generally wasting my precious time. I had about 15 minutes left and I managed to catch only 3 of them....

JimPanzer

hm the stuff they throw at you in 9* feels really cheap, you bounce off a lot even with white sharpness and the monsters leave you no room to sharpen

The whole "waiting for the monster to turn" business is one of the reasons a lot of people run without companions, that way the monster's movement becomes more predictable.

Killed my second Gore today, was really only going Lance its tail off but things went pretty well so I decided to keep going, funnily I managed to break his feelers with the killing blow as well. He even dropped a plate, although I don't think I currently really have a use for it. Might make the Hammer, wouldn't want to waste the rare drop.

Hey guys I'm shit tier newbie in this. I'm fighting some giant bug thing after the great jaggi quest and it seems like I'm running out of time.

Is there any weapons that are better for newbs?

Hey guys I'm shit tier newbie in this. I'm fighting some giant bug thing after the great jaggi quest and it seems like I'm running out of time.

What are you using right now? Certain weapons have simpler movesets than others, but they all require a certain degree of mastery to be able to use proficiently.

Feebastic

In general, I think things like Sword and Shield and Lance are good for beginners, since they give you a block, decent mobility and damage. I've seen other people recommending Long Sword. What are you using now?

Zombine

Banned
I failed at my first quest. A fishing quest ffs. It asked for Small Goldenfish and I fished regular ones. Then I took my time killing Tetsu, mining and generally wasting my precious time. I had about 15 minutes left and I managed to catch only 3 of them....

You can get them pretty easy in 10 where all the felyne's are located. There's a fishing hole on the left side from the entrance.

Mupod

not sure about G-rank, but in high rank single-player it becomes much less viable, it's often too dangerous to risk not mounting the monster and then standing right in front of it.

Pro players don't use it at all, because it takes too much time for the result you get of it.

pretty sure it'll always be worth it on a greatsword, especially with focus. If I miss, I still get the equivalent of a L3 charge from the followup attack, or I just roll out of the way. I don't know if I'll bother on HBG though, needing to unsheathe my gun again and then go into siege mode takes too damn long.

Still, it's good for breaking back parts.

Lombax

Banned
So I was almost to the point of trading this game in over the weekend (this is my first Monster Hunter experience) but I decided to give it another shot yesterday.

I do not know when / how it happened but dat gameplay loop hit me, and all I can say now is this game is awesome!

I am really looking forward to multi-player once I get some more experience / gear, but damn GAF I see the obsession.

jorgejjvr

I love mounting, and thats part of the reason why I love the glaive

I also feel its very mobile and the attacks feel smooth, and I love getting all three buffs, feels like a beast

jorgejjvr

So I was almost to the point of trading this game in over the weekend (this is my first Monster Hunter experience) but I decided to give it another shot yesterday.

I do not know when / how it happened but dat gameplay loop hit me, and all I can say now is this game is awesome!

I am really looking forward to multi-player once I get some more experience / gear, but damn GAF I see the obsession.

Yeah, thats why i think everyone needs to be open minded and give games a try and give them time. This is also my first real MH, luckily my brother is a veteran so he has been really helpful, but I also felt a bit burned out at first, didnt really feel it. But a couple of hours in, and it all clicked, might not be an expert yet but I get it and best of all its simply FUN and addicting!

Lombax

Banned
Yeah, thats why i think everyone needs to be open minded and give games a try and give them time. This is also my first real MH, luckily my brother is a veteran so he has been really helpful, but I also felt a bit burned out at first, didnt really feel it. But a couple of hours in, and it all clicked, might not be an expert yet but I get it and best of all its simply FUN and addicting!

Aye! my only problem with the game at the moment, and this is a minor complaint is that I hate that the missions are timed. I have just never been a fan of time limits in games.
I also am by no means an expert but, I upgraded my blades and crafted some armor last night and just became addicted there and there I think.

Question: Every time you accept a quest, you get a little paper sign on top of your head, and that sign show up as different colors... What do the colors mean? Is it relative difficulty to your equipment and stuff? Thanks!

wwm0nkey

I love mounting, and thats part of the reason why I love the glaive

I also feel its very mobile and the attacks feel smooth, and I love getting all three buffs, feels like a beast
Insect Glive's R+B has saved my ass so many times. Feel like I'm on easy mode with it though lol

Mzo

Question: Every time you accept a quest, you get a little paper sign on top of your head, and that sign show up as different colors... What do the colors mean? Is it relative difficulty to your equipment and stuff? Thanks!

It's the type of quest you're on. Red is kill, green is gathering, etc.

jorgejjvr

Aye! my only problem with the game at the moment, and this is a minor complaint is that I hate that the missions are timed. I have just never been a fan of time limits in games.
I also am by no means an expert but, I upgraded my blades and crafted some armor last night and just became addicted there and there I think.

I mean considering that the missions are 50 mins long I dont mind, plus the time just makes it a little more exciting when you beat a monster in the nick of time, makes you do time management. That being said, sometimes I have a quest, and manage to roam the world and collect a bunch of stuff before fighting the monster, do the subquest, and sactually beat the monster and still have plenty of time left. So at the very least its reasonable, I forget its even there

jorgejjvr

Insect Glive's R+B has saved my ass so many times. Feel like I'm on easy mode with it though lol

On the contrary, managing the buffs, dodging with the glaive at the right time, hitting that sweet spot with R+B and mounting, hitting the monster with all you got with your buffs, controlling the insect and hitting the certain body parts, escaping close calls etc. It feels all very strategic to me and very rewarding, this is my first real MH game and this is the weapon that has stuck to me, I love it, I have fun when I use it, I also love that it feels fast and very unique compared to the other weapons. I tried every other weapon, but I cant, I keep coming back for the glive :p Which I find interesting since I've heard people recommend other weapons to start with for beginners.

Cerity

Woo, Gore urgent done, that was tough to solo. Failed the quest the first time, sheer damage output and playing passively did me in. 2nd time around I was more aggressive in both getting and placing charges and it sure did work. Pretty much broke everything on it and managed to get a plate :3

HR3 come at me.

jorgejjvr

Okay, got the Heart Rath set, P.Rathian became easy once I had a decent High Rank set.

I'm thinking of getting its full set, I havent had time to play much on HR5 but from the urgent I got enough to make the waist armor and it was over 50 def, best i've seen so far. Unless there's something better?

General question, its there specific armor that are just simply better for certain weapons or something? I just usually make a part once I can make something and just wear it for the better defense, dont think about it too much. I've heard full sets does some good things, but if certain ones compliment a certain weapon or set up better i'll like to know

Gaz_RB

I'm thinking of getting its full set, I havent had time to play much on HR5 but from the urgent I got enough to make the waist armor and it was over 50 def, best i've seen so far. Unless there's something better?

General question, its there specific armor that are just simply better for certain weapons or something? I just usually make a part once I can make something and just wear it for the better defense, dont think about it too much. I've heard full sets does some good things, but if certain ones compliment a certain weapon or set up better i'll like to know

Pretty much all the HR 5 armor is around 50+. I've done Pink Rath so many times I just decided to make the set though.

Cerity

Each piece of armour comes with some skill 'points', when you complete the set you'll usually get at least 10 points in those skills thus granting it. eg. with the Heart Rath set, you'll get

Wind Res +15
Fire Atk +13
Potential +10
Sense -5

while it's not specific to a weapon, there are sets that'll benefit certain weapons. Say you get Sheathing and Fast Charge on a set, it'd be pretty good for a GS. Towards the end people tend to mix and match though.

jorgejjvr

if you complete armour sets you'll usually get the skills that come with it. eg. with the Heart Rath set, you'll get

Wind Res +15
Fire Atk +13
Potential +10
Sense -5

while it's not specific to a weapon, there are sets that'll benefit certain weapons. Say you get Sheathing and Fast Charge on a set, it'd be pretty good for a GS. Towards the end people tend to mix and match though.

Any ideas of a good set for my insect glaive, its the gore magala one and has dragon skill

and how can you know in advance what each full set will give you? or just armor in general. I've been just equipping randomly until this point just looking at the number of defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom