• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to Harth and talk to the chief to get the quest required for you to build an airship. They mentioned this before you get the expedition to save the Ace Hunters so you most likely just forgot along the way.

Oh yeah, I remember them talking about the airship, but not about Harth. Thanks!

Just crafted the Narscylla GS, it's beautiful, has great sharpness, sleep element damage, but has super low RAW damage... why? :(

Most sleep weapons do have low raw to balance the weapon.

Best bet is to make an armor set for Attack up XL, Bring Demon Cats, and pop Demon Drugs.

Its probably really hard to inflict Sleep with Great sword unless they changed how Status and Elements are applied for Great Swords

I heard they changes the mechanics since its so damn hard to score back to back hits. I dunno

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Just crafted the Narscylla GS, it's beautiful, has great sharpness, sleep element damage, but has super low RAW damage... why? :(

Because later down the tree it becomes a sleep weapon and anything with status like para and sleep always seem to have low raw.

Immolator blade is fucking awesome though but that's honestly where I would stop upgrading that weapon line.

Can Great Sword even Inflict Sleep more than once a fight?

Might be worth it to score 3X Damage Triple Charges if you can pump the Attack rating high enough to make it worth it.

Even with the affinity it doesn't do as much damage as my other GS, the sharpness is pretty nice for several specific battles but that's it.

Because later down the tree it becomes a sleep weapon and anything with status like para and sleep always seem to have low raw.

Immolator blade is fucking awesome though but that's honestly where I would stop upgrading that weapon line.

yeah, it sucks because when it comes to GS the Raw damage is more important than anything else. I got the Immolator Blade just for the looks, but I won't ever use it.

Scher

How is online with randoms? Do people strategize or just do whatever and kind of just play things by ear?

It's super dependent on the kind of people you end up grouping with. When playing with randoms, I've had groups that just plain sucked and couldn't coordinate in any way, meanwhile other groups have been fantastic and people made sure to play around others and sent out messages when they wanted to trap, sleep, or do whatever. Your best bet with a random room is to just play it by ear until you get a good idea how well people are working with each other.

How is online with randoms? Do people strategize or just do whatever and kind of just play things by ear?

So far in lower ranks, people basically just do whatever. Lots of disconnects too. It's usually a bunch of Insect Glaive people hopping around - I haven't been in a group with another ranged (LBG/HBG/Bow) user yet, or a Horn user.

Raide

Yeah

Much easier on New 3DS with the Nub and extra shoulder buttons. Still tricky. I rarely aim since it usually takes so long. Instead I just position my guy according to the defualt arrow flight path and let em fly.

I just have to get back into knowing the distance for the charge-up attack and move myself around. Getting to the New 3ds nub is a little tricky at times and it does not always feel like I am making enough b movement to do something.

Gaz_RB

It usually depends on how long you play with them. First few fights are sometimes eh, but after you gain some synergy and camaraderie, it usually gets pretty good. Yesterday morning I joined a group of randoms and four hours later we were best friends and had gone up two HR ranks. I guess it pretty much depends on luck.

jorgejjvr

why is it that every time I go to my MH4 game I have to tell my system to turn on the circle pad pro, which is really my new 3ds nub? I have to press start and go through it every single time, cant i just keep it with that setting forever?

So far in lower ranks, people basically just do whatever. Lots of disconnects too. It's usually a bunch of Insect Glaive people hopping around - I haven't been in a group with another ranged (LBG/HBG/Bow) user yet, or a Horn user.
I'm an IG user, and I generally mount the monster multiple times during quests (in high rank). I wait until the monster is enraged and knock it over to give people time to heal and beat the shit out of the monster.

Not sure why people look down on mounting. If you strategize right, you can save your teammates a lot of damage and really lay down the hurt on dangerous monsters. It's not great in solo, but it has good utility in multi.

Kinsei

Banned
Can I just say how great Hermitaur is in this game? His new moves are great. The only bad thing was he went down so fast that I could have sworn I was fighting a low rank monster. I really hope the single player difficulty picks up soon.

I'm an IG user, and I generally mount the monster multiple times during quests (HR). I wait until the monster is engaged and knock it over to give people time to heal and beat the shit out of the monster.

Not sure why people look down on mounting. If you strategize right, you can save your teammates a lot of damage and really lay down the hurt on dangerous monsters. It's not great in solo, but it has good utility in multi.

I think he meant IG users that do almost nothing but jump attacks. That's annoying.

jorgejjvr

I'm an IG user, and I generally mount the monster multiple times during quests (HR). I wait until the monster is engaged and knock it over to give people time to heal and beat the shit out of the monster.

Agreed, I use mounting for strategic purposes as an IG user as well. It helps other people recover, and helps me get my buff with the monster on the floor and everyone can then go all out. I can also use the R+B to take out a monster that is flying, they can potentially fall down and it may or may not mount. Anyways, the glaive mounting does actually help, and i do think its also great in solo. It helps me escape serious situations and mounting by myself still helps with buffs and go all out

I guess jumping all around doing nothing useful is where the problem is at, i understand

R0ckman

To be honest, unless you are soloing, and with no cats. Mounting is actually very useful. The issue is that the aggro in this game is very loose. The monster seems to just attack whoever they feel like. If the monster is really aggressive there is some cases where they will attack one person then turn around and immediately go after someone way across the map. Its harder to read them if they are randomly attack in all directions.

jorgejjvr

To be honest, unless you are soloing, and with no cats. Mounting is actually very useful. The issue is that the aggro in this game is very loose. The monster seems to just attack whoever they feel like. If the monster is really aggressive there is some cases where they will attack one person then turn around and immediately go after someone way across the map. Its harder to read them if they are randomly attack in all directions.

I fail to understand why people say that the IG is not good for solo, as ive been using since the very beginning of the game and had no problems by myself or with people

JimPanzer

Just wait till you get evade +3 to go with it.

Back in the original 4 you could get evade+3, evade dist+, sharpness+1, and speed sharpener using low rank Narga gear. They nerfed Narga gear though...

hm I tried Evasion+2 with the stygian zinogre set, but the additional i-frames don't really make an impact on my performance. If I miss a dodge, it's most of the so much off that the additional i-frames don't help I guess.

Nottle

So I've decided on long sword, what do you all recommend equipment wise? I am very early just did the first expedition so I have the iron and bone beginning long swords.

I'm an IG user, and I generally mount the monster multiple times during quests (in high rank). I wait until the monster is enraged and knock it over to give people time to heal and beat the shit out of the monster.

I think he meant IG users that do almost nothing but jump attacks. That's annoying.

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. I don't mind mounting - it's kinda nice to get a break to heal up and change ammo/coatings. I was getting at IG users just jumping around and not doing anything.

Kinsei

Banned
So I've decided on long sword, what do you all recommend equipment wise? I am very early just did the first expedition so I have the iron and bone beginning long swords.

Earkly on you'll want a wide variety of long swords. Try and get one of every element.

I've had my regular New 3DS shut off for seemingly no reason at all a couple of times while playing the game. One time was after I knocked the back of the unit (against a remote, not even that hard) near the power button. I ended up taking the back off and giving the battery a bit of a push and it hasn't happened since, but I can't say if it was the problem. I'd be interested to know if you took the back off, to access the memory card or write down the serial number or whatever else. I had (for cover plate reasons), which is what made me check the battery.

For what its worth, I tried searching yesterday as well and didn't find any mention of a problem. ):

I've had one soft lock. Had to reset the system. Not sure what initiated it. Nothing since, though. And that was early on.

Just loaded it up again and pressed the power button on purpose. Noticed that it doesn't give an option to return straight to the game so I'm going to assume that I foolishly pressed the power button with my little finger that naturally rests right near it! lol

Nottle

Earkly on you'll want a wide variety of long swords. Try and get one of every element.
Ok I'll keep that in mind. I know very little about the upgrading so but I know there are paths and branches, should in go bone or iron, should I buy multiples of either?

R0ckman

I fail to understand why people say that the IG is not good for solo, as ive been using since the very beginning of the game and had no problems by myself or with people

I'm speaking in terms of if people prefer not to use it. Soloing is probably a better place to prefer that method. Personally I love it. Its my main weapon of choice.

Beartruck

Newb here. So, I replaced a piece of armor with 9 defense with a piece of armor with 19 defense, and my defense went down. So I look at it and discover that skill boosts for armor have a certain threshold they need to cross in order to be active, and by switching greaves I deactivated my defense up skill. Then I realize the importance of having different armor sets for different situations because of said skill boosts and oh god help the rabbit hole is getting deeper.

Kinsei

Banned
Ok I'll keep that in mind. I know very little about the upgrading so but I know there are paths and branches, should in go bone or iron, should I buy multiples of either?

Get both. Go to kiranico and lok at the weapon tree to see how many branches of each path you want to go down to decide how many you want of each.

Newb here. So, I replaced a piece of armor with 9 defense with a piece of armor with 19 defense, and my defense went down. So I look at it and discover that skill boosts for armor have a certain threshold they need to cross in order to be active, and by switching greaves I deactivated my defense up skill. Then I realize the importance of having different armor sets for different situations because of said skill boosts and oh god help the rabbit hole is getting deeper.

Not really. You generally only need one armor set in each rank (low, high, and G) if you use a melee weapon. Only gunners need multiplae sets.

XaosWolf

Was determined to use the Charge Blade on my playthrough, but am stuck with an awful sharpness and sod all upgrade routes. (Even those grant little sharpness improvement)

So for now I have gone back to Switch Axe. Sharpness much of an issue there.

Coming across my main annoyance with playing through MHP3rd: Defeat monsters and get a billion different Great Swords, Lances, Heavy Bowguns, etc and no new Switch Axes or Charge Blades. =(

Finally got access to more Palicoes though.

Shengar

Welcome, you just found yourself the rabbit hole to MH Armory Wonderland

Kinsei

Banned
Was determined to use the Charge Blade on my playthrough, but am stuck with an awful sharpness and sod all upgrade routes. (Even those grant little sharpness improvement)

So for now I have gone back to Switch Axe. Sharpness much of an issue there.

Coming across my main annoyance with playing through MHP3rd: Defeat monsters and get a billion different Great Swords, Lances, Heavy Bowguns, etc and no new Switch Axes or Charge Blades. =(

The charge blade has great sharpness once you upgrade it twice (which you can do in the 2 star quests). Seriously, you can kill everything with ease using only the two mini whetstones provided on the low rank quests.

It is good for solo, but mounting in solo isn't all that great because it takes so long and you don't end up getting to attack as much because of the dismounting animation.

XaosWolf

The charge blade has great sharpness once you upgrade it twice (which you can do in the 2 star quests). Seriously, you can kill everything with ease using only the two mini whetstones provided on the low rank quests.

I have the Defenders Blade. That the right route?

I'm on 4 star hunter quests right now and had issues with the Basarios.
Does the Charge Blade have a trick to bypassing the deflections? (Charged shield? Just the phial attacks?)

Shengar

It is good for solo, but mounting in solo isn't all that great because it takes so long and you don't end up getting to attack as much because of the dismounting animation.

It still useful if you went for certain part that otherwise hard to break due to the movement or height of the monster.

Kinsei

Banned
I have the Defenders Blade. That the right route?

I'm on 4 star hunter quests right now and had issues with the Basarios.
Does the Charge Blade have a trick to bypassing the deflections? (Charged shield? Just the phial attacks?)

Basarios is annoying beacuse green keeps bouncing. Yeah, the Defenders Blade is good, and so is Dear Lutemis (Rathian) and the Zamtrios one. You should also be sure to craft the Gore Magala CB once you reach 5* because it has amazing sharpness and the first upgrade to it gives you blue sharpness.

Just loaded it up again and pressed the power button on purpose. Noticed that it doesn't give an option to return straight to the game so I'm going to assume that I foolishly pressed the power button with my little finger that naturally rests right near it! lol
I have done this multiple times. Terrible placement of the power button on the NXL.

MegaMelon

The scariest part is all of the combo attacks he gets. You never know when it's safe to attack while he's in rage.

IKR! I'll just go get that wyvern stone that lowers damage taken and let my bug do all the hard work until it's outta fast forward mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom