• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zafir

Please tell me there isn't many of these stupid egg carrying quests?

I've not really gotten into a MH before, but was enjoying MH4 up until this awful quest. >.< It seems like it does everything to make the quest more tedious.

Faiz

I've not really gotten into a MH before, but was enjoying MH4 up until this awful quest. >.< It seems like it does everything to make the quest more tedious.

Yes, egg deliveries are awful and everyone hates them. Yes there are more. Just wait till you are
dodging a rathian while running with an egg

Kane1345

lol the bane of every hunter. I don't think there's that many

Kinsei

Banned

There's a few, but they're all really easy in this game.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
yeah, it sucks because when it comes to GS the Raw damage is more important than anything else. I got the Immolator Blade just for the looks, but I won't ever use it.

The blue sharpness gives it a 1.25 multiplier to its base damage as opposed to green shaprness 1.13

That makes it better and easier to get than most weapons with the same raw and some elemental.

tuffy

I only count 5, and most of them don't appear to be key quests. I suspect they exist mostly to help players learn the routes on the map better, though chugging a Mega Dash Juice helps make them a lot less tedious.

I have the whole of this evening to hunt! I've added all the EU people on the gaf list so look me up if you want to hunt. (starting in 30mins)

thefil

Does a Gore Magala only drop out of Frenzy when you attack its feelers? Had a terrible fight with my girlfriend last night where his second frenzy lasted about 7 minutes and only ended when he died.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
lol the bane of every hunter. I don't think there's that many

The 5 star village quests has the hardest egg carry quest in the series if you ask me :p

frenzied rathalos + frenzied rathian
deliver 3 eggs
Boulders block the quick route every delivery
And it is on heavens mout so if you dont eat for felyne lander you're screwed since getting hit while climbing down vines is very likely.

Kinsei

Banned
The 5 star village quests has the hardest egg carry quest in the series if you ask me :p

frenzied rathalos + frenzied rathian
deliver 3 eggs
Boulders block the quick route every delivery
And it is on heavens mout so if you dont eat for felyne lander you're screwed since getting hit while climbing down vines is very likely.

6*

That's still nothing compared to the first gen egg quests. Fuck those stupid homing prey.

Anura

Does a Gore Magala only drop out of Frenzy when you attack its feelers? Had a terrible fight with my girlfriend last night where his second frenzy lasted about 7 minutes and only ended when he died.

Yeah, At some point you need to hit them to break him out of it.

Just beat Gore Magala and what a really fun, difficult fight. When it's enraged it's blast does so much damage. I'm still trying to figure out how frenzy virus works, it almost completely wrecked me.

Mzo

They're a tradition. Make a set of carry armor, some dash juice, and eat for lander.

I figured out pretty quick to make the Loc Lac armor to do egg quests (Which of course NEEDED EGG QUESTS WTF) and to pack dash juices. I haven't had much problem with them so far. :)

Except for fucking konchu flying off the side of the cliff and beaning me in the back of the head as I'm exiting the area.

I'm about to do a ton of grinding online.
First hunting High Rank G. Jaggi for some parts, then Pink Rathian to make her set. If anyone wants to joint let me know.

Just don't do them, they aren't mandatory.

Raptomex

My Amazon order shipped the other day. Kind of excited. I somehow got $12 off. I don't think I pre-ordered it at any lower price but I'm not complaining. Now it seems to be overpriced on Amazon other than third-party sellers. Is this selling really well in NA?

Zafir

There's a few, but they're all really easy in this game.
Well, it's not that they're hard, it was just tedious as a new player. Didn't know what the mobs looked like so I had to go to every area to look. Unfortunately the one they were in(which admittedly did give a cutscene) happened to be one of the last I checked. Then it decides to spawn a group of Jaggi's in the area you go through which you can't clear out before picking up the egg because they don't spawn till then. I stupidly took the pet which was a mistake because as soon as I attack one of them, he decides to go running and attacking the other bird, alerting it. That wouldn't be too much of an issue, but, the bird wouldn't always drop an egg despite it seemingly not being aware of your presence(maybe it is aware and hasn't turned around, I'm not sure), and sometimes it would drop golden ones when you needed normals. Plus once you've got one normal egg done, it blocks paths and moves them to force you to go a longer route.

To top it all off, I ended up failing because I had a few mins left after all the faffing, decided to run but my stamina wasn't great as I'd ran out of rations at that point(I hadn't needed any in the previous missions so didn't have a massive amount), ran out of stamina literally five steps before the hand in box, and running out of stamina seems to break it for what ever reason.... Safe to say I wasn't particularly happy after that, lol.

It'll probably be easy if I try it again since I know where they all are, not to take the damn cat, and what not to do if I don't want to break it. But, as a first experience it just wasn't pleasant at all. :p Good to know there isn't many, though I have no doubt even other ones shouldn't be quite as arduous as this one was, considering most of my problems were just due to lack of knowledge.
I only count 5, and most of them don't appear to be key quests. I suspect they exist mostly to help players learn the routes on the map better, though chugging a Mega Dash Juice helps make them a lot less tedious.
They're a tradition. Make a set of carry armor, some dash juice, and eat for lander.
Fair enough, thanks for the tips.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
My Amazon order shipped the other day. Kind of excited. I somehow got $12 off. I don't think I pre-ordered it at any lower price but I'm not complaining. Now it seems to be overpriced on Amazon other than third-party sellers. Is this selling really well in NA?

It is over priced because physical stock of the game is pretty hard to find in a lot of areas.

Sales seem to be good when compared to production, there is a good chance it was under produced though.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Egg quests are fun, I hated the damn powder stone run cause no matter what the damn thing always exploded.

Just boost stamina a shitload and don't go below 1/3 stamina. Egga seem to break when stamina runs out.

They're overrated difficulty wise if you're a bit prepared

Nirran

The discount came from when Walmart screwed up and put a bunch of games at lower prices including MH4. Amazon price matched it at one point so that's where you got the preorder price guaranteed.

Just started playing yesterday. The first thing I noticed is that the game is way jaggier when I turn on 3D. Is AA disable when playing in 3D or something?

I has always been Hammer/Bow in the past MH so I decided to go for lance this time. I looked up how to play lance from Gaijinhunter and got blown away at how fun it looks. I mean, lancer can jump?? lol

Kinsei

Banned
Well, it's not that they're hard, it was just tedious as a new player. Didn't know what the mobs looked like so I had to go to every area to look. Unfortunately the one they were in(which admittedly did give a cutscene) happened to be one of the last I checked. Then it decides to spawn a group of Jaggi's in the area you go through which you can't clear out before picking up the egg because they don't spawn till then. I stupidly took the pet which was a mistake because as soon as I attack one of them, he decides to go running and attacking the other bird, alerting it. That wouldn't be too much of an issue, but, the bird wouldn't always drop an egg despite it seemingly not being aware of your presence(maybe it is aware and hasn't turned around, I'm not sure), and sometimes it would drop golden ones when you needed normals. Plus once you've got one normal egg done, it blocks paths and moves them to force you to go a longer route.

To top it all off, I ended up failing because I had a few mins left after all the faffing, decided to run but my stamina wasn't great as I'd ran out of rations at that point(I hadn't needed any in the previous missions so didn't have a massive amount), ran out of stamina literally five steps before the hand in box, and running out of stamina seems to break it for what ever reason.... Safe to say I wasn't particularly happy after that, lol.

It'll probably be easy if I try it again since I know where they all are, not to take the damn cat, and what not to do if I don't want to break it. But, as a first experience it just wasn't pleasant at all. :p Good to know there isn't many, though I have no doubt even other ones shouldn't be quite as arduous as this one was, considering most of my problems were just due to lack of knowledge.

Fair enough, thanks for the tips.

the future egg quests in single player don;t rely on random drops like that one does. After this you'll just need to grab egss from a nest and take them back to camp.

I can;t stree this enough: Buy the info books from the shop! They give you a picture along with the monsters name so you'll never be wondering what the thing you're supposed to find is.

Kane1345

Just started playing yesterday. The first thing I noticed is that the game is way jaggier when I turn on 3D. Is AA disable when playing in 3D or something?

I has always been Hammer/Bow in the past MH so I decided to go for lance this time. I looked up how to play lance from Gaijinhunter and got blown away at how fun it looks. I mean, lancer can jump?? lol

Yup and they can mount a monster using that jump

Zafir

the future egg quests in single player don;t rely on random drops like that one does. After this you'll just need to grab egss from a nest and take them back to camp.

I can;t stree this enough: Buy the info books from the shop! They give you a picture along with the monsters name so you'll never be wondering what the thing you're supposed to find is.

Ah, is that how you populated the monster list then? I was wondering why it didn't auto populate lol. Serves me right for not checking the shop in depth I guess. :p

ilium

failed a quest for the first time just now. Daimyo Hermitaur... i liked fighting him in MHFU but his new claw side wipe attack is super annoying. :<

the noise he makes while sleeping is kinda cute tho

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Lance is SO fun, but don't expect no record breaking kill times. Damage is relatively low, but you SHINE on your survivability.

Question - how on earth do I reliably mount a monster? I've been trying to do it with Switch Axe, so I don't have a ground jump ability.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
failed a quest for the first time just now. Daimyo Hermitaur... i liked fighting him in MHFU but his new claw side wipe attack is super annoying. :<

I got double carted on that one because of that bubble beam move he has. That thing 1 shot me if it touched me.

Scher

Crabwalking into everything and swiping me with his claw was super annoying when I first fought him. I can't even tell who he's targeting half the time!

Raide

How do I change the shortcut tabs at the bottom of the screen.? Can I assign something other than whetstones? Bow user, so it would be handy to put some other things lol.

Also, just killed that flying bug thing early on. Damn that thing is annoying moving around.

tuffy

How do I change the shortcut tabs at the bottom of the screen.? Can I assign something other than whetstones? Bow user, so it would be handy to put some other things lol.

Also, just killed that flying bug thing early on. Damn that thing is annoying moving around.
When you're not on a quest, hitting start allows you to rearrange all the tiles at the bottom of the screen. There should be ones for coating management and so on.

wiibomb

Lance is SO fun, but don't expect no record breaking kill times. Damage is relatively low, but you SHINE on your survivability.

Question - how on earth do I reliably mount a monster? I've been trying to do it with Switch Axe, so I don't have a ground jump ability.

unfortunately for all weapons except Insect glaive and lance you have to rely on the terrain ledges, so it becomes kind of a opportunity when you happen to find the monster near a ledge, then in that moment you can try an aerial attack

wiibomb

Is there any way to buy well done steaks like in 3U and Tri? Really disliked farming wildlife for raw meat.

is in fact the opposite for this game, you have to get out to get some raw meat, but you can mass cook them (10 between each quest by talking to the street cooker)...

personally prefer this since I lost so much time cooking those steaks in MH3U, in this at least I only have to get the carve

ilium

When you're not on a quest, hitting start allows you to rearrange all the tiles at the bottom of the screen. There should be ones for coating management and so on.

speaking of shortcuts, is there a way to "bookmark" certain items within the combo tab? it's pretty annoying to browse the whole list to get to the things i need.

wiibomb

speaking of shortcuts, is there a way to "bookmark" certain items within the combo tab? it's pretty annoying to browse the whole list to get to the things i need.

if you press X while in the combo list area, the possible combos from the items you currently have in your pouch will show first

EDIT: it MIGHT work on the touchscreen too, but I don't really know

Raide

Do we have a googledocs thing for all the new hunters?

Taking a while to adjust to the new format but I am already enjoying it. After 150+ hours in Tri, this feels new because the map layout and encounters are new to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom