• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LProtag

Most people just start grinding on Jaggi for the full Jaggi set. For weapons just try out the free training sets on the Jaggi itself and see what you like.

Er, I'm playing GS for the moment. I meant should I keep trying to upgrade the Bone one or is there a better one for starting out? I noticed if I get two more Jaggi claws I can upgrade my iron one.

ChrisD

A bit early to say for sure, but I was thinking earlier on how every Monster Hunter I've played excels in at least one area.

For gameplay? That's easy, 4 Ultimate is extremely fun to play. Though monster health is lower, and much of the armor lame, the game itself is solid. The vertical movement could still be refined to be just a -bit- faster, and I'm not too keen on how same-y Expeditions all look. But it all comes together rather well, and for the first time in the West, built-in online handheld Monster Hunter!

But speaking of online, I still don't think Tri has been beat. Maybe it's bias, but Tri (not 3 Ultimate!) seemed to be the most eventful online. And one of the most prominent reasons for this, I believe, was Jhen Mohran. He wasn't the most active hunt once you got his attack patterns down, but he was a fun fight, amplified through the fact that most people fought him when his event was around. And don't forget Alatreon! Another event that pulled in a large number of players, by being something that wasn't always available. The exclusivity made it special.

But Jhen Mohran and Alatreon could only go so far. Jhen especially; being the only GRAND Elder Dragon in the game, he was really carrying some heavy weights behind him. Almost unfairly so, considering Freedom Unite was a predecessor.

Freedom Unite excelled in world and sheer grandeur. The Snowy Mountains -- albeit an annoying starting area requiring Hot Drinks to traverse -- were beautiful. You had plains, mountains, and at the top of the mountain, an area to climb even further up. You could stand atop the peak and just... look around. The Secret Area held me for minutes on end when I first ended up in it. It looks so nice.

But the Snowy Mountains isn't the only Area in the game. Because Freedom Unite is home to one of the (THE?) biggest Area selections to choose from, with eleven "Field" Areas, and eleven -more- confined areas.

And what inhabited seven of those confined areas but eight Grand Elder Dragons. Jhen Mohran is awesome. I love fighting Jhen Mohran. But one of my favorite game memories in the past five years is fighting the Lao Shan Lung with my brother, not Jhen Mohran. Let me get this out of the way: Lao Shan's fight is tedious, and once you get past the initial "wow" factor, is rather... well, boring isn't the right word, but it's not leaping-for-joy fun, either. No, the fight isn't what was fun, it was the whole experience. The music, the giant freaking Dragon, MOUNTING the giant freaking Dragon (Before 4!), and it all comes down to an epic, final showdown with it's own epic music!

And that was only one Grand fight! Shen Gaoren, Lao Shan Lung, Akantor, Yama Tsukami, Fatalis of the normal and Crimson variety, Ukanlos, and finally... White Fatalis. Sitting as the finale of finales in the Tower, this was truly an awesome fight. And I say awesome as more than "wow, so cool!" I mean actually awesome.

Those are the Grand fights. But there was actually a number more in normal Elder Dragons to fight. Kirin, Kushala Daora, the Rusted Kushala, Chameleos, Lunastra, and finally, Teostra.

So to really cap it all off: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate has really fun gameplay. Tri had an online mode that made you feel involved. And Freedom Unite had a sprawling world, just waiting to be explored.

Even if Unite's gameplay is actually kind of sucky I still love it for its own merits.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
We've got a free spot for HR2+, if anyone is interested.

26 - 7620 - 0950 - 4197

Durden77

If you're doing quests at the gathering hall, they're the same ones. You have village quests, and guild quests. Village quests are the storyline ones, where you're helping out the caravan and whatnot.
Guild quests are just random quests that you partake in.

Create a Gathering Hall

Choose this option and you'll be able to select where you want to fight, the type of content you want to get stuck into, and the kind of combat experience you're looking for in your fellow hunters.

On world map go to gathering hall. Change status to online status

then pick your options (just 'Any' for everything is fine)

and put a password

press start in the gathering hall and you will see your ID, players need that plus the passcode you made

How to start a multiplayer quest

Once you're in a Gathering Hall, you'll first of all need to talk to the quest-givers over on the left-hand side of the room. Once you've got a mission in hand, the other players need to go over to the noticeboard and select the quest, then move to the door and interact with it to indicate they're ready to depart. The person who picked up the quest can then depart for the quest, taking their buddies along for the ride.

Thanks guys, super helpful. For some reason I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the way this game presents it's quests and other things. This helps a lot. I'll hopefully have a better understanding once I crank up the game again later today.

JimPanzer

It's hard, if not impossible, to get out of a Deviljho pin. You need to carry dung bombs to get him off you from pin.

hm I'm starting to think I'm a bit undergeared for village 10*. Every monster up to this point I killed first try, but now I'm at my fifth on Deviljho -.-

Red or Alive

Neo Member
Quick Circle Pad Pro question: I've read posts on other forums that state ZL and ZR allow for horizontal camera panning.

However, having tried out my new CPP today, they seem to behave identically to the normal L and R triggers. What gives?

hm I'm starting to think I'm a bit undergeared for village 10*. Every monster up to this point I killed first try, but now I'm at my fifth on Deviljho -.-

Jho is a bad measuring stick. Even geared out in endgame armor in Tri, Deviljho can 2-shot you if you take the wrong hits.

Quick Circle Pad Pro question: I've read posts on other forums that state ZL and ZR allow for horizontal camera panning.

However, having tried out my new CPP today, they seem to behave identically to the normal L and R triggers. What gives?

You need to change what they do in the options. I forgot which options they are, but they're there, I promise. Just read all the descriptions.

Love controlling the camera with the shoulder buttons.

Everytime I accept a friend request it tells me to configure notification settings in the friend list but there is no option to do so.

As a result my friends list is still empty despite receiving so many invites.

can someone link to a channel that has weapon guides? i remember in this thread someone posted a channel but i forgot what page it was/the name of the channel

Everytime I accept a friend request it tells me to configure notification settings in the friend list but there is no option to do so.

As a result my friends list is still empty despite receiving so many invites.

This is in your Friend app on your 3ds's homescreen, not in-game.

Trust me, I hate it. Also had to mess with some stuff in the E-shop app before it would let me download the free gift dlc stuff in-game.

MrPanic

Sorry to mrpanic and bane for the repeated dc.
No problem, stuff happens.

We decided to continue that Zam+Lagom quest after you dc'ed, what a mistake that was. Normally Lagombi runs away from that shark but they totally started tag-battling us. We both ran out of potions and even had to emergency cap Lagombi to avoid a cart. How a single dc could turn a low rank mission into hell like that, my body wasn't ready.

Mupod

the dung bomb thing is a must, but he's not as scary as he looks. Try rolling between his legs when he's doing the big thrash attack. Also, check your dragon resist, it can have a dramatic effect on his breath damage.

Ok I just bought this game since playing with the new 3ds is making a huge difference for me. anyway, it came shrinkwrappeD and was sold as new from gamestop. I know Nintendo canceled club Nintendo but what was supposed to come inside the case besides the game and a 3 page booklet for the game?

JimPanzer

the dung bomb thing is a must, but he's not as scary as he looks. Try rolling between his legs when he's doing the big thrash attack. Also, check your dragon resist, it can have a dramatic effect on his breath damage.

I can manage to dodge through the breath, but I'm just not getting any dmg done

edit: he's limping!

stupei

Just wanted to post to say I'm not all that far (just around six hours so far), but the Monster Hunter bug has finally got me. I've picked up the series once or twice in the past but never really got into it. Something about it this time. I don't know what it is exactly, but I'm hooked.

can someone link to a channel that has weapon guides? i remember in this thread someone posted a channel but i forgot what page it was/the name of the channel

Someone else in the thread linked these videos by Arekkz Gaming that I found somewhat useful too.

Ok I just bought this game since playing with the new 3ds is making a huge difference for me. anyway, it came shrinkwrappeD and was sold as new from gamestop. I know Nintendo canceled club Nintendo but what was supposed to come inside the case besides the game and a 3 page booklet for the game?

My copy came with a monster hunter collectable pin. No club nintendo card. :p you might want to go back and ask about the pin. One of those gamestop dudes may have swiped it

Mupod

At what point do high rank expeditions start showing up? I'm guessing I should just keep progressing the main quests?

Also seem to have missed a few monsters in low rank. I'm guessing those advanced quests unlock them? Stuff like Diablos or maybe Garuga.

JimPanzer

At what point do high rank expeditions start showing up? I'm guessing I should just keep progressing the main quests?

Also seem to have missed a few monsters in low rank. I'm guessing those advanced quests unlock them? Stuff like Diablos or maybe Garuga.

they are unlocked through guild quests, HR 4 I believe

deviljho down...that was awful

OK, so... The Level 9 village Deviljho... Dear GOD was that disappointingly easy. It was startlingly slow, and while its damage has been increased (pretty terrifying, I concede), it's... All for moot point when you consider it's no longer utterly relentless. Instead, it's become the Duramboros of this game. I'm kinda disappointed.

I... Do hope I eat my words when I try Savage, though. c:

Scher

Putting up a room for HR3 stuff, if anyone would like to join me. Would personally like to get key quests and urgent done, but I'm pretty much up for anything.

ID: 60-6879-5618-6238
Pass: 2580

Just got the game and never played a MH game before. Question, what are the advantages of being online in this game? Basically I want to know if I can play offline then go online to do multiplayer stuff. Thanks!

I admittedly had every intention of getting this game but browsing this thread, and man, I am lost. I never played a MH game before but I liked the demo. I am just afraid a lot of things will go over my head.

I admittedly had every intention of getting this game but browsing this thread, and man, I am lost. I never played a MH game before but I liked the demo. I am just afraid a lot of things will go over my head.

I feel like this might be the best Monster Hunter game for learning the mechanics. It's also better to get it early while everyone else is also learning and at around the same level.

Mupod

Just got the game and never played a MH game before. Question, what are the advantages of being online in this game? Basically I want to know if I can play offline then go online to do multiplayer stuff. Thanks!

The quests are separated into singleplayer and online. The singleplayer stuff is slightly story-driven and the monsters are balanced for solo play. Stick to that at first while you learn the ropes.

Online uses your same character, and in fact you can solo all that content if you want. But it'll be a bit harder. The quests are a bit different too, and you need to rank up there separately from the solo stuff. A sensible way to play the game would be to solo until you want to create an armor set then join some people online and farm it up.

I've put close to a thousand hours into the series at this point and I still learn new things from time to time. People here love helping so just ask questions.

Kazerei

Banned
Well I just wasted a load of zenny and armor spheres. Right before doing the 6*->7* caravan urgent quest, I bought the High Metal S armor set, thinking it would be a good set to get me through early high rank. It's got decent skills, but its base defense is really pathetic so it needs to be upgraded.

Anyways, after doing the 6*->7* urgent quest, I noticed one of the 7* quests involves is just hunt 2 Velocidrome. So I did that quest a few times and made the Velocidrome S armor set, which is much, much better than the High Metal S armor set.

Basically I barely got any use out of the High Metal S and could have just skipped it. 0/10 would not recommend.

wiibomb

don't be afraid, it's kind of complicated at the begining and you should read a lot of the tutorials in the game, but after you learn them everything makes sense, and also if you don't know about something there are always people here to help you understand what you don't... like me

now go! buy it! :)

TheExodu5

Banned
Just watched Gajinhunter's Charge Blade video. My god...I did not expect it to be such a deep and complex weapon. Maybe I'm better off focusing on something a bit simpler. :eek:

Spot free for HR2 -> HR3 urgent and beyond.

Yep good hunt, see you.

I'll be on again later, if you're on. I just ran out of time that I can spend in this class playing monster hunter hahaha.

I'm waiting till HR till I start making elemental swords, which are a bit better suited for Multiplayer quests. :)

Kane1345

I'm still learning and I've put hundreds of hours into the series. Everyone in the thread is awesome and more than willing to help :)

Peru

Best advice is npt caring thatmuxh about every detail at first. Just get used to the hunts

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be on again later, if you're on. I just ran out of time that I can spend in this class playing monster hunter hahaha.

I'm waiting till HR till I start making elemental swords, which are a bit better suited for Multiplayer quests. :)

I wondered what kind of quiz you had to take back then... you're playing MH in class? Oh boy. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom