• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wondered what kind of quiz you had to take back then... you're playing MH in class? Oh boy. :D

It's a few weeks of training for this work at home job haha. I get to sit at my desk and tell people how to fix their wifi... But this training has a lot of downtime and a lot of time where I can get away with just listening to what's going on. Easy enough for Low Rank stuff haha.

Cerity

Man, it makes me kind of sad how trivial CB makes tigrex. Just did the HR3 one by myself and he wasn't the big scary train that I remember him to be, guess I'll see how the subspecies turn out.

Still awesome landing a super charge on his face and knocking him out though.

Kuren

A bit early to say for sure, but I was thinking earlier on how every Monster Hunter I've played excels in at least one area.

For gameplay? That's easy, 4 Ultimate is extremely fun to play. Though monster health is lower, and much of the armor lame, the game itself is solid. The vertical movement could still be refined to be just a -bit- faster, and I'm not too keen on how same-y Expeditions all look. But it all comes together rather well, and for the first time in the West, built-in online handheld Monster Hunter!

But speaking of online, I still don't think Tri has been beat. Maybe it's bias, but Tri (not 3 Ultimate!) seemed to be the most eventful online. And one of the most prominent reasons for this, I believe, was Jhen Mohran. He wasn't the most active hunt once you got his attack patterns down, but he was a fun fight, amplified through the fact that most people fought him when his event was around. And don't forget Alatreon! Another event that pulled in a large number of players, by being something that wasn't always available. The exclusivity made it special.

But Jhen Mohran and Alatreon could only go so far. Jhen especially; being the only GRAND Elder Dragon in the game, he was really carrying some heavy weights behind him. Almost unfairly so, considering Freedom Unite was a predecessor.

Freedom Unite excelled in world and sheer grandeur. The Snowy Mountains -- albeit an annoying starting area requiring Hot Drinks to traverse -- were beautiful. You had plains, mountains, and at the top of the mountain, an area to climb even further up. You could stand atop the peak and just... look around. The Secret Area held me for minutes on end when I first ended up in it. It looks so nice.

But the Snowy Mountains isn't the only Area in the game. Because Freedom Unite is home to one of the (THE?) biggest Area selections to choose from, with eleven "Field" Areas, and eleven -more- confined areas.

And what inhabited seven of those confined areas but eight Grand Elder Dragons. Jhen Mohran is awesome. I love fighting Jhen Mohran. But one of my favorite game memories in the past five years is fighting the Lao Shan Lung with my brother, not Jhen Mohran. Let me get this out of the way: Lao Shan's fight is tedious, and once you get past the initial "wow" factor, is rather... well, boring isn't the right word, but it's not leaping-for-joy fun, either. No, the fight isn't what was fun, it was the whole experience. The music, the giant freaking Dragon, MOUNTING the giant freaking Dragon (Before 4!), and it all comes down to an epic, final showdown with it's own epic music!

And that was only one Grand fight! Shen Gaoren, Lao Shan Lung, Akantor, Yama Tsukami, Fatalis of the normal and Crimson variety, Ukanlos, and finally... White Fatalis. Sitting as the finale of finales in the Tower, this was truly an awesome fight. And I say awesome as more than "wow, so cool!" I mean actually awesome.

Those are the Grand fights. But there was actually a number more in normal Elder Dragons to fight. Kirin, Kushala Daora, the Rusted Kushala, Chameleos, Lunastra, and finally, Teostra.

So to really cap it all off: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate has really fun gameplay. Tri had an online mode that made you feel involved. And Freedom Unite had a sprawling world, just waiting to be explored.

Even if Unite's gameplay is actually kind of sucky I still love it for its own merits.

I'm going to spoil it for you if you didn't know already.

Akantor, Kirin, Kushala Daora, Teostra/Lunastra, etc etc are all in there. Including quests to fight Daren Mohran, as well as a new monster Dara Amadyura at the end of high rank guild quests. And that's just vanilla MH4...I haven't played much of G rank MH4...so you can only imagine.

Monster Hunter 4G/Ultimate, is easily the best Monster Hunter out of them all.

Man, it makes me kind of sad how trivial CB makes tigrex. Just did the HR3 one by myself and he wasn't the big scary train that I remember him to be, guess I'll see how the subspecies turn out.

Still awesome landing a super charge on his face and knocking him out though.

Isn't there a Tigrex that blows you up with its roars?

PrankT

I admittedly had every intention of getting this game but browsing this thread, and man, I am lost. I never played a MH game before but I liked the demo. I am just afraid a lot of things will go over my head.
It begins to make sense with continued gameplay. This is the first time I've played this series and am enjoying it a lot.

Juraash

Upgraded my Tetsu GS over lunch (among other things). My fashion hunter sense really doesn't like the giant sushi knife look, but it has the highest raw by far our of what I can make atm. I'm so used to crafting elemental stuff as a LS user that going strait raw is a little foreign. Still having fun with the change in play style.

Tonight will probably be a gore run or two so I can at least craft something with the parts I already have.

I just reached 7 star quests in the Village, I've been trying to reach the Monoblos because I need some materials, but I still don't see that quest yet, any idea of when it's unlocked?

After playing this game for about 40 hours I can easily say that this is the best MH to date, it's so well done and I'm in love with this damn game.

For anyone intimidated by Monster Hunter, just know that 3 Ultimate was the first Monster Hunter I really played longer than it took to learn the controls. Going online was really what allowed me to learn the ins and outs of the game, and for the first time I was able to learn about all the stuff Monster Hunter has going on.

And here I am, starting off MH4 hitting the ground running, sleep bombing monsters as early as HR1.

Took down Gore for the first time today. Fun fight but I didn't break enough parts so i'll prbably try it again with my trusty gunlance.

BBboy20

ojJqLOV.jpg

4425-1798-9225

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Any consensus on the weapons yet? I finally received my new XL with MH4, so I'm ready to roll. I was thinking hammer...

Raide

Just opened up Expeditions. I kinda like this way of doing things.

Still, I would love to float around on one of those sand-boats and hunt stuff that way. :D

Now to farm for a new weapon.

Mupod

Any consensus on the weapons yet? I finally received my new XL with MH4, so I'm ready to roll. I was thinking hammer...

GS feels incredibly powerful in this one due to the new follow-up slash, and all the extra openings from mounting. I'm looking forward to getting heavily into bowgunning again since (MEGATON) you can save item loadouts now.

sns master race.

If you do this everyone will love your clutch timing LifePowders and flash bombs.
Unleash the true power of Bushido with Long Sword. Your inner Samurai Spirit beckons...

If you do this everyone will hate your clutch timing friendly fire knock overs.

GS feels incredibly powerful in this one due to the new follow-up slash, and all the extra openings from mounting. I'm looking forward to getting heavily into bowgunning again since (MEGATON) you can save item loadouts now.

Greatest thing ever.

Got the fancy spit for the kitchen doing a village 4 star quest "Troverian Trouble"

You can cook up to 10 Raw Meat. Costs 50 caravan points.

Other greatest thing ever.

Coppanuva

I did Dual Blades and Longsword in 3U, maining SnS and Switchaxe here (just started trying Switch but it's fun). One of those 2 is pretty fun so far.

aka_bueno

sns master race.

Unleash the true power of Bushido with Long Sword. Your inner Samurai Spirit beckons...

let the charge blade swiftness possess you until you kill out of control

Gunlance is best lance.

You guys are awesome lol

But really...

Become a master of momentum and power with the unmatched crushing force of the Hammer. You'll make even mighty Thor tremble in your wake.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

If you wanna be a real hunter you play great sword!

all weapons are good whatever you're most comfortable with is automatically the best weapon

Juraash

As you can tell, the consensus is play what you like. I haven't heard anything overtly negative about any of the weapons, old or new.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Thanks guys. I will be joining the Hammer master race! I hope the monsters sit still as it takes me 32 seconds to swing my mighty hammer into their faces.

R0ckman

I admittedly had every intention of getting this game but browsing this thread, and man, I am lost. I never played a MH game before but I liked the demo. I am just afraid a lot of things will go over my head.

There is something called the Hunters Notes that may help you. To be honest the game needs a bit more hand holding for some things like skills and decorations which even with decorations I think the name is misleading. Basically some equipment has stats that have number values, if you equip enough of the same stats and get their value to 10, or 15 or whatever you can unlock a cool skill. The skills are more important than the armor in some cases, so its best to ignore getting a set and focus on equipment that will let you have a good customization of skills. Decorations help by putting them in equipment slots and help boost the values.

Puru

Stupid question but why does my dodges sometimes result in my character basically falling like a turd (but goes farther i think).

ChrisD

I'm going to spoil it for you if you didn't know already.

Akantor, Kirin, Kushala Daora, Teostra/Lunastra, etc etc are all in there. Including quests to fight Daren Mohran, as well as a new monster Dara Amadyura at the end of high rank guild quests. And that's just vanilla MH4...I haven't played much of G rank MH4...so you can only imagine.

Monster Hunter 4G/Ultimate, is easily the best Monster Hunter out of them all.

I've seen the Monster list, but it's still missing a large chunk of the Grand fights. That is, Shen Gaoren, Lao Shan Lung, and Yama Tsukami. Can you imagine what they could have done with Yama Tsukami or Lao Shan in 4's engine? It would have easily surpassed every other epic fight before it.

Super hyped for Dara just from looking at pictures! I want more of that in the late-late game. More Grand fights that stand out as an event... Though I hear his hitboxes were broken, so that took some wind out of my sails. Still. Excited!

RasanRL

Neo Member
using lance can result in a very agressive playstyle. That's my weapon of choice. But at the end trying and understanding all the weapons is what makes Mh so good.

Stupid question but why does my dodges sometimes result in my character basically falling like a turd (but goes farther i think).

I think I know what you're talking about. If you're fleeing from an enemy unequipped and you dodge, you do this leap face-plant thing.

wiibomb

oh, that's quite useful, it's named the superman around the MH community

basically a normal evasion has about 0.3 seconds of invulnerability, while the superman has more than a second (may be 2?) of invulnerability, that gives you plenty of chance to evade a mortal blow or a very long hit you probably are going to take, so use it when you see yourself in a tight situation.

it works when you evade while running the opposite direction of the monster (the faster running)

the only throwback is that you are vulnerable when you are standing up, so in some cases a monster or another attack may hit you while standing up

daxy

Running and dodging gives you that superman jump, which is especially good if you know you're about to get hit, because it gives you invincibility frames. It also allows you to jump through monsters' roars and as such gives you a half a second to a second to attack sooner.

Regular dodge (without holding R or with a weapon unsheathed) is for regular 'ol dodging.

aka_bueno

Thanks guys. I will be joining the Hammer master race! I hope the monsters sit still as it takes me 32 seconds to swing my mighty hammer into their faces.

That's the impression you get at first, but believe it or not the hammer is probably one of the more mobile weapons. A huge part of it is charging your swing, which you can move while doing so. And the first level of charge for the hammer is a long sweeping forward thrust attack that covers a lot of ground quickly.

Combine that with rolling to cancel during a charge and you can reposition yourself while restarting the swing charging. Also you can roll out of most after-attack recovery animations with the hammer so you don't have to sit through the whole animation. All in all, if done right you're pretty active and mobile the hammer.

Now about the super short range of hammers (other than the long range level 1 charge thrust), yeah I got nothing. Get used to being 3 feet away from a monster or hitting nothing but air :p

Kinsei

Banned
I've seen the Monster list, but it's still missing a large chunk of the Grand fights. That is, Shen Gaoren, Lao Shan Lung, and Yama Tsukami. Can you imagine what they could have done with Yama Tsukami or Lao Shan in 4's engine? It would have easily surpassed every other epic fight before it.

Super hyped for Dara just from looking at pictures! I want more of that in the late-late game. More Grand fights that stand out as an event... Though I hear his hitboxes were broken, so that took some wind out of my sails. Still. Excited!

Good riddance I say. Lao, Shen, Yama, Ceadeus, etc. were all shit IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom