• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiibomb

Good riddance I say. Lao, Shen, Yama, Ceadeus, etc. were all shit IMO.

they were kinda boring, yes, but I always liked to fight them just because of the sake of fighting a giant sized monster..

and well, the MH team has been amazing with MH4U, I'm sure if they would have wanted it, they could have made a pretty awesome fight with those...

co1onel

I've seen the Monster list, but it's still missing a large chunk of the Grand fights. That is, Shen Gaoren, Lao Shan Lung, and Yama Tsukami. Can you imagine what they could have done with Yama Tsukami or Lao Shan in 4's engine? It would have easily surpassed every other epic fight before it.

Super hyped for Dara just from looking at pictures! I want more of that in the late-late game. More Grand fights that stand out as an event... Though I hear his hitboxes were broken, so that took some wind out of my sails. Still. Excited!

These "grand fights" you're referring to are the most boring fights of the whole game. I say the less of them the better. There's nothing to fighting them, they're just giant punching bags.

I kinda miss Yamatsukami, but while I liked Lao in concept the battle was really dull.

They should have added Amatsumagatsuchi to MH4U though. :(

Gibran7

This was probably answered or touch upon already but is this game mostly enjoyed while playing online with friends or can one just enjoy the single player. Don't know anyone with 3ds so debating whether it's worth jumping in.

how do you get monster fluid? Still haven't unlocked another switch blade to craft so I have no other choice but to upgrade the one I got. All I need is monster fluid. also when do you get the 3rd star rank quest? I just finished all the 2 star ones and did the expedition quest.

This was probably answered or touch upon already but is this game mostly enjoyed while playing online with friends or can one just enjoy the single player. Don't know anyone with 3ds so debating whether it's worth jumping in.

for what its worth i have not enjoyed previous games in the series(but do enjoy hunting games like god eater and soul sacrifice) until this one. I've been playing all day by myself mostly, i did like 3 quests with randoms but besides that just been soloing.

Kinsei

Banned

It's still an amazing game in single player. I've put in over 30 hours so far and haven;t touched the multiplayer. You can also do all of the multiplayer quests alone if you don;t have anyone to play with and don't like playing online.

how do you get monster fluid? Still haven't unlocked another switch blade to craft so I have no other choice but to upgrade the one I got. All I need is monster fluid. also when do you get the 3rd star rank quest? I just finished all the 2 star ones and did the expedition quest.

You can get monster fluid from konchuu, altaroth, bnahabra, and as a reward from the Seltas. You unlock the urgent when you do one more expedition.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member

Both are fun and there are more than enough people here you can play with.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
ojJqLOV.jpg

4425-1798-9225

This picture scared the hell out of me when I scrolled past.

for what its worth i have not enjoyed previous games in the series(but do enjoy hunting games like god eater and soul sacrifice) until this one. I've been playing all day by myself mostly, i did like 3 quests with randoms but besides that just been soloing.

Monster fluid I got from those insects that turn into armadillo-like things, ball shaped. Armor spheres too, same bug.

I don't actually know if it is a bug, though.

EDIT: Konchu is the name.

lyrick

The Caravan (offline only) content alone is very good and there's tons of it.

The Guild Quest (offline & online content) is where the meat of the game is, but requires a certain level of badassery to solo all of it.

Jamie OD

All right Tetsucabra, we'll call it a draw. *crawls home*

So far I was able to break its jaw but it KO'ed me twice and I was running low on items. Also missed a lot of attempts to mount it. When the ten minute warning came I knew I couldn't finish it so I fled and ended the subquest. I keep getting the timing of its side stomps wrong but I think once I learn that pattern I can beat it.

Raide

For some reason I was a bit worried about Ketcha Wetcha...or whatever that money thing is :D

Whooped his ass with a bow.

So far I was able to break its jaw but it KO'ed me twice and I was running low on items. Also missed a lot of attempts to mount it. When the ten minute warning came I knew I couldn't finish it so I fled and ended the subquest. I keep getting the timing of its side stomps wrong but I think once I learn that pattern I can beat it.

Which level are you doing it? LR, HR or G?

If in LR, just keep running in circles and attacking the tail, that's what I usually do. Barely got any damage.

EDIT: By level I mean guild quest, caravan quest, etc.

wiibomb

try not to focus on mounting but more on raw damage from you weapon, mounting while fun, does not deplete much health, it depletes more stamina and also takes sometimes much time to finish..

also don't forget to upgrade your weapon so you deal even more damage and your armor to take few hits, if you are fighting tetsu with the first armor they give you in the game I suggest to change it as soon as possible since it's incredibly weak

Ultrabum

I've been grinding S. Magala HR 7 all day, anyone care to join? I need to do it as my urgent quest now, and suddenly everyone is gone :(

ID 24-8378-6417-4893

Got my full Zinogre set and SNS today. Used decorations to get Thunder Attack +2.

Also it seems that the Gloves Off skill is activating even if I don't get hit below 40% HP. I'm not sure what is triggering it but it seems to give me affinity (pretty sure red sparks are critical hits IIRC).

Ultrabum

Got my full Zinogre set and SNS today. Used decorations to get Thunder Attack +2.

Also it seems that the Gloves Off skill is activating even if I don't get hit below 40% HP. I'm not sure what is triggering it but it seems to give me affinity (pretty sure red sparks are critical hits IIRC).

Potential is the 40% health one, I dunno what triggers gloves off though.

Faiz

What is the general opinion of healing songs on hunting horns? Handy to keep the team in fighting shape, or time better spent on more offensive boosts?

Offensive boosts take priority obviously but if they don't need to be refreshed no reason not to throw in some heals. Preferably while doing damage yourself, of course.

la_briola

I wanna do some food quests.

Meat:

Advanced: Purge and Binge: Hunt a Tetsucabra and a Zamtrios (3-star Gathering Hall)
Apes of Wrath: Hunt a Kecha Wacha and an Emerald Congalala (4-star Gathering Hall quest)

Fish:

Hunter's Heaven: Hunt a Tigrex and a Zinogre (3-star Gathering Hall quest)

Drink:

Splendid Sootstone: Deliver 4 Sootstone ores (4-star Gathering Hall quest)
Pyres Beware: Hunt a Rathian and Rathalos (5-star Gathering Hall quest)

Anyone? :)

Gonna be back in ~10min.

Kinsei

Banned
Wouldn't that be Spirit? I've read that Gloves Off activates when you take enough damage in a short window.

You're right, I got it mixed up with challenger. Anyways, the reason it activated for him without taking damage is because it will activate on its own after fighting a monster for 5 minutes.

NewGame

Banned

Gloves off is trigged by either

1. Taking a certain amount of damage
2. At least 5 (6? 7?) minutes has past with the monster being in the same room as you.

This skill is less useful in multiplayer hunts or in monsters that leave the area, but if you can stack it with the armor skill potential you can get some huge gains. This skill is really useful if you're doing an arena quest where the monster is always with you and it is especially good if you're in a room with two monsters at once.

I can't remember exactly but I think I was told that heat damage (from not using a cool drink) will trigger the skill even faster.

Oh and the skill is really only useful at +2, don't bother with +1.

And critical hits are pink sparks.

Here's all the hit catagories I can recall: (I play with animations turned to low, makes it clearer because it has less blood effects)

animation differences:
- Large, long yellow streak = mountable strike
- Yellow spark = normal damage
- Big yellow spark = weak spot damage
- Yellow sphere shaped flurry of sparks = head KO damage
- Tiny specks of yellow = bounce or resistant spot (bad, avoid)

types:
- Blue plume of smoke = sleep damage
- Purple plume of smoke = poison damage
- Yellow electricity = paralyze damage
- Blue electricity = thunder damage
- Water splash = Le water damage
- Fire plume = Le fire damage
- Dark red lighting = Dragon damage
- White/blue crystals = Ice damage

With blast damage it seems to be a plume of yellow/white which then becomes dark red before exploding. It's weird, nothing like in MH3U.

georly

Is there a magic trick to have it know that i'm on a new 3DS and that i don't have to re-enable circle pad pro every time i play?

Valus

Got the fancy spit for the kitchen doing a village 4 star quest "Troverian Trouble"

You can cook up to 10 Raw Meat. Costs 50 caravan points.

There's another villager request you can get that let's the cat cook an additional 5 meats, so a total of 15. Best thing is that the extra meat it cooks doesn't take away from your total. So you spend ten raw, get 15 cooked.

Just fought S Magala in the story. Is there a way to fight him again?

You can find the quest under 6* quests.

kama

Room closed, a lot of fun was had and unity is growing!
Tomorrow HR3 goodness. Thank you fellow hunters.

Yeah, it was a blast. After years of solo hunting I'm enjoying the multiplayer in mh4 so much. The hunts with randoms have been good in the past few days, but coordinated with fellow gaffers is just pure fun. MH4U = GOTY 2015? Most likely.

Shengar

Oh, I guess I got it wrong then.

That might be it. I was running around whenever it happened but I wasn't paying attention to whether the monster I was fighting was going into rage mode or not.
I think I mixed it up with another skill, sorry for that.
Though it's indeed activate when you take certain damage treshold in certain time.

wiibomb

Just fought S Magala in the story. Is there a way to fight him again?

you can chose the same mission after you finish it..

I think its rotative too, so it might disappear one one time and appear another after one quest

Is there a magic trick to have it know that i'm on a new 3DS and that i don't have to re-enable circle pad pro every time i play?

wait.... does that happen on the N3DS too???

Meat:

Advanced: Purge and Binge: Hunt a Tetsucabra and a Zamtrios (3-star Gathering Hall)
Apes of Wrath: Hunt a Kecha Wacha and an Emerald Congalala (4-star Gathering Hall quest)

Fish:

Drink:

Gonna be back in ~10min.

Still down for this?

Meat:

Fish:

Drink:

Gonna be back in ~10min.

Wanna do the drink ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom