• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Offensive boosts take priority obviously but if they don't need to be refreshed no reason not to throw in some heals. Preferably while doing damage yourself, of course.

Are there horns with both Attack Boost and healing? I thought they were mutually exclusive, kinda like Attack Boost and Stamina Negation.

Busaiku

Did they make Great Jaggi easier?
I know it's always a joke, but it seems like it goes down even quicker now.
It might be Insect Glaive though, cause I usually used Long Sword/Dual Blades before.

Shengar

Putting up a room for HR3 stuff, if anyone would like to join me. Would personally like to get key quests and urgent done, but I'm pretty much up for anything.

ID: 60-6879-5618-6238
Pass: 2580
Welp, my internet trying to be funny again .__.

I'm trying to upgrade my gunlance from Shagaru but each time I've cut its tail off it keeps giving me scales. I need tails dammit.
Also I made the lobster armour. I have no idea how practically it is but I'm a lobster and its pink.

I haven't really touched guild quests outside of getting to HR2. The only way I can play online on my 3DS currently is through a 3G hotspot so eh.

yeah you are right:

latent power + 1 (gloves off +10)
After fighting a boss monster for 5 minutes, or taking 180+ damage, grants +30% Affinity and 50% less Stamina consumption for 90 seconds.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH4U:_Armor_Skill_List

Gloves off is trigged by either

1. Taking a certain amount of damage
2. At least 5 (6? 7?) minutes has past with the monster being in the same room as you.

This skill is less useful in multiplayer hunts or in monsters that leave the area, but if you can stack it with the armor skill potential you can get some huge gains. This skill is really useful if you're doing an arena quest where the monster is always with you and it is especially good if you're in a room with two monsters at once.

I can't remember exactly but I think I was told that heat damage (from not using a cool drink) will trigger the skill even faster.

Oh and the skill is really only useful at +2, don't bother with +1.

And critical hits are pink sparks.

Here's all the hit catagories I can recall: (I play with animations turned to low, makes it clearer because it has less blood effects)

animation differences:
- Large, long yellow streak = mountable strike
- Yellow spark = normal damage
- Big yellow spark = weak spot damage
- Yellow sphere shaped flurry of sparks = head KO damage
- Tiny specks of yellow = bounce or resistant spot (bad, avoid)

types:
- Blue plume of smoke = sleep damage
- Purple plume of smoke = poison damage
- Yellow electricity = paralyze damage
- Blue electricity = thunder damage
- Water splash = Le water damage
- Fire plume = Le fire damage
- Dark red lighting = Dragon damage
- White/blue crystals = Ice damage

With blast damage it seems to be a plume of yellow/white which then becomes dark red before exploding. It's weird, nothing like in MH3U.

I think I mixed it up with another skill, sorry for that.
Though it's indeed activate when you take certain damage treshold in certain time.

Thanks for all the info. It's better than what I was expecting. I'm killing things a lot faster with this set so hopefully it'll carry me to high rank.

Kensuke

Anyone here gotten to Fatalis? I believe the recipe for the glaive might be incorrect. You require the following materials to make the glaive: Fatalis Horn 4, Elder Dragon Bone 5, Novacrystal 8.

I have all those, but it's not appearing. I can make many of the other Fatalis weapons, but not the glaive. Anyone got any clue?

ChrisD

What does weapon bias mean in the quest screen? If I use that particular class of weapon I get extra prizes?

That was my initial thought as well, but it actually tells you what are the most likely to get from Battered Weapons. Below that where it says like "Tri Series," that means Battered Armor will give you armor from Tri monsters (in the piece said, ie, Head, Chest, etc.).

PusherT

That was my initial thought as well, but it actually tells you what are the most likely to get from Battered Weapons. Below that where it says like "Tri Series," that means Battered Armor will give you armor from Tri monsters (in the piece said, ie, Head, Chest, etc.).

thanks for headsup

Quadraxis

Just fought the Seltas Queen. That was the most intense battle yet, especially when combined with the normal Seltas. Those combo attacks are devastating. Really nice monster design again though. Can't wait to see more new monsters after i hunt the Zinogre and the Rathalos(i played tri ;) )

I kinda like how SnS and Lance have a much easier time initiating jump moves compared to the other older weapon classes. I have a new level of fondness those weapons now.

Oh yeah? How is it easier for them?

You can do jump during the Lance rushing attack which counts as a mounting attack, and doing SnS X+A attack onto a short elevated ledge can make you do a jumping attack flawlessly. All the other weapons other than that the glaive require you to be above the monster and do a falling attack but those 2 weapons don't.

Raide

Ah, first time. I'm grinding him now to get materials for the Tetsucabra armor and the Twin Chainsaws. Definitely feels like a grind. Not sure what else to do though...

Thankfully I am not grinding yet but I know its there. Mainly getting better weapons and then it makes me down them a bit quicker, which help with getting new armour sets.

I am currently 50/50 on the new vertical gameplay. Tracking monsters is so much harder when they are bouncing all over the place. Its great when a zone gives you options to escape quickly but I have only done the mount thing once or twice so far. Funny to do it with the bow but I expected a Legolas style arrow shot into the skull to down it. :D

thefil

You can do jump during the Lance rushing attack which counts as a mounting attack, and doing SnS X+A attack onto a short elevated ledge can make you do a jumping attack flawlessly. All the other weapons other than that the glaive require you to be above the monster and do a falling attack but those 2 weapons don't.

Cool, good to know.

Cool, good to know.

Just so you know, if you roll off any short elevated ledge, every weapon can do what he said for SnS. Rolling off a ledge makes you do a jump of a decent height, and attacking with X during it is a jump attack.

And Insect Glaive can literally pole vault onto a monster on its own.

Prototype

Just fought the Seltas Queen. That was the most intense battle yet, especially when combined with the normal Seltas. Those combo attacks are devastating. Really nice monster design again though. Can't wait to see more new monsters after i hunt the Zinogre and the Rathalos(i played tri ;) )
Seltas Queen was badass. Would like to see more creative monsters like that.

thefil

Just so you know, if you roll off any short elevated ledge, every weapon can do what he said for SnS. Rolling off a ledge makes you do a jump of a decent height, and attacking with X during it is a jump attack.

Sprinting off a ledge will also make you jump.

Leiru

so nerscylla, on kiranico, has two damage charts, one where its weaker to fire and the other its thunder. is this a mistake or is it something like alatreon's weakness change?

Seil

SnS X+A works UP small ledges, too though.

So I can mount monsters fairly regularly but once on there I've completely forgotten what I'm supposed to do (as in what button to press). I noticed if the monster is fatigued its less likely to knock me off but it could also just be a coincidence.

Yeah the difference between SnS and other weapons is that the SnS can mount going up. Any ledge, anywhere, is a mounting point. You don't have to be above, you can be below, or even on the same level as a monster (talking off those tiny little ledges that just poke out of the ground) and MOUNT UP!

I'm embarrassed at how long it took me to figure out how to unlock the 5* urgent quest. I just needed to speak to the elder on the island. :\

So I can mount monsters fairly regularly but once on there I've completely forgotten what I'm supposed to do (as in what button to press). I noticed if the monster is fatigued its less likely to knock me off but it could also just be a coincidence.

X = attack
R = hang on

When the monster head icon on the bar is green, then attack! If it's orange or red, don't attack and only hold on. Your goal is to get the blue bar to the end before the monster head icon does.

Pro tip: You can hold R the entire time and only mash X when the monster head is green.

X = attack
R = hang on

When the monster head icon on the bar is green, then attack! If it's orange or red, don't attack and only hold on. Your goal is to get the blue bar to the end before the monster head icon does.

Pro tip: You can hold R the entire time and only mash X when the monster head is green.
As in hold R while mashing X is possible? :eek:

X = attack
R = hang on

Ah R is the part I was forgetting - thanks :D

LProtag

I just got the Chieftain's GS and I have the Jaggi set. Just hit the 3rd level of quests...

Where to now? Do I need a new armor set?

I played way too long today, this game is seriously addicting. Not sure why I didn't get into Monster Hunter earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom