• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

upandaway

How early on should I bother farming charms? I'm in high rank and don't really feel like I need them just yet but perhaps that will change soon.
I'd say farm here and there whenever you've got 5 minutes somewhere without enough attention to give to a normal quest. That should be enough to give you some useable charms (and hopefully a nice Charmer charm). In G2 you get the de facto charm farming quests, which are what everyone uses.

If you happen upon a nice Charmer charm you can make a Charmer+Gathering set for farming, the earlier you do that the better. Around G3 you'll be able to make a set with both Charmer and Gathering at +3, but it's fine to farm at G2 even without that.

I'd say farm here and there whenever you've got 5 minutes somewhere without enough attention to give to a normal quest. That should be enough to give you some useable charms (and hopefully a nice Charmer charm). In G2 you get the de facto charm farming quests, which are what everyone uses.

If you happen upon a nice Charmer charm you can make a Charmer+Gathering set for farming, the earlier you do that the better. Around G3 you'll be able to make a set with both Charmer and Gathering at +3, but it's fine to farm at G2 even without that.

I didn't even know charmer was a thing, that's really cool.

Unrelated, is Gloves Off good? It seems like it would be a really nice luxury skill but I'm not sure.

tuffy

I didn't even know charmer was a thing, that's really cool.

Unrelated, is Gloves Off good? It seems like it would be a really nice luxury skill but I'm not sure.
Latent Power (activated by Gloves Off) is the worst of the glowy arm skills. As I recall, it offers a big affinity boost and cuts stamina usage by a lot after fighting for a few minutes or taking a certain amount of damage. That means it often kicks in too late to be of much use.

It's not bad to have if it comes with a set, but it's not worth going for specifically.

Shengar

IIRC Latent Power affinity bonus is much bigger than Challenger so it goes really well with weapon that have negative affinity.

tuffy

That's actually a pretty clever idea. However, is it really practical or worthwhile?
In my experience, the blue flash kicks in just as the monster starts flying off to some other room halfway across the map - or a few seconds before it dies. Its power is a little too latent for my liking and doesn't last nearly long enough. But it might be fun to try to make some use of it at least.

Kater

Banned
Thank you both! Right now I'm doing a second playthrough with my sister (who also fell in love with the game btw). I've also been playing through 3U (which I bought after falling in love with 4U) with a friend. Fun times there too, though I prefer 4u and its, uh, not-water fights.

I do hope to do some hunts here sometime. Got a G1 character still in high-rank (Rath Soul) armor, and I've been trying to farm Yian Garuda for its g-rank armor to help me out a bit and got nowhere with that...
Garuga is fun plus I'll need some parts from him anyway. Just post here when you wanna do a hunt. :)

DooD1234

If I remember right load up is key for his bow. After that I think focus is another good skill if you can fit it on your armor.

Load up, focus, and normal up are basically requirements. After that you can use whatever you want. Some people like to put in ruthlessness, while others prefer some evasion skills.

The kushala set is easy set to make, and has focus, evasion and a few points towards load up. Just use your charm and gem in normal up and load up.
Thanks.

How would I go about farming a monster in multiplayer without a gathering hall quest being available for that monster? Specifically Monoblos.

tuffy

How would I go about farming a monster in multiplayer without a gathering hall quest being available for that monster? Specifically Monoblos.
The Monobloses are single-player only. There's no Gathering Hall quest, no Guild Quest, no Event Quest, no nothing. Seems that's the way they've always been in previous games, too.

Anything decent for chargeblade at highrank, honestly. Preferably something that doesn't look like some awful anime girl soldier uniform
crying, man

LOL! Sorry, it's just a funny thing to read. Uh, what HR are you? If you're already at 7 (or G1) then there's no reason to look at High rank armor anymore.

upandaway

Anything decent for chargeblade at highrank, honestly. Preferably something that doesn't look like some awful anime girl soldier uniform
crying, man
In your position if I remember right, this is what I made:

EX Rathian Helm
Kushala Cista
EX Rathian Braces
EX Rathian Faulds
EX Rathian Greaves

Which gave me Rec Level and Handicraft, no negatives and with 7 slots. It was a pretty nice Sharpness+1 set, ended up using it up to mid-G2. Farming Accolades could be a bit annoying I guess.

In your position if I remember right, this is what I made:

EX Rathian Helm
Kushala Cista
EX Rathian Braces
EX Rathian Faulds
EX Rathian Greaves

Which gave me Rec Level and Handicraft, no negatives and with 7 slots. It was a pretty nice Sharpness+1 set, ended up using it up to mid-G2. Farming Accolades could be a bit annoying I guess.

I'll look in to this, thanks!

co1onel

How early on should I bother farming charms? I'm in high rank and don't really feel like I need them just yet but perhaps that will change soon.

You don't really ever need to farm charms, it's just a matter of whether you want to. I got plenty of great charms just by doing normal quests.

co1onel

I suppose Mind's Eye doesn't stack with Steady Hand either then.

Is Stamina Thief a good skill?

The combined skills will negate any skill that it already has.

Stamina thief is a waste of skill points. It'll make it take a couple less hits to exhaust the monster.

upandaway

The combined skills will negate any skill that it already has.

Stamina thief is a waste of skill points. It'll make it take a couple less hits to exhaust the monster.
Exhaust? what's that?

I haven't seen a monster get exhausted in so long. Why are they so angry

Make a room and we could see how far we can go.

-Alternis

Will do. just finishing up this Gravios. I need 2 more HR3 quests I think.

**Alrighty...

34-5015-7977-1951
Pass: 8888

Anyone's welcome if you're at or above my HR, just gonna make these short and quick and relax

Wolfe

Fucking disconnects :(, sorry Sam, gonna go eat something before getting ready for work. Only really had time for a handful of hunts and I guess I'm not really playing well enough right now for that lol.

GL with the runs (eww).

Fucking disconnects :(, sorry Sam, gonna go eat something before getting ready for work. Only really had time for a handful of hunts and I guess I'm not really playing well enough right now for that lol.

GL with the runs (eww).

No problem thank you! I got a good charm (Fury 2, Crit Elem 5, 1 Slot) and a decent bow.

Did you manage to finish that run? It was ready to cap.

Elija2

Any good skills for a Charge Blade user that I can gem in with 3 ooo slots? I currently just have Attack Up (M) but I feel like Earplugs would be better.

Kater

Banned
I still need to figure out what armour set with what skills would work best with Gunlances but so far I'm liking that class of weapon.

Best Gunlance (G-Rank) seems to be Nether Jugulus, right? Not including the Relic weapons, of course. :p

Any good skills for a Charge Blade user that I can gem in with 3 ooo slots? I currently just have Attack Up (M) but I feel like Earplugs would be better.
I normally use the shield instead or just roll through the roar (Evasion + skill).

You could also take Disposable Earplugs with you, they act as HG earplugs and protect you from one big roar each.

As for some other skill, I'd get the Artillery Expert skill if you still have space.

Top Bottom