• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

co1onel

So, when are people looking at starting the 'start from the beginning and do everything' journey?

Never. Once through a 1000 hour long game is more than enough for me. I have 800 hours on my current character and there's still more stuff for me to do.

Tzmhero

Pretty soon actually! Just need to work out some logistical details.

Well, we need to hash out an official start time, a roster, and a rough idea of when to play.

I see what you mean. I guess it comes down to availability. Like... I'm able to play any time pretty much after 4 pm pacific time, maybe later on the weekends. My work schedule is in constant flux so it's hard to set an exact time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/31ceco/offlinesolo_rare_10_relic_farming_guide/

After 2 hours of doing this, I have only found 1 beshackled armor and 2 beshackled weapons. It's VERY hard to mine a beshackled, damn.

One of the weapons I got was a decent Durambarrel Rare 10. It has Prudence +5, Rapid Water/Poison/Slice and can shoot Crag 1/2, Clust 1, Para 1/2 and Slp 1. Damn! I can use this against monsters weak to water. :)

I don't have any other Rare 10 beshackled so I can't compare, but I'm quite happy with it.

tuffy

Maybe it would be better if I went for Challenger?
Challenger +2 is the biggest single attack boost in the game. When the monster's enraged it's the equivalent of Attack Up (XL) and Critical Eye +3. Definitely worth it if you can fit it in.

spiritfox

Challenger +2 is the biggest single attack boost in the game. When the monster's enraged it's the equivalent of Attack Up (XL) and Critical Eye +3. Definitely worth it if you can fit it in.

Challenger does not stack with Peak Performance right? If you have both what will activate?

Elija2

I think I can fit it in. Will probably have to get rid of Gloves Off, but as you said earlier it's probably not that useful anyway. I might as well use a different talisman too since the only other skill my current one has is Rec Speed +11 and it doesn't seem to be useful at all.

tuffy

Challenger does not stack with Peak Performance right? If you have both what will activate?
They can both be active on a set, but don't stack. Challenger overrides Peak Performance, and Challenger/Peak Performance overrides Latent Power.

The glowy arm skills do stack with everything else, though.

Unfortunately not lol, I was at half health when I disconnected so the next hit took me out.

Getting disconnected sucks. I once was stubborn enough to fight a G Rathalos with a Bow at Heaven's Mount when everyone dc'd 2 minutes in. Needless to say, it took 45 minutes to kill. Didn't help that I was messing with the Crystal Lode bow, so I wasn't used to it.

It also didn't help that I never solo'd one with a Bow at all.

Greddleok

HR7! Now I'm in the big leagues. Still got to kill 121089621 more S.Zinogres to finish up my weapon/set.

Struggling with the bow. Online I'm doing great. I feel like I'm pumping out tons of damage, but alone, there's no room for mistakes. The armor has so little defence, one hit and I'm down to 2/3rds HP, putting me on the defensive and making the hunt last forever.
Any tips?

jorgejjvr

That's incredibly useful. A quick glance makes me think lightning and ice should cover 90%.

Do monsters have resistances?
Generally you just don't want to use the same Element against the monster who uses it. Don't use lightning against a zinogre, or ice against Kushala Daora, etc.

I believe they have resistances, and using the wrong element might multiply your damage to where you're doing less.

-Alternis

spiritfox

A part will take a percentage element damage based on its hitzone values. A Kushala Daora, for example, takes 35% Dragon, but 0% Ice in its head. Not exactly sure about the exact calculations, but it's a percentage of the element raw displayed on the weapon. Bowgun element shots are slightly different, basing off the display true raw of the gun.

It's a bit confusing so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the gist of it.

MonHun goal for today is this set:
Diablos Helm
Diablos Mail
Gravios Vambraces S
Chrome Metal Coil (or anything with Torso Inc)
Storge Greaves
2x Sheath Jewel 2
2x Draw Jewel 1
2 slots spare

Which gives me...
Sharpness +1
Quick Sheath
Crit Draw
and...
+5 Tremor Res
+4 Guard

There are a couple other spreadsheets in that thread which are slightly different, too. Pretty cool.
Doing this online or solo?

I think I hit my initial burnout period in MH4U.

Taking a big break from it but Ill be back. Feels good to be G ranked though (G2) since it's been many years since I hit G in MHFU.

tuffy

Looks like MHX won't have Frenzy/Apex monsters, which isn't too surprising since they're heavily tied to MH4's storyline. Guild Quests won't be coming back either, which is a little more surprising. And underwater battles are out too, which is not at all surprising since it's based so heavily on MH4's engine.

Shengar

Looks like MHX won't have Frenzy/Apex monsters, which isn't too surprising since they're heavily tied to MH4's storyline. Guild Quests won't be coming back either, which is a little more surprising. And underwater battles are out too, which is not at all surprising since it's based so heavily on MH4's engine.

No Apex Nargacuga no buy

Sad to see the Guild Quests go. Expeditions and GQs are so much fun.

Who's down to hunt?

-Alternis

Edit: Normal Fish, do you wish to continue where we left off yesterday?

Trying to finish up this set, first.

Need a couple Gravios Carapaces and an S.Magala plate. Dunno if I can get the latter in multi.

**oh, and a couple more Monster Hardbones

Might actually change up the set a bit to not have to grind the plate. Dunno if that's worth my time.

You can carve Shaggy Plates from the high rank one in the 7 star Gathering Hall quest in multiplayer, and the quest rewards odds aren't bad either.

hm Maybe that's the way to go, then. guess I'll get there first.

I'll make a room for anyone who's feeling like smashing through some high rank quests. Will edit with the dets.

16-5958-6124-3176
Pass: 8888

Tom_Cody

I'm mostly ok with all of this.

I never played 3rd gen, but underwater battles never seemed appealing to me and I loved the vertacality of MH4/U that served as a spiritual replacement. And, as you said, I don't think we can be surprised about this given that X is still squarely 4th gen.

I have mixed feelings about Guild Quests. They definitely serve a purpose, which is to have higher-than-G variations of the monsters that can relatively stand up to end-game equipment, but they also kind of feel like mere busy work at the end of the game. It feels good to craft custom sets to tackle specific level 140 monsters, but overall the time I have spent with Guild Quests has felt somewhat unfulfilling. To me it felt like the real game ended at the end of G3, and Guild Quests exist just to provide busy work for those who want to keep soldiering on.

Frenzy always felt undercooked to me. I can scarcely think of when it mattered that I was dealing with frenzied versus unfrenzied monsters. I enjoyed playing through the Gore/Shageru Magala campaign, but it didn't add that much to the gameplay. If monsters were more buffed by the virus or if you were more debuffed by the virus it could have mattered, but as it is it didn't really make an impact on me.

I never enjoyed Apex. Similar to my opinion on Guild Quests, it's nice to have some added variety at the end of the game, but I have never found dealing with Apex monsters to be too interesting or fun.

Jeff you good?

**alternis has a something to do, if anyone would like to join me (and jeff if he comes back), the info's above.

currently at the end of HR5, going to do a couple gravios.

Thanks so much to Alternis and Jeff for the help. That definitely would've been less enjoyable solo.

Think I may have found a way to use torso up instead of the shaggy piece to save myself a headache and get the set a bit earlier.
R2323vi.jpg

**With a better charm I might be able to get something else, too.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I gemmed for Rodeo God, I have a +6 Mounting oo- talisman, and it is amazing. Every other jump attack leads to a mount and those that don't knock monsters on their asses. I love it so much guys, locking it behind G-rank makes total sense now. It makes fights so much easier.

upandaway

So I gemmed for Rodeo God, I have a +6 Mounting oo- talisman, and it is amazing. Every other jump attack leads to a mount and those that don't knock monsters on their asses. I love it so much guys, locking it behind G-rank makes total sense now. It makes fights so much easier.
Is it locked behind G rank? I'm pretty sure I got more than one +10 Mounting charm in HR

Top Bottom