• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Kater

Banned
Chameleos Hunt

46-6348-6253-2598

2 more hunters can join.

(We'll probably do other stuff afterwards, but first would be Chameleos)

Wolfe

Nothing in particular just a turns room that I re-purposed into an OK room after opening it up to randoms.

Not having a lot of luck with it now though lol.

jorgejjvr

So I gemmed for Rodeo God, I have a +6 Mounting oo- talisman, and it is amazing. Every other jump attack leads to a mount and those that don't knock monsters on their asses. I love it so much guys, locking it behind G-rank makes total sense now. It makes fights so much easier.

*cough* Star Knight comes with Rodeo God by default *cough* and Steady Hand and Challenger +2 *cough* and it's super easy to get Sharpness +1 >.>

ANYWAY, I'm able to join rooms now, what're you guys up to? I want to participate in some hunts.

-Alternis

*cough* Star Knight comes with Rodeo God by default *cough* and Steady Hand and Challenger +2 *cough* and it's super easy to get Sharpness +1 >.>

ANYWAY, I'm able to join rooms now, what're you guys up to? I want to participate in some hunts.

-Alternis

Alright randoms aren't working, got another room up if anyone wants to run something.

67-2850-6529-4131
Join the room, friend!

Kater

Banned
We just had two people in the room, was anyone of them one of you here?

That left us with 1 spots open again.

46-6348-6253-2598

Doing random hunts in the Elder Hall.

edit

Full again

Wolfe

Someone else want to make a room? See if it's my connection that's causing issue.

Edit: Alt, the thing about Star Knight I was talking about directly related to the visual design. It doesn't really mesh well with typical MH design to me (which is true of most DLC exclusive armor granted) even though it's clearly designed to look like an "armor" and not just DLC gear such as Metroid or Uniqlo. The thing I mentioned about it making me think of the circus is simply the look of it, the gold and shinyness combined with the almost regal look with large oversized spikes and the cape, I imagine if there was a circus in the world of MH the ring leader would be wearing this armor.

Don't get me wrong the armor is still amazing for the skills/slots it gives you and it's not as though I won't make it. This is just me being visually nit picky :)

Teostra, Shagaru Magala, Kushala Daora, Chameleos, Apex Deviljho, Apex Seregios, Apex Diablos, Apex Zinogre, Stygian Zinogre, Apex Tigrex, Oroshi Kirin, Black Diablos, Brachydios

If it’s a single monster quest and the monster is not on this list, or if it’s a two monster quest and both monsters are not on this list, you will not get beshackled items in your guild quest rewards at all.
WHAT THE FUCK

So my Gore 140 GQ is USELESS! jskdfhksdjfhsdfj

You guys want to share some GQ with me please? Like 2x Rajang and shit?

I wouldn't say that, lot's of misinformation around about GQ.

Now I'm not saying it's wrong but it didn't mention Rajang in that quote.

Either way use this to look up relic models: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...GIZuX0b-_tyy7_TIe8Wv8jkfZE/edit#gid=560953449
That was a mistake, he forgot to add Rajang. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/762804-monster-hunter-4-ultimate/71733152/819782195

And thanks, I have been using that link. I can mine beshackled from the Gore quest, but I can't get beshackled from the reward screen. :(

Do you have any good Lance or Bow GQ?

co1onel

WHAT THE FUCK

So my Gore 140 GQ is USELESS! jskdfhksdjfhsdfj

You guys want to share some GQ with me please? Like 2x Rajang and shit?

I don't know where you got that information, but it's flat out wrong. Every monster can drop beshackled. IIRC, gore has a 25% chance of dropping beshackled weapons at lv136

What weapon bias are you looking for?

I don't know where you got that information, but it's flat out wrong. Every monster can drop beshackled. IIRC, gore has a 25% chance of dropping beshackled weapons at lv136

What weapon bias are you looking for?
Two different sources:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/762804-monster-hunter-4-ultimate/71733152
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/762804-monster-hunter-4-ultimate/71585767

Both say you can't get beshackled from the reward screen, unless it's a double quest with a monster that drop beshackled, like say, Gore + Rajang/Jho/Diablos...

And I'm looking for Lance and Bow, thanks! :)

co1onel

Two different sources:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/762804-monster-hunter-4-ultimate/71733152
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/762804-monster-hunter-4-ultimate/71585767

Both say you can't get beshackled from the reward screen, unless it's a double quest with a monster that drop beshackled, like say, Gore + Rajang/Jho/Diablos...

And I'm looking for Lance and Bow, thanks! :)

It's confusing, but you can get beshackled from the rewards screen from gore. When those sources say you can't get any beschackled, they are referring to the quest rewards. There are quest rewards and monster rewards. Every monster can get beshackled from the monster rewards. In general though, gore isn't the best monster for farming for beshackled.

If you want to join my lobby, I've got multiple lance and bow quests I can give you:
60-5591-4651-8326
PW: 8888

Kater

Banned
Playing with you guys here instead of only people I got on Skype made me realize just how bad the in-game chat is. :D

46-6348-6253-2598

One slot left.

It's confusing, but you can get beshackled from the rewards screen from gore. When those sources say you can't get any beschackled, they are referring to the quest rewards. There are quest rewards and monster rewards. Every monster can get beshackled from the monster rewards. In general though, gore isn't the best monster for farming for beshackled.

If you want to join my lobby, I've got multiple lance and bow quests I can give you:
60-5591-4651-8326
PW: 8888

Hmm, I'll read more carefully about monster and quest rewards. And thanks for all those awesome GQs!

EDIT:

tumblr_mkeykfaxyD1qb4dauo1_540.jpg

Indeed, a solo Gore GQ can drop beshackled relics in the base reward row (row 1), but not in the guild quest row (row 2, 3, 4).

Thanks for clarifying that!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Welp started playing this today. I'm officially a monster hunter. I think. So far I just murdered a family of friendly looking dinosaurs and turned their flesh into delicious steaks and then gathered some herbs and junk to make a potion. I'm doing all the weapon training quests to try and find a weapon that I like. A lot of them have felt really clunky so far but I think that might just be this game's pace. I'm coming directly from Dark Souls 1/2 which by and large have some pretty clunky combat, but even those feel like Bayonetta compared to this game.

Oh well, I'll not be discouraged. Gonna keep trying until one of these weapons click. For some reason the idea of using ranged combat is really appealing to me in this game, but it doesn't seem very forgiving to a new player playing single player.

tuffy

Oh well, I'll not be discouraged. Gonna keep trying until one of these weapons click. For some reason the idea of using ranged combat is really appealing to me in this game, but it doesn't seem very forgiving to a new player playing single player.
Bowgunning "clicked" for me right from the start and I still default to it thousands of hunts later. You'll never be able to take a lot of hits, but fighting from range means many attacks will rarely hit you (like monster spins) while many others will be easier to dodge because you have so much more room to see them coming.

It's a different style from up-close blademaster play, but totally viable in single player if you enjoy it.

jorgejjvr

Welp started playing this today. I'm officially a monster hunter. I think. So far I just murdered a family of friendly looking dinosaurs and turned their flesh into delicious steaks and then gathered some herbs and junk to make a potion. I'm doing all the weapon training quests to try and find a weapon that I like. A lot of them have felt really clunky so far but I think that might just be this game's pace. I'm coming directly from Dark Souls 1/2 which by and large have some pretty clunky combat, but even those feel like Bayonetta compared to this game.

Personally, the combat never seems clunky with any weapon, they each have their own fluid comboes, you just need to find out how to put them together. That said, the weapon would have to click first. My first weapon that clicked was the charge blade, I mean yeah you need to hold some buttons down and press some buttons in a certain order to charge the shield and unleash burst, but I love how the combat felt like everything I did, my character did. Then I met the insect glaive and its incredibly fast speed with and the idea of sending my bug in and out really clicked with me and I've been on it forever. You'll find a weapon you prefer eventually, and there is nothing wrong with ranged weapons, they're just as viable as close range ones. Trust me, have faith in yourself, the game, and us (Should you decide to call on us for help or for online play, if you'd wish we'd even use level appropriate gear), eventually, with patience, you'll fall in love with the series, trust me, it's quite addicting. You make yourself progress not by experience points or stats, but your own personal skill as a hunter and the weapons and armor you craft from your previous hunts. Sure, armors have skills on them, but you should only look into that in late high rank or early G rank. I don't know, I just love knowing that I went from slaughtering poor defenseless herbivores for meat to slaying an enormous, fire-breathing beast not because of anything in the game that helped me, but because I learned the monster's moves, I learned its personality, I learned the locations it prefers, what certain actions mean, I learned about items, how to craft them, and which are/aren't effective, and I made my own weapon and armor to withstand its attacks, to eventually, with effort, finally make it fall. That feeling of happiness when you experience all of that on your own is just so satisfying, and it never seizes to impress me. You experience all of that thrill, adrenaline, and relief, only to discover there's an even larger, deadlier, worse monster next on the hunting list.

-Alternis

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Thanks for the tips. I haven't tried either of the bow guns yet. Going to do them all so I'll see if they feel better than the regular bow. One of the ones I liked, I forget the name but it was a sword and shield that turned into a big axe. I think that's the frontrunner so far. Do you ever get the ability to use more than one weapon at a time and swap them on the fly?

I think my general problem with the combat so far is that it seems to be really hard to change your direction after you start swinging. At least half of my swings with any given weapon aren't even in the same zip code as the monster I was swinging at. I'm sure this is just because I'm a noob. I had kind of the same feeling when I started Dark Souls but eventually got really used to the fighting in that game. The monsters in this game are more maneuverable than I was expecting.

tuffy

Thanks for the tips. I haven't tried either of the bow guns yet. Going to do them all so I'll see if they feel better than the regular bow. One of the ones I liked, I forget the name but it was a sword and shield that turned into a big axe. I think that's the frontrunner so far. Do you ever get the ability to use more than one weapon at a time and swap them on the fly?

I think my general problem with the combat so far is that it seems to be really hard to change your direction after you start swinging. At least half of my swings with any given weapon aren't even in the same zip code as the monster I was swinging at. I'm sure this is just because I'm a noob. I had kind of the same feeling when I started Dark Souls but eventually got really used to the fighting in that game. The monsters in this game are more maneuverable than I was expecting.
You'll never be able to swap weapons mid-fight. Think of it like a one-on-one fighter where weapon types take the place of different characters and each has their own set of regular moves, special moves, attack speeds and so on. All the big monsters have a finite amount of different moves they can use and their moves have various "tells" you can use to know they're coming. Like how Great Jaggi has a dangerous hipcheck move whose windup is quite different from his regular bites. Once you know how the monster behaves, you'll more naturally be able to avoid their attacks, predict their movements, and land hits based on what they're going to do next.

jorgejjvr

I HIGHLY suggest watching the tutorial videos of a YouTuber called "Gaijin Hunter"

He goes in detail about everything a weapon can do and how you can use them, trust me, you'll need to see his videos (I'm sure a fellow GAFer will lead you to the one about the Charge Blade).

Yeah, the Sword and Shield/Axe is the charge blade.

Range weapons are all about not getting hit seeing as how all the armor for gunners have half the defense as blade master armor.

No, you can't carry two weapons at once, but it doesn't mean you can't learn to use different weapons for different hunts.

Regarding the changing of direction after swinging and accuracy in general, when you're hunting a large monster (like the one in the tutorial mission, anything that takes more than a couple of hits to kill), you can press the monster icon on the touch screen that activates once the large monster spots you so that every time you press the L shoulder button, the camera automatically aims to wherever the large monster is located.

Furthermore, if you start attacking and realize that the monster quickly has moved out of the way or you have missed in general, try not to sheathe your weapon and try not to change the direction of the attacks you were making (attacks can be "aimed" but not to a high degree). The only exception to what I said previously is if you use a great sword, as wielders of said weapon often tend to deploy hit and run tactics.

Instead, if you're attacking and the monster moves/you miss, focus on evading/rolling with the B button, it'll allow you to quickly go back into the action and get close to the monster without having to put your weapon away. For the most part, you'll want to have your weapon drawn and ready. Once the monster has significantly gone away from your weapon's optimal range (weapons like the hammer are slower and short, sometimes not worth going extreme distances with it out), then it's okay to sheathe. Even then, beware, as some monsters have quick charges and long range attacks that can hit you as you sheathe or use an item. Evasion is huge, just like in dark souls. You'll want to do it a lot, A LOT, but just make sure you don't deplete everything, especially if your weapon can block.

Also like dark souls, each large monster (a boss in dark souls) that's in your rank is significantly superior to you, you must be wise and persistent, know when to back down and when to attack. Their attack, defense, and health are incredibly superior to yours, and as you start killing large monsters, a more difficult one will appear, and you must use what you've obtain from the previous hunts to craft/upgrade weapons and armor, all while learning the moves of this new enemy.

So yeah, learn to lock on, evade frequently, look at gaijin hunter's videos to learn weapons and how to use them fluidly, and treat this game as a somewhat fast-paced dark souls with verticality. They're different, yet retain many features, so keep what you've learned from dark souls while learning about the things MH has.

If you have any questions, please, I beg of you, feel free to ask!

And if you wish to hunt online, we're here.

-Alternis

Edit: I apologize, I haven't seen (what looks like) a complete newcomer to the series on GAF in ages, so forgive my excitement. If you wouldn't mind, could you perhaps give the game a relatively decent chance? Sadly, the series is either a love it or hate it type deal, some people just instantly think it's garbage due to the lack of knowledge as to how to play or the mechanics, etc.

To be fair, the series doesn't explain such things super well, but if people read the dialogue it would help drastically. Even then, you're special because you have us to answer questions. So try not to get intimidated by the game or shrug it off quickly. After you've given it a chance, if it's not your thing, that's alright.

Again, I apologize, I just love watching people progress and grow and learn, it's just kind of my thing. So again, if you have any questions feel free to ask, and if you're up for some Gathering Hall fun, I would gladly play alongside you (with low gear if you wish), just to experience your reactions. I don't know, I have a feeling you'll grow to be a true Hunter.

deim0s

The Lock-on and L button is your friend on large monsters. Hang-in there and post away if you have any questions.

If you're ready or want some company, I'll gladly join you on hunts.

I haven't played MH4U much since April. I signed up to GAF in hopes that I would make it in time for the Monster Hunter frenzy, but I made it in time for Splatoon, which has taken over my gaming time. =P I actually had a great Gamefaqs group that I hung out with for MH4U. Clocked in over 250 hours with them when I was playing. I might start playing again, so it'd be great hunting with all of you guys. =D

I don't know if you know this, but a lot of the recovery animations after you swing can be canceled by rolling. Take a Great Sword and swing it and don't press any buttons until you can move again. Now swing it again while spsmming the evade button. You'll see that rolling will allow you to decrease the amount of time between swinging and will allow you to reposition yourself to a better spot. Some weapons don't need this to recover faster, but they still use it for repositioning.

Ranged weapons are interesting in these game IMO. The armor that you're forced to use has half of the defense as your Blademater counterparts. The thinking behind this is because if you go ranged, you won't get hit as often as Blademasters do. They also have higher elemental resistance, which works for Gunners because most monsters will usually launch elemental projectiles at you. Then there are the weapons. They actually require you to know both the monster's elemental weakness and the best hitzone to shoot at. A monster I like to practice on for gunning is Yian Kut-Ku( except his Blue and G versions. Screw Konchu bowling. Vets know what I'm talking about). He'll go down faster if you shoot his head as opposed to his body. A lot of monsters are the same way, but their aggressiveness and body shape can make it hard to aim.

Another important skill is to learn how to use your invincibility frames as you're evading. They allow you to stick to the monster and attack it. This is especially important for weapons that attack faster. One monster I saw recommended to practice this on is the Rathian. She likes to to tail sweeps, which is pretty easy to avoid. Practicing on these tail sweeps is great for learning when your MoI (Moment of Invincibility). It activates at the start of the evasion animation, but disappears a few frames after, so it's a very tiny window.

Armor skills. Boy, these are strange sometimes. The game tells you that you can get skills on your armor, but IIRC it doesn't tell you that you need 10 points or more to activate a skill unless you go to the skill summary screen, which not many newcomers look at. A lot of times you'll see people who have +7 in this skill and +9 in that skill thinking that they're activated. Nope, you need +10 or more to do so. Just an FYI. Recommended skills usually involve skills that increase your damage output, but there are those who like to recommend Defense Up for newcomers, and there are those who hate the idea of using that skill. My opinion is that Defense Up shouldn't be necessary unless you're having bad problems with a monster. Don't rely on Defense Up, so you have to only use it as a learning tool. Heck, most skills aren't even necessary in this game unless you go for the speed kill. All you need to do is to learn the monster's visual and audio tells and how to evade them.

I can't give any tips with the Charge Blade because I haven't really used it, but I second looking up the video tutorials from Gaijin Hunter. His videos helped me with my Switch Axe play. If you have any questions on the Great Sword, Switch Axe, or Bow, then feel free to ask. Those are the weapons I've used the most.

Expect to get screwed over by the RNGod and Desire Sensor. You know that common material that you only need 3 of? Well, the Desire Sensor knows what you want now and you will get everything else but that. You know that one rare part from that one monster that you don't need? Well, now you'll have a lot of those. This just means an occassional grind is necessary to get what you want. Online play makes this tons easier to deal with.

Also, I'd like to leave off with a famous phrase:
Hit it 'till it dies and don't get hit.
Just have fun.

Wolfe

You're a trip Alt, I enjoy that you enjoy helping newcomers so much :)

@Liquid: Like you I came from Demon's/Dark Souls before I touched MH and I enjoyed the similar mechanics between the two series. Plus I didn't care for magic in the DS games so I felt right at home with MH and it's purely physical based combat (well at least for the hunters). Everyone else has already given better advice and tips than I could give so I'll just recommend doing the beginning tutorial quest for any weapon you have the slightest interest in trying out, some people play every weapon and some play only one or two.

I myself ended up playing primarily charge blade as I thoroughly enjoy the mechanics and playstyle even though I played almost the entirety of my time in 3U with the hammer. I still dabble in great sword, long sword, hammer and dual blades but 9 times out of 10 I'm likely to be rocking the charge blade.

Doesn't mean I'm much good at it though! lol

Edit: would love to see you around here in that case Blue, there's usually a handful of us regularly making rooms (typically enough to fill a room, sometimes we'll have 2 or even 3 going at once but more often than not it's just one) and the more people that are around for that the better :)

So a question on the end quest rewards in GQs. Does it depend on what weapon you used to clear the quest to get better or lesser beshackled gear?

So a question on the end quest rewards in GQs. Does it depend on what weapon you used to clear the quest to get better or lesser beshackled gear?

IIRC it's dependent on the monster. It could also be a value that was set the moment the GQ was created, but I dunno. I haven't really kept up with that. Still, it shouldn't be dependent on the weapon you're using.

You're a trip Alt, I enjoy that you enjoy helping newcomers so much :)

@Liquid: Like you I came from Demon's/Dark Souls before I touched MH and I enjoyed the similar mechanics between the two series. Plus I didn't care for magic in the DS games so I felt right at home with MH and it's purely physical based combat (well at least for the hunters). Everyone else has already given better advice and tips than I could give so I'll just recommend doing the beginning tutorial quest for any weapon you have the slightest interest in trying out, some people play every weapon and some play only one or two.

I myself ended up playing primarily charge blade as I thoroughly enjoy the mechanics and playstyle even though I played almost the entirety of my time in 3U with the hammer. I still dabble in great sword, long sword, hammer and dual blades but 9 times out of 10 I'm likely to be rocking the charge blade.

Doesn't mean I'm much good at it though! lol

Edit: would love to see you around here in that case Blue, there's usually a handful of us regularly making rooms (typically enough to fill a room, sometimes we'll have 2 or even 3 going at once but more often than not it's just one) and the more people that are around for that the better :)

I'm usually in the Splatoon topic, but I thought it was time to come back to Monster Hunter for a bit. I want to stay sharp for MHX. =D That, and I think the G versions of the Metal Raths are out now.

IIRC it's dependent on the monster. It could also be a value that was set the moment the GQ was created, but I dunno. I haven't really kept up with that. Still, it shouldn't be dependent on the weapon you're using.

I'm usually in the Splatoon topic, but I thought it was time to come back to Monster Hunter for a bit. I want to stay sharp for MHX. =D That, and I think the G versions of the Metal Raths are out now.
That's what I get for reading the MH reddit earlier. Somebody mentioned rewards were also factored by the weapons n used to clear the quest.

Top Bottom