• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Elija2

Just spotted someone in G2 who didn't have any active skills. I don't even understand how you can get that far into the game and not realize how skills work.

MouldyK

Just spotted someone in G2 who didn't have any active skills. I don't even understand how you can get that far into the game and not realize how skills work.

Maybe:

maxresdefault.jpg

Greddleok

What sort of defence levels should I have for HR7 multiplayer? In my bow gear I'm getting almost one shotted. In my blademaster gear I'm taking 40% damage in one hit.

It doesn't help that I'm completely unfamiliar with these monsters, but I feel I need a defence buffer before I take them on with people again.

deim0s

GGs and good hunts. It was fun. =D

Yeap. Nice hunts.

What sort of defence levels should I have for HR7 multiplayer? In my bow gear I'm getting almost one shotted. In my blademaster gear I'm taking 40% damage in one hit.

It doesn't help that I'm completely unfamiliar with these monsters, but I feel I need a defence buffer before I take them on with people again.

G-Rank defense for gunners average around 400.

So you'd want to pile on the armor spheres or find a new armor.

There will be a point where Gunners will get 1-shotted almost all of the time, especially in a few endgame quests and high level GQs. =P Good luck.

Tarps

Oh Gold Rathian and Silver Rathalos G are out. Need to catch up.

Made myself a set of the G rank Gold Rath armor as soon as I could. It's a total beast for piling up the quest rewards, but not a very team spirited armor for playing online. I still recommend it though!

Shengar

Female version looks like an ass though. Too...what's the word? Gaudy? Otherwise, the blademaster Golden Lune armor doesn't look so appealing to me so I might build the gunner version instead, even if the skill isn't very good for it.

Been playing on an OG 3DS for around 150 hours now.

Is this 60fps on N3DS?

I only played the demo on my original 3DS, but if it's not 60 fps, it's a really fucking good 30fps.

Also: is there a quick way to farm raw meat in large quantities? I'm starting to run low.

deim0s

I only played the demo on my original 3DS, but if it's not 60 fps, it's a really fucking good 30fps.

Also: is there a quick way to farm raw meat in large quantities? I'm starting to run low.

If you'd want to quest the low-rank quest will net you around 10 average.

or

Refresh the Wycoon's wares and spend your points there.

Tarps

Energy drinks are a great alternative, and can be made from farmed items. I hardy ever pack meat anymore..

Kater

Banned
Guess I need to get this, then. Thanks.
I had forgotten about this. Good call.
Don't forget about Dash Juice tho. I always pack a couple of those, makes both mounts easier since you don't have to worry about stamina and makes dodging safe, so you won't run out of stamina just as a Tetsu charges at you, for example. :p

jorgejjvr

Anyone up for some hunts?

-Alternis

@Wolfe, thank you! I do my best to help others because I myself had a rough start with the series, and I'm only doing what I believe is right and I would've wanted others to do for me. It would be a shame to see a potential MH lover go away for a silly reason.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I've been kind of stubbornly sticking with the bow even tho I didn't like it initially. Am I missing something or is shooting with the aiming mode pretty much mandatory? I watched the gaijin hunter tutorial video and it doesn't even go into the aiming mode at all. They just use the regular charge attack button and then let it fly, but I find when I do that 90% of the time the shot just sails past whatever I'm shooting at (early in the game so it's just been jaggies and kanchus and stuff, so small monsters).

Also the video says it hates the default control setup in MH4U, but these seems like the best way to control it since I can hold R to charge and also use the circle pad to move the camera while I'm moving and charging. Am I missing something here too, or is it just old MH players being used to the way it was and not the way that makes more sense?

Gonna stick with the bow I think for a little while. I like that it has a melee attack for clearing out small junk monsters (the GH tutorial says this melee is "useless" but I've found it invaluable).

I'd do some online but I'm doing really the most menial of stuff right now. Killing packs of low level monsters and fishing and stuff. Still getting used to the basics of moving around and fighting.

Are armor spheres pretty rare? I've finally got 5 of them so I can upgrade a full set of armor. I have the leather set for gathering and the starting set (Derring?) are either of these worth using spheres on or should I save them for when I forge better armor?

Sorry for the tl;dr!

I don't complain too much about the RNG but man, it just doesn't want me to have 2 things: decent relic armor, and an appearance by mr snake for the palicos.

tuffy

I've been kind of stubbornly sticking with the bow even tho I didn't like it initially. Am I missing something or is shooting with the aiming mode pretty much mandatory? I watched the gaijin hunter tutorial video and it doesn't even go into the aiming mode at all. They just use the regular charge attack button and then let it fly, but I find when I do that 90% of the time the shot just sails past whatever I'm shooting at (early in the game so it's just been jaggies and kanchus and stuff, so small monsters).
I'm no bow expert, but some aiming seems typical unless the monster is already lined up. It seems to go:

charge → point hunter at monster → minor adjustments vertically and horizontally → release
Also the video says it hates the default control setup in MH4U, but these seems like the best way to control it since I can hold R to charge and also use the circle pad to move the camera while I'm moving and charging. Am I missing something here too, or is it just old MH players being used to the way it was and not the way that makes more sense?
I think it's mostly a muscle-memory thing. The older control scheme is a little less intuitive because Y doubles as a roll button while charging, but a lot of people are used to it.
Are armor spheres pretty rare? I've finally got 5 of them so I can upgrade a full set of armor. I have the leather set for gathering and the starting set (Derring?) are either of these worth using spheres on or should I save them for when I forge better armor?
Most armor spheres aren't very rare (with a couple of late game exceptions). Once Harvest Tour missions open up you'll be able to go out and mine as many as you need without risk.

jorgejjvr

Gonna stick with the bow I think for a little while. I like that it has a melee attack for clearing out small junk monsters (the GH tutorial says this melee is "useless" but I've found it invaluable).

I'd do some online but I'm doing really the most menial of stuff right now. Killing packs of low level monsters and fishing and stuff. Still getting used to the basics of moving around and fighting.

Sorry for the tl;dr!

Armor spheres aren't common, but they aren't rare. You'll find yourself getting them occasionally on hard hunts and while mining. Honestly, I would wait until you get a decent full set (by that I mean a full set of armor from a large monster with skills you like) before upgrading. For example, if I recall correctly, the leather and derring armor both have like 1 defense on each piece of equipment (head, armor, hands, waist, legs), while the Great Jaggi, Seltas, and Kecha Wacha armors (three early large monsters) have around 12-18 defense per piece of equipment (I'm referring to blade master armor, I'd imagine for gunners its 6-9 defense). It's quite the jump in defense, so it's worth going for.

Also! Super important! The head piece of equipment, hats, helmets, bands, etc. can be interchanged between blade master or gunner. For example, a blade master can wear a gunner helmet and a gunner can wear a blade master helmet. So if you want a little extra defense, you can craft the whole gunner set for your bow and craft the blade master helmet for a little more defense (however, the price for this is that certain skills may not activate).

The reason gaijin Hunter doesn't aim is for demonstrative purposes, I believe. What I've seen, pierce arrows are the best arrows to aim with, since you want them traveling across the body. You should also aim in order to do the bows' arc special attack (arc shots you do by pressing A while charging). For bows with the special power shot, aiming isn't really mandatory. In general, just get it stuck in your head that you should ALWAYS aim, that's how I used the bow. The only exception is for spread shots, but even then you can pull them off by aiming. The reason aiming is beneficial is that as you hunt, you'll learn that certain parts of monsters are much weaker and more vulnerable to damage, and sometimes these parts may be hard to reach, which is why aiming is important. So yeah, I highly recommend to just always aim, always. However, it's up to you and how you're comfortable, sometimes you may feel you don't need to aim, and that's fine. Although just make sure that you charge up, run around to position yourself, and only aim really quickly before shooting. You don't want to aim for too long, I find, if anything just aim to adjust your shot to where you want it to go and shoot.

Yeah, the reason he changes out the default control set up is because he's been a long term Hunter, and in all the previous games the aiming and charging buttons were the opposite of the default in MH4U, which veterans hated. If this is your first game, just use what you're comfortable with.

-Alternis

Edit: If you want, you can just try out the online with us, just to kind of learn how online works and stuff. Plus, I think it would be better to learn the mechanics of the games with others whom are willing to help than all alone (as it might take a little longer). It's your choice however, just know we are available whenever.

Qurupeke

What's the deal with the different coloured mining spots? I noticed that I couldn't find Cosmicite Ore at Black Spots in Heaven's Mount, while All Fire Stones couldn't be found on Red Spots in the volcano.

My god, getting a win right now vs Lagombi in Meownster Hunter is being such a pest.
*edit: screw it, the RNG is against my efforts right now. It's not gonna let me win.

Wolfe

I don't complain too much about the RNG but man, it just doesn't want me to have 2 things: decent relic armor, and an appearance by mr snake for the palicos.

I'm still looking for that 4 edgemaster chest lol.

Also I've been having such bad luck with getting scraps for monsters you can't fight, been waiting to make the last piece of the palico dah'ren armor for what feels like forever now.

I'm not certain, but I think the level of the cats affect the success rate of Meownster Hunters.
Yeah that part's true, which is why I try to use cats at lvl 15+ for the high rank quests.
I'm still looking for that 4 edgemaster chest lol.

Also I've been having such bad luck with getting scraps for monsters you can't fight, been waiting to make the last piece of the palico dah'ren armor for what feels like forever now.
I'm still 1 scrap away from making the damn Amatsu set and a ton more from having the body armor of Gypceros

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I killed enough bugs to get a bug bow which is almost double the power of my last bow... But it took killing the same bug 4 times to get it. I also made myself some alloy armor out of all the iron and malachite I've been gathering (took a long ass time). Is this kind of the carrot-on-stick gameplay loop I can expect to be on for the rest of the game, or are there still surprises in store for me?

I'll say generally I see the appeal of the game. I typically like these grindy sorts of games, but the biggest problem is that even with sporadic play over the course of the day, my hands are killing me from holding a 3DS (original model with circle pad pro add on). This is the kinda game that makes you want to sit down and go at it for hours on end and I'm not sure that's going to even be possible for my arthritic, old-man hands. Really kinda wish my first foray into this franchise was on one of the console version.

jorgejjvr

I killed enough bugs to get a bug bow which is almost double the power of my last bow... But it took killing the same bug 4 times to get it. I also made myself some alloy armor out of all the iron and malachite I've been gathering (took a long ass time). Is this kind of the carrot-on-stick gameplay loop I can expect to be on for the rest of the game, or are there still surprises in store for me?

I'll say generally I see the appeal of the game. I typically like these grindy sorts of games, but the biggest problem is that even with sporadic play over the course of the day, my hands are killing me from holding a 3DS (original model with circle pad pro add on). This is the kinda game that makes you want to sit down and go at it for hours on end and I'm not sure that's going to even be possible for my arthritic, old-man hands. Really kinda wish my first foray into this franchise was on one of the console version.

Somewhat yes. The surprises in store are generally from the monsters themselves as well as some things you acquire in the offline mode.

Indeed, this game isn't really about hunting something once and moving on, you'll have to grind to get what you need/upgrade.

Trust me, soon enough you'll be facing things much deadlier than a bug.

I never really had a problem playing this game for a super long time, and I've played on the original and new 3DS. I've never used the circle pad pro but I would imagine it would make things more comfortable. Was the arithic hands part and exaggeration or was that serious? This game is the type of game you play for multiple hundreds of hours, so prepare for a long haul.

Although the more you play it, thanks to certain features like multiplying items at the wycoon or the spit you gain use of at the chef's kitchen, you'll find that generally you won't need to grind TOO long (unless it's something really rare).

I advise that you mine a lot, but in terms of armor, it's best to have armor from actual monsters than metals from mining, since monster armor usually has more defense and you'll be wanting to save those metals for other things.

Although yeah, you're kind of experiencing the game, but it gets much more grandiose and action-packed the more you play because of the harder, deadlier monsters you encounter.

I would say to simply have your hands and body comfortable as you play, relax, and try not to press buttons or push/pull the pads to hard or too fast or in any way that might cause pain or discomfort. I never really have a problem playing long term as I've said before, so perhaps what you need is some muscle memory and just getting used to the positioning of your hands and fingers?

-Alternis

Top Bottom