• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Kater

Banned
I have a Handicraft +6 OOO charm so just having that charm gave me the 6 points needed to gain Sharpness +1

With the rest of the 14 slots I just gemed in HG Earplugs with 4 OOO Earplug jewels for 16 points. This leaves me with two one slots and with a three slotted weapon you can get any 5 slot skill like speed sharpening, sneak, divine protection, etc.

So in the end

HG Earplugs
Challenger +2
Steady Hand
Rodeo God
Sharpness +1
(Possible 5 slot skill)
An amazing insect glaive set

I do have another version where instead I take away the HG earplugs in return for 2-3 5 slot skills (3 if I have a one slot weapon).

It's your choice. You can pretty much gem in any skills you want into that set, it's that great.

-Alternis

Yeah, I guess HG Earplugs could be a good idea. I wish I had a charm as good as yours, heh. :p I only have a +7 Handicraft --- charm (with +8 Protection as well).

I'll just try out a couple different things then, experiment a bit.

Actually, the requirements are to have a G3 Permit :(

-Alternis

Edit: Oh crap sorry for double post.

You are right. I forgot that it says that.

The Quest Lvl is G2 but you actually need a G3 permit. Sorry for the misinformation, Wanderer5.

jorgejjvr

Yeah, I guess HG Earplugs could be a good idea. I wish I had a charm as good as yours, heh. :p I only have a +7 Handicraft --- charm (with +8 Protection as well).

I'll just try out a couple different things then, experiment a bit.

You are right. I forgot that it says that.

The Quest Lvl is G2 but you actually need a G3 permit. Sorry for the misinformation, Wanderer5.

That's super good though. Two easy skills (Sharpness +1 and Divine Protection) and still 10 slots left to work with (3 are OOO slots and one O slot). You can get two five slot skills or whatever you want :p

-Alternis

jorgejjvr

Oh, I forgot that Protection gives Divine Protection. *facepalms*

Yeah, that's actually a pretty good skill to have.

Especially since it stacks with defense honing and Defender (Hi).

With all three, it gives you about a 58% chance of taking a lot less damage. With two, it's 44%, with one its 25%.

Use the asylum jewel to get the missing 2 points in protection and you're set.

-Alternis

Kater

Banned
Especially since it stacks with defense honing and Defender (Hi).

With all three, it gives you about a 58% chance of taking a lot less damage. With two, it's 44%, with one its 25%.

Use the asylum jewel to get the missing 2 points in protection and you're set.

-Alternis
Oh, so it does stack with Defender Hi? That's pretty cool then.

I don't really understand Honing for Defense though, how does it stack with that? I thought it was just a physical increase in defense.

jorgejjvr

Thanks for the help. You made it seem so easy u_u

Anytime. Sorry, I had to stop because my internet was being a tad unpredictable.

Well, that's what so many hours of experience does to you XD I pretty much know everything about the monsters and how to kill them in the fastest times possible cx sure, I may sometimes faint, I'm not perfect, but overall I just try to mount and get it done as fast as possible for my teammates ^.^

-Alternis

jorgejjvr

Oh, so it does stack with Defender Hi? That's pretty cool then.

I don't really understand Honing for Defense though, how does it stack with that? I thought it was just a physical increase in defense.

Haven't you seen Gaijin Hunter's honing video?

You're right, honing for defense does give you +60 defense.

However, it has another secret ability that most people wouldn't know about unless observed or told.

Even Gaijin Hunter still doesn't understand why it's not mentioned in the game.

You see, not only does honing for defense give you +60 defense points, it also gives you a natural divine blessing along with it as well.

You can even try it out yourself, if you get a defensively honed weapon, while not having divine blessing or Defender Hi, go out on a quest. Even without those but with a Defensively honed weapon, you'll still see the sparkles and experience the effect of divine blessing.

So yeah, honing for defensive gives +60 defense and an effect that is exactly the same as Divine Blessing and Defender (Hi), and they all stack with each other.

-Alternis

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I DID IT! EAT IT, MONKEY!

Having beaten the monkey I do not think I was that close to beating him the first time when I thought I was close to beating him. He was REAL messed up this last time. He went back and went to bed twice. Still took all 10 of my mega potions AND all 10 of the herb/blue mushroom/honey I had on me to kill him. I went out of my way to bring double the healing items and it still was barely enough. I don't think I was supposed to solo that guy yet, or I'm just really awful at this game.

Now to go wear more of his skin, Hannibal style!

jorgejjvr

I DID IT! EAT IT, MONKEY!

Having beaten the monkey I do not think I was that close to beating him the first time when I thought I was close to beating him. He was REAL messed up this last time. He went back and went to bed twice. Still took all 10 of my mega potions AND all 10 of the herb/blue mushroom/honey I had on me to kill him. I went out of my way to bring double the healing items and it still was barely enough. I don't think I was supposed to solo that guy yet, or I'm just really awful at this game.

Now to go wear more of his skin, Hannibal style!

That's monster hunter for you, that amazing feeling of triumph! Now to do everything again, and make armor/weapons out of him if you so choose! :D

I recommend consuming mega potions first, and then combing your honey with your regular potions to make more mega potions, and then combing your herbs and blue mushrooms to make regular potions after that. It should get you around 20 mega potions and 10 potions if you do it in the order I said (combining may fail though).

Hmm, was the monkey that you killed from the offline mode or the online mode?

Like I said, for the most part, online monsters aren't technically meant to be soloed. It can be done, it's just that when soloing a monster from the online part of the game, one person (you) is fighting a monster that health designed for four people to fight it. Basically, if you fought that same monster from the online in the offline mode, you would've killed it around four times faster

Overall, congrats man! A small step to the world of monster hunter. I can only imagine your reactions to future beasts you need to take on.

Don't worry, with time everyone becomes more and more experience with their weapon and evading skills, just keep playing and you'll be fine.

Remember that monsters you fight in the Gathering Hall are online monsters regardless of whether or not you're actually online, and will always be tougher and harder to kill than monsters that aren't in the Gathering Hall.

So, when do you want to play online? :p

-Alternis

Edit: Wait until you meet a little monkey called Rajang :p

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
It was a monkey that just roams around the area you go to for the 2nd multiplayer gathering quest. Kacha Wacha or something like that. I gotta kill him like 2-3 more times to get the rest of his outfit made. That sounds like way too much work. He was so hard to kill. I haven't seen him in single player at all. In the single player quests the last one I did was killing the great jaggi. I should probably get back to those.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It was a monkey that just roams around the area you go to for the 2nd multiplayer gathering quest. Kacha Wacha or something like that. I gotta kill him like 2-3 more times to get the rest of his outfit made. That sounds like way too much work. He was so hard to kill. I haven't seen him in single player at all. In the single player quests the last one I did was killing the great jaggi. I should probably get back to those.

Yes, you'll fight him again in single player and odds are you'll have a much easier time. The multiplayer versions of monsters have a lot more health than the single player ones. So since you were able to solo him in multiplayer you should wreck his face in single.

jorgejjvr

Well, if you want to make his armor and kill him relatively more quickly and safely, why not just make an online room with a passcode for me and other GAFers to join and help you? Don't worry, we won't use overpowers gear so that it dies in a second, we'd rather use gear that's around your rank to give you the full experience.

Yeah, you should definitely do the village quests. You don't need to complete the training quests. Although, you should talk to people with yellow speech bubbles with "..." on them, as that will open up more quests. Once you complete all or most of the quests that aren't the training missions, you'll be asked to go on two expeditions, which you can do by clicking on the blue circle with the monster head on it when you're in the Val Habar town.

Once you go on two expeditions, you'll receive an urgent quest to hunt a Kecha Wacha, that monkey. However, since it's offline, it will be a lot easier.

Chances are you may already have expeditions (blue circle with a monster head on it) unlocked in the world map on the touch screen already! If not, just talk to citizen with the speech bubbles and complete more quests.

Those are the two options, you'll have to fight him offline eventually anyway, it's not a choice.

So either make a room online for us to join or work on those quest to unlock expeditions, then go on two expeditions, and you'll gain access to the offline Kecha Wacha.

-Alternis

Edit: Regarding the options, the online would be quick and easy while offline has more long term benefits.

co1onel

I used my tenderizer+5/attack+14 charm on the star knight set to gem in s+1, weakness exploit and attack up large. I don't understand why capcom made the set so insanely good.

I haven't played online since the set came out in the US, but I assume nearly everyone is using it online now.

Think I'm going to try to get through 9* quests before evo ends.

Tips for pink rathian and anything else that is typically a roadblock?

**Beat pink ian. I think the first two times I just got crazy unlucky. Both of those times I got comboed from like 90% to 0 during the enrage, but this time i only got stunned once.

Well, I've got G Dalamadur, G Fatalis, GX armors, and G Savage Jho quests now, working on getting to White Fatalis as that's part of an episodic quest. Weirdly, the dialogue for the episodic is translated, but the missions are not.

LiQuid!

Yes, you'll fight him again in single player and odds are you'll have a much easier time. The multiplayer versions of monsters have a lot more health than the single player ones. So since you were able to solo him in multiplayer you should wreck his face in single.

You weren't kidding. The single player version of my monkey nemesis was a chump. Wearing a full set of gear made from his carcasses now. Looks way cooler than the dumb alloy set I was wearing. He won battles but I won the war. God damned monkey.

You weren't kidding. The single player version of my monkey nemesis was a chump. Wearing a full set of gear made from his carcasses now. Looks way cooler than the dumb alloy set I was wearing. He won battles but I won the war. God damned monkey.

Monkey is actually a lot of fun. Definitely a good "tutorial monster" of sorts.

That, Najarala, and Zamtrios were really cool in low rank. New monsters are awesome.

jorgejjvr

For the most part, only fight monsters that are in the online gathering hall with other players online. Otherwise, you're going to have quite the difficult and frustrating time.

I'm not saying you can't, but it's probably best to practice offline until you feel comfortable enough to take on their online counterparts (with tons more HP) more easily.

Or, if anything, you should play offline until you believe you're able to handle yourself on your own in an online lobby (you don't want to burden other players).

My advice? Considering that online unlocks stuff for offline, and offline unlocks stuff for online, you should DEFINITELY play both evenly. In my opinion, you should never stray too far into one mode, because then the other would look like a chore and be boring since you'll have all the armor and weapons you got in one mode, making the other too easy. So please, I highly recommend playing offline and online in equal amounts.

A good way to do this is to go to the gathering hall (the place that has the quest with the monkey with super HP), and check all of the monster quests that are available in HR1 (the starting level). In my experience, the key quests (the quests you MUST do in order to obtain an urgent, yes there are urgent a online too) are always quests that involve either killing or capturing a monster or multiple monsters (they're never gathering quests, harvest tour, etc.). Once you have seen all that's monsters available Ina certain rank (HR1, HR 2, etc.), go to the story mode until you properly encounter and defeat them offline, and then go to online and defeat them and do the urgent quest to reach the next rank, and then repeat the process.

There's a list online telling you which quests are key quests, but I recommend not seeing it and supplying focus on quests involving hunting/capturing large monsters (after a while of doing such quests, you're bound to get your urgent both online and offline, depending on what you're doing),

However, some quests reward you nicely. In both online and offline, you may notice that there are quests with a fish symbol when selecting them, this means it will upgrade your kitchen and make the ingredients better, this improving the buffs you get. Other quests have a symbol of white fangs, meaning doing those quests will unlock extra materials for trade in the wycoon. So keep an eye out for those symbols.

If you've got any more updates or questions, let us know!

And when you finally decide to play online, we'll be waiting!

-Alternis

Well, I've got G Dalamadur, G Fatalis, GX armors, and G Savage Jho quests now, working on getting to White Fatalis as that's part of an episodic quest. Weirdly, the dialogue for the episodic is translated, but the missions are not.

What's the point of downloading JP DLC Quests? Early access?

Or do you get stuff that was exclusive in Japan too, like that Pirate J Set?

tuffy

Or do you get stuff that was exclusive in Japan too, like that Pirate J Set?
It's just early access to stuff that'll be out eventually everywhere else. Japan-exclusive gear is dummied out in the game so there's no way to get it at all.

It's just early access to stuff that'll be out eventually everywhere else. Japan-exclusive gear is dummied out in the game so there's no way to get it at all.
Ah ok thanks.

I was browsing GameFAQs and some people are hosting "CQ", I guess that stands for "Custom Quests", right? Apparently they have made some charms custom quests.

Disgusting, they are going to destroy MH4U. :/

just got a Dragon Talisman with...

Gloves Off +2
Defense +8
OOO

Guess I'll be using this for the next 20 quests lol. Think I can get both Tremor resist and defense with this for my set, now, so I don't lose anything by swapping talismans.
Yup, my set now has...
Tremor Res
Sharpness +1
Crit Draw
Defense Up (s)
Quick Sheath

Basically. Specifically in a few examples, I'd like to be able to host the G-Dalamadur quest for people who don't have access to it yet, because the SA and IG are godlike in my experience. Savage Jho has one of the highest damaging SAs in the game but he's only available as offline expedition if you're lucky, and then you have to break his head for the fangs and maybe you'll get the drop you need; in other words, it's much easier to be able to run a quest with friends. The White Fatalis GL would round out my GL elemental coverage and it's a good GL anyway.

I was browsing GameFAQs and some people are hosting "CQ", I guess that stands for "Custom Quests", right? Apparently they have made some charms custom quests.

Disgusting, they are going to destroy MH4U. :/

Yeah, CQs aren't great, it's unfortunate they went so quickly to abuse rather than fun.

Guess I'll be using this for the next 20 quests lol. Think I can get both Tremor resist and defense with this for my set, now, so I don't lose anything by swapping talismans.
Yup, my set now has...
Tremor Res
Sharpness +1
Crit Draw
Defense Up (s)
Quick Sheath

That's a solid set, especially if you're using Great Sword.

I fucking hate Garugas. What sort of stupid bullshit are they made of.

The frenzied ones in GQs are hilarious.

jorgejjvr

Basically. Specifically in a few examples, I'd like to be able to host the G-Dalamadur quest for people who don't have access to it yet, because the SA and IG are godlike in my experience. Savage Jho has one of the highest damaging SAs in the game but he's only available as offline expedition if you're lucky, and then you have to break his head for the fangs and maybe you'll get the drop you need; in other words, it's much easier to be able to run a quest with friends. The White Fatalis GL would round out my GL elemental coverage and it's a good GL anyway.

Yeah, CQs aren't great, it's unfortunate they went so quickly to abuse rather than fun.

That's a solid set, especially if you're using Great Sword.

The frenzied ones in GQs are hilarious.

Do you mind perhaps doing some white Fatalis later? That armor just looks so good! I'm not really in the mood to waste a bunch of materials on another IG like bouncing Dalamadur, and I'm fine with the C Fatty IG.
Savage Jho sounds fun. Any difference between regular Jho armor?
How does G Black Fatalie armor look like? What does it have?

-Alternis

Do you mind perhaps doing some white Fatalis later? That armor just looks so good! I'm not really in the mood to waste a bunch of materials on another IG like bouncing Dalamadur, and I'm fine with the C Fatty IG.
Savage Jho sounds fun. Any difference between regular Jho armor?
How does G Black Fatalie armor look like? What does it have?

Sure. I need to clear the missions in the episodic first though. Chameleos in the battlequarters is next, and then maybe W.Fatty?

Deviljho gives you a Torso up part (waist, I believe), Attack Up M, Razor Sharp, Speed Eating+1, and 3 points in avarice. Savage gives you 3 points in Handicraft and Avarice, Attack up L (22), Speed Eating+2, and Razor Sharp. Both have Raise Hunger as a negative.

Fatalis armor is the Dragon__ appearance you get from GQ I believe. It has Ruthlessness (Increases damage when attacking enemy weak points, and increases Affinity by 15%), Razor Sharp, Quick Sheath, and 6 points in Handicraft, with -Fast Charge.

Seregios time. Is that rolling = sharpness effect on its weapons very good? Or is it just a cool gimmick?

Depends on the weapon. Generally it's very good on things like the GS and Hammer, where you might be dodging with big strikes. Plus not needing to have any points in Sharpness+1 to get get purple sharpness is pretty sweet, and the damage is generally on the higher end.

As far as the CB is concerned, I don't really find the mechanic to be that useful because of how often I'm swinging at something with the sword. But you might have a different playstyle that involves rolling more often than I do.

Depends on the weapon. Generally it's very good on things like the GS and Hammer, where you might be dodging with big strikes. Plus not needing to have any points in Sharpness+1 to get get purple sharpness is pretty sweet, and the damage is generally on the higher end.

As far as the CB is concerned, I don't really find the mechanic to be that useful because of how often I'm swinging at something with the sword. But you might have a different playstyle that involves rolling more often than I do.

Nah, your thoughts seem to confirm my initial thoughts upon reading the effect. I'll try it out and see if I like it, but I'm not sure if I'll end up using it much.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Gotta actually kill the thing first.

**Oh, and thunder has proven to be an invaluable element. Everything is weak this this lol.

Wiseblade

Seregios time. Is that rolling = sharpness effect on its weapons very good? Or is it just a cool gimmick?
On weapons like the Greatsword that revolve around infrequent powerful attacks, it's definitely worthwhile. Don't bother with fast weapons, especially the multi-hitting Dual Blades.

I like the Seregios Charge Blade though. CB aren't a weapon you want to sheath once you're comfortable with guard points and being able to regain sharpness with dodges keeps me in the fight just a little bit longer.

Top Bottom