• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

hm. Alrighty. Guess I'll start looking in to gear upgrades, then, so that I know what to focus on. My gear has nice skills but the resistances and defence values leave something to be desired.

Weapon upgrades are much more straight forward.

jorgejjvr

hm. Alrighty. Guess I'll start looking in to gear upgrades, then, so that I know what to focus on. My gear has nice skills but the resistances and defence values leave something to be desired.

Weapon upgrades are much more straight forward.

That furious Rajang almost one shotted you with his regular running animation xD

-Alternis

To give you an example, 3 or 4 GAFers (possibly one random, unsure if she's a GAFer) took down a level 126 Diora (which is super G rank territory but not quite Ultra G rank territory) in 4 minutes.

-Alternis

One day I'll be good at monster hunter.

But today is clearly not that day.
I'm honestly pretty impressed with Normal's mixed set. Really good skills!

yeah, it does work. Honestly if it just was a bit higher level (and therefore higher armor) I'd use it for a while longer. But it's starting to show its weaknesses even in high rank, so it's looking to be time for an upgrade.

That said, what would you guys suggest for a set at this point? should I be looking at materials that I can find within G1/late HR? Or just go for something from G2/G3 and get carried (lol)?

jorgejjvr

One day I'll be good at monster hunter.

But today is clearly not that day.

yeah, it does work. Honestly if it just was a bit higher level (and therefore higher armor) I'd use it for a while longer. But it's starting to show its weaknesses even in high rank, so it's looking to be time for an upgrade.

That said, what would you guys suggest for a set at this point? should I be looking at materials that I can find within G1/late HR? Or just go for something from G2/G3 and get carried (lol)?

You should be able to survive until the G1 urgent, which is a G rank Seregios. The Seregios set is super good for starting G rank armor. I'd say either Tetsucabra or Seregios, but Seregios will last until G2 (where I made the G2 urgent monster's armor) or maybe even G3. Endgame full armor sets are actually really good, so you don't really need to actually make a mixed set unless you're unable to find a full set with the skills/slots available to gain all the skills you want. I find it relatively easy to acquire Sharpness +1 in endgame G rank.

You should try finishing up your upgrades for your weapons before doing G1 quests as most weapons can from lower ranks can become amazing endgame weapons *cough* Gore magala *cough* so you never know! However, if you find/feel another weapon can be better for you, go for it.

For example, I really like the Die Walkurie thunder CB (the upgraded version of your CB), while Glitch prefers the Golden Rajang thunder CB (check if you can make it).

Just make sure that once a weapon of yours is fully upgraded, it is rarity 8 or higher.

-Alternis

jorgejjvr

hm alrighty. Think I'll look in to the low G rank armor sets and see if there's anything that sticks out to me. Maybe I'll try something different.

Let me emphasize using what you're comfortable with. I mean, sometimes I try using rare 10 weapons just fit the whole cool factor and rarity when sometimes I'm better off with a rarity 9 weapon. Although this is only for certain occasions.

Also, Fish, I'd love to see your reactions to the new subspecies introduced in the G1 quests. Whenever you fight anything new, please update us/me XP

-Alternis

deim0s

I have a Brachy/Regios GQ I can share with ya that has CB bias.

Missed your post as I'm helping someone rank up at the time. I'll take that GQ when I catch you again here.

If anyone has a G-Rank Tigrex Sub or Brachy GQ with a CB bias, i'll take em.

Greddleok

Thanks for the help with the hunts. Could not find a group to do that for like a week!

I had a crack at Dalamadur solo a bit later, and got trashed. Had no clue what I was doing.

Nohar

OK, I'm confused. Can someone explain to me what is a Hame Room? I met a guy who was asking if the room we were in was one, and he left when it was obvious it wasn't. I found some info here and there (it seems to be a popular set up), but I'm just unable to find what this actually is (except that it involves HGB, LGB and sleeping shots, so I guess it is highly-effective sleep bombing?).

Edit: Nevermind, found it on Reddit.

Shengar

Hame room is where you stunlock a monster using 3 Gravios Gigacannon and 1 LBG status attacker. It's basically easiest possible to farm high end since it's very fast and quite effective. You can easily recognized such room if it have 2 or 3 HBG user.

Personally I don't get the appeal of hame. For me it's like killing tge whole point of the game. In my experience, once you sort to cheap way of farming, most likely you wouldn't be able to go back. But I don't hold anything against those who does it since at least they do it within the rule of the game unlike those cheating bastard that take advantage of Custom Quest.

Greddleok

So I've messed around with a few different weapons...

I love the IG...when it's fully charged, but I hate charging it. Sometimes if I get unlucky I'll spend what feels like way too long trying to get that red. It feels like I'm wasting time.

The LS is nice, but I'm not good at controlling it in coop.

I can't use the Lance. Not my playstyle.

The bow is a lot of fun, but I'm not good enough to play with low armour yet.

The dual blades seem like they do no damage. I'm sure I just suck with them, but it makes hunts take all day. The hyper-aggressive nature required for them to work just isn't my style.

Anything I should try to see if it clicks more than the IG?

deim0s

I love the IG...when it's fully charged, but I hate charging it. Sometimes if I get unlucky I'll spend what feels like way too long trying to get that red. It feels like I'm wasting time.

The dual blades seem like they do no damage. I'm sure I just suck with them, but it makes hunts take all day. The hyper-aggressive nature required for them to work just isn't my style.

Some random stuff that might help:

For IG, there's a reason why there is a recipe out there for the fastest and longest effect duration for the kinsect. It's just that the kinsect is slow on low levels to grab anything from it. You should try pumping up speed while building it up.

For LS and coop or any weapon in general: Once the monster falls or trips, randoms all go for the nearest part to attack. Spamming the most disrupting shit they have on their arsenal and it will annoy people. Position yourself away or target the part where you won't trip up your fellow hunter or them doing the same to you - if they're piling on the head let them be and target the legs for a possibility to trip the monster again.

Dual Blades you need to have both blades hit the monster and are more reliant on elemental/status attacks, so keep that in mind. Most effective is to focus on the legs first to trip then go for the head and repeat. Use items available to you like flash or traps to bring them down and try dash juices to keep you on your demonize mode or whatever they call it now for a long while. Having Evade skill is great with DB.

jorgejjvr

Yeah, look at Gaijin Hunter's video on how to make the ultimate kinsect. Sadly, if you already upgraded your IG or fed your kinsect, you won't end up with the ultimate kinsect, it must be from scratch.

Gaijin Hunter shows two ways to get it:
-When you have all the materials and can make it in one go
-When you want to use the glaive as you upgrade it

In the end, the ultimate kinsect has:
-Max Speed (it's like a bullet)
-Attack and Stamina Up L (I've killed/flinched monsters with my bug, and stamina makes it fly in the air for a super long time, perfect if you want to save the orange juice while still keeping white and red)
-Affinty Up
-Extract Efficacy Up (Bigger buffs, the red, white, orange, and green juices all have larger and better effects)
-Effect Extender (This is the big one! Juices last nearly around 2x or 3x longer, meaning if you get all three, you'll keep them for like 3-5 minutes!)

-Alternis

Nohar

Currently completing my Dual Blade collection. Crafted Agnaktor Inferno, which are really nice. Wyvern Conciliation are certainly better, but I can't craft those for the time being. Megiddo Breakers are also very interesting (Poison!), though the Sharpness is so-so, and can't craft those yet either.

Crafted Le Paradis too (well, I'll be damned: those weapons are in french in the english version of the game, nice), which will probably come in handy when fighting Fatalis.

Finally, got the Ukanlos Skyrippers, though I'm not really sure that they are that useful (that atrocious sharpness doesn't help). Oh well, as I said, it is for completing my collection (and I may find them a niche situation in which they are useful).

Kinda wish I could use the Garuga Lovebirds. They are so beautiful~... But I need Awakening, otherwise they are not worth using. Meh.

So I made it all the way to Gog in G3 before I got to the point that I needed to do multiplayer to beat it. Now that I've started dipping my toes into the multiverse I've realized two things. First being that it was pretty stupid of me to try to solo everything for so long and second is that while stupid, it was pretty good practice for me as this is my first Monster Hunter.

I do have one question though as I decipher my fourth (or fifth?) scroll; is there any way to speed up the process of getting four people into a room? It seems like whenever I just want to hop into a quest and don't care which one I end up spending more time waiting for a room to fill up than I do hunting... It makes me want to go solo again but the hunt is even more contagious when questing with a group.

I love this game. 305 hours and no sign of stopping. Its been a pleasure to hunt and enter the world of MH4U

jorgejjvr

So I made it all the way to Gog in G3 before I got to the point that I needed to do multiplayer to beat it. Now that I've started dipping my toes into the multiverse I've realized two things. First being that it was pretty stupid of me to try to solo everything for so long and second is that while stupid, it was pretty good practice for me as this is my first Monster Hunter.

I do have one question though as I decipher my fourth (or fifth?) scroll; is there any way to speed up the process of getting four people into a room? It seems like whenever I just want to hop into a quest and don't care which one I end up spending more time waiting for a room to fill up than I do hunting... It makes me want to go solo again but the hunt is even more contagious when questing with a group.

I love this game. 305 hours and no sign of stopping. Its been a pleasure to hunt and enter the world of MH4U

I always join rooms, I never make them.

Anybody up for some hunts?

-Alternis

Playing a game of dota, but I think I'll play some more monhun after. If anyone has anything in mind to do I'll join them, otherwise I'll make a room and look to finish up all my high rank weapon upgrades.

Insaniac

Ugh, tips for Pink Rathian? One of my most hated monsters along with Brachydios. Her tail spins get me so easily for some reason because she's just so spastic with it. Can't ever seem to predict and dodge. I'm using insect glaive atm,

Got a room for some high rank parts I still need:
58-0380-0248-2504
Pass: 8888

Ugh, tips for Pink Rathian? One of my most hated monsters along with Brachydios. Her tail spins get me so easily for some reason because she's just so spastic with it. Can't ever seem to predict and dodge. I'm using insect glaive atm,

I beat Pink Rath in high rank by abusing flash bombs and traps. Also played pretty conservatively when she's enraged.
@Alt, easier to list things here.

I need...
Rathalos
A.Rathalos
S.Magala
D.Moron
Zamtrios
S.Zinogre
Seregios
M.Tigrex
Ukanlos
Teostra
Dalamadur
Akantor
and... a hercudrome.

For all High Rank weapons. I think.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
My friend and I are doing some HR3 key quests to rank up if anybody wants to come help

42 - 7221 - 4910 - 4393 pw: 1379

jorgejjvr

Join his room and we'll help out.

-Alternis

@Liquid!

I'll join after this quest

Edit: Gosh darn it! Too many disconnects :( don't worry, I'll try to see if I can send another helper.

Wolfe is on the way!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Bummer about the DC's but not prob. We were able to 2-man the tigrex and gravios with no feinting. About to do a couple Doren Morons for our urgents to rank up!

LiQuid!

Yep Wolfe is helping, these doran moron fights are bad. :D

jorgejjvr

Got a room for some high rank parts I still need:
58-0380-0248-2504
Pass: 8888

I beat Pink Rath in high rank by abusing flash bombs and traps. Also played pretty conservatively when she's enraged.
@Alt, easier to list things here.

I need...
Rathalos
A.Rathalos
S.Magala
D.Moron
Zamtrios
S.Zinogre
Seregios
M.Tigrex
Ukanlos
Teostra
Dalamadur
Akantor
and... a hercudrome.

For all High Rank weapons. I think.

I think I'll call it a day. Too many DCs. Hopefully I helped with a majority of your materials, and everything else that's missing besides Teostra might be a pain to do it with just us two. I advise visiting LiQuid!'s room if there's space. You'll find Wolfe and two hunters new to high rank. You can choose to help them, or take turns and ask if they can help you with Dalam, Teostra, And Akantor (I think Ukanlos is HR8+).

-Alternis

I think I'll call it a day. Too many DCs. Hopefully I helped with a majority of your materials, and everything else that's missing besides Teostra might be a pain to do it with just us two. I advise visiting LiQuid!'s room if there's space. You'll find Wolfe and two hunters new to high rank. You can choose to help them, or take turns and ask if they can help you with Dalam, Teostra, And Akantor (I think Ukanlos is HR8+).

-Alternis

Thanks. I think I'm ready to call it a day as well. Got 4 or 5 weapon upgrades and I'm itching for dinner, so I'll go.

LiQuid!

Thanks for the help guys, me and my friend both HR4 now and a whole new list of old monsters to fight!

so I'm looking in to armor sets for my intro to G rank, and it looks like the choices for sharpness +1/honed blade are somewhat boring. Is it necessary to have this early on?

jorgejjvr

so I'm looking in to armor sets for my intro to G rank, and it looks like the choices for sharpness +1/honed blade are somewhat boring. Is it necessary to have this early on?

Early on now, it's G3 and G crown that you should really need to focus on that. Purple sharpness' extra damage and penetration is extremely great and useful. Especially on the harder hunts.

-Alternis

LiQuid!

Old monsters? What do you mean?

-Alternis

We're "high rank" now and all our quests are just to go re-kill harder versions of the same monsters from low rank. We did kill 2 kechas and it looks like all the other HR4 quests are for similarly difficult enemies that we'd already killed.

jorgejjvr

We're "high rank" now and all our quests are just to go re-kill harder versions of the same monsters from low rank. We did kill 2 kechas and it looks like all the other HR4 quests are for similarly difficult enemies that we'd already killed.

Oh yeah, you need to start somewhere. Don't worry, you'll be introduced to new monsters as well as new monster subspecies really soon. You're not even relatively close to seeing every monster yet :p

-Alternis

LiQuid!

Oh yeah, you need to start somewhere. Don't worry, you'll be introduced to new monsters as well as new monster subspecies really soon. You're not even relatively close to seeing every monster yet :p

-Alternis

Yeah, I noticed the upgraded kecha armor is like nearly double the armor as the low rank rath set I've been using too which is a bummer cause I don't really want to look like that. Feels like taking a step backwards in order to take one forward, but I understand that's the nature of the game.

jorgejjvr

Yeah, I noticed the upgraded kecha armor is like nearly double the armor as the low rank rath set I've been using too which is a bummer cause I don't really want to look like that. Feels like taking a step backwards in order to take one forward, but I understand that's the nature of the game.

Want to post a room? I might be available for a few hunts. Or are you playing with your buddies? If so, that's fine! I'd say that by HR5 or 6, most/all the monsters will be new. Trust me, there will always be variety. If you're not with anyone, feel free to post a room and I'll try to help you out too.

Yeah dude, defense is defense.

In G rank all the armors are reworked regarding physical appearance, so they all look pretty damn awesome.

-Alternis

LiQuid!

Want to post a room? I might be available for a few hunts. Or are you playing with your buddies? If so, that's fine! I'd say that by HR5 or 6, most/all the monsters will be new. Trust me, there will always be variety. If you're not with anyone, feel free to post a room and I'll try to help you out too.

Yeah dude, defense is defense.

In G rank all the armors are reworked regarding physical appearance, so they all look pretty damn awesome.

-Alternis

Sure come on in

18 - 5758 - 4300 - 4607 pw 1379

LiQuid!

I ate some poison food or something and now I'm stumbling all over the gathering hall how do I fix this haha

LiQuid!

Thanks for the hunts Alt! I got a lot of catching up to do with my armor. Probably gonna farm that pink rathian a little bit with my friends and see if we can't put a few sets of his armor together.

Felt pretty good about all the dodging and the few hits I put into that raging whatever-the-hell but then he had to go and one shot me with his lazer... :|

Man the 3DS keyboard sucks so hard. And I didn't have my stylus out so trying to type on that thing with my fingers... just no thank you.

jorgejjvr

Thanks for the hunts Alt! I got a lot of catching up to do with my armor. Probably gonna farm that pink rathian a little bit with my friends and see if we can't put a few sets of his armor together.

Felt pretty good about all the dodging and the few hits I put into that raging whatever-the-hell but then he had to go and one shot me with his lazer... :|

Man the 3DS keyboard sucks so hard. And I didn't have my stylus out so trying to type on that thing with my fingers... just no thank you.

Technically Rathian is a HER.
Rathian is the female counterpart of the Rathalos.
Just like Pink Rathian is the counterpart of the Azure Rathalos.

If you and your friends can survive her, yeah, that's a great armor to start with. Keep in mind she'll be really hard and quite the obstacle without me around. I managed to cut the tail early but if you guys can't cut her tail off, her curved poison tail swipes are deadly. Pink Rathian has been a road block for most GAFers, so be careful.

Yeah, that guy is always angry, quick, and packs a punch. I applaud you for surviving his onslaught, even if it meant staying rather far away.

I usually use my fingernail to type with no stylus.

-Alternis

Wolfe

I usually use my fingernail to type with no stylus.

Bingo. Still can't get over how bad the chat is though lol. Wonder if there was a reason they didn't opt for a voice chat system of some kind, even PTT would have been leagues better than what we got now.

Top Bottom