• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Kater

Banned
Making a room to get another GAFfer Star Knight armour. Come in and join in the fun!

43-5081-2774-1919

Edit:

Closed again. Thanks for anyone who could join!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Is there some way to get abrasive that I don't know about? I heard you get them in expeditions but I did a bunch and never saw even one.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
You can get them from rewards on expeditions and the blue mining spots.

I've been gathering every single node in the entire expedition on like 5 expeditions in a row now and haven't seen one. And you need multiple for each polish. Ugh.

Azure los is... oppressive. Finished it with 0 antidotes, 1 null seed, 1 mega potion left. ugh.

**oh, if anyone's interested, I still need to get to HR7 and don't feel like soloing the hall.

Wolfe

Ok after that last round of disconnects I'm just gonna call it and go get ready for work, if anyone is around after I get back (around midnight pacific time) I'll be opening up another room to try and level these GQ some more.

jorgejjvr

I've been gathering every single node in the entire expedition on like 5 expeditions in a row now and haven't seen one. And you need multiple for each polish. Ugh.

Don't go on expeditions for abrasives and polishing stuff, go on Guild Quests!

If you have noticed, usually when you kill monsters on expeditions and finish the expedition by reaching the wagon, certain quests might pop out. These quests may have monsters that are unique to guild quests like Velicidrome, Yian Kut-Ku, etc.

You can activate these quests by pressing the start menu, going to the second page, and clicking "Guild Quests" and then click manage list. After you've done that, register the quests you want in your quest pool by touching the boxes next to the quests. Once all the quests you want have check marks, touch "register quest" on the touchscreen.

Once you've done that, talk to any of the Gathering Hall ladies and choose the square that says "Guild Quests" to participate in the quests you registered. The higher the level, the harder the quest. Level up the quest enough, and it'll jump ranks.

Guild Quests are the only way to get abrasives and such stuff reliably, and they're also great for getting some rare armor spheres. They also usually reward weapons and armor (and abrasives) upon completion, and the max level Guild Quests (level 140) can drop gear that is far beyond most things you can craft.

-Alternis

Edit: @NormalFish, I'll help!

You won't keep playing?

-Alternis

Oh I figured we were done since you and glitch dipped. I can play some more if you want, though I only needed HR7 for the 6* rajang quest. Wouldn't mind doing a few other quests for weapon materials.
Recreated a room:
11-4032-4722-3881
Pass: 8888
Actually I should do deviljho for the talons...

Kater

Banned
So Urugaan is literally getting bling to make himself more attractive for potential partners.

tumblr_nrwznrJMNj1sc2rhqo1_500.jpg

Is that canon??

Well that was way more productive than I had expected. Thank you (Not sure if those who ended up taking me through those quests are active posters or what) folks a bunch.

jorgejjvr

Well that was way more productive than I had expected. Thank you (Not sure if those who ended up taking me through those quests are active posters or what) folks a bunch.

Are you really uncertain about whether I post often or not?

Sorry that I disappeared after a while, I was having internet connectivity issues, my apologies. What did you end up accomplishing? Like, what did you make/forge/upgrade?

-Alternis

Are you really uncertain about whether I post often or not?

Sorry that I disappeared after a while, I was having internet connectivity issues, my apologies. What did you end up accomplishing? Like, what did you make/forge/upgrade?

-Alternis

I meant those other than you :p

I figured you were having internet issues. I just went along with whatever folks were doing since everything at that point is new to me.

Got my upgraded sentinel blade, deviljho talons, and I'm only the Ukanlos Underscales away from the Daora CB.
Teostra is an experience. damn this is hectic.

jorgejjvr

I meant those other than you :p

I figured you were having internet issues. I just went along with whatever folks were doing since everything at that point is new to me.

Got my upgraded sentinel blade, deviljho talons, and I'm only the Ukanlos Underscales away from the Daora CB.

Ah! Perfect! Have you engaged Rajang or Teostra yet? They were a pain for me in high rank.

-Alternis
Teostra is quick agressive and forward with its approach. :p

Rajang is just no. I mean, over time I've learned to kill him and get better with him but I'd prefer to avoid him what possible. Especially the golden or apex versions and especially in GQ. Not so much for my sake, but most random teammates just cannot deal with his unrelenting attacks (for good reason).

Ah! Perfect! Have you engaged Rajang or Teostra yet? They were a pain for me in high rank.

-Alternis
Teostra is quick agressive and forward with its approach. :p

Rajang is just no. I mean, over time I've learned to kill him and get better with him but I'd prefer to avoid him what possible. Especially the golden or apex versions and especially in GQ. Not so much for my sake, but most random teammates just cannot deal with his unrelenting attacks (for good reason).

Fought a couple rajangs. He didn't seem like a huge issue though 2 geared G-ranks blow him up pretty quick in high rank.

Trying to do Teostra in sp. It's hard. Lots of "Okay, I need to deal with this blast thin-- ohp he killed me from 50%".

jorgejjvr

Fought a couple rajangs. He didn't seem like a huge issue though 2 geared G-ranks blow him up pretty quick in high rank.

Trying to do Teostra in sp. It's hard. Lots of "Okay, I need to deal with this blast thin-- ohp he killed me from 50%".

That's blast damage for you *shrugs*
Never get hit with it when you're affected by it, ever! Use a deodorant or roll three times to get rid of it.

That's why I advise people of lower rank to tell people white higher than then or with better gear to politely scale down, that way you'll be getting the full experience.

Trust me, if you fight Rajang in solo or with hunters who are all HR7 (or with scaled down gear), you'd be having a much more different experience.

He was a nightmare man ;-; he still sort of is!
I can handle it, but the fact that all it takes is one hit to knock your health way down (to the point it does as much as blast damage) and that after one move he's extremely quick and can do super fast follow ups is just horrific.

-Alternis

That's blast damage for you *shrugs*
Never get hit with it when you're affected by it, ever! Use a deodorant or roll three times to get rid of it.

That's why I advise people of lower rank to tell people white higher than then or with better gear to politely scale down, that way you'll be getting the full experience.

Trust me, if you fight Rajang in solo or with hunters who are all HR7 (or with scaled down gear), you'd be having a much more different experience.

He was a nightmare man ;-; he still sort of is!
I can handle it, but the fact that all it takes is one hit to knock your health way down (to the point it does as much as blast damage) and that after one move he's extremely quick and can do super fast follow ups is just horrific.

-Alternis
Yeah, blast damage is rough. I've got brachy figured out well enough that I can avoid attacks when trying to cure blast, but teostra is not so easy.

I think scaling down does make sense, but honestly I was just happy to see the sights, so to speak. I am starting to get a bit burned out on high rank, so doing some monsters I don't have access to just yet and just seeing their attacks is a nice change of pace.

Once I do Rajang in sp I'm sure I'll come whining about how awful it is though, rest assured. :p
Oh, unrelated, but browsing around has really made me want that s.nercylla CB and the chameleos set. Sounds like a ton of fun.

The S.Nercylla CB is bloody amazing and really underappreciated I think, and the Chameleos armor is equally fantastic, although I tend to use it against Kushy only these days.

Built the full Savage Jho armor set and damn. Atk Up XL, Sharpness+1 (thank you Talisman), Razor Sharp, Speed Eating+2, and Divine Blessing. Looks great too.

jorgejjvr

The S.Nercylla CB is bloody amazing and really underappreciated I think, and the Chameleos armor is equally fantastic, although I tend to use it against Kushy only these days.

Built the full Savage Jho armor set and damn. Atk Up XL, Sharpness+1 (thank you Talisman), Razor Sharp, Speed Eating+2, and Divine Blessing. Looks great too.

I wish I had a +7 Tailsman...that's the only way to add Sharpness +1 without removing Razor Sharp.

-Alternis

Edit: If you make the color orange, you look like a walking Halloween nightmare!

jorgejjvr

Yeah, blast damage is rough. I've got brachy figured out well enough that I can avoid attacks when trying to cure blast, but teostra is not so easy.

I think scaling down does make sense, but honestly I was just happy to see the sights, so to speak. I am starting to get a bit burned out on high rank, so doing some monsters I don't have access to just yet and just seeing their attacks is a nice change of pace.

Once I do Rajang in sp I'm sure I'll come whining about how awful it is though, rest assured. :p
Oh, unrelated, but browsing around has really made me want that s.nercylla CB and the chameleos set. Sounds like a ton of fun.

Whenever you feel burned out, you can always come to us to relieve you of the heat, as we can easily level you up or bring variety. Now more then ever, as the two urgent quests needed to get to G rank can prove troublesome with randoms (so is the Urgent to become a G Crown). So please, don't get burned out, you have us to help with that. I'd hate to see a hunter go. However, don't make it so that everyone else is doing everything for you either, once again for the fact that then you won't be experiencing the full experience of the monsters you're hunting (like how you never got to experience the try nightmarish Rajang).

See the sights? What do you mean?

The Shrouded Nerscylla is actually super great offline, especially with the chameleos set as it makes it more potent. You can put monsters to sleep, pull off the 2x damage from the ultra, and if your ultra is lined up right, they will wake up stunned.

Online, however, is different. Still viable, but you're going to need viable teammates and you'll probably have to tell them your intentions before the hunt. Otherwise every monster will awake accidentally. To remedy that, play with GAF, as we know what we're doing XP

Also keep in mind that status weapons don't do as much damage (from my experience) as element weapons. With elemental weapons against the correct monster, you're doing extra damage with every hit. With status weapons, you have either a 33% or 66% chance that your status will build up per hit (I forgot if it was 1/3 or 2/3 chance), and even then you have to reach a threshold to cause damage over time, stop the monster, or put it to sleep. Combined with the fact that the resistances go up, you'll be relying mostly on raw damage, which most status weapons lack. Don't get me wrong, such weapons are still viable but in most situations I found it would've just been best to bring an elemental weapon.

Regarding the Chameleos set, in my opinion, it looks good on paper, but in combat it just doesn't play out in most situations. Sure it gives you Wind Resistance High, but most of your available slots will be taken by hemming in Sharpness +1 and/or HG Earplugs (+12 points in hearing, +4 points in Handicraft is what the full set has). Plus, using it pretty much means you're either using a status (not blast) weapon and nothing else, oftentimes giving you a support role by poisoning, sleeping, or paralyzing (which I find to be most useful). Furthermore, to make full use of one of your skills (Status Critical, which makes you do more status damage if your hit is critical), you'll have to resort to either expert jewels for critical eye or make sure your weapons have positive affinity. I don't know, something about it doesn't play out well in person. It also has heat surge but you can gem it out. I won't stop you from making it, but consider what I've stated. It's just sitting in my item box rusting, and that is when you take into account that it ends up with the same defense as the Star Knight set (which is in my opinion so much more superior in every single way, regarding the built in skills, the fact that it has 11 slots, three of them being OOO and two of them being O, 14 slots with a triple slot charm, and 17 slots with a triple slot weapon, you can practically gem in every single skill you could ever want with the Star Knight set, and the built in skills which are Rodeo God, Challenger +2, and Steady Hand which is mind's eye and razor sharp are among the highest tier skills there are. I mean toppling monsters in less than 10 seconds, having Attack up XL and a 20% affinity boost when a monster is angry plus your attacks NEVER deflecting and your sharpness lasting twice as long? Worth considering), and defense alone doesn't save Grand Mizuha for me.

-Alternis

Whenever you feel burned out, you can always come to us to relieve you of the heat, as we can easily level you up or bring variety. Now more then ever, as the two urgent quests needed to get to G rank can prove troublesome with randoms (so is the Urgent to become a G Crown). So please, don't get burned out, you have us to help with that. I'd hate to see a hunter go. However, don't make it so that everyone else is doing everything for you either, once again for the fact that then you won't be experiencing the full experience of the monsters you're hunting (like how you never got to experience the try nightmarish Rajang).
Yeah, for sure. I'm only really getting burned out on the caravan. in 9* now and things are just becoming a bit dull since I feel a bit limited in my weapon choices (due to needing G-rank parts for many upgrades at this point, or not having access to the high rank monster needed). Also most of the monsters are just upgraded versions of monsters I've already fought, which is a bit dull. Looking forward to some more variety.
See the sights? What do you mean?
Speaking metaphorically. I just mean that the new monsters are something interesting and exotic, given the aforementioned repetition of high rank.
On S.Nercylla and Chameleos set
Yeah, I understand that it's a somewhat one-dimensional set, but honestly it just sounds like something varied and interesting and makes me want to try it out asap.

Additionally, as to the specifics, I think for use with this specific weapon it would be pretty fantastic. As a general set, though, there are of course better offerings. The Star Knight set is definitely more widely applicable.

jorgejjvr

Yeah, for sure. I'm only really getting burned out on the caravan. in 9* now and things are just becoming a bit dull since I feel a bit limited in my weapon choices (due to needing G-rank parts for many upgrades at this point, or not having access to the high rank monster needed). Also most of the monsters are just upgraded versions of monsters I've already fought, which is a bit dull. Looking forward to some more variety.

Speaking metaphorically. I just mean that the new monsters are something interesting and exotic, given the aforementioned repetition of high rank.

Yeah, I understand that it's a somewhat one-dimensional set, but honestly it just sounds like something varied and interesting and makes me want to try it out asap.

Additionally, as to the specifics, I think for use with this specific weapon it would be pretty fantastic. As a general set, though, there are of course better offerings. The Star Knight set is definitely more widely applicable.

Give Caravan a little break then, it seems you played caravan a bit more than online. Trust me, things will become a lot more varied in G rank, and even in high rank. I mean, once you fight Akantor, Dalamadur, and Ukanlos in high rank, I think they'll spices up the variety. Plus when you reach G rank you'll be introduced to a bunch of new monsters as well as new subspecies to add even more variety. Honestly, online (specifically only G rank) is all where it is at. Most of the G rank quests in the caravan are super easy ones, while the hard ones are locked away by quest chains that may take awhile to complete or prove to be frustrating (like talking to the Afro Cat to unlock G rank white monoblos and Furious Rajang, or completing all the high rank caravan quests to unlock one of the only tough caravan quests in my opinion, called the Master's Test, pitting you against an Apex Seregios, Apex Diablos, and Apex Deviljho. Speaking of which, forget the frenzy virus, want to know what happens when a monster overcomes it like you? They become Apex of course! They sport insane amounts of damage and are just extremely deadly in every possible way. The only effective way to handle them is by doing G rank quests in which the client is The Professor to eventually unlock the ability to hold two wystones as well as unlocking two new wystones, one of which letting you penetrate Apex Monster Hide. Without it, every attack, even those with Mind's eye or the switch axe's sword mode, will bounce unless it is on the monster's one apex weak spot. How's that for variety?). Trust me, there's lots of variety, and soon. Even as soon as you beat the first HR7 Urgent Quest, you'll be able to participate on quests with monsters that do around G rank damage, such as the Molten Tigrex, Gold Rathian and Silver Rathalos, The Fatalis, and Golden Rajang!

Oh yeah definitely! The S Nerscylla charge blade and Chameleos set will work really well. It's just that the Chameleos set has its one particular use, and it's hard to adjust it or make it useful in other areas of battle. It has its very particular niche, while other sets might be more broad and open for everyday combat.

-Alternis

I really just want to beat the single player because that feels like the right thing to do and I'm horribly anal about such things.

That aside, if I were to hop online with randoms, would you recommend making my own room or joining someone? What are the things to look for?

One of the advantages of hosting your own room is that you can kick people who are being turds. (Unless they're on a quest, thanks for that, Capcom.)

As for online etiquette, I'd say the two main rules to remember are be prepared for the quest, and don't be a turd. If you're not hosting the room, ask before you put up a quest. Don't be the guy who comes in the room and immediately posts their urgent. Don't be the guy who deliberately ruins mounts for other people.

jorgejjvr

I really just want to beat the single player because that feels like the right thing to do and I'm horribly anal about such things.

That aside, if I were to hop online with randoms, would you recommend making my own room or joining someone? What are the things to look for?

I know how you feel, but you must treat the offline differently than other games. Especially as going through G rank unlocks quests for the campaign. I'm serious, G rank is indeed where it is at. I mean, there are some end game monsters that you can fight offline but can only be unlocked by going far enough in G rank, again like Golden Rajang. I honestly "completed" G rank (Obtaining my golden G crown and fighting pretty much every monster there was to fight) and then completely finished the campaign by doing every quest, high and low, and participating in the new quests I've unlocked, before finally beating the final offline quest, which again, can only be done once you reach far enough into G rank. Besides, without experience with Apex Monsters, you'd be sliced up in seconds attempting the final quest.

I know it sounds hard, but slow down offline and focus online, believe in me.

I usually find myself specifically joining rooms. They can be general rooms without any specific quests but just with people my rank, or a turns room, but I find that if I join such rooms I'll probably do a quest or two before posting my own.

Usually I find myself going rooms that are hunting a specific monster. Either to upgrade gear/forge new weapons and armor, or to simply do a monster to get done with it/just to do it.

For example, if I never fought an Akantor before, I can try to join an Akantor room and fight it just to fight it.

If you're doing key quests and leveling up as fast as possible, just search for the monsters in the key quest, do the quest, and respectfully leave. You may/or may not want to farm a monster after doing it for the first time, and that's fine.

The only times I specifically make a room are for urgents or hosting lobbies for GAF.

-Alternis

Well thank you folks. Perhaps I'll go to pubs for a while to mix things up. Also need to do some expeditions to finally get a GQ with CB bias.

Gaz_RB

Thanks for the help guys, you two whooped ass!

Now that I'm G rank I should start putting some thought into my armor/skills/etc.

Wolfe

I'll be putting up a turns room shortly if anyone is still around and interested in playing.

If anyone here has a Brachy/Tiggy Sub with a CB bias let me know... i want em.

I have a Brachy/Regios GQ I can share with ya that has CB bias.

Edit: Room blew up.

Top Bottom