• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

MHX: Weapon Showcase [GS, LS, SNS, DB] (GH)

Looks stunning. Did they improve some textures a bit, or maybe outlined some stuff? It looks less mushy then in MH4U (playing on a n3DS myself).

I was expecting way more from the different styles than just "classic" and "aerial", to be honest. Didn't they initially announce 3 styles?

Also the thought of having to fight what seems to be the same old rathian again is putting a damper on my excitement for this game. It's great that they're trying to change player mechanics but these older monsters are boring as fuck.

Kater

Banned
The only thing that really annoys me is that Khezu is back in MHX. I really don't like that screaming penis head. (Is to be seen in the MHX Gunlance showcase video that Capcom uploaded yesterday)

Oh, and by the way, GH posted a video with his translations and thoughts on the Hammer & Hunting Horn showcase (MHX).

The aerial style with the Hammer looks really cool, punching down a Wyvern while they try to escape is just so awesome looking.

upandaway

Anyone wanna play?

48-1423-9990-0261 / 1111

Finally gonna start playing again, last test was today morning. I haven't even downloaded Star Knight yet but I really wanted to play a bit.

Samemind

I was expecting way more from the different styles than just "classic" and "aerial", to be honest. Didn't they initially announce 3 styles?

4 styles. This is the standard info-trickle hype-cycle, so expect to see footage of the other 2 styles (one more focused on the Supers, one more technical and focused on counter-attacking after successful dodges)

The latest Gunlance and Lance trailers announce at the end that they're doing a full reveal of all styles in the near future.

4 styles. This is the standard info-trickle hype-cycle, so expect to see footage of the other 2 styles (one more focused on the Supers, one more technical and focused on counter-attacking after successful dodges)

The latest Gunlance and Lance trailers announce at the end that they're doing a full reveal of all styles in the near future.
That gunlance video makes me kinda want to pick up that weapon in MH4U. I keep playing with the CB in this game, and in the previous ones I always used the GS. Gunlance looks fun.

upandaway

Me and Arc are playing here if you wanna, no one joined my last room after Nohar/Lazy left so I closed it

edit: figures the room dies right after i type it here. 52-0422-3022-3346 / 7777

edit 2: full

edit 3: not full

so I've made a new account for the purpose of learning LBG. Anyone mind giving me a few pointers?

Small checklist of things I'm interested in some aid with:

What stats/skills should I be looking in to at low/high rank?

What are some early armors for gunner that are good to invest in?

Any general use tips that're specific to this weapon. I feel I've got a pretty good handle of MonHun on the whole, but I've never properly gunned before so I'd appreciate some tips as to how to approach hunts. Preferably succinctly :p

Kater

Banned
Evasion/Evade Extender is the most important thing starting out, at least for me it was. You might also want to get Element Up.

tuffy

so I've made a new account for the purpose of learning LBG. Anyone mind giving me a few pointers?

Any general use tips that're specific to this weapon. I feel I've got a pretty good handle of MonHun on the whole, but I've never properly gunned before so I'd appreciate some tips as to how to approach hunts. Preferably succinctly :p
The light bowgun's specialty is rapid-fire, which anchors you in place for a moment while you fire off several bullets from a single shot - machine-gun style. Each bullet has slightly reduced strength vs. a non-rapid-fired shot but much greater damage overall if they all hit.

This shot multiplication effect works especially well with elemental shots, since the amount of those you can carry is relatively limited. So I'll try to use guns that exploit a monster's elemental weakness. For instance, Gravios is weak to water, so I'll take the Seltas gun against him since it rapid-fires water shot. Therefore, skills like <Element> Atk +1/2/3 are very good to have. But physical shots aren't bad either, in which case something like Normal Up is a necessity.

However, there's also the Bonus Shot skill which is specifically for light bowgunners. It tacks on an extra shot to every rapid-fire barrage which can really add up. But since it also anchors you in place a little bit longer, it also takes some practice to learn when it's safe to use. Once you hit the end of the story you'll be able to forge Ace/Sororal armor which comes with Bonus Shot and Fleet Feet (Evade Extender + Unscathed combo skill) outright.

As for tactics, bowgunners have an excellent reach both in terms of range and aim. Look up monster weak spots and use the scope trigger to put shots where they'll do the most damage. A little extra time spent targeting can add up to a much shorter hunt overall! But your range isn't infinite, so mind the little camera shake that lets you know when your shots are in optimal range. You shouldn't be super close like the bow guys, but don't be on the far end of the room either.

With the LBG, you'll typically be making use of Rapid Fire, which fires 3-5 shots at the cost of only one ammo. It's especially effective with elemental shots. Because RF keeps you in place while you're shooting, you'll need to watch your positioning. Elemental shots don't have critical distance, but they do fizzle out after a bit. Unlike blade weapons, elemental shots always apply their element, so if you see the element effect, you've hit.

In general, you'll be using the gun that RFs the shot you want to use. Early in the game, I'd look for armor that has Fire/Water/Ice/Thunder Attack Up. Element Attack Up boosts all elements, but it's weaker than the specific elemental skill. Later, once you hit G-rank, you'll look for the skill Bonus Shot, which lets you shoot an additional bullet when you use RF.

Alrighty, thank you guys. Since I just started out I don't have access to rapid fire yet, but I'll be paying attention to that. Might end up making a number of sets for different elements and swapping between them. should be fun.

Wanderer5

Awesome job, thanks for the help, and we got the other guy his special permit too. Gog is pretty fun to fight.

Edit: Lol got the Wartorn Dragonsphire, which seems to be his rare item. Now I tempted to check out his equipment stuff heh.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Destroyer is such a good skill! Nothing I love in this game more than lopping off tails. Finding the switch axe and now destroyer has made me whole as a person.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
More people should use switch axe. It seems like an underrepresented weapon in all the streams I've watched. It's such a good weapon. It has such crazy vertical AND horizontal reach and it's savage as hell on stationary/downed monsters. Once I can use it for aerial attacks in MHX it's actually going to be the GOAT.

LiQuid!

Lance is gonna be my next pick up. I tried it on a couple hunts and was all like *poke* *poke* *poke* "ok well this thing is slow and shitty" but then I watched the Gaijin Hunter for it and realized it's actually legit. I feel like I've played enough SA that I've "mastered" it, not that I'm a great player with it, but I've mastered getting all of its moves out. It will take me a long time to do the same with the lance I think but I think it's a cool looking weapon type (even if its wielded left handed for some dumb reason).

Wanderer5

Blah got DC again with Gog lol, but I stayed this time, and blam dead.XD

I really dig his equipment, even through his awesome looking weapons seem like a bit meh sleeping set.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
anyone have tips for gore magala? i can beat his batman form, but when he goes joker, those explosions manage to take me out

anyone have tips for gore magala? i can beat his batman form, but when he goes joker, those explosions manage to take me out

"stay by his hind legs" I believe is the go-to advice. I generally find Gore is pretty fun because the best way to go at him is being really aggressive and abusing the damage boost from the blight.

**just make sure you're not in his face unless you are 99% sure he's not going to blow you sky high.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Mounting him helps, also hit from behind and the sides. If you can knock him down then go for the face, otherwise it's a dangerzone.

spiritfox

I can see that heh. Really one of the coolest looking sets in the game to me, so I probably make one anyway heh. Sleep status just seems so odd for this guy's weapon set through.

According to an interview, they wanted another endgame sleep weapon set. Not that it works well as a sleep weapon. The horn is cool though.

I can see that heh. Really one of the coolest looking sets in the game to me, so I probably make one anyway heh. Sleep status just seems so odd for this guy's weapon set through.

Would've been nice if he got some unique effect given the ooze he has. a building slowing effect on a monster would be really crazy, if a bit over-the-top.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Would've been nice if he got some unique effect given the ooze he has. a building slowing effect on a monster would be really crazy, if a bit over-the-top.

That would be sick. Like blast, only if you apply enough it traps the monster instead of blowing up.

Anura

I always figured it was sleep because his weapons have a very dark naming schemes/designs and often relate to torture or death. Death being a wake-less sleep in a way.

Still kinda weird if you just consider the monster it came from and not so much the weapons themselves

Wolfe

Yeah the CB video didn't really impress me like the hammer one did for example. Curious to see my opinion after playing it.

As for gog weapons I agree the sleep on them is rather paltry, but on the flip side the raws are fairly high. Tbh the CB and GS are the only ones I really care for the look of lol, the hammer I prolly like the least but I'ma fan of smaller hammer designs.

PKrockin

tbSyZAP.png

tbSyZAP.png

tbSyZAP.png

NSESN

Made a G rank gravios armor , well, almost, i hunted gravios 4 times and no gravios pallium, so i used the desert seltas waist to complete the set

deim0s

Quick question... When a monster "dies" to transition to their frenzied/apex state, do they still take damage while on the ground before waking up?

jorgejjvr

They do, but they can't be killed in that state.

So it's kind of like Gypceros :p

-Alternis
I'm curious as to what happened to the fellow hunters who previously posted anger towards Rajang. What happened, guys?

Don't worry, he has really low HP to make up for everything, and he's really easy once you learn his moves. You kind of have to learn, though, as he has two more variations.

ChrisD

I hated Rajang in Freedom Unite, and I don't care too much for him here. His design is great, his attacks are almost all unique, but his hyper damage schtick from everything (even moving!) gets old really fast. If he wasn't a glass cannon I'd easily consider him one of the most annoying monsters.

Top Bottom