• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Kater

Banned
MHX: Demo Gameplay [08.05.15] (GH)

Ohhh, this is cool.

Apparently they try to balance a lot of things (mountings, hammer, etc).

I like that supportive playstyle is something they include into this game. Will be interesting to see how that plays out, if it will get a lot of use online when this game comes out.

I'm curious as to what happened to the fellow hunters who previously posted anger towards Rajang. What happened, guys?

Don't worry, he has really low HP to make up for everything, and he's really easy once you learn his moves. You kind of have to learn, though, as he has two more variations.
It's mostly just his laser nonsense one-shotting me. .

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Catching up on low rank single player quests with G-rank gear...

F1s20a1.gif

Wanderer5

The moment where you screw up with the demolisher lol. Well think I go make the gog blademaster, and try it with Schwarzschild CB for now (if I got the skills rights, not only will it unlock its paralysis and buff it via Arcana, but with another skill, it also buffs the impact phials a bit).

jorgejjvr

The moment where you screw up with the demolisher lol. Well think I go make the gog blademaster, and try it with Schwarzschild CB for now (if I got the skills rights, not only will it unlock its paralysis and buff it via Arcana, but with another skill, it also buffs the impact phials a bit).

Having the skill Artillery novice and eating for Felyne Bombardier (Meat and dairy, I believe it is the last way of cooking, it is a fixed skill, pretty much guaranteeing you'll get it) will stack and give the effect of Artillery God, which is a massive boost to impact Philly and eating those two foods naturally increase attack, too.

-Alternis

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
How far are you in G rank?

-Alternis

Still only G1. I haven't been focusing on advancing quests because I have 2 friends that are below me and need to catch up. I just spent a bunch of time with a different friend hunting some G-rank monsters for gear, like Chameleos, Kushala and some rathalos to upgrade my axe.

ChrisD

MHX: Demo Gameplay [08.05.15] (GH)

Ohhh, this is cool.

Apparently they try to balance a lot of things (mountings, hammer, etc).

I like that supportive playstyle is something they include into this game. Will be interesting to see how that plays out, if it will get a lot of use online when this game comes out.

It's mostly just his laser nonsense one-shotting me. .

CAPCPOM GIVE WEST INFO

I don't see Support getting much play in random lobbies, that tends to be nothing but maximum aggressive play lol. I'll give it a good shot, but that Aerial Style... I don't think I'll be able to use anything BUT Aerial Style. Aerial Hammers, aerial Charge Blades, aerial Bows! Don't even care about the mounting possibilities, just the thought of flying through the air with any weapon at a (thankfully) much lower altitude and slightly quicker speed than that of the Insect Glaive is enough to make me giddy.

so... is MHX a spinoff or not? there seems to be conflicting impressions on this. GH is always talking about it like it's the next mainline entry, but others talk about it like it's just a spinoff. opinions?

so... is MHX a spinoff or not? there seems to be conflicting impressions on this. GH is always talking about it like it's the next mainline entry, but others talk about it like it's just a spinoff. opinions?

Funny cuz I was going to ask the exact same thing earlier today. Everything about it screams "mainline" I think. When I think of a spin off, I think of something that is totally different from the original thing, and usually it is a smaller project too. This looks like what a MH5 would look like, expanding on the gameplay and such.

Funny cuz I was going to ask the exact same thing earlier today. Everything about it screams "mainline" I think. When I think of a spin off, I think of something that is totally different from the original thing, and usually it is a smaller project too. This looks like what a MH5 would look like, expanding on the gameplay and such.
yeah, this is kind of where I'm at, too.
No, I don't want all of that flashy shit on my MH5.
I agree. I realized yesterday there was actually an effects slider in MH4U, perhaps the same thing will actually be significant in this? Regardless, the special attacks feel a bit omegaforce-y and I'm not sure I like that.

So the real question is.... will there be a G version of this?

tuffy

I think it's clearly aimed at the same audience that buys the mainline games and is meant to be the next annual entry. But there's a lot of little touches designed to differentiate it as a spin-off - like alpacas instead of Poogies. It looks like a chance to experiment with the game design without giving the impression all this new stuff will be permanent.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more popular bits get folded into the main series though, once we find out what those are.
So the real question is.... will there be a G version of this?
Nobody knows at this point. But I still half expect MH5 to launch alongside the 3DS' successor - whenever that arrives. If there's time, they might crank out a MHXG to fill the gap if need be.

Sounds reasonable. I thought the llamas instead of poogies thing was just GH's speculation, though? I admit it seems likely but idk.

Unrelated: my LBG journey is progressing well. Just beat tetsucabra. Feels like this weapon does a million damage but maybe I'm just used to high/G rank monsters.

Wanderer5

Having the skill Artillery novice and eating for Felyne Bombardier (Meat and dairy, I believe it is the last way of cooking, it is a fixed skill, pretty much guaranteeing you'll get it) will stack and give the effect of Artillery God, which is a massive boost to impact Philly and eating those two foods naturally increase attack, too.

-Alternis

It actually the second to last way of cooking (stew). Thanks for that heads up, I definitely consider it with this set.

It actually the second to last way of cooking (stew). Thanks for that heads up, I definitely consider it with this set.

I used artillery in the beginning of high rank and found that artillery God was so easy to get that being able to eat for resistances or something was useful enough to make it worth it. I don't think it's better, but if you have the spare slots it's nice.

Wanderer5

I used artillery in the beginning of high rank and found that artillery God was so easy to get that being able to eat for resistances or something was useful enough to make it worth it. I don't think it's better, but if you have the spare slots it's nice.

I actually do have some slots to fill still. Considering Gog's armor bad resistance of dragon and fire, that might be something to keep in mind of too heh (or maybe I should just avoid fire and dragon based with this set. Food res doesn't see to do much :p).

Wynnebeck

Banned
Fuck Najarala. I mean I beat it on my first try, but the whole giant snake thing made me angry how it kept circling me. How close am I to the end of the game so I can get to the real meat and potatoes?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So I barely played MH 1st or 2nd generation but played a lot of 3rd generation and it amazes me some of the monsters they put in low rank story mode this time around.

jorgejjvr

Still doing storyline quests and 1-4* quests so Low Rank.

Hmm...many would say that G rank (Specifically G3 or G Crown, basically endgame) is where all the huge fun is at. However, I say high rank is really fun and nice too. I mean, frankly in the caravan the first high rank quest and monster beat me up a lot. You start seeing a lot new monsters and subspecies in high rank. So specifically, I would say whenever you start seeing things like Brachydios or subspecies of hard monsters like Tigrex. Either that, or whenever you see Deviljho or Rajang.

I highly recommend you do offline and online equally, making it so that you're caught up online (fighting all the monsters you've seen offline).

Of course, that's your choice.

-Alternis

Wynnebeck

Banned
Hmm...many would say that G rank (Specifically G3 or G Crown, basically endgame) is where all the huge fun is at. However, I say high rank is really fun and nice too. I mean, frankly in the caravan the first high rank quest and monster beat me up a lot. You start seeing a lot new monsters and subspecies in high rank. So specifically, I would say whenever you start seeing things like Brachydios or subspecies of hard monsters like Tigrex. Either that, or whenever you see Deviljho or Rajang.

I highly recommend you do offline and online equally, making it so that you're caught up online (fighting all the monsters you've seen offline).

Of course, that's your choice.

-Alternis

I think I misspoke. I meant how close am I done to the storyline missions of the game so I can go back and do the rest of the Low Rank missions and start doing High Rank and Guild quests? I'm about to go hunt Gore Magala so I believe the "story" ends after this mission.

jorgejjvr

I think I misspoke. I meant how close am I done to the storyline missions of the game so I can go back and do the rest of the Low Rank missions and start doing High Rank and Guild quests? I'm about to go hunt Gore Magala so I believe the "story" ends after this mission.

Oh, in that case you're super far from the story. The story technically "ends" at the caravan 9* (9 star quests). However, you see, 7*-9* are caravan quests, yet they're also high rank. So you're really far away. In fact, even after you beat the story you still unlock more quests by playing online. In fact, eventually by G rank you'll have unlocked special caravan quests which are also G rank! It's crazy! Plus, the super incredibly hard caravan quests are 10* quests, which are quite insane. Most G rank quests are 10*, but not all G rank quests are and not all 10* quests are G rank. Keep in mind that completing all low rank caravan quests will reward you with a super hard quests with damage that high rank users will have trouble with, while completing all high rank caravan quests will do the same and reward you a hard quests, except with damage that G rank users find troublesome.

You do realize that there's something higher than high rank, right? It's called G rank. There are sadly very few G rank quests in caravan, which you only really unlock by progressing through online G rank yourself. The full G rank experience is online though, as the monsters have less HP offline and online there are a lot more monsters to fight.

Also, the Guild Quests you mah have been hearing a lot about are the maxed out level 140 guild quests, which are Ultra G rank. Where everything one shots you. At these levels, 700+ defense is okay/good, 800+ is super good and protects you from a lot, 900+ defense protects from most one shots and 1000+ defense (usually obtained from Hunying Horn users) can ensure you practically don't die in one shot. Trust me, if you beat the official story ending, it'll suck because you'll have high rank hear and will need to catch up on the online that you may or may not be neglecting. Like I said, trust me, play them both equally so as to not burn out and to ensure when you finish one, the other wont be incredibly easy. That is optimal.

-Alternis

ChrisD

Fuck Najarala. I mean I beat it on my first try, but the whole giant snake thing made me angry how it kept circling me. How close am I to the end of the game so I can get to the real meat and potatoes?

Najarala is aight.
Then G-Rank throws a sub-species at you that manages to be more annoying than Najarala in most every way possible.

You're not too far from High Rank if memory serves correctly. That's where I'd say the game really opens up, since there's a lot more monster variety, armor skills can actually be played with, and good talismans can be found.

G-Rank is a continuation of High more-so than it is the "beginning" if you ask me.

Edit: WAIT, Alternis is right. You've got a bit more to go. High Rank in the Village starts at HR7. I thought it was HR6 for some reason. If you just do Key Quests (you can look them up on the Wikia) things won't be too slow.

Edit: WAIT, Alternis is right. You've got a bit more to go. High Rank in the Village starts at HR7. I thought it was HR6 for some reason. If you just do Key Quests (you can look them up on the Wikia) things won't be too slow.

There are a number of high rank monsters in HR6 quests (which I believe is a hold over from MH4 vanilla), so I made that mistake a number of times as well.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Ok so the "story" missions don't end for quite a while? That's ok. I've been rocking sets between Rhenoplos and Jaggi with a Ludroth Bone Sword (Greatsword) so I guess it must be time to craft a new set?

jorgejjvr

Ok so the "story" missions don't end for quite a while? That's ok. I've been rocking sets between Rhenoplos and Jaggi with a Ludroth Bone Sword (Greatsword) so I guess it must be time to craft a new set?

Honestly by the time the story is over you'll probably have made many sets :p

-Alternis

xSL4INx

Yeah so Gore Magala just fucked my world up. What's a good set for him? I used Jaggi set and got steamrolled.

Tetsucabra is a pretty decent set for low rank. Has decent defense and gets health +20 and speed sharpening. Just upgrade it as you go along and use that until you get into high rank.

LiQuid!

Did a little farming and got the Chameleos switch axe and it's so good!

tuffy

LBG

This is amazing. That dodge super. That aerial shooting. I need.
This is relevant to my interests.

Looks like LBGs are getting in on Wyvern Fire too now. The pause between rapid-fire shots is super short, though I don't know if that's on a per-shot basis, a per-style basis, or if they'll all be that way. It also looks like he's rapid-firing 5 normal lv. 1 shots, which looks impressive but is probably still useless.

CB folks, question here: should I go for the Rathian Elemental CB or the Rathalos Impact CB? I see online a lot of people saying Rathian, but the Rathalos looks so cool lol.

jorgejjvr

CB folks, question here: should I go for the Rathian Elemental CB or the Rathalos Impact CB? I see online a lot of people saying Rathian, but the Rathalos looks so cool lol.

It all depends on whether you prefer elemental charge blades or impact charge blades. Rathian is elemental, and of course by the time you finish upgrading it you'll have a lot of elemental damage with relatively low damage (420 fire, 936 raw). Of course, as stated, elemental is all about getting those huge bursts on monster weak spots (for the most part). Meanwhile, the Rathalos charge blade is an impact charge blade, and as such, it usually has more attack and less elemental damage (as most impact charge blades do). In the end, the final version of the Rathalos charge blade ends up with 972 raw damage (it may look like a small change from 936, but factoring true raw, that is actually a sizable and definitely noticeable difference) and 320 fire elemental damage, which isn't too much of a decrease. Meanwhile, impact charge blades are general purpose all around, as their phials generally do a lot of damage and phial damage can be improved with the artillery skill (which works on all impact phials regardless of elements, whereas elemental phials must be upgraded with [Insert Element Here] Attack +1/2/3). Plus, impact phial charge blades do a lot of stun damage and they do it quick too. When a monster is down, using either the double or triple bursts repeatedly almost always KO's the monster.

Also, some extra info about those weapons:
-The final rathian CB has 0% affinity, 2 slots.
-The final Rathalos CB has 20% affinity, no slots.

This is all assuming you make the final rathian Fire CB, and not the poison one (midway through upgrading it, the upgrade paths split and you must make a choice).

I hope I helped!
Happy Hunting!

-Alternis

It all depends on whether you prefer elemental charge blades or impact charge blades. Rathian is elemental, and of course by the time you finish upgrading it you'll have a lot of elemental damage with relatively low damage (420 fire, 936 raw). Of course, as stated, elemental is all about getting those huge bursts on monster weak spots (for the most part). Meanwhile, the Rathalos charge blade is an impact charge blade, and as such, it usually has more attack and less elemental damage (as most impact charge blades do). In the end, the final version of the Rathalos charge blade ends up with 972 raw damage (it may look like a small change from 936, but factoring true raw, that is actually a sizable and definitely noticeable difference) and 320 fire elemental damage, which isn't too much of a decrease. Meanwhile, impact charge blades are general purpose all around, as their phials generally do a lot of damage and phial damage can be improved with the artillery skill (which works on all impact phials regardless of elements, whereas elemental phials must be upgraded with [Insert Element Here] Attack +1/2/3). Plus, impact phial charge blades do a lot of stun damage and they do it quick too. When a monster is down, using either the double or triple bursts repeatedly almost always KO's the monster.

Also, some extra info about those weapons:
-The final rathian CB has 0% affinity, 2 slots.
-The final Rathalos CB has 20% affinity, no slots.

This is all assuming you make the final rathian Fire CB, and not the poison one (midway through upgrading it, the upgrade paths split and you must make a choice).

I hope I helped!
Happy Hunting!

-Alternis
Both seem to be good in their own way but I'd find it pointless to have both. I'm leaning towards the Elemental one to do just that, Elemental damage. In terms of Raw Impact power there seem to be other options that don't have the fire element in them, but do a better job at inflicting raw Impact DPS. You think it's a good decision? Or should I go for the Rathalos instead? You guys have way more experience with the game than I do. I'm torn and both of these are each missing one rare piece so if I grind, I'd rather not do it twice for a weapon of the same element :p

jorgejjvr

Both seem to be good in their own way but I'd find it pointless to have both. I'm leaning towards the Elemental one to do just that, Elemental damage. In terms of Raw Impact power there seem to be other options that don't have the fire element in them, but do a better job at inflicting raw Impact DPS. You think it's a good decision? Or should I go for the Rathalos instead? You guys have way more experience with the game than I do. I'm torn and both of these are each missing one rare piece so if I grind, I'd rather not do it twice for a weapon of the same element :p

It's your choice man, and how you make your armor sets and skills. I personally have both, but yeah, until I made it to G rank all I used was elemental charge blade (except dragon, but we're getting an elemental dragon charge blade soon in terms of Fatalis). What I would do is specifically hit my phial explosions in areas I know are weak (especially to element), like Rathalos' head or Teostra's back legs. So yeah dude, I say for for whatever suits you best. However, keep in mind the strongest charge blades do have elements, like Ceadues Regalia, with 1080 raw damage and 310 water damage.

The major deciding factor in my opinion is the armor/set you use. Although frankly it seems most GAFers lean towards impact phials for since you can easily increase their damage and have the benefit of KO, but that's your choice.

For example, I have two sets. One I use for elemental blades and one I use for impact blades.

For impact, I have the following skills:

Challenger +2 (Attack up XL and Critical Eye +3 when a monster is angry)

Artillery Novice (I also eat for Felyne Bombardier so it stacks to get Artillery God).

Honed Blade (Attack up L and Sharpness +1)

Razor Sharp

Element Attack Up

For elemental charge blades, I use a basic all around set:

Mind's Eye
Sharpness +1
Weakness Exploit (for them weak spots)
Speed Sharpening
Tremor Resistance
Critical Eye +1
(Any other five slot skill)

As you can see, it all depends on what you make of everything and personal preference.

If you want elemental, go elemental, if you want impact, go impact :p

-Alternis

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I just farm Mountain Rescue. Killing 8 Ioprey for the sub quest is no problem and I can just use my standard farming set.

It's your choice man, and how you make your armor sets and skills. I personally have both, but yeah, until I made it to G rank all I used was elemental charge blade (except dragon, but we're getting an elemental dragon charge blade soon in terms of Fatalis). What I would do is specifically hit my phial explosions in areas I know are weak (especially to element), like Rathalos' head or Teostra's back legs. So yeah dude, I say for for whatever suits you best. However, keep in mind the strongest charge blades do have elements, like Ceadues Regalia, with 1080 raw damage and 310 water damage.

The major deciding factor in my opinion is the armor/set you use. Although frankly it seems most GAFers lean towards impact phials for since you can easily increase their damage and have the benefit of KO, but that's your choice.

For example, I have two sets. One I use for elemental blades and one I use for impact blades.

For impact, I have the following skills:

Challenger +2 (Attack up XL and Critical Eye +3 when a monster is angry)

Artillery Novice (I also eat for Felyne Bombardier so it stacks to get Artillery God).

Honed Blade (Attack up L and Sharpness +1)

Razor Sharp

Element Attack Up

For elemental charge blades, I use a basic all around set:

Mind's Eye
Sharpness +1
Weakness Exploit (for them weak spots)
Speed Sharpening
Tremor Resistance
Critical Eye +1
(Any other five slot skill)

As you can see, it all depends on what you make of everything and personal preference.

If you want elemental, go elemental, if you want impact, go impact :p

-Alternis

I see thanks for the explanation. I do kinda have a soft spot for the design of the Rathalos blade, and as a "novice" it sounds like sticking mostly to impact would be the best way to go, since I wont have to worry as much. Both blades seem to be good, and their upgrades too so i wont lose much for choosing one over the other. Rathalos it is. Now to get the 4% drop rate Rathalos Plate lol...

jorgejjvr

I see thanks for the explanation. I do kinda have a soft spot for the design of the Rathalos blade, and as a "novice" it sounds like sticking mostly to impact would be the best way to go, since I wont have to worry as much. Both blades seem to be good, and their upgrades too so i wont lose much for choosing one over the other. Rathalos it is. Now to get the 4% drop rate Rathalos Plate lol...

Shall we hunt together?

-Alternis

Kecha Wacha is like 10x more difficult as a gunner. That glide thing is so broken.

**Also I had forgotten how obnoxious the ace commander or whatever is pre high rank.

Yeah still pretty low rank so I don't think there will be many interested in joining, but I'm putting a room up without any pass codes for some Rathalos beatings.

ID: 25-8214-5526-5147

Top Bottom