• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

wiibomb

Does anyone happen to have a Gore Magala Guild Quest with Bow/Bowgun bias, please?

I've been looking for one but still nothing

tuffy

Kecha Wacha is like 10x more difficult as a gunner. That glide thing is so broken.
Kecha's a lot like Seltas or Lagombi in that his charges are the main thing to worry about when gunning him. His jumping back before gliding forward is a pretty big tell, but it comes out fast and it's easy to overcommit when shooting him head-on because his head's such a juicy target. But if I back off a little, I can dodge to the sides and he'll wind up sticking his claws into the ground when missing. Then I can punish him with some easy shots.

Given a little practice I'm sure you'll be dominating him soon enough.

Shengar

Is it just me or pierce shot is absolute unusable on Zinogre? I just never feel the shot connecting unless I shoot their head.

tuffy

Is it just me or pierce shot is absolute unusable on Zinogre? I just never feel the shot connecting unless I shoot their head.
It wouldn't be my first choice, that's for sure. His head's a 70(!), most everything else is 25-35, and he's not really shaped to get lots of piece hits in a row. I prefer to put normal shots to his horn instead.

Shengar

It wouldn't be my first choice, that's for sure. His head's a 70(!), most everything else is 25-35, and he's not really shaped to get lots of piece hits in a row. I prefer to put normal shots to his horn instead.

The problem is Zinogre moves around a lot and it's really hard to aim their head if they're not pinned down with traps, mounted, or paralyze.

jercruz

So, I've got this 'vanilla' setup for dealing with 140 rajang...

HG earplugs
Honed Blade
Critical Draw

I also switch between Daoru GS and Cera. All attack honed.

I've also taken down a 140 rajang with 2 of my felynes offline.

So I joined a room, I think 'invictus' was his name. Told me to 'fix my armour', and when I asked what's wrong he just said 'everything'. I just shrugged off and left.

So GAF, what is the 'acceptable' GS setup to take down a 140 rajang?

tuffy

The problem is Zinogre moves around a lot and it's really hard to aim their head if they're not pinned down with traps, mounted, or paralyze.
But Zinogre does like to stand around a lot charging his batteries, so I like to get in front of him and squeeze in as many headshots as I can. But when he really gets on a roll and I can't find a good angle, I'll sometimes just settle for shooting out his back legs for a trip so that I can get back to work on his horn.

jorgejjvr

HG earplugs
Honed Blade
Critical Draw

So I joined a room, I think 'invictus' was his name. Told me to 'fix my armour', and when I asked what's wrong he just said 'everything'. I just shrugged off and left.

It's not a bad set up. He was probably just fixed on the preconception that you need tremor resistance against Rajang.

Though frankly, is that the best set you have (at least for Rajang)?

I mean, he doesn't roar that much, and even when he does, all his roars are low grade (unless he roars while mounting). I'm not going to lie though, I also use HG Earplugs, but that's because the set I use for my weapon choice (IG) is absolutely amazing for each and every monster, and thus I don't really require specialization. However, I feel I don't really need earplugs, they're just there so monsters don't interrupt me. I can do fine without them though. Perhaps you should consider such a set, a set that is so good that you can defeat any monster with ease (not saying that you don't).

Honed Blade and Critical Draw are nice though, so I'll say that's not too bad. Although I hear Sharpness +1 isn't as big a deal on GS, but I may be wrong.

My guess is that perhaps he was just considering your lack of overall skills. All he saw were three skills (4 actually, as one skill is actually 2), and maybe he's just prone to the general GS skill bias (most people consider critical draw, punishing draw, quick sheathe, focus, and sheathe control mandatory or high priority skills for GS, and you only have one of them).

It's a great all around set, I'll give you that, but it's not really a set specifically for ONLY Rajang. There is a chance the other GS skills I previously mentioned may or may not increase your DPS or kill times (depending on how you play).

Through my eyes, I don't judge people on skills or HR, but by performance. People tend to think GS users should only use skills that effect GS, and though there is reason to that, it isn't a deal breaker. At least you have skills, and rather good ones. In the end, you can't avoid people like that, but just keep being you and doing what is comfortable and effective for you while making sure you're an asset to your team.

Props on soloing a 140, not many can do that.

-Alternis
@Names2hard

Ah, it seems the room is full. Oh well :p

Have fun and happy hunting!

jorgejjvr

Thanks a lot for the input! At least I know it's alright.

I do have other configs, but generally I just like to keep it simple. You are right it's not an anti-rajang set, but it's something i just wear as a 'default' set.

That's perfectly fine! My default set has HG Earplugs as well as offensive skills like Challenger +2, Steady Hand, and Sharpness +1 (with Rodeo God for easy mounts) to make a killer all around set.

From my experience, people either accept two things:

-An all around set consisting of a multitude of offensive skills across the board
-A set specifically designed for handling a monster (in terms of exploiting the weaknesses and nullifying the strengths).

In both of these cases, if you have a certain weapon, most people expect you to have "mandatory skills" and if you don't have them, they might immediately think you're no good (even though this is absurd).

Such examples include Maestro for the Hunting Horn, as well as Focus, Critical Draw, and Quick sheathe for GS. Evade extender for SA is also somewhat seen as needed. Stuff like that.

Pick your poison, I suppose.

Though maybe you'll be lucky enough to meet people who aren't picky and judgmental about skills.

-Alternis

But Zinogre does like to stand around a lot charging his batteries, so I like to get in front of him and squeeze in as many headshots as I can. But when he really gets on a roll and I can't find a good angle, I'll sometimes just settle for shooting out his back legs for a trip so that I can get back to work on his horn.

I'd say that advice is pretty much zinogre in a nutshell. Regardless of weapon.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Sorry I couldn't stick around for some rath farming n2h, but the Dota games had just ended and I hadn't eaten in sooooo long! Good hunts tho, grats on HR4!

Was Ross from GAF or just a random passerby in the hall? I'm glad to finally have some GAFers on my friend list but I'd rather not just have random guys I meet online on there and have been declining all the requests I've gotten from them.

Anyone interested in grinding out HR1-4 with me on my gunner? Don't want to make names do those again, and I'm just looking to breeze through them.

After that, probably want to farm some zinogre for the LBG and narga armor.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Anyone interested in grinding out HR1-4 with me on my gunner? Don't want to make names do those again, and I'm just looking to breeze through them.

You got a room open? I'll come do whatever you just said.

LiQuid!

Make a room LiQuid!

I want to show you something in particular, if you don't mind...

-Alternis

Ok, but if Fish wants to do some ranking up I wanna go help out!

ed: just made a public hall

32-4614-7473-8164

Sorry I couldn't stick around for some rath farming n2h, but the Dota games had just ended and I hadn't eaten in sooooo long! Good hunts tho, grats on HR4!

Was Ross from GAF or just a random passerby in the hall? I'm glad to finally have some GAFers on my friend list but I'd rather not just have random guys I meet online on there and have been declining all the requests I've gotten from them.
Thanks for all the help! To you and Alternis, those plates didn't drop but I still hold some hope lol! I think Ross was either a random, or a lurker here.

I just got to HR4 myself thanks to some fine folks that were way above my level and had the patience to take me through it and grind Rathalos earlier.

jorgejjvr

Ok, but if Fish wants to do some ranking up I wanna go help out!

Alright. I'm just interested in showing you one quest, and afterwards I'll help Fish for a bit (perhaps one or two rank ups, as it is late).

-Alternis
@Names2hard4you

Well, what you didn't gain in plates, I hope you gained in weapon knowledge!

LiQuid!

Thanks for all the help! To you and Alternis, those plates didn't drop but I still hold some hope lol! I think Ross was either a random, or a lurker here.

Ok, I just got another FR from someone named Collen too when I went back into your hall just now. If either of those guys are GAFers go ahead and speak up here, otherwise I'll excise em both from the list tomorrow. Don't need no randoms muckin up my list.

@Names2hard4you

Well, what you didn't gain in plates, I hope you gained in weapon knowledge!
Certainly did, thank you. Those moves are going to be put to very good use.

Ok, I just got another FR from someone named Collen too when I went back into your hall just now. If either of those guys are GAFers go ahead and speak up here, otherwise I'll excise em both from the list tomorrow. Don't need no randoms muckin up my list.
Might have been another random, the hall was open to everyone since I didn't expect a lot of Gaffers to want to grind such a low level quest lol. After more of us joined I kinda forgot to put a passcode on it.

jorgejjvr

Certainly did, thank you. Those moves are going to be put to very good use.

Might have been another random, the hall was open to everyone since I didn't expect a lot of Gaffers to want to grind such a low level quest lol. After more of us joined I kinda forgot to put a passcode on it.

I'm glad I could help :D

-Alternis

LiQuid!

Nice hunt Alternis. You saved me from triple carting! That 2nd fight when I had properly eaten for resist I had the hang of that guy but both of the times I died it was because my superman dives TOTALLY failed me and I rolled into his lasers like a noob!

jorgejjvr

Nice hunt Alternis. You saved me from triple carting! That 2nd fight when I had properly eaten for resist I had the hang of that guy but both of the times I died it was because my superman dives TOTALLY failed me and I rolled into his lasers like a noob!

Indeed! Nice hunts! I just wanted you to experience something new and difficult even though it's high rank. I hope you had fun! Keep in mind he makes like the best dragon weapons. I'm actually a little embarrassed myself considering I took some damage from his body slam and then got nuked, making me faint xP

Oh well, in the end we got him! I hope you enjoyed!

-Alternis

LiQuid!

Fish, did you start a 2nd character to play as a gunner? I couldn't imagine doing that. I've just been doing both on one character. I love played games that let you do everything as a single character solely as a single character (like FF14).

Fish, did you start a 2nd character to play as a gunner? I couldn't imagine doing that. I've just been doing both on one character. I love played games that let you do everything as a single character solely as a single character (like FF14).

Yeah, I did. I think it's the best way to really learn a new weapon, and since I'm totally changing the class of weapon I'm playing, I decided to start a new character. Also I have alt-fever in all games with multiplayer and character creation so...
Oh, to anyone interested: room has a slot atm

LiQuid!

Every single random player that I have seen in any of our rooms tonight has sent me a friend request. Why do people do this? Why do people that don't know me want to be my friend? I'll take your guild card. I don't want your friend code.

Every single random player that I have seen in any of our rooms tonight has sent me a friend request. Why do people do this? Why do people that don't know me want to be my friend? I'll take your guild card. I don't want your friend code.

lol. They're entertaining in a funny sorta way, assuming they are just randoms.

Quick note: you should crouch before you carve or gather something other than a rock/bug node. It gives you a shorter animation. Generally doesn't matter much, but it's a good habit and some of the big baddies require it to get all the carves.

Regardless, thanks for hunts. I need SOOOO many shells for this set and I got pretty underwhelming RNG for them, so I've got another 9 to go.

If anyone is up for some low rank zinogre (and potentially khezu) let me know, and I'll make a room!

KingBroly

Banned
So I can now hire 2 Palicoes...

The only problem is I don't know how to change their equipment because it's been so long since I did anything with them.

I'm also HR7, but after the quest was done I got a communication error so I couldn't help the other 2 get to it as well :(

LiQuid!

lol. They're entertaining in a funny sorta way, assuming they are just randoms.

Quick note: you should crouch before you carve or gather something other than a rock/bug node. It gives you a shorter animation. Generally doesn't matter much, but it's a good habit and some of the big baddies require it to get all the carves.

Regardless, thanks for hunts. I need SOOOO many shells for this set and I got pretty underwhelming RNG for them, so I've got another 9 to go.

If anyone is up for some low rank zinogre (and potentially khezu) let me know, and I'll make a room!

I know about the crouching thing, it just never matters on like 90% of hunts and I always forgot until about carve 3 or 4 when I'm cutting large monsters with 6+ carves. I'd do it instinctively every time I carved but I'm always afraid I will roll like a dipshit while I'm approaching the carcass.

Good luck gettin the rest of the mats together. Silly that you don't have enough shells after all those times we smoked him.

I know about the crouching thing, it just never matters on like 90% of hunts and I always forgot until about carve 3 or 4 when I'm cutting large monsters with 6+ carves. I'd do it instinctively every time I carved but I'm always afraid I will roll like a dipshit while I'm approaching the carcass.

Good luck gettin the rest of the mats together. Silly that you don't have enough shells after all those times we smoked him.

Yeah, I roll like a dipshit with regularity. As long as you know lol.

I need 19 for weapon + armor so.... yeah. lol.

Prototype

HG earplugs
Honed Blade
Critical Draw

My default GS set is
Crit draw
Focus
HG ears
Quick sheathe

I use this for pretty much everything in the game and have never had issues. I switch out quick sheath for tremor res for Jho and Rajang. I have a perfect GS so I don't need sharpness +1 on any of my sets.

Imo, your set is fine.

Your skill > your armor skill

tuffy

I just looked at the Absolute Bowgun and it seems to be like one of the best LBGs in the game from the ones you can craft and that I know of. Exciting.
It's a weapon that looks pretty awesome on paper at first glance because it has a lot of attack power and rapid-fires the 4 main elemental shots. But its elemental clip sizes are small, it's rare to need multiple elements in a hunt, and there's usually better options for single element weapons. Like if I need ice shots, I'm better served by the Eldaora's Hornet, or if I need thunder shots the Demonlord Cannon is preferable, and so on.

I love how it looks, though.

Grudy

Newbie question: I'm up to caravan 3 and I just got another egg quest, along with the some crystal item quest. Do I have to do these :l They are so, so tedious especially the egg ones. I don't want to be missing out on anything though.

Any way to do them online with pugs?

tuffy

Newbie question: I'm up to caravan 3 and I just got another egg quest, along with the some crystal item quest. Do I have to do these :l They are so, so tedious especially the egg ones. I don't want to be missing out on anything though.

Any way to do them online with pugs?
The bad news is that you'll have to do all the Caravan egg-carrying quests solo.

The good news is that they're optional quests. Doing them all for completionism opens up some nonessential stuff, but they're not something you need to tackle right away.

Kater

Banned
It's a weapon that looks pretty awesome on paper at first glance because it has a lot of attack power and rapid-fires the 4 main elemental shots. But its elemental clip sizes are small, it's rare to need multiple elements in a hunt, and there's usually better options for single element weapons. Like if I need ice shots, I'm better served by the Eldaora's Hornet, or if I need thunder shots the Demonlord Cannon is preferable, and so on.

I love how it looks, though.
What if you need a weapon for multi-monster quests?

And yeah, I think it looks great too.

deim0s

Opened room for white fatalis

01-5892-4989-1030 / 7777

edit: wrong code, fixed

I'll join.

Just finished my solo run:

Dsil7Hq.jpg

Top Bottom