• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Wolfe

Edit: Thanks guys! Was a lot of fun. Got the rares needed for the armor (plus a additional Seregios Lens), so that good.

Still need 2 Immenseness Ticket S to complete the Star Knight armor, so probably work on that later this weekend.

Try the S. Nercylla Metroid quest or the Apex Diablos event quest (FF armor) as both seem to have a decent drop rate on the Immenseness S tickets.

Tell me when there's a spot available.

Will do.

Nah I am going to have to solo this. Everyone I play with either doesn't know how to capture, or kills the guy. "Ending with subquest" doesn't give you the credit. Ughhh.

On low rank captures aren't too bad. Just gotta look for the limp. Assuming your gear is around the same level, there's very little chance of you accidentally killing it so just go hard.

jorgejjvr

On low rank captures aren't too bad. Just gotta look for the limp. Assuming your gear is around the same level, there's very little chance of you accidentally killing it so just go hard.

I apologize, but can anyone legitamately tell when a Najarala or Nerscylla limps?

-Alternis

I apologize, but can anyone legitamately tell when a Najarala or Nerscylla limps?

-Alternis

Hm... I'm not sure I can picture Najarala's right now, but I'd recognize it when I see it. Chilling beak was trolling me back when I got that armor so I did a decent number of captures. Nerscylla I don't think is too bad, but it always kinda looks wonky.

Wanderer5

Is the Seregios armor good for gunner just wondering? I might dip into one of the bowguns, and that additional lens might be a good opportunity.

xSL4INx

Running level 130+ Teostra GQ, gives LS and GS if anyone wants in. Have 1 spot open at the moment.

27-0970-5946-4882

IGN is SL4IN

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Oh man I almost had an OCD meltdown today. After dozens of hours of playing MonHun and meticulously organizing my equipment box I accidentally auto sorted it while I was messing around at the forge.

The automatic sorting of the equipment box actually really stresses me out in this game. I hate how it lumps all the gear together by slot instead of by set. I wish the equipment and talismans were kept in separate storage so I could auto sort the infinite talismans I have while keeping my weapons and armor sorted like a civilized god damned human being.

Anyways, a few days ago when I was farming pink rathians for its set, there was a friend of mine who was getting all the drops I needed when he didn't even care about the set I was trying so hard to build. Today the tables turned so hard when we were doing azure rathalos. I already had the full azure rath blademaster set but I kept getting ruby after ruby and plate after plate dropping. At one time I got 2 rubies from a non-capture reward, which according to that database with all the drop rates means I got a 4% drop and a 1% drop from the same encounter.

I ended up making the azure rath gunner set for yuks and I'm back on a bow kick. I'm having such a hard time coming to grips with the fact that almost every monster kills a gunner in 2-3 hits MAX. I even sink like 5-6 levels worth of armor spheres into the gunner armor trying to get my defense up as far as I can but it never helps. They're just so damn squishy. It's bad enough when I'm playing with 3 other people and a monster decides to pick on me, but trying to solo with the bow for higher level stuff is so damn hard. I don't know how anybody full times it as a gunner in this game.

ChrisD

Gunning always looks so easy unless you're the one doing it. I only bring out the Bow/Bowgun for Gravios because it's such a different mindset from blademaster weapons.

I was just looking at a Guild Quest chart and it says killing Desert Seltas on an expedition gets you a chance at a Chameleos Guild Quest. Can I still get the Chameleos quest even if I've not reached him in G3 yet? My brother and I both want to fight him, but there's so many armor sets to make that forward progress doesn't look like it will be happening soon.

Elija2

When someone ends via subquest, does the game give you a different message than the one you get when someone disconnects/leaves the quest? Because I was just in a quest where the two other people I was with left at the same time and I thought I disconnected but they were still in the room.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Gunning always looks so easy unless you're the one doing it. I only bring out the Bow/Bowgun for Gravios because it's such a different mindset from blademaster weapons.

I was just looking at a Guild Quest chart and it says killing Desert Seltas on an expedition gets you a chance at a Chameleos Guild Quest. Can I still get the Chameleos quest even if I've not reached him in G3 yet? My brother and I both want to fight him, but there's so many armor sets to make that forward progress doesn't look like it will be happening soon.

When I very first started this game I had the idea that I would use a bow because I like bows in games and because I felt like it would spur me to play more multiplayer than singleplayer, since I figured it would be easier to main a bow with 3 melee guys up front tanking the monster. Sounded good on paper. In practice, however, monster agro patterns seem totally random and they tend to tunnel vision on me a lot. It's never just one attack then they leave me alone. I get chain combo'd by monsters SO often. It leads to at least 80% of my deaths. I get hit, before I can even stand up they shoot some shit at me, before I can even get up again they charge me, etc. This doesn't seem to be relieved by playing a gunner at all, on the contrary it just means I'm pretty much guaranteed to die if I get hit even once, even if that initial hit only did 25-40% of my HP damage. There will almost always be a followup.

The biggest problem I've found tho with the bow is the "critical distance" of them. With most of my bows, honest to god, I might as well be in melee range to get my critical damage. I don't know why close range coating even exists. The critical distance with it is almost exactly the same.

I honestly don't know why I keep stubbornly going back to the bow. I want it to be great. I figure there has to be some people out there better than me at MonHun that rock with it, and I want to discover that.

I use the bow a lot, and I rock with it (I think).

The main thing with the bow is positioning and stamina management. You don't want to be stuck without enough stamina to roll away once you loose the arrow. One thing that can help you avoid getting wombo-comboed is to stay down longer. If you don't push any buttons after getting knocked down, you can stay on the ground longer and you'll be invincible the whole time.

If you're using Close-Range Coatings, you need to be in the monster's grill, as you've seen, but if you're not, you can be about 1.5 to 2 rolls away and still be at critical distance. If you're using a pierce bow, you'll need to be a bit farther than that. You kind of get a feel for it after a few hunts.

I like to use Type 2 controls, with Bow Aim Mode Cancel set to Manual. With these controls, you hold R to charge the bow and X to toggle the aiming line. I have an N3DS, so I can easily use the stick to fine-tune my aim. Even if you don't, though, you can still hit L to re-center the camera on the monster and then shoot. You'll hit the monster pretty much all the time. Also, it's easier for me to hit the B button to roll to cancel a shot mid-charge, in case something bad happens.

LiQuid!

I use the bow a lot, and I rock with it (I think).

The main thing with the bow is positioning and stamina management. You don't want to be stuck without enough stamina to roll away once you loose the arrow. One thing that can help you avoid getting wombo-comboed is to stay down longer. If you don't push any buttons after getting knocked down, you can stay on the ground longer and you'll be invincible the whole time.

If you're using Close-Range Coatings, you need to be in the monster's grill, as you've seen, but if you're not, you can be about 1.5 to 2 rolls away and still be at critical distance. If you're using a pierce bow, you'll need to be a bit farther than that. You kind of get a feel for it after a few hunts.

I like to use Type 2 controls, with Bow Aim Mode Cancel set to Manual. With these controls, you hold R to charge the bow and X to toggle the aiming line. I have an N3DS, so I can easily use the stick to fine-tune my aim. Even if you don't, though, you can still hit L to re-center the camera on the monster and then shoot. You'll hit the monster pretty much all the time. Also, it's easier for me to hit the B button to roll to cancel a shot mid-charge, in case something bad happens.

Hmm, I haven't been cognizant of my iframes while knocked on the ground. I'll try being more aware of that. I usually just go full panic mode and start trying to roll out of the way the second I see a monster near me. This could be a really helpful tip but I need to do a few hunts to check it.

Kater

Banned
GH is closed now, thanks for everyone who has dropped by!

Also, I'm getting a bit better at Gunning now, tried out the LBG against B. Gravios and B. Diablos and barely fainted.

LiQuid!

Is there something in particular I need to do to get access to a quest to hunt akantor after I've already beaten it for my hunter rank advancement? I haven't seen a quest for him so I've been relying on trying to get kills of him in other peoples' halls and it's not going great.

jorgejjvr

Is there something in particular I need to do to get access to a quest to hunt akantor after I've already beaten it for my hunter rank advancement? I haven't seen a quest for him so I've been relying on trying to get kills of him in other peoples' halls and it's not going great.

I think it's an advanced quest, meaning sometimes it's there and other times not. You just need to finish or abandon a quest for the quests to recycle.

-Alternis

MHX: Weapon Showcase [GS, LS, SNS, DB] (GH)

Looks stunning. Did they improve some textures a bit, or maybe outlined some stuff? It looks less mushy then in MH4U (playing on a n3DS myself).

it does look pretty good, but honestly think it might just be that he has a nicer capture card, and there are lots of new effects which seem to look pretty clean. Hard to say.

As far as those effects go, I'm not sold. Seems very musou-esque and I'm not sure I like that.

Also hoping that if the effects make it to the final product in their current incarnation, they at least are less 'loud' for other players online. 4players with those effects would be impossible to figure out.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
its been years since freedom 2, and khezu still makes me feel like garbage.can take down rathian, naja, and zamtrios, but khezu doenst want to get with the damn program.

MHX: Weapon Showcase [GS, LS, SNS, DB] (GH)

Looks stunning. Did they improve some textures a bit, or maybe outlined some stuff? It looks less mushy then in MH4U (playing on a n3DS myself).

aerial style looks like fun.

Wolfe

it does look pretty good, but honestly think it might just be that he has a nicer capture card, and there are lots of new effects which seem to look pretty clean. Hard to say.

As far as those effects go, I'm not sold. Seems very musou-esque and I'm not sure I like that.

Also hoping that if the effects make it to the final product in their current incarnation, they at least are less 'loud' for other players online. 4players with those effects would be impossible to figure out.

I don't mind some of the wind type effects (like when the player jumps) or the charge effect but the ones from hitting the monster are kind of jarring. I get what they might be going for with it and the games name but it's too distracting imo. And yeah, it's hard to imagine those going off in a 4 player room, say after a mount. Shit would be blowin up your screen lol.

I like the idea of having different play styles though.

Shengar

Toukiden aren't even that flashy lol.

I don't mind some of the wind type effects (like when the player jumps) or the charge effect but the ones from hitting the monster are kind of jarring. I get what they might be going for with it and the games name but it's too distracting imo. And yeah, it's hard to imagine those going off in a 4 player room, say after a mount. Shit would be blowin up your screen lol.

I like the idea of having different play styles though.
yeah, this is pretty much where I'm at. the little trails from the LS, for example, look quite good while the actual "you hit the monster!" effects are ridiculous.
Toukiden aren't even that flashy lol.
No kidding, and that game certainly has the issue of "can't really tell what's going on" when you get a couple bows.

Wanderer5

Well got around finally checking out the Metroid event with the Shrouded Nerscylla now, and I was kind of expecting it to be more crazier than it was heh. Got the last two Immenseness Ticket S I needed, so I set to make the Star Knight armor then.

Shengar

I found a set that finally let me use Militant Dalamadur, right now
20150802172822.png

Blessed the Garuga, for such a shitty monster they have godlike armor skills.
No kidding, and that game certainly has the issue of "can't really tell what's going on" when you get a couple bows.

Maybe it can match MHX when those bows are using SPT style lol

Anyway, I think so much flash effect on screen could lead into problem. Those effect could obstruct the view on your screen especially when all four players unleash everything at the same time. This come in conflict in MH design where every monster count as one attack could lead you and your teammate into deep trouble. Some solutions that I can see rectify this:

1. Monsters, especially the new ones, don't depend on oneshots, and instead have string of combos that will only cart very careless or very unfortunate hunters.

2. Monsters will be more resistant to flinching, have bigger windup, and you can cancel attack midway (or at least some).

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Got a room open for the Star Knight set
05-7081-2258-8717

EDIT : room closed, randoms who aggro both monsters right at the start are bad for my blood pressure lol.

Tarps

I use the bow a lot, and I rock with it (I think)... SNIP

Yo, Mr Cottontail, great post thank you. I will keep your tips in mind. I'm learning to bow, and currently doing ok with the Kushala X set, my biggest problem is that I waste too many arrows, but this is getting better with practice and better stamina management.

I'm about to build my first mixed armor set for bow, would you have any recommendation for sets / skills?

co1onel

My biggest worry with this game is still that the hunters are getting all these improvements, but they aren't doing anything to the monsters. All these attacks with insane amounts of invincibility frames, and the ability to jump at any time. They're going to have to balance it somehow, and in that case I'd rather they just got rid of the new stuff and kept things balanced the way they currently are.

As for the visual effects, I don't like them and I think they look out of place. It will be a clusterfuck when playing with 4 players online. The frame-rate for mh4u on my n3ds already turns to shit every time gore's frenzy effects show up, or when zinogre goes into rage mode with the electricity effects.

Also seems weird that they've removed quildquests, seeing as they greatly expanded the end game content. I'd prefer they keep them and find out a way to make them more fun and add more variety.

Although I will say some of the new armor/weapon designs they've shown look pretty snazzy.

Shengar

The new monster will be good. The 3rd generation will be adequate with new moves and behavior. Older monster though, will be the same old shit. There is no way they could fit into the flashier gameplay of MHX unless they totally changed into almost new monster altogether.

Kater

Banned
EDIT : room closed, randoms who aggro both monsters right at the start are bad for my blood pressure lol.

It mostly comes down to luck in my experience, sometimes it's unavoidable that you get spotted by both Seregios and Zinogre since they can be very close together and see you before you can even throw down a smoke bomb.

My biggest worry with this game is still that the hunters are getting all these improvements, but they aren't doing anything to the monsters. All these attacks with insane amounts of invincibility frames, and the ability to jump at any time. They're going to have to balance it somehow, and in that case I'd rather they just got rid of the new stuff and kept things balanced the way they currently are.

As for the visual effects, I don't like them and I think they look out of place. It will be a clusterfuck when playing with 4 players online. The frame-rate for mh4u on my n3ds already turns to shit every time gore's frenzy effects show up, or when zinogre goes into rage mode with the electricity effects.

Also seems weird that they've removed quildquests, seeing as they greatly expanded the end game content. I'd prefer they keep them and find out a way to make them more fun and add more variety.

Although I will say some of the new armor/weapon designs they've shown look pretty snazzy.

Yeah, it's a bit too flashy, I agree. But I also agree with GH that it will teach people better how far their weapons reach is so that they can learn to not trip people online (Which is my biggest annoyance when playing online. >.<). So I am a bit torn on this.

I didn't know that they removed GQs, huh. Was any explanation given as to why?

Edit:

Apropos old monsters, I hope they include Nerscy again, one of my favourite monsters to fight and their subspecies looks amazing too.

Shengar

I just realized that I'm two fanblade+ short from Militant Dalamadur.
Here's hoping this month DLC will include G Rank Dalamadur.
But not said capcom, here's another High Rankd Dalamadur instead

I didn't know that they removed GQs, huh. Was any explanation given as to why?

This isn't a mainline game, and GQ probably will be one of the staple feature of mainline game.
It'll return in MH5 I'm sure of it.

co1onel

The new monster will be good. The 3rd generation will be adequate with new moves and behavior. Older monster though, will be the same old shit. There is no way they could fit into the flashier gameplay of MHX unless they totally changed into almost new monster altogether.

Yeah, I think the owl monster is a good idea for the gameplay mechanics, but I don't know how they'll deal with monsters like tigrex if you can just jump over his charge.

Seems there are few good things happening to the weapons that I actually hope make it into the next mainline mh though. The double note on HH for hitting the monster will help encourage people to actually attack the monster, and giving the bow a more varied moveset sounds like fun (although I really don't think it needs any more mobility options).

Kater

Banned
Well, while you can now avoid charges from smaller monsters like Tiggy by jumping you'd still have to look out for your stamina gauge, see that you don't run out for when Tiggy turns around and charges at you again. It's probably still better to avoid him by running circles around him when he charges. :p

This isn't a mainline game, and GQ probably will be one of the staple feature of mainline game.
It'll return in MH5 I'm sure of it.
Hopefully! I really like the challenge they provide. Plus you have the chance to get good gear too.

co1onel

Well, while you can now avoid charges from smaller monsters like Tiggy by jumping you'd still have to look out for your stamina gauge, see that you don't run out for when Tiggy turns around and charges at you again. It's probably still better to avoid him by running circles around him when he charges. :p.

Jumping doesn't use that much stamina. It looks like it uses the same amount as a roll.

Unrelated to your post, I forget to say that I don't have any faith in them properly balancing the four play styles. They can't even balance the weapons first, and now they've also got the styles to worry about. I'm sure once the game's meta evolves there will be one style used by 90% of people online, and people will start kicking you if you aren't using that one style.

Top Bottom