• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

The flow for 2 people should be:
1) Run to trap (eat for stamina at switch). Hit both Tigrex with the trap (if not, restart)
(Hunters should exit from different doors to catch the attention before heading to switch)
2) Immediately run up to the top floor (all battling should be done here)
3) Use Wystones, ready flash bombs and use to separate, go after frenzy if possible, but having 2 1v1s isn't bad either, just take opportunities you see
4) Kill them (mostly golf swing to the head, use R to close distances)
5) Wait on ledge as apex appears and try to get a mount (not necessary)
6) Win
What's the strategy for apex? It always took longer for me to kill it than the other two combined. And how many tries does this usually take?

ilium

Was checking my equipment box for relics to turn into points and realized that I had the perfect relic bow sitting there all this time.

408 Attack
Power Shot
Power Coating, Sleep Coating, Close Coating
Charge Lv3 Rapid 5
Coating Boost Sleep
-10% Affinity

This makes it the best possible relic Bow except that it's missing an element.

And yet... the seregios bow outdamages it. How dumb is that? .__.

tuffy

Relics ranged weapons are mostly a waste of time. Even with the best possible stats, you'll still never find something better than the Gravios Gigacannon, or Livid Griscannon, or Vayu Sedition, or a number of other specialized elemental guns. It's an odd oversight, but at least that's one thing I don't have to farm.

ilium

Relics ranged weapons are mostly a waste of time. Even with the best possible stats, you'll still never find something better than the Gravios Gigacannon, or Livid Griscannon, or Vayu Sedition, or a number of other specialized elemental guns. It's an odd oversight, but at least that's one thing I don't have to farm.

So it's the same for LBG and HBG? That's such a bummer. I actually kinda like the relic system and my relic Great- and Longswords outclass pretty much every craftable one.

Gunner got shafted. :(

Korezo

Never played MH on 3ds and would like to know how you put the beeping notification of your location on the map, and how you stop the monster death animation camera at the end of a mission?

I finally fought Raging Brachydios for the first time today.

That thing is really mean :( But at least I got an Immortal Reactor off its tail, so now I just gotta farm for slime and warheads!

tuffy

Never played MH on 3ds and would like to know how you put the beeping notification of your location on the map, and how you stop the monster death animation camera at the end of a mission?
Bring up the menu and hit "X" or "Y" to signal your teammates.

And when a monster's dying, there should be a "skip" button on the touch screen you can use to skip the animation in order to make carving easier.
I finally fought Raging Brachydios for the first time today.

That thing is really mean :( But at least I got an Immortal Reactor off its tail, so now I just gotta farm for slime and warheads!
Raging Brachy hits very hard, but it seems like he moves a little slower than the regular one. For that reason he actually seems a little easier!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
You can also put the beeper on the touch screen.

Does anyone use any of the ranged weapons WITHOUT a circle pad pro? I originally started playing with a heavy bowgun, but I quickly realized that with just the D-Pad to aim I was going to have no fun and then switched to charge blade. Incidentally, I love the charge blade.

Greddleok

I had a lot of fun with the bow without using the CPP.

Man I miss MH, I should really get back into it, but G-rank just stresses me out. It's HARD!

tuffy

Does anyone use any of the ranged weapons WITHOUT a circle pad pro? I originally started playing with a heavy bowgun, but I quickly realized that with just the D-Pad to aim I was going to have no fun and then switched to charge blade. Incidentally, I love the charge blade.
I bowgun everything, but never use the right stick/CPP for aiming. Instead, I point my hunter in the general direction of the monster, tap the right trigger to bring up the 1st-person scope, and fine-tune my aim with the left pad without taking my thumb off it before taking a shot.

Being anchored in the scope view seems like an easy way to get clobbered, but it's actually possible to side-roll out of that view (even with limiter removed) just by pointing in a direction and hitting B.

co1onel

I attempted to solo the triple Tigrex G-arena quest. I completed it twice, but it took 27 minutes each time. Looks like I need help A-ranking this satanic mission, but I'll have to wait until the weekend. Anything I should do to prepare in the meantime?

Play with a teammate at the start, then when one tiggy dies, disconnect and solo the last two. Tiggy is such an easy fight when solo because of how easily abusable his attack patterns are. Pretty sure that's how I got the A rank.

I have never used the CPP to aim with the bowgun or bow. The game doesn't have real analog aiming so the CPP offers no advantage over the dpad.

What's the deal with people joining a lobby who then decide to make a complete new set from scratch ?!

I often waste people's time trying to find a damn gem. It wouldn't even be an issue if there was a remove all gems option.

ilium

I never usw the nub on the n3ds for aiming. D-Pad is all you need.

I often waste people's time trying to find a damn gem. It wouldn't even be an issue if there was a remove all gems option.

D;<

ilium

I've been thinking a bit more about my Relic Bow Conundrum and I just can't wrap my head around the idea that the devs simply oversaw gunner weapons when it comes to relics. Like, is the added utility with having sleep coating and sleep coating boast supposed to be the only draw for the relic rapid bow (without element)?

What I lose are 20 (40 combined) Power Coatings and -10% affinity instead of 30%. That's pretty significant for a raw bow.
However, considering that the relic has access to charge level 4 - rapid 5 shouln't I be able to counter this by using charge 4 with 1.7x damage multiplier instead of charge 3 with1.5?!

I wish there'd be a tool where I could hammer in some variables to get some numbers, but I couldn't find one sadly.

edit: oops double post

tuffy

For what it's worth, I have seen the very best relic bows turn up in speedruns on YouTube (though the original videos have since been taken down and live on only on my hard drive). So if the speedrunners are using them, I assume they must have some value. Though I don't know enough about bow damage values to judge.

Relic bowguns, on the other hand, never seem to show up in speedruns. It's usually the Gigacannon, Griscannon, or Furia Sedition. So if there are some worthwhile bowgun relics, nobody's using them to break any speed records.

HawthorneKitty

Play with a teammate at the start, then when one tiggy dies, disconnect and solo the last two. Tiggy is such an easy fight when solo because of how easily abusable his attack patterns are. Pretty sure that's how I got the A rank.
That's fucked up.
No wonder GaijinHunter made that blogpost.

ilium

For what it's worth, I have seen the very best relic bows turn up in speedruns on YouTube (though the original videos have since been taken down and live on only on my hard drive). So if the speedrunners are using them, I assume they must have some value. Though I don't know enough about bow damage values to judge.

Relic bowguns, on the other hand, never seem to show up in speedruns. It's usually the Gigacannon, Griscannon, or Furia Sedition. So if there are some worthwhile bowgun relics, nobody's using them to break any speed records.

Interesting, thanks for the heads up.

I assume the speedrunner was using an elemental relic? Because those definitely outdamage the seregios bow.

co1onel

I've been thinking a bit more about my Relic Bow Conundrum and I just can't wrap my head around the idea that the devs simply oversaw gunner weapons when it comes to relics. Like, is the added utility with having sleep coating and sleep coating boast supposed to be the only draw for the relic rapid bow (without element)?

What I lose are 20 (40 combined) Power Coatings and -10% affinity instead of 30%. That's pretty significant for a raw bow.
However, considering that the relic has access to charge level 4 - rapid 5 shouln't I be able to counter this by using charge 4 with 1.7x damage multiplier instead of charge 3 with1.5?!

I wish there'd be a tool where I could hammer in some variables to get some numbers, but I couldn't find one sadly.

edit: oops double post
You should be looking at spread relic bow, which can be insanely overpowered given the right circumstance.
That's fucked up.
No wonder GaijinHunter made that blogpost.
Not really the same thing, besides it was my teammate that disconnected on me and I suddenly realized how much easier it became. This was way back at launch too. Plus cusrom quests are great after youve beaten all the in game content, its the only thing me and my friends play anymore. Nothing like beating an insanely overpowered Stygian zinogre, only to have to fight a brachydios right after, and then a garuga, and then chaotic gore, and finally a rajang to top it off. Gaijinhunters posts is silly. The game is dying out and losing players. All the scrubs are more visible now that everyone else moved on. No need to get so upset over it.

OK, I think I'll be ready to try the Triplets G-Arena quest very soon. Anybody willing to take on that mission sometime in the next hour or 2?

EDIT: I'm now ready in case anyone wants to join.

I'd join but that's your FC. disregard if you already got someone
I put the wrong code? Ok, so I set up the arena quest. Not sure where to check the room number.

EDIT: Found it. Room number is 27-7713-9114-2316.

EDIT 2: Room is closed. Finally A-ranked that mission! Thanks for the assist, GAF! May have saved me multiple aneurysms.

BTW, there's no danger in my having accidentally posted my friend code, is there?

ohlawd

I put the wrong code? Ok, so I set up the arena quest. Not sure where to check the room number.

EDIT: Found it. Room number is 27-7713-9114-2316.

EDIT 2: Room is closed. Finally A-ranked that mission! Thanks for the assist, GAF! May have saved me multiple aneurysms.

BTW, there's no danger in my having accidentally posted my friend code, is there?
not really since the other person needs to give you theirs. I edited your FC out either way

Now that I have the explosive trapper headgear, I'm thinking of using a sleep bombing setup. How viable would that be for solo play? I'm thinking between two setups.

Weapon: Relic Sleep DB (that I've had for a long time but never used)
  • 476 attack
  • 180 sleep
  • Decent purple Sharpness with Sharpness+1 (white sharpness w/o it)
  • Neutral affinity
  • Awesome neon blue glow

Set 1
  • Honed Blade
  • Razor Sharp
  • Latent Power + 2
  • Explosive Trapper

Set 2
  • Sharpness+1
  • Razor Sharp
  • High-Grade Earplug
  • Critical Eye + 2
  • Explosive Trapper

Last night I finally caved and ordered a New Nintendo 3DS since I had $150 in Amazon Gift Cards. I wanted to get a game with it and MH was on sale so on Wednesday I'll be taking my first step into the world of MH. Is the game community still relatively active for a game that's been out this long? Also, are there any must-read resources for Beginners I should know about?

co1onel

Last night I finally caved and ordered a New Nintendo 3DS since I had $150 in Amazon Gift Cards. I wanted to get a game with it and MH was on sale so on Wednesday I'll be taking my first step into the world of MH. Is the game community still relatively active for a game that's been out this long? Also, are there any must-read resources for Beginners I should know about?

plenty of randoms online. few people in here willing to help. look up gaijin hunter on youtube.

ilium

Couldn't sleep so I gave Athena's ASS a spin to see if I could make the perfect bow set.

Normal Up
Brutality
Focus
Load Up
Fleet Feet

All I need now is a relic with 5 points in prudence to get Fleet Feet on it.
Coupled with Charge 4 Rapid 5 on the Relic and Mega Dash Juice...

Holy shit.

It also looks amazing.

co1onel

Couldn't sleep so I gave Athena's ASS a spin to see if I could make the perfect bow set.

Normal Up
Brutality
Focus
Load Up
Fleet Feet

All I need now is a relic with 5 points in prudence to get Fleet Feet on it.
Coupled with Charge 4 Rapid 5 on the Relic and Mega Dash Juice...

Holy shit.

It also looks amazing.

I tried this at one point. Fleet feet just isn't worth it on the bow. Good mobility+speed means you can avoid mostly everything with normal rolls. Plus MH4U has too much silly chip damage constantly ruining your attack boost. I'd recommend just going attack up instead. I run a set with these skills except with silver bullet, so that I can easily change to whatever bow I want. Best part is it uses all relic parts so I can look stylish while using it too. I got a godlike charm to get the silver bullet on there though, otherwise most charms can get you normal up with enough slots for attack up M.

ilium

I tried this at one point. Fleet feet just isn't worth it on the bow. Good mobility+speed means you can avoid mostly everything with normal rolls. Plus MH4U has too much silly chip damage constantly ruining your attack boost. I'd recommend just going attack up instead. I run a set with these skills except with silver bullet, so that I can easily change to whatever bow I want. Best part is it uses all relic parts so I can look stylish while using it too. I got a godlike charm to get the silver bullet on there though, otherwise most charms can get you normal up with enough slots for attack up M.

True, but I got used to having Fleet Feet on my old set. With evade extender I can be ALOT more aggressive and still get away especially on 140 GQs, while free AuL is obviously nice to have. I barely get hit anyway so it's up all the time. :p

I'm also just kinda trying to make rapid relics work ;)

co1onel

True, but I got used to having Fleet Feet on my old set. With evade extender I can be ALOT more aggressive and still get away especially on 140 GQs, while free AuL is obviously nice to have. I barely get hit anyway so it's up all the time. :p

I'm also just kinda trying to make rapid relics work ;)

In what way does evade extender allow you to be more aggressive?

ilium

In what way does evade extender allow you to be more aggressive?

By staying in front of the Monster juuust a little longer to hit the weakspot and squeeze in a powershot while still getting out of the way in time.

140 Shagaru and Brachy are perfect examples for this.

It also let's you play a little bit more sloppy on regular G rank stuff of course ;)

Comandr

Anybody in the greater Phoenix AZ area still play this regularly? I'd love to meet a couple people for regular hunts.

I miss the days of playing MH3U locally.

I remember the hilarious times of my buddies and I hunting Nargacuga for the first time. One of them in his terrible armor couldn't do a lot more than hide in a corner and spam Health Recovery (S) and Health Rec & Deoderant (M) to desperately keep us alive with his Qurupeco Horn.

It was sloppy and awful and I miss it.

Korezo

How do I get the HR7 Molten Tigerex quest to pop? I check online and see theirs no pre reqs, trying to clear all HR7 quests to see but seems impossible because people just do key quests only in the game now.

Korezo

You'll need HR50 to unlock the guild 7 star Molten Tigrex, so that might be why it hasn't shown up yet.

I'm only 45, so I guess Im a grind out Village quests to 10 and try their. Need him for my next weapon lvl upgrade.

I actually love grinding out all of the quests.

As do I, but I've yet to find a group that does anything but keys. And if I make a room its always people that randomly put up what ever key quest they need that join.

PrankT

I haven't played this in a few months, but got the itch tonight. After turning it on I realized that I forgot almost everything even though I have nearly 450 hours of gameplay! Forgot how to combine items, forgot my songs, forgot my combos. Oh well, another day.

Unicorn

I'm scared to come back. I came back after a couple month hiatus and got wrecked online by a double Serg quest that I used to have no problem with. My CB skills had vanished and I disgraced a room of randoms. I can't go back with an even larger gap now.

This was still my GOTY even though I put more time into Rocket League.

HawthorneKitty

That's why I main LS. :p
I definitely saw my IG skills demolish a bit when I came back for that Gog event hunt.

My non-existant hammer skills were untouched too.

PKrockin

Got told to switch away from hunting horn because "we don't need two". He wouldn't start the quest until I did. I love other people telling me what to do almost as much as I love the idea that the horn is useless except for playing attack up large. Have fun triple carting to Gog, then, Mr. "Looking for experts!"

Korezo

Yeah this is the worst game to start late, I'm stuck cause I cant find any groups farming what I need. On Mh3u wii u I did every single quest/event/challenege during release, here I get on, search online, do nothing then shut it off. I don't want to do g2 quests with rank 6 armor.

tuffy

If all else fails, GAF folks can help out with your farming and key quest needs - schedules permitting. Though I'm more than a little rusty, I can often lend a hand in the evening (central standard time).

Top Bottom