• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Just got to HR2 after playing online. It was a blast. Didn't realize how fun online could be. Didn't really score any new stronger armor that I don't have but its cool to have the option of new armor.

It helps when the other players joining me are crazy high levels. Had a player with a HR365. Is that even a thing?

PtM

Banned
Just got to HR2 after playing online. It was a blast. Didn't realize how fun online could be. Didn't really score any new stronger armor that I don't have but its cool to have the option of new armor.

It helps when the other players joining me are crazy high levels. Had a player with a HR365. Is that even a thing?
It goes up to 999.

Anteo

After a certain point the HR no longer means what tier of monsters you are fighting but how many quest have you finished.

I finally got started on the game, did the first several quests including one that was clearly above my level by accident. I assume it's a good idea to do all the weapons intros just to see what you're most interested in? I did like half of them already--so far liking dual blades.

tuffy

If you're not sure what weapon you like, doing the weapon tutorials is an easy way to get a feel for how to use them. But they're totally optional so don't feel compelled to do them all if you don't want to.

gmnc

Neo Member
Finally got some free time and the circle-pad just falls off. I tried some arena quest and now my thumb hurts... a lot. :(
So, I'll be playing Shovel Knight. :)

SAC

Neo Member
hey gaf,

i have the MH4U bug again after not playing much in the past couple of months. i'm finally feeling motivated to learn a new weapon (switch axe) after maining LS all the way to gold crown (HR 360). to anyone who wants to play but feels rusty, i'll totally hunt whatever with you. just some casual, no pressure hunts (need switch axe practice). i usually can play in the evenings/late nights PST. i'll start checking this thread on nights i'm looking to play and post/check if anyone else is lookin for a hunt

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
hey gaf,

i have the MH4U bug again after not playing much in the past couple of months. i'm finally feeling motivated to learn a new weapon (switch axe) after maining LS all the way to gold crown (HR 360). to anyone who wants to play but feels rusty, i'll totally hunt whatever with you. just some casual, no pressure hunts (need switch axe practice). i usually can play in the evenings/late nights PST. i'll start checking this thread on nights i'm looking to play and post/check if anyone else is lookin for a hunt
If you post, shoot me a PM too just in case (if it's not too much trouble) because I've been down to learn Switch Axe for a while now too.

SAC

Neo Member
well, its late here PST but i'm free to hunt some monsters for the next 2-3 hours, if anyone wants to join. still trying to make an acceptable g rank switch axe set but i'll probably switch up LS and SA, depending on the hunt. turn room of course.....

well, its late here PST but i'm free to hunt some monsters for the next 2-3 hours, if anyone wants to join. still trying to make an acceptable g rank switch axe set but i'll probably switch up LS and SA, depending on the hunt. turn room of course.....

12-8377-9043-3485

Coming in. My in-game name is Norah.

Korezo

Anyone have the low rank bosario guild quest they can send me. Im tired of farming earth crystals... I thought the material lady sold them sometimes but its only ice crystals.

I got the quest and spent hours trying to KO Rasario and its just impossible for me, I can never KO him.. It was faster to just farm the earths minning normal. Then later I found out I was using my crystals on the wrong gs the entire time... was doing Eternal Glyph instead of Epitath Eternal, and now need to farm earths crystals again.

Wolfe

Anyone have the low rank bosario guild quest they can send me. Im tired of farming earth crystals... I thought the material lady sold them sometimes but its only ice crystals.

I got the quest and spent hours trying to KO Rasario and its just impossible for me, I can never KO him.. It was faster to just farm the earths minning normal. Then later I found out I was using my crystals on the wrong gs the entire time... was doing Eternal Glyph instead of Epitath Eternal, and now need to farm earths crystals again.

Do a few LR expeditions (killing all of the large monsters that spawn) and you should get one (or five) rather quickly. Assuming someone hasn't hooked you up already.

Edit: what were you using to try and knock him out with? I did it a few times with Hammer and didn't find it too difficult.

Korezo

Do a few LR expeditions (killing all of the large monsters that spawn) and you should get one (or five) rather quickly. Assuming someone hasn't hooked you up already.

Edit: what were you using to try and knock him out with? I did it a few times with Hammer and didn't find it too difficult.

I got it finally doing some LR.

Im using a R9 hammer I built just for him, but Im real bad with the hammer. I hit him many times in the face even use traps to keep him still. Out of hours of trying I only KO him once but it was during him getting up. Is there a specific ko combo or something?

Wolfe

It's been a while but yeah there's a certain amount of KO damage before a knockout so it works best using certain moves to add up the damage so you can hit the threshold exactly when and where you want. I'm sure there are some youtube videos on it.

Edit: here's one of the first ones that showed up in the search: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frso6ULCl3s

Hope that helps.

PKrockin

It can be tricky because KO damage wears off over time and after you trip Basarios you basically just have one shot to uppercut it while it's down. You could miss, the wing could get in the way while you try to get to the head, he can fall down with his head in the wall, etc. It took me a few tries to do it even as a huge hammer user in FU, 3U and 4U. But I think I didn't use armor with earplugs nor did I use a weapon with enough sharpness to not bounce, because I was afraid of killing it too early.

I would focus on level 2 charge uppercuts, which do 40 KO damage. A full triple pound combo does a combined 80 KO damage, if you feel like going for one of those while he roars. Basarios's initial KO threshold is 200 according to kiranico. Monsters' current KO damage generally decreases by 5 every 10 seconds, so get 5 uppercuts in, potentially one more if it takes a while, and then go for the trip and the last uppercut.

It can be easier to land uppercuts on the head if you come at the monster from the side. It can be easy to underestimate how far you step in with that move and just hit the neck rather than the head.

Korezo

I finally did it, now I want to do it again on high rank for the Heavenly crystals.

I seen the videos and didn't understand how people do it so quick and easy.. Its my first time using hammer ever on any MH, so I was missing 90% of the times or hitting wrong spots. I'm still terrible, its probably going to taking another few hours to do the same thing again on high rank. I always got stuck on wing, missed 3rd hit on head or head was clipped through wall..

Wolfe

I finally did it, now I want to do it again on high rank for the Heavenly crystals.

I seen the videos and didn't understand how people do it so quick and easy.. Its my first time using hammer ever on any MH, so I was missing 90% of the times or hitting wrong spots. I'm still terrible, its probably going to taking another few hours to do the same thing again on high rank. I always got stuck on wing, missed 3rd hit on head or head was clipped through wall..

To be honest I didn't watch the vid I linked fully, it just seemed like it was the least irritating one and I was tired lol.

Glad to hear it worked out though, even if it was a chore.

I just started this game and I had to stop because I read you can "screw" up the insect blade i.e if you choose an undesired upgrade path you can't go back and fix it. Is this true and is the insect blade the only weapon it's possible to "screw up"? I don't want to invest alot of time in the game only to find out I did the wrong thing. Hypothetically if you screw up a weapon does that mean you have to start building a new one from scratch? I imagine that's a long and tedious endeavour?

tuffy

I just started this game and I had to stop because I read you can "screw" up the insect blade i.e if you choose an undesired upgrade path you can't go back and fix it. Is this true and is the insect blade the only weapon it's possible to "screw up"? I don't want to invest alot of time in the game only to find out I did the wrong thing. Hypothetically if you screw up a weapon does that mean you have to start building a new one from scratch? I imagine that's a long and tedious endeavour?
Apparently there's one mix of Glaive Kinsect stats that's a lot better than the others, and feeding it in a specific order is important to get your Kinsect to that point because of the way feeding it increases and decreases stats.

None of the other weapons have anything similar because features like bowgun attachments or honing (late in the game) can always be freely adjusted later so long as you have the money/materials to do so.

Dreavus

I wouldn't worry too much about it until you're near the endgame. I've been throwing food at my kinsect without thinking too much about it and I haven't had a problem, and I've been maining the weapon. The biggest thing you need for the kinsect to be usable is speed.

Usually when people talk about growing in a specific way its so that you can get the effect extender type bug (one of the final forms) which doubles the time your juice buffs last. Obviously it's super good, but the build up to get it is not that great because you don't really put much speed in until later. I plan on building one eventually but I put the game on the back burner for a while now and am on the cusp of G rank, meaning I don't have the mats to get the bug to it's final form anyways.

Anyone still actively playing?

I just picked the game back up, and man does the community still suck and ukanlos hard mode and killing anything apex.

I would love to join any groups that still jump in.

Hey folks. Not been playing 4U for months still, but I've picked up P3rd again since I've been using my PSP to play shmups on the bus.

Is there a kiranico/MHdex-esque tool in english for the game? I haven't found much and the big english wikis are very lacking.

Just got the game, enjoying it so far, even if the text is really small on a normal new3ds.
I was wondering, is there any information in-game on where to find certain beasts? Like I needed to kill some jaggias and I basically run in the various zones until I found them, is there a way to tell where to find them? Or should I explore the various zone everytime?

tuffy

Although there isn't anything in-game to tell you where the little monsters like the Jaggias hang out, they do consistently appear in the same zones all the time. The same will be true for big monsters, who will have consistent areas of the map that they go to and won't roam anywhere else.

If you don't want to look up those details online, you'll learn them soon enough just by exploring the maps on your own.

Although there isn't anything in-game to tell you where the little monsters like the Jaggias hang out, they do consistently appear in the same zones all the time. The same will be true for big monsters, who will have consistent areas of the map that they go to and won't roam anywhere else.

If you don't want to look up those details online, you'll learn them soon enough just by exploring the maps on your own.
thanks. just for curiosity, do the most of you guys play on the XL models or even normal ones?

tuffy

I've been playing on the New 3DS XL which I picked up at the same time as the game. I liked the idea of a built-in Circle Pad Pro, I'd gotten used to the larger screen on my old 3DS XL, and there weren't any other size options available at the time.

I've been playing on the New 3DS XL which I picked up at the same time as the game. I liked the idea of a built-in Circle Pad Pro, I'd gotten used to the larger screen on my old 3DS XL, and there weren't any other size options available at the time.
Yeah, I also always played 4G on a N3DSXL. the L2/R2 are really awesome control additions, and the smoother framerate is greatly appreciated.
I haven't once played an MH on a small 3DS. no thanks lol the thought makes me wanna hurl my $30 Italian food
I did a bit. It wasn't so bad, but certainly inferior to the N3DSXL.

PKrockin

I've played it for quite a while on both a launch 3DS and a New 3DS XL and it controls fine on both. The target cam was all I needed to use most of the time when fighting, and the virtual d-pad worked fine once I made it really thin and tall and moved it all the way over to the right side of the screen. The c-stick is handy but didn't make a real difference in battle except if you gun, or especially if you use the bow's new (superior) control option.

The much improved framerate was the bigger difference to me, going from regular 3DS to New XL.

Sarcasm

So finally able to get a hold of a N3DS XL (NA) and grabbed MH4U! I am at the point of starting expeditions and finished all the 2* quests. Which I think I get more of once I do an expedition.

Thing is I have no steaks! Where can I cook them? Or do I have to go do a random quest (maybe gathering hall) and buy a BBQ spit? Also using the spit I only get rare steaks. I wait for the music to stop -.-

D-Pad

So finally able to get a hold of a N3DS XL (NA) and grabbed MH4U! I am at the point of starting expeditions and finished all the 2* quests. Which I think I get more of once I do an expedition.

Thing is I have no steaks! Where can I cook them? Or do I have to go do a random quest (maybe gathering hall) and buy a BBQ spit? Also using the spit I only get rare steaks. I wait for the music to stop -.-

You can do the first quest or you can cook them at any time if you buy the bbq spit and chop down some herbivores for raw meat. Later on you'll find it is much easier to never run out of meat.

--

I've been hunting with my sister this past week. We've been having some success (amongst many non-successes) against Apex Tigrex for Zenith Gems and some guild quests for Divine Spheres. It'd be a lot easier if we had help though, since monster HP is doubled in MP. :( Still, I'll never tire of this game. MHX is going to be amazing~

Sarcasm

Is MHX coming to NA? I almost bought a Ll since they are sold locally here. But I got a great deal on a Xl when I was in the states.

Is there a spreadsheet with friend codes? I need friends!

Is MHX coming to NA? I almost bought a Ll since they are sold locally here. But I got a great deal on a Xl when I was in the states.

Is there a spreadsheet with friend codes? I need friends!

There's a spreadsheet on the first post, but I'm not sure how up-to-date it is. Not sure how many people are still in the Discord server either. I'm available to play most evenings; just post here.

Sarcasm

There's a spreadsheet on the first post, but I'm not sure how up-to-date it is. Not sure how many people are still in the Discord server either. I'm available to play most evenings; just post here.

Oh I got discord actually installed!

My friend code is: 4442-2685-6898

What timezone are you in?

Chorazin

Back into MonHun 4U now that I have the smaller N3DS and picked up CB, hold fuck is that a fantastic weapon. I'm in love with the game again!

Once the music stops KEEP WATCHING THE MEAT. A second or two after the music stops it'll turn brown, immediately hit the button or it'll go from Well Done to Burnt.

PKrockin

I think playing online is generally made easier by mounting being so OP, but soloing and the end game is definitely harder than 3U's at least.

I'm back into this game after a loooooong time away. I think it was a combination of not having the time to keep up with my usual monhun friends (they just raced to G rank) and other games being out st the same time.

Fuck Rajang. I don't know if he's from previous games but this is my first time fighting him and fuck him so hard. It's not just the linked punch combos or the bullshit homing jump/spin attacks or the fact that his hit box is utterly broken (getting hit by something you're behind which is running away from you will never not be bullshit), it's that damn near every move he uses to get around will damage you in some way. Whether it's spinning through the air or leaping backwards or punch-punch-punching his way forward or just plain hopping along, it all hurts, all the time. I hate him, and I need his skin.

I don't know if it's because I'm late to start playing this and the community is somewhat distilled now, but it really does seem like people I group with are either skilled, friendly and chatty or impatient, hateful assholes with absolutely no middle ground. I was in a group with three other people earlier when two of us got disconnected from the other two quite early on in a quest. We quit out to the lobby and so did the other two, but apparently this was somehow my fault. I get called a stupid bitch and kicked. Rejoined to ask what the hell he thought I did exactly and see the same guy going off on the other one who was disconnected with me. The positive groups I occasionally find more than make up for the assholes, but damn are the assholes depressing.

Another time I joined a group, carried them through a fairly difficult quest (spamming dusts and traps to keep them alive and buy them time to heal, I was the only one who brought an appropriate weapon for the monster etc) and we finally scraped through, with the guy who listed the quest carting twice. We get back to the hall and he starts asking me if I'm a woman. I say no, I'm a guy just playing a female character. Well god damn if he doesn't go absolutely apeshit, calling me a dumb shit, a liar, finding creative ways to bypass the swear filter, and of course in ALL CAPS before kicking me from the room. I don't know if he thought I might be a woman and he might get laid or something? Jesus, some people.

Then there's your usual monhun parade of people joining a room as the fourth person and listing their urgent before spamming chat with PLS PLS PLS, people quitting as soon as they've got everyone to do their quest for them, people hanging out two zones away from the monster whole everyone else kills it for them or buggering off to mine, not to mention the woes of trying to start a room for quests if you're below about HR150...

...and yet I'm sucked back into being madly, deeply in love with monhun. God why did it take me a year to get back into this?!

Top Bottom