• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Anteo

Third time trying to get into this game, I hope it sticks x) Not an easy game to pick after leaving it for a few months.

I'm thinking about picking up a circle pad pro for this game too. I think I'll get a better feel for the controls instead of using this small snub on the right (C stick?).

Be carefull with the c stick on the og 3ds, it becomes super hot after half an hour. Also, in 3U the game would sudenlly drop the bg music and the wifi would stop working. Me and my friend droped the old 3ds and got a new 3ds to play 4u because of this.

Grudy

Be carefull with the c stick on the og 3ds, it becomes super hot after half an hour. Also, in 3U the game would sudenlly drop the bg music and the wifi would stop working. Me and my friend droped the old 3ds and got a new 3ds to play 4u because of this.

The og 3DS had a C stick? Or do you mean the circle pad pro? Either way I have a N3DS so I'm good to go :p

I'm not sure if the Urgent quests have tougher bosses than in regular quests but fighting the Nerscylla again in level 4 was so much easier, got it down just by using my supplies (versus using almost all my potions and rations in the urgent). The armor looks pretty cool too.

ohlawd

anyone bored enough to do high rank Arena with me?

edit: right

34 3727 5465 9077

I'll watch animu while I wait (until I turn into a skeleton)
I think we'll just do everything at least once and hope for an S rank

Khort

Third time trying to get into this game, I hope it sticks x) Not an easy game to pick after leaving it for a few months.

Me too! Kept trying to like it, played it on psp and MH3 wii and for some reason I drop it. Not sure why it doesn't click for me while I enjoy PSO, Freedom war or Toukiden... Maybe the pacing

ohlawd

need some bored people again (is anyone actually offended by this? >_>)

finishing up whatever G1-3 quests I have left. fun quests include naked Cham, super Ukanlos, the 5-star course of TigZinBrachGoreRegios (yo, monster fusing should be a thing in MH5), blah blah, couple G1s and 2s. finish up my last DLC quest line too

oh and I need another Hunter ticket so I gotta do that monkey quest with Emerald Lala, Kecha and Jang again

60 2456 3770 0943

co1onel

I'm thinking about picking up a circle pad pro for this game too. I think I'll get a better feel for the controls instead of using this small snub on the right (C stick?).

I might be misunderstanding, but the N3DS doesn't work with the circle pad pro.

The problem with MH's camera, at least for me, is that the attack and actions buttons are all on the face buttons. This means you have to stop attacking in order to move the camera with the c-stick, which is less than ideal. Since you already have a n3ds, I recommend try setting the left/right camera controls to the ZR and ZL buttons. This way you get complete control over the camera's x-axis while still having full control of your character. It's akin to using the claw back in the PSP versions, except much less awkward.

Me too! Kept trying to like it, played it on psp and MH3 wii and for some reason I drop it. Not sure why it doesn't click for me while I enjoy PSO, Freedom war or Toukiden... Maybe the pacing

PSO seems like it's own thing to me. With Freedom wars and Toukiden, even if they take inspiration from monhun, the actual combat is still much different. I don't think your opinion is too uncommon, as it seems lots of people who didn't get into MH were able to enjoy those games. Only thing I would recommend, if you're willing, is to keep playing a little more even if you aren't necessarily enjoying it. First time I tried playing a MH game, I got a good 20 hours into it before getting bored and moving onto something else. It wasn't until some time later that I came back and it suddenly clicked.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
As far as Circle Pads go, I bought one of these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LVRXS8C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

and I can't recommend it enough. Having the camera control on your left index finger does feel odd at first, but once you get used to it, there's really no better way to play. Full camera control without having to stop what you're doing.

Of course this doesn't work with New 3DS models, but if you have an original XL, I'd recommend it strongly.

co1onel

As far as Circle Pads go, I bought one of these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LVRXS8C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

and I can't recommend it enough. Having the camera control on your left index finger does feel odd at first, but once you get used to it, there's really no better way to play. Full camera control without having to stop what you're doing.

Of course this doesn't work with New 3DS models, but if you have an original XL, I'd recommend it strongly.

This also looks like an interesting way of doing it. Always wanted to try this thing out. For the next monster hunter, I'd like to see them rework the controls to have the attack buttons on the triggers/bumpers so that you can just keep your thumb on the right stick. They already did this with the bow in MH4U and it works much better imo. Although I'm sure there would be a lot of backlash over changed controls so maybe better to keep it as an alternate control scheme.

Brussels

anyone up for some G rank stuff?
Maybe some Apex hunting for gems / guild quests or whatever anyone needs?

13-3102-3515-5145
pass 1414

12 hours in two days at the start of the new year is a great way to get back into MH4U. Online hunting has netted me a good G rank armor set. Regios X set with a torso up waist armor because forget getting a Seregios lens. Properly decorated it gives me Evasion +2, Constitution, Bleeding, and Edge Lore. My pride and joy hammer has been the Seditious Hammer. 1300 attack with a hint of purple. The spikes push up when it's charging. This set has taken me from G1 to G2. I think I can take this set all the way to G Crown. I jump stupid far with Evasion +2.

That feeling when you just want to make a weapon and you go from Bone Axe to a Power Honed Lightbreak Axe in one sitting. Pair that with an evasion Honed Blade set and its blasts and cuts for days.

Just picked the game back up after getting into SMT4 far more than I did MH4U when I got my N3DSXL.

Finished off the Shagaru Magala and did some more village quests. Now I'm farming a Rathian Plate to upgrade my current Hunting Horn. 3% drop rate is a kick in the dick, especially since I've got a Rathalos Plate already without even trying. Getting the tail cut, head break and capture all in one fight, so I'm hoping to speed things up. 3 down, innumerable amounts to go.

tuffy

The 3% rate is a little deceiving because you get a lot of chances between the capture, part breaks, tail carves and quest rewards. desiresensor.com can tally them up into your actual odds per monster.

ilium

I'm by no means a proponent of cheating as I think it's dumb and takes the fun out of everything, but in this case I would totally make an exception and create a custom guild quest if it'd be possible.

The RNG in this game is just too damn high, I'm telling ya. ._.

I've never really gotten deep into a MH game but I'm really enjoying 4 so far and I have a question for anyone who cares to answer. Do you stick with one weapon the whole game or do you have a few weapons that you use? So far I'm just sticking to the Charge Blade, but I'm wondering if there's any reason to have a few other weapons upgraded .

tuffy

I've just been sticking with HBG and LBG for the whole game since those are what I'm good at. But a lot of people like to mix things up with different weapon types for variety, because certain weapons do better against certain monsters, and so on.

PKrockin

The weapons I ended up using regularly in 4U were greatsword, sword and shield, hammer, horn, lance, switch axe and heavy bowgun. It would be a real drain on resources and zenny to try to keep all of those weapons upgraded as I progress quickly through the ranks, so I focused on lance and heavy bowgun until G1-G2.

Switching up weapons is great for keeping the game fresh. Not to mention fighting, say, Rajang with the lance sounds like hell. It would also feel like a waste to have this game with hundreds of hours of play time and 12 weapons but only ever use one.

ilium

I started with Bow and went all the way through village and guild with it. Then I expanded my arsenal with Longsword, then LBG and HBG and now i'm mostly using Greatsword since I found a pretty good relic.
I also think changing weapon focus every once in awhile keeps the game fresh and can be fun as heck if another weapon clicks.

I'd say knowing a few weapons just makes things easier and more dynamic. Hammer for Ian, SnS or CB for monsters I don't mind meleeing, LBG for grav and other similarly obnoxious mons.

co1onel

I've never really gotten deep into a MH game but I'm really enjoying 4 so far and I have a question for anyone who cares to answer. Do you stick with one weapon the whole game or do you have a few weapons that you use? So far I'm just sticking to the Charge Blade, but I'm wondering if there's any reason to have a few other weapons upgraded .

I played through the village and guild quests using mostly 3 different weapons. Once I was in end-game content I starting using all of the weapons. You can go through the game using however many weapons you want though. I know someone who had over 2000 uses with the sns and 0 uses with every other weapon because he loves the sns.

Are the craftman's specs worth it? It took me many hours of tries to get an A rank in the Apex Deviljho arena quest. How many years of my life can I expect to sink into the Tigrex Triplets mission to even be half as good as this?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Are the craftman's specs worth it? It took me many hours of tries to get an A rank in the Apex Deviljho arena quest. How many years of my life can I expect to sink into the Tigrex Triplets mission to even be half as good as this?
If you want, we can set up a time and we can do it together; it's not too hard if you are semi-decent with a hammer.

I just picked up gunlance for fun and where has this weapon been all my life.

For starters I'm just using the Steve model with Artian X, trying to look cool but I'm still packing Artillery God and Guard +1 with it. What other good weapons and armor sets are there for GL?

I just picked up gunlance for fun and where has this weapon been all my life.

For starters I'm just using the Steve model with Artian X, trying to look cool but I'm still packing Artillery God and Guard +1 with it. What other good weapons and armor sets are there for GL?

I am partial to full Empress X and a Blast GL. Crit Eye +1, Guard +1, and Explosive Trapper and 11 slots to play with.

gmnc

Neo Member
Hi, i just joined gaf and as a long time MonHun fan this seems a good thread to start.
I'm so looking forward to hunt with you guys, it's a shame i will be really busy for awhile.
I hope to see you all very soon. Happy hunting!

ilium

What's the deal with people joining a lobby who then decide to make a complete new set from scratch ?!

And what's the deal with people hosting a lobby and going afk for literally 30min+ ?!

stop wasting my time ffs D:<

Hi, i just joined gaf and as a long time MonHun fan this seems a good thread to start.
I'm so looking forward to hunt with you guys, it's a shame i will be really busy for awhile.

Welcome on board!

ohlawd

Good taste. awesome thread to lose your GAF virginity

I attempted to solo the triple Tigrex G-arena quest. I completed it twice, but it took 27 minutes each time. Looks like I need help A-ranking this satanic mission, but I'll have to wait until the weekend. Anything I should do to prepare in the meantime?

Also, it would be my first time playing online.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I attempted to solo the triple Tigrex G-arena quest. I completed it twice, but it took 27 minutes each time. Looks like I need help A-ranking this satanic mission, but I'll have to wait until the weekend. Anything I should do to prepare in the meantime?

Also, it would be my first time playing online.
The flow for 2 people should be:
1) Run to trap (eat for stamina at switch). Hit both Tigrex with the trap (if not, restart)
(Hunters should exit from different doors to catch the attention before heading to switch)
2) Immediately run up to the top floor (all battling should be done here)
3) Use Wystones, ready flash bombs and use to separate, go after frenzy if possible, but having 2 1v1s isn't bad either, just take opportunities you see
4) Kill them (mostly golf swing to the head, use R to close distances)
5) Wait on ledge as apex appears and try to get a mount (not necessary)
6) Win

Top Bottom