• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

As of right now, I have never really felt threatened by any monster I've encountered.

I'm almost at high rank already, and I fear that the game is WAY too easy.

Even the new "threatening" monsters like Glavenus go down in just a couple blows.

Mupod

As of right now, I have never really felt threatened by any monster I've encountered.

Even the new "threatening" monsters like Glavenus go down in just a couple blows.

This is why I pick up a new weapon in every game. Low rank is nothing if you're used to G. From what I've heard the real challenge is in the endgame stuff (deviants).

Tendo

Couple of questions for a returning noob.

1.) Do I have to repeat quests between offline and offline? If I do, is there any point to play offline?

2.) In the first little village then the academy there are quest givers at both - do I have to do both or does the academy one also have the village one?

cheesekao

Anyone interested in helping a guy out with the HR2 urgent?

1.) Do I have to repeat quests between offline and offline? If I do, is there any point to play offline?

2.) In the first little village then the academy there are quest givers at both - do I have to do both or does the academy one also have the village one?
1. Village quests are offline only and the monsters have lower life than the ones at the academy and no, if you have done a similar quest in the village, you still have to do the academy version. If you did the academy version offline then yes, it carries over to online mode.

2. As stated above, the academy quests are geared towards co-op play as the monsters have higher health.

Kinsei

Banned

1) You mean village quests and Hub quests? Yes and yes. The village quests unlock new hunter arts, trading items, food ingredients, and so on. The offline Hub and online Hub quests carry over between each other.

2) By Academy do you mean the Hub? Those are the multiplayer quests.

Tendo

Anyone interested in helping a guy out with the HR2 urgent?

1. Village quests are offline only and the monsters have lower life than the ones at the academy and no, if you have done a similar quest in the village, you still have to do the academy version. If you did the academy version offline then yes, it carries over to online mode.

2. As stated above, the academy quests are geared towards co-op play as the monsters have higher health.

1) You mean village quests and Hub quests? Yes and yes. The village quests unlock new hunter arts, trading items, food ingredients, and so on. The offline Hub and online Hub quests carry over between each other.

2) By Academy do you mean the Hub? Those are the multiplayer quests.

Thanks guys!

Pejo

So after a day of small monsters and gathering on Sunday, I dug into real hunting yesterday after work, put a solid 5 hours in. So good!

I painstakingly made a set of Ceanataur armor, and gemmed in so that I have Expert+2 and Sharpness, it's a really good blademaster set for that early into the game, I feel. Just don't forget to take it off before fighting a zinogre.

I'm looking around at available Insect Glaives for my level, and I made myself one of the paralyze variants from the Najarala. The first upgrade that gets it to a usable status (dmg 100) requires a Mizutsune tail. I saw in MHX Dex that there IS a low rank Mizutsune, can anyone tell me where I go to fight it? I didn't see it in any available quests up to Village 3* or Guild 2*.

tuffy

I'm looking around at available Insect Glaives for my level, and I made myself one of the paralyze variants from the Najarala. The first upgrade that gets it to a usable status (dmg 100) requires a Mizutsune tail. I saw in MHX Dex that there IS a low rank Mizutsune, can anyone tell me where I go to fight it? I didn't see it in any available quests up to Village 3* or Guild 2*.
Pretty sure the first proper hunting quest for it is Village 5*.

Pejo

Pretty sure the first proper hunting quest for it is Village 5*.

Yuck. How about a gather quest that has a chance for it to show up?

I thought I read a few pages ago about a gaffer that killed one on a Bulldrome quest, but I can't find it.

tuffy

Yuck. How about a gather quest that has a chance for it to show up?

I thought I read a few pages ago about a gaffer that killed one on a Bulldrome quest, but I can't find it.
He shows up as an intruder monster in that 3* Bulldrome quest, but 3x the usual health makes it a really impractical hunt. You're really not supposed to fight him at that point.

spiritfox

He shows up as an intruder monster in that 3* Bulldrome quest, but 3x the usual health makes it a really impractical hunt. You're really not supposed to fight him at that point.

Well, if he just needs the tail, he can cut the tail and hope for a carve, then finish the quest.

Cocaine_

Neo Member

If you're determined, you can try cutting its tail in the Village 3* quest where you hunt a Bulldrome in Misty Peaks (I think it's called Forest Fracas?). It's kind of a key quest where are supposed to encounter one of the Fated Four and run away before you get your ass whooped.

Just be careful. Technically you're not supposed to run into it until Village 5*, so you might be underpowered. Just don't stand in front of it and watch out for that water spray attack.

edit: Bulldrome, not Bullfango

Cocaine_

Neo Member
How far can I use the Bulldrome and Jaggi armor that GijinHunter recommended into Village quests?

He just tweeted that he used it until about HR 5, so that's like most of the Village lol. Swap it out once you find yourself getting one or two shot, as you'll need higher points in defence.

Pejo

If you're determined, you can try cutting its tail in the Village 3* quest where you hunt a Bulldrome in Misty Peaks (I think it's called Forest Fracas?).

Thanks guys, this is what I'm going to try to do. I'll go for the tail and see if I can get it that way. I assume the tail has 3x the HP to cut it as well?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Uhm, i equipped Psychic, but it didn't tell me when the monster was in trappable range.
Do i need the 15-point one? What the hell is the 10-point one (monster icon becomes a frog icon that's red\blue) for, then?

tuffy

Uhm, i equipped Psychic, but it didn't tell me when the monster was in trappable range.
Do i need the 15-point one? What the hell is the 10-point one (monster icon becomes a frog icon that's red\blue) for, then?
Psychic (and Autotracker) tell you where a monster is on the map, not whether or not it is capture-able. You need Capture Guru for that.

georly

Decided to start using bow last night - what's a good low rank bow i should aim for? I'm just using the maccao one for now since it's the best i have, but i'm rank 2 online and rank 3 in the village.

The new weapon upgrade system seems weird to me, but i guess it just lets you preview other available options more clearly than before?

Dipship31

Anyone have a good early Long Sword build? Feels like it's taking me forever to take down monsters with this thing. Took me 30 minutes to down a Tetsucabra last night. This is my first go around with the long sword. I watched the Gaijin tutorial on the moveset and how the charging works so I have that down. Just wondering if my sword especially is just not up to snuff. I'm just using the serrated sword that does 80 dmg. I'm into my offline 2 star quests and still plugging through HR1.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have a good early Long Sword build? Feels like it's taking me forever to take down monsters with this thing. Took me 30 minutes to down a Tetsucabra last night. This is my first go around with the long sword. I watched the Gaijin tutorial on the moveset and how the charging works so I have that down. Just wondering if my sword especially is just not up to snuff. I'm just using the serrated sword that does 80 dmg. I'm into my offline 2 star quests and still plugging through HR1.
Are you attacking its weak point? It's the tail when it's slightly engorged.

ohlawd

49-5511-1254-1064

2 star non-keys. gathering and prowler quests first. got about 5, I think. small monsters after. there are two fucking quests that involve killing 50 insects each. Cap gonna Cap

I'm not very far but some low-level monsters have been acting straight-up stupid.

How are the weapons stacking up in this game? I'm using the Hammer with Guild Style, which means this game plays almost identically to 4U for me (only with a less interesting progression, no G-Rank, and a worse framerate...). Does anyone have any recommendations for a Weapon/Style to mix things up for me? My biggest hangup about some of the other weapons is that certain items are required to make them work (I just can't be bothered with "phials" or "kinsects"). I'm not averse to using a ranged weapon, but isn't aiming a huge pain in the ass if you have a regular 3DS XL?

Cocaine_

Neo Member
Decided to start using bow last night - what's a good low rank bow i should aim for? I'm just using the maccao one for now since it's the best i have, but i'm rank 2 online and rank 3 in the village.

The new weapon upgrade system seems weird to me, but i guess it just lets you preview other available options more clearly than before?

Not sure if you prefer rapid or spread, but if you're in the former category then there aren't that many good options :(

As for spread, I picked up the Rathian bow, which I *think* you have access to at HR 2? It's Spread Lv 3

Mupod

as was said already, capture guru/perception is what tells you when they are ready for capture. They need to be marked with a paintball (or autotracker aka psychic) and their map icon will start flashing.

Autotracker is kind of pointless in a way but not totally useless. You can see which direction the monster is facing, so you can get a head start on where it might be flying off to. Also a great way to tell when they are asleep, and differentiate two different monsters if there are multiples present.

cheesekao

How are the weapons stacking up in this game? I'm using the Hammer with Guild Style, which means this game plays almost identically to 4U for me (only with a less interesting progression, no G-Rank, and a worse framerate...). Does anyone have any recommendations for a Weapon/Style to mix things up for me? My biggest hangup about some of the other weapons is that certain items are required to make them work (I just can't be bothered with "phials" or "kinsects"). I'm not averse to using a ranged weapon, but isn't aiming a huge pain in the ass if you have a regular 3DS XL?
I find Dual Blades to be really fun to use. Aerial style is really god for large monsters.

georly

Not sure if you prefer rapid or spread, but if you're in the former category then there aren't that many good options :(

As for spread, I picked up the Rathian bow, which I *think* you have access to at HR 2? It's Spread Lv 3

I don't know enough about bow to have a preference in the shot types. I just aim and shoot and make sure i'm at critical range and repeat until dead.

Also, do more coatings become available in the store later on? Crafting them seems like a huge waste of money. 1 item + 1 vial = 1 shot? Ouch, no thanks. Like exhaust coating is insane. 20 mopeshrooms per run? No thanks.

ngower

I'm currently working towards the BuJaBuJaBu armor but I've found that I absolutely loathe some of the early weapons. Is there a long sword and/or dual blades that can be earned early in the game that could last me through some of this early game stuff? (Sorry if it's been asked, search turned up nothing)

I find Dual Blades to be really fun to use. Aerial style is really god for large monsters.

I'll give them a shot!

And I'm curious: is this game making anyone want to go back to 4U? I put 150+ hours into that game, but I feel like there's so much more for me to do. I miss that challenge.

Cocaine_

Neo Member

On gunning: Aiming sucks without a right stick, which I believe the 3DS XL has? Just make sure you use control type 1. That being said, the Bow is a blast and is tremendously simple for Blademasters to use due to it's mobility, effective range (either a backhop or two backhops away), and infinite ammo (not including coatings, which are simple enough).

As for mixing it up as a Blademaster, try these three:

SnS, any style: If you really want to KO some monsters like a good Hammerbro but want something new, try the SnS. It's KO/Exhaust values for its shield slaps got massively buffed, it got the exhaust coating which is wickedly OP, and the Shoryugeki has obscene KO/exhaust values if you can land it. All of the arts are good so I recommend Striker, but I really like the wind-up combo for its super armor so I would personally play Guild.

Switch Axe, Aerial: SA has always been my "fun weapon", as the reload mechanic takes about two seconds to figure out (Sword uses gauge, Axe builds gauge. Never reload unless off a ledge), and it pumps out crazy damage with very fun combos. Aerial style makes it even more fun by adding the vaulting with those crazy jumping swings. I highly recommend it.

Lance, Striker: Lance was changed from MH4U, and it was my favourite in that game due to the satisfying simplicity of the poke-poke-poke-dodge combo. Guild now changed it, but Striker retains the classic 3-hit combo. Enraged Guard and Absolute Evade will be your arts of choice. The Lance at first seems clunky and slow but with practice becomes a super aggressive and consistent weapon. It feels very satisfying to hold your ground against some of the more fearsome monsters.

If Lancing seems like your bag, send me a message and I'll get you connected with some good videos to get you started.

spiritfox

I don't know enough about bow to have a preference in the shot types. I just aim and shoot and make sure i'm at critical range and repeat until dead.

Also, do more coatings become available in the store later on? Crafting them seems like a huge waste of money. 1 item + 1 vial = 1 shot? Ouch, no thanks. Like exhaust coating is insane. 20 mopeshrooms per run? No thanks.

You can buy vials in the store soon.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I was mostly focusing on its tail through the battle. Seems like battles are just taking longer for me in MHG than they did in MH4U. I did Greatsword main that one though
Hmm well the weak point changes when it's not engorged.

I was using aerial switch axe and had zero problems with him and I was a LOT more aggressive than I was in MH4U. I also broke his tusks on top of that, so I dunno what else would've caused it to last longer unless you had a low atk LS or were fighting it yourself in guild?

I find the hunts to be a lot shorter than the past iterations though; ESPECIALLY compared to the PS versions...

Top Bottom