• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Edit: with this you mean you don't put the arts on the screen at all? I've tried that, but not being able to see the bar is annoying since I don't know which is the art that charged when it sounds.

Now if ONLY I could use R and L for the arts and ZR and LR for running/items, that would be amazing.

I got used to use ZR and ZL as my default R and L in MH4U, so using the small ones again does not feel natural.

No, I've put the horizontal HA bar at the top of my bottom screen so that I can see which ones are charged. What I meant was that if you only have use for 2 arts (guild style), you can assign them to slots 2 & 3 so that you can activate them with ZL and ZR. This way the HA bar only takes 2 spaces compared to the 3 needed for the vertical one.

anyone interested in doing some 3* quests? I rushed through it and I realize there are a lot I didn't do. Lagi, among others...
code is 19 9244 2816 4430

Switch Axe aerial style seems ridiculously strong in this game so far.

They might as well could have renamed it Sword Axe because sword mode is all you need now.

You can spam jumping attacks and mount them monsters like there's no tomorrow. They won't even know what hit 'em. You even get two hits out of one jump when attacking out of sword mode.

This playstyle almost feels out of place since the monsters I've fought so far seem unable to do something about it. It makes the game considerably easier and the quests shorter.

I'm currently only at HR3 so far but I'm already getting the feeling there's a high chance this playable is going to work well until end game.

Can't wait to get Demon Sword and Energy Charge to level 3 and see how far I can max out damage potential with this weapon type.

Cerity

Just partied up with a few mates and tackled HR1-2 in prowler mode. Would buy the shit out of a standalone game based on it, just turn up the ridiculousness and stylishness.

Sane_Man

Can anyone please help me with the HR1 urgent quest? I'm happy to help with anything else after.

18-0131-6772-1245
password: 1111

Beat the village Glavenus intruder quest and all I got were scales from body carves and the tail too. Welcome back Monster Hunter. :eek:k_hand:

ChrisD

Is it me, or did MH4U look sharper and more vibrant? At least in the town.. (Probably just me, I just did a quick comparison.)

Generations' towns definitely look bad in comparison to 4U's. The areas that were brought back from PSP and Wii also look... somewhat lacking. The Marshlands' wheat fields are a total joke in comparison to FU's.

Though from the large amount I've played, I feel the game as a whole looks about the same in motion.

You can spam jumping attacks and mount them monsters like there's no tomorrow. They won't even know what hit 'em. You even get two hits out of one jump when attacking out of sword mode.

This playstyle almost feels out of place since the monsters I've fought so far seem unable to do something about it. It makes the game considerably easier and the quests shorter.

I'm currently only at HR3 so far but I'm already getting the feeling there's a high chance this playable is going to work well until end game.

Yeah, my Aerial Hammer seems to be demolishing everything, and it doesn't even have the roll-attack of SwAxe. Deviants are a different story, but the entire Village is just crumbling into pieces. Super fun playstyle, but I don't think the devs put it into consideration that everything can mount with ease now. I feel like the required hit count should go up, or the sweet-spot to gain a mounting hit be made much smaller.

Though the bigger thing is just how low everyone's health is in Offline Village. That's got nothing to do with Styles or Hunter Arts. It's very much a cause and effect thing, where mounting feels a LOT stronger than it may actually be because you really only need one or two before death.

Just partied up with a few mates and tackled HR1-2 in prowler mode. Would buy the shit out of a standalone game based on it, just turn up the ridiculousness and stylishness.

My brother has played >16 hours as Prowler and is loving it. I don't like them at all, the attacks felt meh to use. :/

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know how to switch to the rainbow armor pigment once you've unlocked it? I still only see the default set when I go to edit appearance.

ChrisD

the new weapon craft system is very strange. I don't like it at all.

It's okay, and I've some complaints against it, but they're heavily outweighed by just how much variety it gives to the late game... Not that I've reached such a point yet, but it seems that the new system is closely intertwined with how they put SO MANY Weapons into the game.

delume

About 28 hours in and still loving it. Currently I am bouncing between the Eager Cleaver and Wyvern Blade Verde but I still don't quite get the weapon upgrade system. Do I pick one (probably Eager Cleaver) and focus on upgrading it as much as possible or do I upgrade lots of long swords then buy the different swords that unlocks? Pretty confusing and I don't want to waste valuable resources on weapons that won eventually move me forward. Any expert advice out there?

Pejo

the new weapon craft system is very strange. I don't like it at all.

I kinda like the fact that after you have leveled the base up high enough, you can see all the branches it contains from in-game, instead of needing to go to kiranico or MHX Dex.

Switch Axe aerial style seems ridiculously strong in this game so far.

They might as well could have renamed it Sword Axe because sword mode is all you need now.

Can't wait to get Demon Sword and Energy Charge to level 3 and see how far I can max out damage potential with this weapon type.

It's RIDICULOUSLY good with energy charge.

But, SA has some amazing arts, which makes leaving striker behind tough.

To the people who think high rank is to easy, just wait.

Hyper monster hit like a fucking truck and deviants are fantastic. They have some new moves that can wreck you so quickly.

About 28 hours in and still loving it. Currently I am bouncing between the Eager Cleaver and Wyvern Blade Verde but I still don't quite get the weapon upgrade system. Do I pick one (probably Eager Cleaver) and focus on upgrading it as much as possible or do I upgrade lots of long swords then buy the different swords that unlocks? Pretty confusing and I don't want to waste valuable resources on weapons that won eventually move me forward. Any expert advice out there?

I did LS in MH4U and did what you are doing. LS is kind of on the fence when it comes to elements, where GS doesn't need them at all and DB almost requires them. It seems like the Nargacuga and Tigrine branches are pretty good all purpose branches if you don't want to collect 'em all.

I'm only 5 hours in, but that's from what I've read here and elsewhere.

Fistwell

Look up a weapon tree out there and figure out what you'll want to be using for end game. Or just wing it and upgrade what seems useful/fun. Grinding mats to upgrade stuff is half the fun! ;D
But, yeah, I usually try to upgrade a few different elements. If you only have your thunder sword and you're playing a thunder resistant monster, it can be a drag. Although, this early in the game, everything dies pretty quick regardless. Still, long term it's convenient to have an arsenal of different elements to choose from.

You're that Fir guy from earlier, right? (Selenae here)

Is Maccao sensitive to small bombs? It flinched every time I threw a small bomb at it, I was playing as felyne.
Maccao is sensitive to hate and harsh language.

Look up a weapon tree out there and figure out what you'll want to be using for end game. Or just wing it and upgrade what seems useful/fun. Grinding mats to upgrade stuff is half the fun! ;D
But, yeah, I usually try to upgrade a few different elements. If you only have your thunder sword and you're playing a thunder resistant monster, it can be a drag. Although, this early in the game, everything dies pretty quick regardless. Still, long term it's convenient to have an arsenal of different elements to choose from.

You're that Fir guy from earlier, right? (Selenae here)

Maccao is sensitive to hate and harsh language.

Ugh, I just don't understand why they had to change the upgrade system. It doesn't seem like an improvement at all.

ChrisD

I'm not an expert, but I think the general gist of things is that you upgrade a weapon until you find another path you'd like to branch onto. From there it just repeats, upgrade it to it's max, or branch out (if the weapon has a branch, of course).

With that in mind, focusing on one weapon seems to be the way to go, because it's also opening up new paths along the way. If you just want a specific weapon, definitely look up a guide to see what paths you need to take.

The new weapon upgrade system is indeed a mess. I hope they go back to the traditional system for the next MH games.

As for your question, I think it's cool to have lots of different weapons. Eager Cleaver has thunder element, and it won't work well against Lagiacrus and other thunder resistant monsters. Wyvern Blade Verde on the other hand may have lower raw attack, but can cause poison, and it works really well against Lagiacrus and other monsters that are weak to poison.

So yeah, there's no one special go to weapon, it depends on the monster you are fighting, that's why it's better to have lots of them.

You can check the LS weapon tree here: http://mhgen.kiranico.com/longsword (this link is tragic by the way, do we have better (more visual) weapons trees out in the net?)

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I don't really get weapon upgrading either. Been using Hunting Horn so I've only been leveling up the base horns to keep the same song list. Even if I did see a horn down an upgrade branch that looked alright I'd be hesitant to switch my horn over to it because I wouldn't know how far down the new horn's upgrade path I could go, so I'd be potentially stuck with a weaker weapon. Feels like yet another thing I'm going to have to pore over charts on Kiranico in order to do properly.

yas at the massive weapon upgrade drags, I have only seen negative comments about it

#MakeMonsterHunterGreatAgain
joke the game is still awesome

FbK79Jg.gif

Cerity

The changes to the upgrade system is really just to get people to farm and craft more weapons. It doesn't bother me that much as I've always pretty much crafted every branch but it is a pretty shitty system.

I actually like the new upgrade system. It makes more weapons viable and allows upgrades to occur more incrementally.

I've heard a lot of people complain about it, but I haven't really heard any real reason why. Pretty much nobody plays these games blind, so the number of weapons available shouldn't really tangle anybody up.

delume

Thanks for the advice everyone! The more I play the more I feel shame for sleeping on this series in the past. 😞

So i got the game. a few questions. I am by no means a MH expert.

The game looks incredibly pixelated and nowhere near as sharp as MH4. Is this running Sub Native res? It certainly looks like it.

Secondly, i was under the impression this was a more action-based MH (ala DMC or something) with more emphasis on fast fluid combat. Is that another game i am thinking about? Why does this game feel exactly like MH4? (not that its bad, it just, so far, literally feels like an expansion pack to MH4)

The upgrade system really makes me unsure if i'm on the right path, really I just have a lot of boorish upgraded default weapons (as in out the box at the start) as a result.

Malfestio has some sturdy talons, I swear it just wont get knocked over more than once per fight, must have impeccable balance.

Quoting myself now i've tried this aerial switch axe....
well that certainly keeps the guy's beak in the floor.

Kinsei

Banned
I've had abysmal luck with Ceanataur. Only one of the five that I've fought have started with a Gravios skull shell and I need wyvern scalps.

Beats

They went ham on the bug quests in High Rank. Did this kill 50 Vespoid and 20 Hornetaur quest cause I needed some materials from them. I think the highest one in 4U was kill 30 Bnahabra in G-rank. It didn't take as long as I thought, but it was still pretty long. Deviljho showed up in the middle of it at least, so it didn't end up being only a small monster quest.

Top Bottom