• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Doorman

So, a question for the gunner bros out there: Has it been figured out how much of a damage buff the HBG's gunpowder load art actually gives? Is it enough of a bump to speed up fights in a meaningful way? The art itself builds up quickly enough that it seems like it could be great, unless the boost is totally minimal.

I want to have a ranged weapon to go with in this game and I was initially leaning bow, but I think I'd rather use the bowgun as long as I can get it to work servicably. I'm having trouble picking between going Black Mage and just focusing on element damage with the LBG, or going for higher raw damage payout with the Heavy (which I feel might be better when playing solo). If the gunpowder art is a real boon, that may help sway my decision.

tuffy

So, a question for the gunner bros out there: Has it been figured out how much of a damage buff the HBG's gunpowder load art actually gives? Is it enough of a bump to speed up fights in a meaningful way? The art itself builds up quickly enough that it seems like it could be great, unless the boost is totally minimal.
Pretty sure it's a 10% boost to all shots. The load covers more shots at higher art levels, so I've found it mostly painless to interrupt a regular reload with a gunpowder infusion (doing both at the same time, basically) in order to keep it going for most of the fight.

Hybris

I mean, some are already there - power 1,2, poison, paint, etc. Are they going to *all* be there eventually or just some and i have to craft the rest?

You can buy them all but you should also always bring combine materials for power and c.range so you can make more on the hunt if/when you run out.

On gunning: Aiming sucks without a right stick, which I believe the 3DS XL has? Just make sure you use control type 1. That being said, the Bow is a blast and is tremendously simple for Blademasters to use due to it's mobility, effective range (either a backhop or two backhops away), and infinite ammo (not including coatings, which are simple enough).

As for mixing it up as a Blademaster, try these three:

SnS, any style: If you really want to KO some monsters like a good Hammerbro but want something new, try the SnS. It's KO/Exhaust values for its shield slaps got massively buffed, it got the exhaust coating which is wickedly OP, and the Shoryugeki has obscene KO/exhaust values if you can land it. All of the arts are good so I recommend Striker, but I really like the wind-up combo for its super armor so I would personally play Guild.

Switch Axe, Aerial: SA has always been my "fun weapon", as the reload mechanic takes about two seconds to figure out (Sword uses gauge, Axe builds gauge. Never reload unless off a ledge), and it pumps out crazy damage with very fun combos. Aerial style makes it even more fun by adding the vaulting with those crazy jumping swings. I highly recommend it.

Lance, Striker: Lance was changed from MH4U, and it was my favourite in that game due to the satisfying simplicity of the poke-poke-poke-dodge combo. Guild now changed it, but Striker retains the classic 3-hit combo. Enraged Guard and Absolute Evade will be your arts of choice. The Lance at first seems clunky and slow but with practice becomes a super aggressive and consistent weapon. It feels very satisfying to hold your ground against some of the more fearsome monsters.

If Lancing seems like your bag, send me a message and I'll get you connected with some good videos to get you started.

Thanks for this write-up, man! You may have sold me on SA/SnS (in that order), but I still don't know if I can hang with the Lance; I've just never enjoyed my time messing around with it.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Finding the right Palico to make a Boomerang Prowler has become a hunt in on itself.

I hired a Palico with Emergency Retreat, Big Boomerang, Weapon Upgrade, Attack Up L, Affinity Up L, and Boomerang Pro.

The problem I have with this Palico is that the Fur coating is completely ugly to me (It looks like a darker Salamander Orange color) so here I'm checking the Palico Granny after every quest hoping to find a similar Palico with a better Fur color.

Mupod

Adept in general just feels almost unfair in low rank. SA in particular, nothing can touch me and the dodge window is so long I'm immune to monster roars. You don't normally get things like evade+2 and earplugs until later on in other games.

Finding the right Palico to make a Boomerang Prowler has become a hunt in on itself.

I hired a Palico with Emergency Retreat, Big Boomerang, Weapon Upgrade, Attack Up L, Affinity Up L, and Boomerang Pro.

The problem I have with this Palico is that the Fur coating is completely ugly to me (It looks like a darker Salamander Orange color) so here I'm checking the Palico Granny after every quest hoping to find a similar Palico with a better Fur color.

I just set her to look for a cat based on looks and I check her after every round. You don't need EVERY skill since it's not like you can equip everything and you can teach them one additional support skill/passive ability. But yeah I've yet to find one with everything I want. Thankfully names aren't unique - I was worried I'd have to delete my primary cat in order to name his replacement the same thing. I dismissed a cat once and saw that cutscene...never again...

Thanks for this write-up, man! You may have sold me on SA/SnS (in that order), but I still don't know if I can hang with the Lance; I've just never enjoyed my time messing around with it.

Lance is all about figuring out the monster so you can capitalize on the offensive. It is one of the most agressive weapons in the game tbh.

I personally prefer Guard Lancing, which refers to getting Guard+ skills to not get any kind of damage while shield and counterstriking with windups (strong attacks push the hunter a bit back, recieve some small damage, and the counterstrike will be a slow forwarding strike instead of a fast upward strike if you don't have guard+ skills). And with evade art you can move away from unblockable attacks like firebeams etc.

There's evade lancing, which is all about attacking with little repercussions and being on the toe of the monster at all times.

A lot of people can keep up when the monster moves thanks due to the extended backhop which is pretty great.

I feel like Adept is going to get nerfed on the next game, either smaller perfect dodge window or monsters get more multihits attacks that have more tracking.

spiritfox

Adept in general just feels almost unfair in low rank. SA in particular, nothing can touch me and the dodge window is so long I'm immune to monster roars. You don't normally get things like evade+2 and earplugs until later on in other games.

I just set her to look for a cat based on looks and I check her after every round. You don't need EVERY skill since it's not like you can equip everything and you can teach them one additional support skill/passive ability. But yeah I've yet to find one with everything I want. Thankfully names aren't unique - I was worried I'd have to delete my primary cat in order to name his replacement the same thing. I dismissed a cat once and saw that cutscene...never again...

Dismiss through the Meowtress. No cutscene there.

This bugs me as well! I just want a ping radar on my screen to go along with the rest of my stuff, man.

I've solved this today after reading more of the thread. Actually you CAN set up HAs however you like and leave the first slot empty. So by setting HA2 and HA3 to ZL/ZR I've come up with this setup:

HA1 - HA2 - HA3
Map - Radar blip
Map - Lock-on

Suits my guild styling perfectly!

Hybris

I've solved this today after reading more of the thread. Actually you CAN set up HAs however you like and leave the first slot empty. So by setting HA2 and HA3 to ZL/ZR I've come up with this setup:

HA1 - HA2 - HA3
Map - Radar blip
Map - Lock-on

I have:
Map - Lock-on
Map - 2 item shortcut (might seed, lifepowder atm)
HA1 - HA2 - HA3

I thought this wasn't possible at first but then I discovered the horizontal HAs make it possible. Radar blip is easy enough to get to (Start > x) so I don't see the need to have a touch screen button slot for that. I much rather have quick access to lifepowder for teammates.

SpotAnime

Newb question - I'm still trying to learn MH3U, but I've heard great things about the tutorials in MHG. Will those help me learn MH3U and MH4U better, or are the tutorials specific to MHG?

Mupod

I really need to fix my shortcuts too. I used to have paintballs on the touch screen for example, I completely forgot about it until I found my muscle memory reaching for something that wasn't there.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is there a good resource for "suggested armor sets", particularly for early stuff (LR -> starting HR)? This is the problem I face in every MH game...

Some good discussion regarding quests on MH sub:

8o2oh3Q.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/4tl7vi/mhgen_x_mh4u_comparaison_solo_quest/

Note that this is NOT taking into account deviant monsters.

georly

You can buy them all but you should also always bring combine materials for power and c.range so you can make more on the hunt if/when you run out.

Gotcha. I don't plan on doing that any time soon though, but good to know the reason for it. (and i might not have to since no g rank)

What does c. range do?

Hybris

Gotcha. I don't plan on doing that any time soon though, but good to know the reason for it. (and i might not have to since no g rank)

What does c. range do?

C. range has the same effect as power, but it also changes your critical distance to that of a spread bow, so very close range.

Ohnonono

Goal tonight is to get to Village Nargacuga and FAAAAAAARM that dude. Had so much fun hunting him in MHFU. Gonna make his SnS and GS.

HA1 - HA2 - HA3
Map - Radar blip
Map - Lock-on

Edit: with this you mean you don't put the arts on the screen at all? I've tried that, but not being able to see the bar is annoying since I don't know which is the art that charged when it sounds.

Now if ONLY I could use R and L for the arts and ZR and LR for running/items, that would be amazing.

I got used to use ZR and ZL as my default R and L in MH4U, so using the small ones again does not feel natural.

Just fought Gammoth.

The only monster in the village quests to really give me trouble thus far. That pin attack is something. Didn't know it had one until it carted me. I'll bring dung bombs next time...

Cocaine_

Neo Member
Ugh. I'm kind of caught in a pickle here.

I'm trying to farm the Mizutsune gear. I've killed 4 today and basically got nothing except bubbles, scales and fur. I'm rolling Blade Wire on my Bow now to try and cut this guy's tail, but no luck so far. I guess I have to go for captures if I'm a gunner, eh?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I really do not have good memories of doing Nargacuga as a gunner.
Perhaps the bow will serve me right... Or just 4-trap the fucker. Aerial SA is a mad clutch though.

Ugh. I'm kind of caught in a pickle here.

I'm trying to farm the Mizutsune gear. I've killed 4 today and basically got nothing except bubbles, scales and fur. I'm rolling Blade Wire on my Bow now to try and cut this guy's tail, but no luck so far. I guess I have to go for captures if I'm a gunner, eh?

why would you -not- go for captures, in any case?
Captures are awesome.

Hybris

I really do not have good memories of doing Nargacuga as a gunner.
Perhaps the bow will serve me right... Or just 4-trap the fucker. Aerial SA is a mad clutch though.

why would you -not- go for captures, in any case?
Captures are awesome.

Caps aren't always better. Depends on the monster and what material you are going for.

Gala

I'm HR3 now in multiplayer and running Tetsucabra armor with Adept Bow. What armor and bow should I go for? I'm pretty new to this whole gunner thing.

Aureon

Caps aren't always better. Depends on the monster and what material you are going for.

Yes, but on the default, they mean a 25% shorter hunt. Well worth the 600z of tranquillizers and traps.

I'm HR3 now in multiplayer and running Tetsucabra armor with Adept Bow. What armor and bow should I go for? I'm pretty new to this whole gunner thing.

FastCharge is the word for bows.
Mega dash juices are also awesome.

Doorman

Pretty sure it's a 10% boost to all shots. The load covers more shots at higher art levels, so I've found it mostly painless to interrupt a regular reload with a gunpowder infusion (doing both at the same time, basically) in order to keep it going for most of the fight.

Ten percent is a pretty solid boost. The thought of gunpowder-aided Crag shots is pretty salivating.

Guess I'll just toy around with both and pick, since I realize now how much the multi-load art for the LBG helps its team support role. Not having to manually reload to fire off healing or armor/demon shots makes that a lot more palatable to me than it used to be.

Pejo

Is there a list of all secondary uses for items in the MH franchise? I know a handful of them, but I'm finding out exactly how much I still have to learn about this series.

Stuff like dung bombs getting you out of pinned status, Sushifish stopping bleeding, etc.

Kinsei

Banned
Yes, but on the default, they mean a 25% shorter hunt. Well worth the 600z of tranquillizers and traps.

It's only 25% shorter if you have capture guru since by the time the monster limps (if they limp at all) then it'll die in like 30 seconds.

Capping is boring. Unless I need materials that I have a higher chance of getting from a capture then I kill. Same goes for online (unless someone says beforehand that they want to cap, I'm not a complete asshole).

how do you unlock the 3 star Bulldrome quest? wanna try fighting this Mizu-whatever

Do all of the 2* and 3* Yukumo village elder quests. You should do this for all of the villages anyway since you need to beat the 3* intruder quests in order to unlock some 5* key quests.

I had to buy a grip for my new Nintendo 3ds because of this game. My hands would cramp due to my pretty big hands. I love monster hunter.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
how do you unlock the 3 star Bulldrome quest? wanna try fighting this Mizu-whatever
Just keep doing Yukumo Village Request in Village 3* specifically the requests made by the Yukumo Elder.

Kinsei

Banned
Anyone else find themselves wishing this game had a different selection of areas? Why bring back the Dunes after it was ruined in MH4U? It's now the worst area in the series. I understand why they brought back the Deserted Island but I would have much preferred the (not so) Flooded Forest from P3rd instead. It greatly benefited by having the water drained out and went from one of my most hated areas in the series to one of my most loved. Where's the Eternal Forest and Jungle from 2nd Gen?

I wish they had gone the MHFU route and just had every area from the past games in there.

Vibed

Gen has a higher large monster count and Deviants are exceedingly more varied than the HR variants found in 4 that are just tougher versions, which pads those numbers.

What is the exact number of large monsters compared to 4U? I was having difficulty finding a pure numbers comparison.

Aureon

It's only 25% shorter if you have capture guru since by the time the monster limps (if they limp at all) then it'll die in like 30 seconds.

Or pop another enrage and be annoying for five more minutes, especially when you're doing the hub solo : )

Top Bottom