• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Boney

Banned
The game starts infuriatingly slow!

If my memory serves me right MH4U was much better in this regard. I hope I am almost done with 2 star quests but so far 90% of the quests have been boring fetch quests or kill x amount of small monsters. On top of that, when I finally get to fight a monster they are so easy that they also feel like a grind.

Correct me if I am wrong but the difficulty was quite high even on early monster in MHtri. I remember feeling intimidated by the Great Jaggi.

Now everything feels like a grind. If I did not know that an amazing games is buried somewhere below all this fluff I would have given up a long time ago.
Every time th beginning will feel worse and worse since you get a lot better at the game and know which items are worth to get early on and that most likely there will be more efficient ways to get them after a while. Same with monsters difficulties. I was LTTP with 4 and it was a major drag, but with this one since I'm also playing online I don't mind this as all since I feel like I'm slowly stocking up and building my town which will help me out on multiplayer.

Vuze

If my memory serves me right MH4U was much better in this regard. I hope I am almost done with 2 star quests but so far 90% of the quests have been boring fetch quests or kill x amount of small monsters. On top of that, when I finally get to fight a monster they are so easy that they also feel like a grind.

Correct me if I am wrong but the difficulty was quite high even on early monster in MHtri. I remember feeling intimidated by the Great Jaggi.

Now everything feels like a grind. If I did not know that an amazing games is buried somewhere below all this fluff I would have given up a long time ago.
MH4U had the best beginning yet imo. Starting the game with the Dahren Mohran encounter was great even if it wasn't a super fast-paced bad-ass battle. MHGen is such a letdown in regards to pacing, story and presentation.

Plus what Boney said.

Fandangox

How/Where do I go about combining items? :eek:

Go to your item box and one of the bottom options should read "combine" You can also combine on your item pouch, useful if you need extra traps or such.

Buy Book of Combos from the mart and keep them at the box and combine the items there, the books raises the chances of a successful combination.

Vuze

I forgot to ask, I need Rhenopolos Scalps bad, anyone know the best mission that have a lot of Rhenopolos in them?
ACJLqHO.png

Ura quest has 10 rheno sub
Clash of rivals has Rhenos and Bullfangos in the arena (goal is 30pc combined)

E: Sry, wanted to add to previous post

Mupod

MH4U's pacing, writing and story presentation was miles better. I'm back to skipping through dialogue again.

This game has no shortage of large monster variety but it's really frontloaded with garbage quests. But like any other MH game, it lets up on those...unless you want to upgrade your farm and food. Hope you like playing as a cat then (it's starting to grow on me actually).

As for difficulty, eh it's about the same as the last few games. Since P3rd, village low rank has been a walk in the park. You're just more experienced now.

I forgot to ask, I need Rhenopolos Scalps bad, anyone know the best mission that have a lot of Rhenopolos in them?

As a general rule I always just do a small monsters quest to kill that monster type...even if you don't end up killing a TON of them, you get some in the quest rewards.

Cocaine_

Neo Member

The good part is that there is very few gathering quests once you get through that initial slog. Also if you stick to doing key quests you won't have to suffer very long. This game is not kind to the completionists :(

Shengar

MH4U's pacing, writing and story presentation was miles better. I'm back to skipping through dialogue again.

This game has no shortage of large monster variety but it's really frontloaded with garbage quests. But like any other MH game, it lets up on those...unless you want to upgrade your farm and food. Hope you like playing as a cat then (it's starting to grow on me actually).

As for difficulty, eh it's about the same as the last few games. Since P3rd, village low rank has been a walk in the park. You're just more experienced now.

I think the X in Monster Hunter X stands for eXperiment. It just used as a commemoration game that fill the gap just before the next mainline release whilst doing some gameplay experiment that could be included for MH5. The problem is when Capcom feels they need to make MHG worth buying besides the gameplay improvement by padding out content just because it could win a list war against 4U.

PKrockin

You can just get to HR4 to unlock some of the farm stuff and then HR5 to unlock all of it, I believe. The ingredients are where you'll have to do a ton of single player stuff to unlock, but luckily that's shared online so you can postpone that quite a bit.

MH4U absolutely did have a better opening though.

Shengar

Yo know they're padding the game hard when there's a different quest of the same monster that differentiated only by their location and subquest.

I'll get that Capcom feels there's highbar set by 4G/4U. But they shouldn't try to meet that standard on a non-G rank game, which is supposedly understandable to have less content. This is not counting that the said game is a spin-off.

Boney

Banned
Yo know they're padding the game hard when there's a different quest of the same monster that differentiated only by their location and subquest.

I'll get that Capcom feels there's highbar set by 4G/4U. But they shouldn't try to meet that standard on a non-G rank game, which is supposedly understandable to have less content. This is not counting that the said game is a spin-off.
What's the problem with that?

tuffy

I don't even mind having a quest hunting the same monster in a different location because at least it's some variety when looking for parts. It's the sheer volume of gathering and small monster quests that gets old. I'd be happier if some of the returning monsters showed up sooner and had more hunts (like Duramboros and Agnaktor).

Tendo

Can sword and shield break armor like the hammer can? I normally play hammer but started messing with SnS and am liking it, but would I miss out on things like breaking off pieces to loot?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Can sword and shield break armor like the hammer can? I normally play hammer but started messing with SnS and am liking it, but would I miss out on things like breaking off pieces to loot?

I switched to SnS as well and would like to know the same. You can cut tails for sure with your 'slash' attacks, but the 'impact' hits with the shield that are primarily designed for stunning monsters(when hit in the face), leave me uncertain if the low impact dmg values can actually do enough to break parts normally reserved for hammers and such. I''m guessing they can, but at an exponentially slower rate to the point of irritation when attempting solo.

Doorman

Re: game/monster difficulty, IIRC didn't they admit at one point that they adjusted the monster health values between Tri and 3G? I know for sure they scaled mons for 2 players instead of 4 in the hub, but I think they lowered village monster health too, and that's the scale they've stuck with since then. I've wondered if the games being all handheld-built has had a little impact on them wanting to make sure hunts don't drag too long.

This is still Monster Hunter so I'm enjoying it, but I'm really starting to hope that MH5 goes through something of a clean break in terms of presentation and features. Generations has a lot in it, but to me it also is feeling really cluttered as well. There are a lot of little things that take time away from when the core game's at its best and I'd like for a more focused approach next time around. I've got some high hopes
unless they continue to cling to the 3DS hardware for 5, in which case...

This is the first MH by Ichinose since MHP3 (2010), he seems to be a bit out of touch with what MH fans want nowadays, especially the western fans.

He is always on point when it comes to Felynes though, MHP3 was the one that introduced Felyne armors, and now we have Generations with Felyne mode. Bless him for those additions.

Fujioka and Tsujimoto, on the other hand, have been working on many global MH games (MH3, MH3U, MH4U), so they have a better understanding of what to do. Right now they are busy with MHS.

With all that said, I'm assuming that Ichinose is currently working on MHGG, while Fujioka and Tsujimoto are slowly moving to MH5, as they wrap up MHS for the October release.

This link is not updated, but here are some of the key people behind the MH series: http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/The_People_Behind_The_Game

Mupod

Yeah I'm not personally bagging on the game too hard. This is the MH game for people who have been playing for a long time. The kind that smile when they see the Guild Sweetheart randomly show up, or get a little misty eyed at that Pokke theme. The sheer number of monsters and locations are great, and the styles mix things up enough to stay interesting.

But as a game to grow the fanbase this is nowhere near what 4U was. Still very optimistic for the next numbered entry though.

Is there a fast way to get more raw meat?
Don't think so, but you can take this opportunity to do some of the gathering quests!

I have done tons of them and I'm swimming in well done steaks, herbs, ores, fishes, etc.

Like I said before, I'm having fun with the gathering quests, I do a few everyday, and I know I'm gonna put those items to use eventually.

Pejo

I think the X in Monster Hunter X stands for eXperiment. It just used as a commemoration game that fill the gap just before the next mainline release whilst doing some gameplay experiment that could be included for MH5. The problem is when Capcom feels they need to make MHG worth buying besides the gameplay improvement by padding out content just because it could win a list war against 4U.

I hope the X stands for cross and that it means they're finally ready to cross into the realm of HD consoles and updated textures.

-

Put another few hours into the game last night, spent most of it farming for upgrades to a few of my IG's. It took forever to get enough Narga tailspikes, but I finally made my Hidden Scythe. Combined with my Ceanataur armor and a few gems, I'm now sitting at 60% affinity, now to make the speed bug and get that up even further. And I'm only HR2, lol.

After I got it, it was late, but I had to try it out, and I stupidly went into Khezu with my Ceanataur set (natural thunder weakness and thunder resist -20 built in) and carted once, but I absolutely obliterated him after taking a little more caution to not eat the AoE electrocute moves. I think I'm going to be really happy with this Glaive and armor combo for a bit.

Khezu remains one of my least favorite monsters in the series, still. Especially now that I'm using insect glaive and have to hit his face with my bug for Red extract. It definitely helped when I started marking his head with combo-whacks of the R button, though.

Mupod

cat mode has helped me with the gathering/small monsters crap, but then you have the cat quests which are mostly gathering/small monsters crap...the 'wound a big monster' ones are way more fun.

spiritfox

Don't think so, but you can take this opportunity to do some of the gathering quests!

I have done tons of them and I'm swimming in well done steaks, herbs, ores, fishes, etc.

Like I said before, I'm having fun with the gathering quests, I do a few everyday, and I know I'm gonna put those items to use eventually.

Wait, you can't even buy raw meat? What the hell game.

The "Behind Closed Ores" Village 5* quest has many chances to get them in the quest rewards, 10 at a time.

I'll try that. Thanks.

Cocaine_

Neo Member
Since we are vocalizing our gripes, I wanted to talk about the level design of the maps that were not included in 4U. They're good for nostalgia factor, but leave something to be desired. I generally only find myself looking at the backgrounds and not what is accessible to me on foot. These large, flat maps are just irking me.

I understand the reason for not making many adjustments to them. Capcom wants Aerial style users to be the primary people getting mounts. And they make the few mounts I get all the more memorable as a non-Aerial user. But mounting aside, I still feel like there is less variety in the terrain outside of visual appearance.

Prowler mode is probably one the best new additions. I know people gripe about the amount of gathering quests--and I don't disagree--but I've done so many now that it's opened my eyes to just how great playing as the Palicos is.

I've seriously spent too long on these gathering quests... but at least I'll be well-stocked for when I do hunting marathons/farming. I also appreciate how they even have gestures! Too cute. I'm also glad that they give you monster scraps from when you create stuff for your hunter if you want to match or something.

Kinda confused on the upgrade path. What does level up mean? I thought I could just branch to other weapon paths.
Each time you level up, you unlock a new weapon path. Personally, though, I just level up the main weapon and create the others from scratch instead.

Sane_Man

I really don't know where I'm going wrong on this game. I'm just constantly dying to the monsters in HR3 whereas my team mates don't seem to. I'm using the Bujabujabu set levelled up a bit, but I'm pretty much being 2 or 3 hit by most of the bigger monsters. I'll get stunned and then instantly killed after and then I feel bad for letting my team mates down. It's putting me off the game a bit.

Most people seem to use this set til the high level quests, so I can't even blame it on having underlevelled armor.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

Do keys only, not all 1* and 2* quests!
Or go Hub directly.

I really don't know where I'm going wrong on this game. I'm just constantly dying to the monsters in HR3 whereas my team mates don't seem to. I'm using the Bujabujabu set levelled up a bit, but I'm pretty much being 2 or 3 hit by most of the bigger monsters. I'll get stunned and then instantly killed after and then I feel bad for letting my team mates down. It's putting me off the game a bit.

Most people seem to use this set til the high level quests, so I can't even blame it on having underlevelled armor.
Eat for Defense and make Adamant Pills (or just use Adamant Seeds). Take 10 Potions and 10 Honeys with you to combine if you really have to if you use up all your Mega Potions. Have you been upgrading your armor?

Is there any way to make lots of well-done steaks quickly?

Request Rife Roast at the Bistro (not sure what quest unlocks this, sorry).

Sane_Man

Eat for Defense and make Adamant Pills (or just use Adamant Seeds). Take 10 Potions and 10 Honeys with you to combine if you really have to if you use up all your Mega Potions.)

Thanks! Does eating rations increase your defence? Or do you mean eat something in particular?

Cocaine_

Neo Member

Did you upgrade your armor with armor spheres? But yeah this game is pretty much about getting smoked in 2-3 hits haha

Shengar

Probably it's just another bad day. Everyone always had one in their MH career ;)
That being said, at that point you should be able to upgrade your set to level 5. Monsters attack shouldn't be that painful besides big strikes.
Request Rife Roast at the Bistro (not sure what quest unlocks this, sorry).

Thanks! Knowing that there's a way making lots of steaks is assuring enough.

Thanks! Does eating rations increase your defence? Or do you mean eat something in particular?
Rations only gives you stamina. When I say "eat," I mean eating before a hunt at the Bistro. You'll see what skills you'll get on the left, like "Def (s)" and the health/stamina bonus from it. Depending on the hunt, I prioritize certain things. I prefer health bonus over stamina because you can just eat steaks for stamina, and I usually don't carry Mega Nutrients (which increases you max health).

I don't know if you saw my edit, but have you been upgrading your armor?

Thanks! Knowing that there's a way making lots of steaks is assuring enough.
It's not 100%. What happens is you give a max of 10 raw meats to the chef, and when you return from a quest, he'll have cooked them for you. Most of the time you get well-done steaks, but sometimes you'll get a burned one or a rare one, but very low (mixed with the well-done ones, I mean, so you won't always get 10 well-done steaks). The steaks add up if you have the meat and aren't in a rush for them, though.

Sane_Man

Rations only gives you stamina. When I say "eat," I mean eating before a hunt at the Bistro. You'll see what skills you'll get on the left, like "Def (s)" and the health/stamina bonus from it. Depending on the hunt, I prioritize certain things. I prefer health bonus over stamina because you can just eat steaks for stamina, and I usually don't carry Mega Nutrients (which increases you max health).

I don't know if you saw my edit, but have you been upgrading your armor?

My armor is at level 3. I haven't found any Armor Spheres+ yet to go any higher. It's probably because I'm using a Great Sword so I'm slow as hell and haven't figured out the monsters' move sets to use it to my advantage. I'll try switching to a faster weapon.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Zoon

Just reached the 4 star village quests. The only thing that felt hard so far was the Nibelsnarf. Made me restart the quest and get a hammer.

The QOL updates and the additions are insane.

I thought of trying other weapons (I was mostly using GS/LS/HBG/Glaive on 4U) but using the damn glaive is so much fun.

My armor is at level 3. I haven't found any Armor Spheres+ yet to go any higher. It's probably because I'm using a Great Sword so I'm slow as hell and haven't figured out the monsters' move sets to use it to my advantage. I'll try switching to a faster weapon.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Have you been doing online almost exclusively? You get 5 Armor Sphere+ from the smithy after a certain point in the village. I honestly can't remember if it was at the beginning of 4* village or what. You can try to mine/combine them as well. Here's a list where you can try.

Good luck!

Top Bottom