• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

XaosWolf

Trying to get used to Aerial style things, but the dodge feels like the iFrames are when you're still standing? (Prior to the jump)

When the hell do iframes come into effect on aerial style?

Sane_Man

Have you been doing online almost exclusively? You get 5 Armor Sphere+ from the smithy after a certain point in the village. I honestly can't remember if it was at the beginning of 4* village or what. You can try to mine/combine them as well. Here's a list where you can try.

Good luck!

Thanks again. I've only done a few of the 3* village quests, so that's probably where I'm going wrong. I'll focus on those until I stop being so shit!

Rawk Hawk

My armor is at level 3. I haven't found any Armor Spheres+ yet to go any higher. It's probably because I'm using a Great Sword so I'm slow as hell and haven't figured out the monsters' move sets to use it to my advantage. I'll try switching to a faster weapon.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Also, when you add in the sauce in at the bistro look for skills like Moxie (prevents one death) or even better Defender (Hi) which will negate some damage taken randomly.

For Great Sword, using just draw attacks is a decent way to hunt. Go in, draw (charge if you have time) and drop the sword on the monster, sheath it and run out. Keeps you more mobile.

If worse comes to worse, grab a more defense set like Tetsu's armor, you won't get the attack bonus from Buja, but may help keep you in the fight longer.

But most importantly, just enjoy it, as you play it will become easier over time, look out for GAF rooms if you can, I don't think I can remember a GAF room that was every upset with carts or failed hunts, most of us are pretty level headed and know it's tough for a while when it's new.

Edit: also if you are playing online and get to half health or lower, just leave the area to heal up if you need, prevents getting pounced on when you what to drink a potion or two.

tm24

So apparently got the Godcat Palico from Reddit. Why is it good and i guess ill share it. Actually, whats the deal with Palicos period in this game?

Just hunted the Mizutsune that intrudes in a 3* village quest. Phew, took me 40 minutes with my sword and shield but I'm feeling pretty good after that.

Then I killed the bulldrome in 3 minutes to end the quest lol

Cob32

I really don't know where I'm going wrong on this game. I'm just constantly dying to the monsters in HR3 whereas my team mates don't seem to. I'm using the Bujabujabu set levelled up a bit, but I'm pretty much being 2 or 3 hit by most of the bigger monsters. I'll get stunned and then instantly killed after and then I feel bad for letting my team mates down. It's putting me off the game a bit.

Most people seem to use this set til the high level quests, so I can't even blame it on having underlevelled armor.

Eat food that gives 50 health and keep your HP at maximum levels. Also practice soloing the monsters via village quests so you can learn patterns and attacks.

Just hunted the Mizutsune that intrudes in a 3* village quest. Phew, took me 40 minutes with my sword and shield but I'm feeling pretty good after that.

Then I killed the bulldrome in 3 minutes to end the quest lol

You're telling me that thing was actually able to be killed? I tried attacking it for a bit but concluded that it was like the Lagiacrus that intruded that coral quest back in Tri (which had infinite health).

After it didn't die in more than just a couple minutes, I figured it wouldn't die (since every monster I've hunted thus far has died quickly, I literally killed the Bulldrome in less than a minute).

Still got stuff for breaking parts, at least.

So apparently got the Godcat Palico from Reddit. Why is it good and i guess ill share it. Actually, whats the deal with Palicos period in this game?

A certain Palico build in this game is extremely viable and even gives kill times similar to actual weapons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofQB3G47ugk

It requires you to have Piercing Boomerang, Big Boomerang, Critical up L, Critical up S, and Boomerang Pro. Earplugs are optional. You also teach it Last Stand and Emergency retreat but those aren't unlocked until level 25

Boomerangs do a lot of damage with it. If you plan on using Prowler on hunts a lot its perfect

Cocaine_

Neo Member
Does anyone have the numbers for how much the Gammoth armor skill ColdBlooded boosts you? I want to make the female gunner set because Fashion Hunter.

Beats

Does anyone have the numbers for how much the Gammoth armor skill ColdBlooded boosts you? I want to make the female gunner set because Fashion Hunter.

It's +15 Attack and 20 Defense and you get 5 more attack if you drink a cold drink. Same for Hot Blooded except with a hot drink you get 5 more defense.

You're telling me that thing was actually able to be killed? I tried attacking it for a bit but concluded that it was like the Lagiacrus that intruded that coral quest back in Tri (which had infinite health).

After it didn't die in more than just a couple minutes, I figured it wouldn't die (since every monster I've hunted thus far has died quickly, I literally killed the Bulldrome in less than a minute).

Still got stuff for breaking parts, at least.

They have triple health. Doable but I'm not wasting my time with that shit lol. I could kill it 3x over and get 3x the drops right after

Wanderer5

Got to HR2 urgent, and I see it is Astalos. Setting up a room if anyone wants his parts or needs the urgent too (can go for a couple rounds).

Edit: Room closed. Something came up.

Boney

Banned
My armor is at level 3. I haven't found any Armor Spheres+ yet to go any higher. It's probably because I'm using a Great Sword so I'm slow as hell and haven't figured out the monsters' move sets to use it to my advantage. I'll try switching to a faster weapon.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Great sword is a trick weapon to use but it's my favourite weapon and I consider it the flagship weapon for the series.
First, most of your hits will be unsheath attacks (forward + X) it's fast and you can then roll away if the enemy is too offensive. It can also be charged for a lot more damage, which is basically the GS gimmick.

As for hitting monster you need keep the target camara on them and usually get to them from the side after they do an action.

Combos and handy moves.
Unsheath attack to sword slap to super charge to spinning charge is the most damaging combo and will go great damage to specific parts. The last move does leave you super open though. ( forward + X (chargeable), X , back + X (chargeable), A (hits with the strength of the last charge).

Not the most damaging combos but it's fast and covers good areas are
1) X , A (repeatable) -> moves forward a bit
2) A , A + X (repeatable) -> keeps you in place

You can go for a super charge out of of a horizontal slash by pressing A a second time.

Out of rolls:
1) if you roll forward and press X, you'll perform a forward sword slap. It's really handy because it advances a lot and leaves you with the chance to do any move. Charge, super charge, horizontal slash or backwards slash.
2) rolling sideways let's you do a horizontal slash, which allows you do dodge and keep on the offensive.

Hope that helps, you just gotta look for an opening. Sometimes unsheath and run might be the best move. On big openings like lots of cool down, when it's exhausted or knocked down/ trapped go for charges. You can also direction your attacks a little bit by going to the right or left of your character when hitting that will let you acomodate your strikes.

Shengar

Trying to get used to Aerial style things, but the dodge feels like the iFrames are when you're still standing? (Prior to the jump)

I think it works like the regular dodge. But my guts telling me that if you happen to activate the second jump by hitting a surface, it gives another iframe for that jump until you got airborne.

Pejo

Is there any way to mass cook Rare meat in town like in 4U? I've been taking it into Harvest Tour quests and just cooking them on a spit, but it takes forever.

PKrockin

Right at the beginning of the dodge and also you get a lot of invincibility frames when you vault off the monster. You can even avoid getting hit by tail spins by vaulting off the tail as it comes around, or rushing attacks by vaulting off them head-on.

How do you use the counter class bonuses as a HH user?
Not sure what you mean? How do you Adept Horn? Do an adept dodge and press X, A, or X+A to start a three hit combo. You get the note of the button you pressed, and you can get two more notes from the combo by pressing the buttons, or you can not press buttons to not get more notes. You can also evade out early after the first or second hit.

Boney

Banned
Right at the beginning of the dodge and also you get a lot of invincibility frames when you vault off the monster. You can even avoid getting hit by tail spins by vaulting off the tail as it comes around, or rushing attacks by vaulting off them head-on.
Oh shit now that sounds awesome

PKrockin

Oh shit now that sounds awesome
Yeah I only found out about it a few days ago--I've been using Aerial wrong all this time. lol. I always assumed you would just get hit if you jumped at a monster bumrushing you, but for some reason you don't get hit if you time it right.

Anyone up for HR2 keys? We can take turns on the urgent, too if anyone else needs it. I've still been neglecting online even though I'm nearly done w/ village lol.

Hub: 68-4103-1412-2806
Pass: 1235

jahasaja

Thanks for all the good answers, I guess I do not have to write a OP that says "Am I the only one who thinks MHG has a slow opening" ;-)...

I think MH4U has the best opening. But I think this might become my favourite MH game since adept is just so fun.

However, right now it is a slog, a long slow slog...

tuffy

Here's a shot looking out into the open water on Deserted Isle area 10:
nj3W8nT.jpg
I sortof missed not being able to dive in anymore, but didn't, all at the same time.

delume

Over 30 hours in and I finally tried something other than guild style. Aerial style longsword has brought a new sense of joy into my monster hunting. One day (maybe after a few hundred more hours) I may try a different weapon. What a time to be alive! Thanks to everyone in here whose pro-tips helped make this fairly unwelcoming game a little more accessible. 😀

Comandr

I just got the cats on Reddit and I will share them now.

For the uninitiated, they are two extremely good palicos, as far as skills and abilities go, given the random nature of their recruitment.

Edit: Room's down.

Insaniac

Over 30 hours in and I finally tried something other than guild style. Aerial style longsword has brought a new sense of joy into my monster hunting. One day (maybe after a few hundred more hours) I may try a different weapon. What a time to be alive! Thanks to everyone in here whose pro-tips helped make this fairly unwelcoming game a little more accessible. 😀

I have played and enjoyed every weapon extensively, but dual blades were a bore to me in MH4U. However Aerial dual blades is something else. I've never felt more badass. I recommend trying it

Top Bottom