• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Seil

How strong the boomerang palico is?

Not strong enough to top speed kill charts, but strong enough to not be at the bottom. It can hold its own with normal hunter weapons, and it's pretty fun imo.

Note, this is in reference to using it as a Prowler, which is always the point when talking about boomerang builds. Not as a supporter cat, who are always going to just perform as distractions and an occasional assistance at best.

Shengar

Not strong enough to top speed kill charts, but strong enough to not be at the bottom. It can hold its own with normal hunter weapons, and it's pretty fun imo.

Note, this is in reference to using it as a Prowler, which is always the point when talking about boomerang builds. Not as a supporter cat, who are always going to just perform as distractions and an occasional assistance at best.
That sounds great since I want to use prowler mode besides gathering. I'll look it up later.
is lvl 20 the highest Palico level?
Some skills unlock at lvl 25, so no.

grimmiq

Looking for a little advice, just hit HR2 and can move on to 2* quests, which of these would be the best to start with?

Volvidon
Nibelsnarf
Najarela
Yian Garuga
Khezu
Nargacuga
Rahian
Malfestio
Iodrome

Failed Najarela, so hopefully that's not considered easiest.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Looking for a little advice, just hit HR2 and can move on to 2* quests, which of these would be the best to start with?

Volvidon
Nibelsnarf
Najarela
Yian Garuga
Khezu
Nargacuga
Rahian
Malfestio
Iodrome

Rath ian. Its sets apart the men from the boys.

Volvidon
Nibelsnarf
Najarela
Yian Garuga
Khezu
Nargacuga
Rahian
Malfestio
Iodrome

Iodrome should be easiest. Volvidon in MH3U wasn't hard and Rathian is fairy easy (but maybe it because how much we hunt her in series ;) )

spiritfox

Volvidon
Nibelsnarf
Najarela
Yian Garuga
Khezu
Nargacuga
Rahian
Malfestio
Iodrome

What weapon are you using? Volvidon is just a more rolly Lagombi, and Iodrome is just a poison Velocidrome, so those are easy.

Beat the Village Kirin with a level 11 Prowler (infamous boomerang set).

It's really fun how you can still land hits even if you misaimed the throw, by repositioning yourself so that the monster gets hit when the boomerang comes back. Kirin would've been so annoying with a melee weapon as he jumps around all the time.

Finally got my main cat to level 25 and learned Handicraft last night. Now a couple of my weapons get boosted to silver sharpness.

I think I'm ready to take on Redhelm Arzuros and the rest of the HR 4 quests!

That means time to upgrade that armor.

I worry when I'm in a group and see someone below 370 honestly.

Ehh from what i can gather online, deviants will always be able to one shot you with their signature moves.
Its a really poor way of implementing difficulty in a game with such long fights, fights just becomes a "try not to get too bored" test.

Cerity

I always used to feel kinda bad when I cut and broke every possible part on a monster using an SA or CB but now that I'm doing the same with an SnS it feels even more insulting lol.

I really hope they push forward with the oils in the next game, great addition to SnS combat.

Mupod

Finally got my Prowler leveled up a bit with most of the abilities I wanted. I think he'd be purrfect if he just had Earplugs but I already had to use his skill slot on Boomerang Pro. Guess I just need to keep watching the cat lady.

I had an excess of Shagaru Magala parts so I made a bunch of cat gear. I was surprised how fast I was able to burn down the monsters in those prowler-only quests once I was fully set up. Great Maccao went down in seconds. Also, I didn't know cats could do mount attacks, it's hilarious.

I know the meta is pierce/big boomerangs but I wanted to try out Mega Boomerang too. My first try it missed Arzuros completely. But on the Velocidrome/Maccao quest I used it at point blank range after a mount - turns out it does a shit ton of damage if you hit them as the boomerang is spinning up. I'll keep it around for now - the healing vase isn't unlocked yet (how have I not fought a Volvidon?) but that might be better in the long run.

Fighting Narga with Adept is amazing.

pretty much all I did in the demo. Between the nature of that monster and the fact that I've probably fought 200 of them, it's perfect evades all the time.

I think the only monster I've fought where Adept was really bad was Zinogre with HBG. I never realized it but he follows up his attacks a lot more than any other monster, so a mistimed evade-reload is death. I found myself just using the 'run' cancel instead almost every time which is like...why am I even using Adept?

Gore/Shagaru Magala on the other hand, Adept pierce HBG is amazingly fun. I love how if you've got gunpowder infusion and power reload running, it takes only a couple shots to overcome the frenzy. I'll probably farm Shaggy for a bit, I think I can kill one in under 7 minutes now that my Bubbles gun is upgraded as far as I can get it in low rank.

I apparently need Deviljho parts to upgrade the Seregios SA though. Is there even a Deviljho in village quests or is that hub only?

tuffy

I apparently need Deviljho parts to upgrade the Seregios SA though. Is there even a Deviljho in village quests or is that hub only?
Pretty sure he shows up as an intruder in a couple of Village quests, but the only proper hunt is some triple monster 6* quest.
What does the bubble dance skill do? Is it like evade extender or evasion plus with a different name?
It grants Evasion +1 and Constitution +1 when covered with bubbles, according to the wiki.

No high rank offline, right? Reminds me of Tri.

Now all we need are online exclusive monsters like Deviljho and Alatreon (if only they brought him back, that dude was by far the hardest monster I've ever fought).

Kinsei

Banned
No high rank offline, right? Reminds me of Tri.

Now all we need are online exclusive monsters like Deviljho and Alatreon (if only they brought him back, that dude was by far the hardest monster I've ever fought).

There are Advanced quests that are high rank village quests. You unlock them by progressing far enough in the hub like the high rank village quests in 4 and G rank village quests in 4U.

There are a bunch of hub only monsters.

Alatreon
Amatsu
Ukanlos
Akantor
Plesioth
etc
etc

There are Advanced quests that are high rank village quests. You unlock them by progressing far enough in the hub like the high rank village quests in 4 and G rank village quests in 4U.

There are a bunch of hub only monsters.

Alatreon
Amatsu
Ukanlos
Akantor
Plesioth
etc
etc

Wait, Alatreon is here? Is he as deadly, powerful, and time consuming as he used to be?

Got to Village 4* with Guild style longsword. I'm looking forward to switching to bushido and grinding out some Nargacuga (I didn't get to play the demo) to build his dual blades and longsword.

I might try building the Ceanataur armor as well and then try to blast through guild quests to get my HR up when I hit a wall in the village.

Edit: How do you unlock the HR monsters in single player? Is it after Shaggy, or do you have to complete that Fated Four quest?

Kinsei

Banned
Wait, Alatreon is here? Is he as deadly, powerful, and time consuming as he used to be?

It has some newattacks. I haven;t fought Gen Alatreon yet so I have no clue how it holds up against 3 and 3U Alatreon. Portable 3rd Alatreon was a joke so I'm hoping it's stronger than that.

Got to Village 4* with Guild style longsword. I'm looking forward to switching to bushido and grinding out some Nargacuga (I didn't get to play the demo) to build his dual blades and longsword.

I might try building the Ceanataur armor as well and then try to blast through guild quests to get my HR up when I hit a wall in the village.

Edit: How do you unlock the HR monsters in single player? Is it after Shaggy, or do you have to complete that Fated Four quest?

Just so you know you need to level up the talon carvers to make Narga's DBs.

Get to high rank in the guild hall quests.

It has some newattacks. I haven;t fought Gen Alatreon yet so I have no clue how it holds up against 3 and 3U Alatreon. Portable 3rd Alatreon was a joke so I'm hoping it's stronger than that.

Just so you know you need to level up the talon carvers to make Narga's DBs.

Get to high rank in the guild hall quests.

He's at the end of the highest hub quest tier, so I'm sure he's no pushover.

In my opinion, the Tri version was the most difficult. With a full party he could still last 20-40 minutes, and attacks like the dragon claw and the huge fireball would practically be instant deaths.

His horns were also near impossible to break, too.

tuffy

In my opinion, the Tri version was the most difficult. With a full party he could still last 20-40 minutes, and attacks like the dragon claw and the huge fireball would practically be instant deaths.

His horns were also near impossible to break, too.
Even in 3 Ultimate he was rough. I beat the Moga one with literally seconds to spare because I hadn't realized his shot hitzones were as bad as they were. Online, the infamous Kelbi bow or good use of status effects made a big difference, but beating him could still take a long time and often ended in disaster. People would sometimes to tail-only runs just to get those rare Dragonsphires in a reasonable amount of time.

Even in 3 Ultimate he was rough. I beat the Moga one with literally seconds to spare because I hadn't realized his shot hitzones were as bad as they were. Online, the infamous Kelbi bow or good use of status effects made a big difference, but beating him could still take a long time and often ended in disaster. People would sometimes to tail-only runs just to get those rare Dragonsphires in a reasonable amount of time.

Yeah, anyone who was able to defeat Alatreon in a way that wasn't cheesy (like sleep bombing or multiple kelbi bows) earned my personal respect as a hunter.

It was a huge accomplishment to kill him once, let alone get his armor. Those people were essentially gods.

Edit: Also, the fight was super annoying. He uses every element against you (except water for some reason), so the armor you're wearing is bound to be weak against it, and he was resistant to them all too (resistant to some more than others depending on the mode).

Kinsei

Banned

My first 3U Alatreon took me over 40 minutes solo. Fighting it with village gear and a HH was rough.

Top Bottom