• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Kinsei

Banned
Well I can understand that people don't want to be carried. I had people complain when I went back to grind LR materials in Tri (and by that point I had no lower rank level weapons).

People also moaned about it on GameFAQs
but that was GameFAQs so...

To be fair you probably should have just done the village quests in Tri instead of going online. It would have been faster and easier too.

ChrisD

Four player missions only last a couple minutes even without HR weapons, I don't see how they can complain much this time haha.

I understand the sentiment, you don't want carried and all that. But in all honesty playing with two people already brings difficulty down, once you go three and up you've already gotten rid of most of the difficulty. Just enjoy the fast quests with your online pals, be they LR or HR, don't gripe about how easy they're making things.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Gotta say, I'm surprised how much I've been loving the hunting horn since picking it up in this game. EVEN disregarding all the awesome buffs, I love being able to facefuck monsters to KO and (especially) exhaust them. It makes fights so easy to have the monster just stop moving. I tried some hammer in 4U and wasn't a fan of how slow you moved around most of the time while holding a charge in, meanwhile the horn is over here with the fastest unsheathed move speed in the game. I definitely made a good choice.

ohlawd

27-2258-7290-3757

Prowler quests. have to be HR4 or higher. 4* then 3*. I'm expecting no one to come in, not even randoms, so no pass. just gonna gather some HR mats in the meantime

Pejo

Gotta say, I'm surprised how much I've been loving the hunting horn since picking it up in this game. EVEN disregarding all the awesome buffs, I love being able to facefuck monsters to KO and (especially) exhaust them. It makes fights so easy to have the monster just stop moving. I tried some hammer in 4U and wasn't a fan of how slow you moved around most of the time while holding a charge in, meanwhile the horn is over here with the fastest unsheathed move speed in the game. I definitely made a good choice.

Do you have problems memorizing the songs for each horn and weaving them into normal combat? That's been one of the things holding me back from using it. I feel like I'd just give a buff or two in the beginning of a fight then just say screw it and dps the rest of the time with complete disregard for songs.

My solution will be to start using a completely new weapon and build new armors when my friend starts playing. And even if I have the materials for simple upgrades, I won't be doing them too soon; I'll just evaluate/ask where my friend is in the game and upgrade slowly along with him. I'm actually really excited to use a new weapon.

EDIT: no takers. Maybe next time!

Dak'kon

Do you have problems memorizing the songs for each horn and weaving them into normal combat? That's been one of the things holding me back from using it. I feel like I'd just give a buff or two in the beginning of a fight then just say screw it and dps the rest of the time with complete disregard for songs.

I mained HH in 4U and I've ended up using it again in this because it is a really fun weapon.

You don't really need to worry about memorising songs, especially at lower ranks, as there are only going to be one or two go-to songs you'll want to keep on for the whole fight. Basically once you know that white-red-red is attack up and white-blue-blue is def up then that remains true of every horn. So even if I'm switching out elemental horns for every fight I just end I playing one of each note on the monster to see what I'm working with. So if I use an A attack and see it plays a red note then I know I'm going to be able to play Attack Up buff for the hunt. Then as you get further in you can learn what songs you can play with what elemental weapons that would be useful for a particular monster (so for instance if you have a dragon horn that can play Wind Res Up then you know to learn that song for the Raths etc.) Your DPS should be high whether you're playing songs or not. You can always hold off on re-buffing if you KO or mount a monster to perform an infinite combo on its head, it's quick to re-buff again after.

Fighting Lagi again, I will say that I do miss cutting weapons though. I've never found getting KOs as satisfying as tail cuts :(

Khezu

In my opinion, the Tri version was the most difficult. With a full party he could still last 20-40 minutes, and attacks like the dragon claw and the huge fireball would practically be instant deaths.

His horns were also near impossible to break, too.

Alatreon was a great end boss for Tri.
Much better then lame ass Fatalis, especially MH1 Fatalis, where you pretty much had to gun him because everything bounced of him except for his face.
Have no idea why they thought that was a good idea.

twelver

If you create a hub online how do you change the room name/objective/etc mid hub? Without having to make a new room? I remember in 4u you just talked to the gong guy in the hunters hall.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Not at all, but I've been sticking to 2 horns as I've been upgrading them and they both share their most important song (attack up). Half of each horn's songs are going to be situational so you only have to memorize 2-3 of them anyways, but once you stick with the same horn for a couple hunts it's 2nd nature.

As for playing them during combat, the new note system encourages you to do it by making it auto-encore your last song if you hit monsters with your notes instead of hiding behind a rock and swinging at air like a srublord. As long as you stay cognizant of your song effects ending, it's really not hard to plan out which attacks you want to throw out to re-play it. You just need to make sure you're extra careful when actually playing it, since that's when you're left the most exposed, so often I don't use my R-swing to hit a monster unless he's downed, and prioritize more on using it when I'm safe, just like I would a potion.

My problem in 4U with the horn was that I tried to do it late game after I'd gotten to G-rank with SA, so I basically built myself a mini-collection of horns and didn't take the time to learn each one of them organically. Constantly switching horns I had to basically memorize each song list on the fly. Like most weapons starting it from the beginning of the game has been helpful.

sugarless

If you create a hub online how do you change the room name/objective/etc mid hub? Without having to make a new room? I remember in 4u you just talked to the gong guy in the hunters hall.

Press START and choose Wireless Settings. Hub settings are in there.

Kinsei

Banned
Yay I finally got the marrow I needed to upgrade a pair of dual blades that I'll never use (they have negative affinity).

Why do I do this to myself?

Cerity

When do you start unlocking new weapons? Best S&S weapon I can make is the Velocidrome Bite.

It's the same as before in that you just need the mats to be able to craft the gear. It's just the upgrade system is pretty not intuitive this time around. You should be able to craft the bone and iron versions of the SnS, level them and open the tree up more.

XaosWolf

Are there still people around for HR1 quests?

I only got up to village 4*, but spent a whole lot of time looking for my Perfect Prowler.

If anyone is then I should be online in an hour or so. Willing to help with whatever as thats how I've always played MonHun. =)

Beats

Anyone know the details of the internal ammo for LBG/HBG?

I've seen the descriptions, but I'm not sure where to find the actual damage numbers for them.

Kinsei

Banned
Are they the Blazeblades? Those are -10%, that's barely noticeable

Yeah the blazebaldes. -10% isn't super noticeable but I also have the Rath dual blades which have only 10 less raw, more element, and they don;t have negative affinity. The only thing the blazeblades have over them is looks and more green sharpness.

redcrayon

Well I can understand that people don't want to be carried. I had people complain when I went back to grind LR materials in Tri (and by that point I had no lower rank level weapons).

People also moaned about it on GameFAQs
but that was GameFAQs so...
If you go back to grind materials with lower ranking hunters that don't want to be carried, why not just equip rank-appropriate gear for the room? You don't have to turn up to a low-rank hunt in endgame gear and finish it for everyone in seconds, your skill and experience will still shine through.

Usually when I'm playing below my hunter rank, I play support, take life horns, traps etc, and try to show people what to do without completely dominating the hunt.

If I started the room, I assume people are happy to hunt alongside me regardless. If I didn't start the room and it's full of new players, I'll usually ask if they don't mind me in high rank gear for speed or would prefer low rank gear so they can learn.

Fandangox

Peacefully farming narga with gf, "orchestra starts playing"

images

JP_

Banned
Does the size of a weapon affect actual hitboxes? Like for lances, Estoc looks shorter than Paladin Lance -- but does the Paladin Lance actually have more reach? I assume no but wanted to confirm.

edit: getting mixed answers when I google...

Cocaine_

Neo Member
Does the size of a weapon affect actual hitboxes? Like for lances, Estoc looks shorter than Paladin Lance -- but does the Paladin Lance actually have more reach? I assume no but wanted to confirm.

edit: getting mixed answers when I google...

Yes. It matters. I've played Lance before and notice a huge difference between short lances and long lances.

Kinsei

Banned
I need 18 lava nuiggets, kill me now. I hate Uragaan, it's one of the worst monsters in the entire series.

I realize that, but I'm going to miss variants like savage Deviljho, furious Rajang (is regular Rajang on this one?), Nuclear Brachydios, etc.

Also, apparently something replaced Apex monsters? Like, an enraged system?

|Deviljho and Rajang are in this game, so are Savage Deviljho and Furious Rajang.

Hyper Monsters replace Apex/Frenzy monsters and it's a much better system IMO. Monsters get parts of their body supercharged leading to stronger attacks and what not. There's a risk vs reward system in these fights where you build up your hunter art gauge faster if you attack the super charged body parts, but doing so puts you in a position where you're more easily hit by those attacks.

NewGame

Banned
As much as I love this series and solo jho 8:34 solo ala 18:34 I still hate this upgrade system.

Bloody bug. Bug parts. It took me 4 hours FOUR BLOODY HOURS to get one of those damn cricket heads so I could upgrade one switch axe. Yes I used poison bombs, yes I used poison gunning. The design elements of parts it this game are just awful archaic garbage.

That said I just popped from hr7 to 48 so that's a relief.

Also there's no diablozooka 0/10 avoid worst Mon Hun game ever.

Edit: more ranting

I still hate the online system. 4 max room is bogus GET IT TOGETHER CAPCOM. Can't access juju services, can't open the chat easily, damn send messages like in Tri, can't ARMWRESTLE.

Zenny is so hard to get, Gunners can't afford to function properly. Farms don't unlock until the end of high rank, weapon trees some how make less sense than before.

Awful game only clocking 400 hours in this.

Top Bottom