• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

burgerdog

Any chance you've already spoken to one of them but haven't completed the quest?

Have you done the intruder quests in 3*? They are pre-reqs to the respective flagships in 5*.

Good stuff, I completely forgot about their requests and that was what I needed. So when I was getting Popo tongues Gammoth appeared as ??? and it took me like 25 minutes to kill, but on the actual kill quest it took 8 minutes. Weird.

Just got the credit reel. If this is a nod to all the recent MH games I hope the next entry offers something that feels much different (quest design/ smarter monsters/anything). What felt like fan service mostly left me bored. Too many older gen categorically worse monsters brought back. The fated four were cool though.

Vuze

Just got the credit reel. If this is a nod to all the recent MH games I hope the next entry offers something that feels much different (quest design/ smarter monsters/anything). What felt like fan service mostly left me bored. Too many older gen categorically worse monsters brought back. The fated four were cool though.
This. Nostalgia feeling of visiting Snowy Mounts and Forest & Hills was cool for a bit but overall the lack of new content, the lame singleplayer and the "Hyper" system which just adds bloat to the endgame without adding much substance left a real sour taste. The new stuff that got added (fated four in particular) was pretty well designed and worked out though.

Rizzi

b8viWY0.jpg
I made an error.

jonjonaug

I started with 3rd gen and never went back to the older games so I don't mind so much.

redcrayon

Quite happy with my new Shogun Ceanataur armour in village. Comes with Critical Eye and Razor Sharp, both skills that are always going to be useful, the only downside being weakness to thunder. Even then, a full set is only -10 thunder, so a single gem negates it. I then added a couple more expert gems in to get up to Critical Eye +15. Looks cool too, like a blue/grey platemail.

Just out of interest, is the free charm you get at the start always the same? I got gathering +10, in previous games I've had guard +10 on the free one instead.

spiritfox

Quite happy with my new Shogun Ceanataur armour in village. Comes with Critical Eye and Razor Sharp, both skills that are always going to be useful, the only downside being weakness to thunder. Even then, a full set is only -10 thunder, so a single gem negates it. I then added a couple more expert gems in to get up to Critical Eye +15. Looks cool too, like a blue/grey platemail.

Just out of interest, is the free charm you get at the start always the same? I got gathering +10, in previous games I've had guard +10 on the free one instead.

Yes. It's much more useful than the Auto-Guard charm anyway.

Running the same set up paired with the Narg SnS. So much critical.

Mupod

Been doing the demo to practice and see what I like, but I admit I feel like I'm fighting against the controls. I can't tell if they're antiquated or held back by the 3DS or what. Just keeping track if a monster and the positioning so you're not swinging at air is tough.

I'd guess SnS-Striker and SA-Aerial are what I've been liking best. Want to try some more with CB as well. It just seems weird that if I need to quick get over to a monster I need to sheathe the weapon then run over and unsheathe in hopes I do it fast enough to get some damage in.

MH plays so differently from everything else that I'd be more surprised if someone took to the controls instantly. In MH you're not aiming at the monster, you're aiming where it's going to be.

Sheathing/unsheathing is a huge part of the combat, as well. Unsheathe attacks are often quite good, and in some cases ridiculously good, so putting your weapon away when you get the chance is fine. This is practically all you do on a Greatsword - you snipe good openings with your unsheathe attack, put the sword away, then go back to running around looking for openings.

In the case of SA, the axe mode unsheathe is kind of crap. So what I do for my unsheathe attack is press R+X+A to go straight into sword mode which is great and leads into combos. An example of what I do is I'll run up to Nargacuga's side, and as he turns to face me I do the sword unsheathe. I can generally get in 1-2 free hits on his face before I have to gtfo.

Sword and Shield sheathes super fast and its unsheathe move is really good, just need to get used to how far it launches you forward.

There's some weapons you don't sheathe often - hammer for example has weak unsheathe attacks and you're generally just running around holding a charge. Heavy Bowgun takes forever to put away so you need an armor skill to make your rolls go farther, and you get around by rolling.

Boney

Banned
As for the game in general, I was discussing it on the discord. The game suffers, especially in low rank by pandering to nostalgia heavily. Reusing so many of the old maps, especially since they are the starting areas of each game makes them pretty lackluster, with boring distribution, and contextual elements that can be used for you advantage. The same holds true for te monsters, where all of the gen 1 and 2 stuff that hasn't been significantly redone feel incredibly poor, and while third gen monsters for the most part are great, there's still a significant gap between them and the 4th gen monsters.
It doesn't help that they chose so many lame gem 3 monsters or their gen1/2 counterparts. Why is Royal Ludroth there but not Barroth, khezu instead of Giggi, or great redesigns as Diablos.Once you get access to 4's maps you really feel the difference in how much better the series has gotten despite the usual ramblings of reusing assets and gameplay being the same for more than 10 years.

I'm not worried about the next gen MH since every one has been a significant upgrade from the previous version, I am a bit worried on how much original content they can produce, like Tri being content starved or filling the holes by reusing older monsters. This being a "best of" makes it less likely that they'll reuse much, especially the oldest parts in the next one, but gen 1/2 need to be cut on it's entirety unless you're rebuilding from scratch. I'm curious as to where it'll go but that's a whole different can of worms.

Man I'm in high rank but I'm finding it hard to switch armors since the current low rank set I have has the skills I want.
It's not a big problem since you upgrade them fairly well.i'm still using the Jaggi Gloves and Boots I got early on because they work fine for the most part.

Especially the boots with the 3 slots bonanza

redcrayon

Running the same set up paired with the Narg SnS. So much critical.
I've got mine paired up with a poison lance, aerial style and the corkscrew skill. Raw damage focus. The increased mobility has really changed my hunting game, I used to be a walking tank and block/counter, now my lance build is insanely aggressive and far more effective.

Really enjoying it- I think MH4 is a better, more well-rounded game but I have to applaud them for trying out new ideas like hunting styles and skills for adding even more stuff to try in a 200+ hour game.

Tendo

Just ordered a 6 pack of psp nubs from the only US buyer I saw on ebay for $3, should get here next week (instead of September like I'd get from the China sellers). Can't wait to rip off the nub.

I think I just ordered from the same seller haha.

Thanks for the idea Cerity!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Voror

MH plays so differently from everything else that I'd be more surprised if someone took to the controls instantly. In MH you're not aiming at the monster, you're aiming where it's going to be.

Sheathing/unsheathing is a huge part of the combat, as well. Unsheathe attacks are often quite good, and in some cases ridiculously good, so putting your weapon away when you get the chance is fine. This is practically all you do on a Greatsword - you snipe good openings with your unsheathe attack, put the sword away, then go back to running around looking for openings.

In the case of SA, the axe mode unsheathe is kind of crap. So what I do for my unsheathe attack is press R+X+A to go straight into sword mode which is great and leads into combos. An example of what I do is I'll run up to Nargacuga's side, and as he turns to face me I do the sword unsheathe. I can generally get in 1-2 free hits on his face before I have to gtfo.

Sword and Shield sheathes super fast and its unsheathe move is really good, just need to get used to how far it launches you forward.

There's some weapons you don't sheathe often - hammer for example has weak unsheathe attacks and you're generally just running around holding a charge. Heavy Bowgun takes forever to put away so you need an armor skill to make your rolls go farther, and you get around by rolling.

Sort of the Galaga principle then?

I'd known about that principle regarding the GS, but hadn't really understood that it applied to all the weapons in one way or another. I suppose I should perhaps take another swing at it.

I have sort of noticed that, but haven't really tried the sword unsheathe attack. Still trying to get a handle on the combos and modes so I'll have to try that. I have taken to using the aerial jump and then unsheathing down on the enemy, which has often worked quite well.

I definitely saw that it's relatively easy is get going with SnS and have been trying to work in positioning and using those shield attacks to knock a monster out or on their back.

Thank you for the tips!

Cocaine_

Neo Member
Surprised no one corrected this by now. This is not correct, weapon model/size has no effect on the hitbox size of the weapon.

I guess this is what he means by conflicting evidence, eh? I swear some of the lances I made felt gimped by their crappy reach.

tuffy

I guess this is what he means by conflicting evidence, eh? I swear some of the lances I made felt gimped by their crappy reach.
Lances with different levels of reach would be more work to program. It'd be odd to go to that much work and not bother to mention that parameter to players anywhere in the weapon stats.

Cocaine_

Neo Member
Lances with different levels of reach would be more work to program. It'd be odd to go to that much work and not bother to mention that parameter to players anywhere in the weapon stats.

I feel like there's a lot of things the developers fail to tell you about the weapons :p

Mupod

Sort of the Galaga principle then?

I'd known about that principle regarding the GS, but hadn't really understood that it applied to all the weapons in one way or another. I suppose I should perhaps take another swing at it.

I have sort of noticed that, but haven't really tried the sword unsheathe attack. Still trying to get a handle on the combos and modes so I'll have to try that. I have taken to using the aerial jump and then unsheathing down on the enemy, which has often worked quite well.

I definitely saw that it's relatively easy is get going with SnS and have been trying to work in positioning and using those shield attacks to knock a monster out or on their back.

Thank you for the tips!

The funny thing in the demo is the SA is missing something critical to its gameplay. In the full game early on you get an ability called energy charge which fully loads your axe and goes back into sword mode. It functionally means your SA can be in sword mode at all times.

I play in Adept exclusively, 99% of the time sword mode, and I have two combos. X,X for damage while keeping myself standing still, and A,A for doing more damage while repositioning. Not exactly smokin sick style DMC here. It's still absolutely a good idea to know your moveset and when to use your abilities. Once in a while I do need that high-reaching overhead axe slash or the axe mode infinite combo. But MH is a lot like Street Fighter in that it's more about spacing and using the right move than memorizing what combos do.

R0ckman

Actually I LIKE this about the game but I feel that the way it developed like this was unintentional originally, this "clunky feel" was more of a sign of archaic mechanics that became PART of what makes MH, MH.

I'm assuming if the game just evolved without keeping tradition and integrity to a core, it would be more like a multiplayer co-op Dragon's Dogma by now.

Dak'kon

Yup, they are solidifying the Felynes as Capcom's new mascot. Probably should switch out my avatar lol. I do love them.

While I would totally love Felyne's becoming Capcom's mascot character I just can't get on board with the fat-headed one from MHS :/

Just beat level 1 Drilltusk Tetsucabra solo (with Palicos). Took 23 minutes with Prowler and all Low Rank gear. No carts and no acorns used, but I came close to biting the dust multiple times.

That was intense!

tuffy

Prowler mode is a fun change of pace and I think it's here to stay (with a bit of rebalancing). Since the developers have gone to the trouble to make all that cat gear, it makes sense to let players use it rather than keep it confined to AI helpers. The new scrap system is also a big improvement; essentially getting cat gear parts for free when crafting a hunter armor set seems like how it should've worked to begin with.

Voror

The funny thing in the demo is the SA is missing something critical to its gameplay. In the full game early on you get an ability called energy charge which fully loads your axe and goes back into sword mode. It functionally means your SA can be in sword mode at all times.

I play in Adept exclusively, 99% of the time sword mode, and I have two combos. X,X for damage while keeping myself standing still, and A,A for doing more damage while repositioning. Not exactly smokin sick style DMC here. It's still absolutely a good idea to know your moveset and when to use your abilities. Once in a while I do need that high-reaching overhead axe slash or the axe mode infinite combo. But MH is a lot like Street Fighter in that it's more about spacing and using the right move than memorizing what combos do.

Really? That's an odd omission given how useful a mechanic it is.

I'll have to try Adept. I admit I haven't explored the styles too much yet but watching what they can do in videos like GaijinHunters has been nice to see. I tried Aerial because that jump attack looked like a lot of fun. That SF comparison makes a lot of sense actually when I think about it.

Moondrop

Banned
It could be just the low difficulty of village quests, but Stamina Drain + Hammer seems to work wonders. Just a few bops and monsters are drooling and moving at half speed. Strange that it's only on the Maccao sets.

PKrockin

Too bad Hyper monsters don't exhaust. I don't get why Capcom keeps making sub-types that never exhaust. Make their stamina stupidly high if you want, but don't remove a major mechanic that helps make monsters feel like living things.

From what I've seen, it looks like the armors in this game have a lot less slots, and skills are much less common overall. I'm surprised to see people have 4, let alone 6-8 like what you'd see in 4U.

Also, is the Dreadqueen Charge Blade and armor worth getting and upgrading for someone about to be HR4?

spiritfox

From what I've seen, it looks like the armors in this game have a lot less slots, and skills are much less common overall. I'm surprised to see people have 4, let alone 6-8 like what you'd see in 4U.

Also, is the Dreadqueen Charge Blade and armor worth getting and upgrading for someone about to be HR4?

Deviant weapons and armor all upgrade to endgame stuff, so if you are going for that set, you can start right now.

Moondrop

Banned
Too bad Hyper monsters don't exhaust. I don't get why Capcom keeps making sub-types that never exhaust. Make their stamina stupidly high if you want, but don't remove a major mechanic that helps make monsters feel like living things.
Huh, that would explain the lack of stamina drain on high rank sets. Guess I'll make stamina/stamina recovery armor.

PKrockin

I think 4U was an outlier in how many skills you could get on a set, it was nuts. Meanwhile this game has no G-rank, so it feels even more limiting.

Cocaine_

Neo Member

Maybe it's easier to balance the armors with less skills involved? I haven't gotten very far yet but it seems like the overarching theme they were shooting for (at least with weapons) is more options for end game gear.

Top Bottom