• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Fuck trying to get altaroth jaws. Just crafted transport jewels with my dash extract. Should have thought this before. Time to transport items like you are about to shit your pants.

Well my MH days might be numbered for now. I'm no longer getting responsiveness from right or down on the little analog nub. Tried restarting, recalibrating and trying other games. Really not thrilled about pulling it apart or sending it to Nintendo.
Dude, just replace it with a PSP stick. Takes 1 minute and if you hate it you can put the broken nub back.

Boney

Banned
Fuck trying to get altaroth jaws. Just crafted transport jewels with my dash extract. Should have thought this before. Time to transport items like you are about to shit your pants.
Just have your two cats be plunderers. I get all my monster liquid and bug stuff that way works great.

Juraash

Dude, just replace it with a PSP stick. Takes 1 minute and if you hate it you can put the broken nub back.

I find something very unappealable about that option. Cutting it up seems so not ok. I say this knowing it's seem less and the only thing you cut is the rubber holding the actual c-stick. It's also a limited edition one so mods seem almost sacrilege.

I'll sleep on it though, I may opt for that option as I'm sure the Nintendo solution is neither convenient nor cheap.

I find something very unappealable about that option. Cutting it up seems so not ok. I say this knowing it's seem less and the only thing you cut is the rubber holding the actual c-stick. It's also a limited edition one so mods seem almost sacrilege.

I'll sleep on it though, I may opt for that option as I'm sure the Nintendo solution is neither convenient nor cheap.
Cutting it did feel a bit weird, but I tried putting it back in after and it worked perfectly (no change in shitty base functionality). The straps are superfluous as there is a rubber ring at the base wider than the hole. It takes more force to remove the nub than you'll ever apply while playing.

If the nub is broken and you don't want to send it in, I can't think of any other alternatives.

There's also a video on YouTube on how to change the nub without cutting the straps. That's an option if you don't mind opening up your console.

Juraash

Cutting it did feel a bit weird, but I tried putting it back in after and it worked perfectly (no change in shitty base functionality). The straps are superfluous as there is a rubber ring at the base wider than the hole. It takes more force to remove the nub than you'll ever apply while playing.

If the nub is broken and you don't want to send it in, I can't think of any other alternatives.

There's also a video on YouTube on how to change the nub without cutting the straps. That's an option if you don't mind opening up your console.

Well it's a MH4U edition so I was originally going to make come comment about not wanting to void the warranty on it, but I don't believe it's covered in any way at this point. And in truth I'm not sure removing the rubber bit without opening it would void anything anyways. I was going to call Nintendo in the morning and see how much and how long this process would take. But a 3 pack of psp caps is 6 bucks on amazon....sooooo I may cave.

Out of curiosity, I fired up MH4U and, wow... how did I put up with those shop menus for that long? Awful. I like Generations having all the info mostly available on top and seeing the actual weapon on the touch screen.

Also, since I never used the GL until Generations, I gave it a test-run in 4U. I really like the heat gauge they added for it in Generations. Makes the weapon more fun, I think.

Wait they changed Hororo Horuru to Maleficent or something?!?! What are you thinking 8-4!
http://www.capcom-unity.com/roundti...n-notes-part-3---gammoth-malfestio-and-moofah

Capcom said:
In Japan, this monster is called ホロロホルル [ho-ro-ro-ho-ru-ru] (say that ten times fast!), which is derived from the Japanese onomatopoeia for owl sounds, the word “chloroform,” and Koropokkuru—a race of small people in Ainu folklore. As much as we liked the meaning behind this, it was just too long to romanize for the international version (not to mention it’s a bit of a tongue-twister). We always try to avoid making names too long—it could spell disaster when translating material names and such. Plus, there’s always the possibility a subspecies could show up in future installments, so we like to think ahead and leave a little space to work with just in case we happen to need it later.

Comandr

Just got my n3DSXL "modded" with a PSP1000 analog for the nub. Holy crap. What a difference. Night and day. Removing the nub is a breeze and I'm confident it will go back on easily if someone put a gun to my head and made me.

Speaking of night and day... Went back and did a hunt in MH4U and holy crap. The graphical difference is astounding. It's crazy how much better MH4U looks than MHGen on the n3DS.

Dak'kon

Speaking of night and day... Went back and did a hunt in MH4U and holy crap. The graphical difference is astounding. It's crazy how much better MH4U looks than MHGen on the n3DS.

Some of the textures and effects that they've got on the newer monsters are so pretty. The gold shimmer of Malfesio's chest, the iridescence of Astalos' wings, the slimy shine of Mizutsune's fur. Incredible what you can achieve with great art direction on a tiny handheld :)

Airan

Jesus christ, it's been what, 2 years and Nintendo still haven't changed the default behavior of the power button to NOT close software when pressed. What the flying fuck. Almost had a heart attack when I was removing the 3DS from my grip, the power button pressed against the plastic, forcing the software to close. I JUST finished a hunt and was saving, so I thought I corrupted the save and lost about 30 hours of game play. So lucky I didn't.

I fixed it by cutting off the plastic arch that brushes against the power button, but man, this functionality should either never exist, or only trigger after 3 seconds of pressing down. Fuck your stability updates Nintendo, just change this stupid power button behavior.

OK rant over. I wanted to come in here to ask - can I buy the Hori grip for less than £100? Seriously, other grips straight from Japan don't cost nearly this much.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I finally got around finishing every quest offline last night! I hear some people had some trouble with the Fated Four quest but it was a breeze for me & my Bow.

Apparently I'm not finished with Village Quest because I didn't get the completion Red Check mark for 6* Quests so either I have to look out for pop up quests or I have to finish the single Village Request I didn't finish (because I didn't have a Trunkspine) to unlock whatever quest I'm missing.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Congratu-

uh.. I... hmm, whaa-

Oh ok. There's quite a few more, including
the high-rank version of that one
Well I did run into that
Advance Yian Garuga Quest
and the Monster was not only huge (which made it a pain to hit with my Sword & Shield) but apparently he was also a High Rank Monster so I'm guessing I have some work to do in the Hunter's Hub before I actually finish all Village Quest.

Salaadin

Are some decorations tied behind story quests? I have the materials that I need to craft Draw Jwl 1 but I obtained them online and the gem still isn't listed...

Cerity

Farming HR rathian for a ruby when the neighbourhood Jho comes along, completely forgot that it did that. Anyway, get to the reward screen to find a plate, a ruby and one of my palico's had nabbed a Jho gem. Loving it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I need damn Bumblepumpkin, but I have NO idea how to get it. I only have one trade cart open. I'm assuming (from what I've read) that I set my Palico to trade for a seed (Might is my go to) with a Lagniapple (sp?) and I have a chance at getting a Bumblepumpkin?

Also, I forgot how much I hate it when a monster runs to hide right as a paintball wears off. I spent 5 minutes hunting down a Nargacuga that ran off after the paint wore. I checked every single map with no luck...Turns out he had just moved maps twice while I was looking for him. And then I hit him twice and he flew off again. -_- He's just like the damn Yian Kut-Ku with his flee tactics.

Salaadin

I need damn Bumblepumpkin, but I have NO idea how to get it. I only have one trade cart open. I'm assuming (from what I've read) that I set my Palico to trade for a seed (Might is my go to) with a Lagniapple (sp?) and I have a chance at getting a Bumblepumpkin?

I got 3 pumpkins doing that exact same thing. Might seed, lagniapple. I also make sure my cat has max enthusiasm although I don't know if that affects anything.
Good luck

CTLance

Ugh, the texture blurring on the root/twig bridge in Misty Peaks. I'm not usually one to be offended by visual artefacts, but damn, that one bugs me.
Also, I forgot how much I hate it when a monster runs to hide right as a paintball wears off. I spent 5 minutes hunting down a Nargacuga that ran off after the paint wore. I checked every single map with no luck...Turns out he had just moved maps twice while I was looking for him. And then I hit him twice and he flew off again. -_- He's just like the damn Yian Kut-Ku with his flee tactics.
I know that feeling.
It's why I always carry a psychoserum with me nowadays. Also, don't forget to check the skies for a balloon. Remember, wave at it for psychoserum effect. Only works once per quest, but better than nothing.

Me, I fought good old Rathalos yesterday. Fucker started to fly around like it was going out of style when he got low on health - changed areas every other minute, rarely ever voluntarily landed on the ground. Man, that was annoying. I'm just glad I had aerial style equipped. It's cool that you can hop off its tail while it's fluttering about. Bonus Wyvern Tears!

colinp

Banned
Ugh, the texture blurring on the root/twig bridge in Misty Peaks. I'm not usually one to be offended by visual artefacts, but damn, that one bugs me.

I know that feeling.
It's why I always carry a psychoserum with me nowadays. Also, don't forget to check the skies for a balloon. Remember, wave at it for psychoserum effect. Only works once per quest, but better than nothing.

You sure it isn't once per faint? I'm pretty sure I just got the balloon to give me the location twice. Once at the start and once after fainting...

Fandangox

Also, since I never used the GL until Generations, I gave it a test-run in 4U. I really like the heat gauge they added for it in Generations. Makes the weapon more fun, I think.

I don't like it, I see what they were trying to do, but what it ultimately ends up doing is just making the weapon overall weaker. The window of opportunities for doing full bursts are not as big now because you may risk re-heating it and locking yourself in the weakened state. Likewise, In MH3 and MH4 one could use wyvern fire when the opportunity presented itself, and now thanks to the new heat mechanic wyvern fire has a VERY small window of opportunity unless you just want to to once again debuff your weapon out of the red zone and do less overall damage over a time as the heat replenishes itself.

The concept of having to balance your slashes and pellets is good, but the execution is not. The heat gauge itself is not hard to manage, specially once one applies Artillery Master, but its an annoyance, something I have to be wary of or otherwise I will be doing less damage over time. is more like a power limiter, as if the Gunlance was some for to be reckoned with or something.

But none of that matters anyway cause this game gave us

BLAST DASH

redcrayon

I know that feeling.

Me, I fought good old Rathalos yesterday. Fucker started to fly around like it was going out of style when he got low on health - changed areas every other minute, rarely ever voluntarily landed on the ground. Man, that was annoying. I'm just glad I had aerial style equipped. It's cool that you can hop off its tail while it's fluttering about. Bonus Wyvern Tears!
I always carry two Psychoserum the first time I play a quest as a single hunter so I can head straight for the monster without wasting precious time. Best thing to buy with my hundreds of thousands of village points. Well, that and I can now finally buy bomb casings.

redcrayon

What skills do Silver Rathalos and Gold Rathian armour pieces give?

I remember having a sweet set of silver Rath armour in a previous game but suspect it's changed.

DrArchon

I've finally gotten to the 3-star Village quests. Took long enough. That's what I get for not looking up which missions are required. Actually had some problems with Tetsucabra because I'm so used to fighting the G-Rank variant from 4U.

Anyway, now that I'm really starting to get a nice variety of larger monsters, which armor sets should I be working towards? I use Aerial Inscet Glaive and for a while now I've been using the Great Maccao armor for the the bonus damage to jumping attacks, but I don't want to get too far in the game without a good armor for mid level low rank. I prefer armors with offensive abilities, but I haven't had a good look at the options to see which have stuff like Expert and Atk Up.

spiritfox

Mizutsune armor is so pretty. The skills aren't god tier but they are useful and still usable.

I like the Bubble/Crisis combo. It's AuL, Evasion+1, and Cons+1 for just 20 points if you can keep bubble up. Stonefist Hermitaur set also has the same thing going on but Mizutsune looks so much better.

frustrating to have a bunch of tigrex parts but no option to build it at the armory. How are you supposed to know what path you need to build it without outside resources?

Shengar

I like the Bubble/Crisis combo. It's AuL, Evasion+1, and Cons+1 for just 20 points if you can keep bubble up. Stonefist Hermitaur set also has the same thing going on but Mizutsune looks so much better.

Crisis gives you AuL? I thought it was just AuM. :eek:

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So what are your "go to" food choices? There are so many combinations...When I'm running Hammer, it's anything with Slugger. With GS, I'm just doing AuM or L.

tuffy

So what are your "go to" food choices? There are so many combinations...When I'm running Hammer, it's anything with Slugger. With GS, I'm just doing AuM or L.
I've been going with AuM or AuL most of the time and activating Sharpshooter or Temper. Though if something looks like it might be rough, I'll switch over to a defense up food and try to activate Defender (Hi). The sheer quantity of food combinations has me wishing I could save some favorites, though.

Pejo

Just got my n3DSXL "modded" with a PSP1000 analog for the nub. Holy crap. What a difference. Night and day. Removing the nub is a breeze and I'm confident it will go back on easily if someone put a gun to my head and made me.

Does the 3DS still close normally with the psp nub? I'm almost 100% sold on picking one up with good impressions like these, and that's the last piece of info I need.

kaioshade

Does the 3DS still close normally with the psp nub? I'm almost 100% sold on picking one up with good impressions like these, and that's the last piece of info I need.

Yea, it closes with no issues with screen scratching or anything.

I did the mod to my MHG 3DS system. And if you are willing to take the back off, you can remove the previous nub without breaking any plastic, that is what i ended up doing.

Juraash

Going for [Defense up L] + [felyne defender hi] whenever I'm scared I'll cart. I'm a wimp.

This is me all day, every day. Or some resistance up if I'm hurting for it on my set. I play GS and I've never been wanting for damage, but I like the extra insurance that defensive food skills give.

Pejo

Yea, it closes with no issues with screen scratching or anything.

I did the mod to my MHG 3DS system. And if you are willing to take the back off, you can remove the previous nub without breaking any plastic, that is what i ended up doing.

Awesome thanks, ordering off that amazon link from earlier in the thread. Wish he had the black one, but whatever.

Going for [Defense up L] + [felyne defender hi] whenever I'm scared I'll cart. I'm a wimp.

I do this for higher attack potential targets and targets with shitty movesets like Tigrex/Plesioth/Yian Garuga where I know I'll probably take hits. For hunt-a-thons and tanky monsters like Duramboros and Gammoth, I go Attack up L and felyne slugger with SnS or felyne rider with IG to help increase time where the monster is KO'd or toppled.

ChrisD

AuM with Slugger. Don't have the foods for AuL.
DuM with whatever sounds cool when I use anything that's not a Hammer.

Kinsei

Banned

AuM since I don;t have AuL yet. I've always considered defense and res foods to be useless.

redcrayon

Do we know if Defence Up L scales at all? +20-odd defence means a lot when you have 150 defence at low rank, but not so much when you're pushing 650 later on. Similarly strength increases on weapons seem still valuable in the late game if you have a weaker weapon that strikes often, but less so on hammers and great swords.

I've been going for Felyne Insurance when it looks like other hunters are going to cart. I played for an hour this afternoon with an ad-hoc team that was great, we were doing hyper quests and everyone was healing each other with horns/life powder, knocking each other out of stun states and covering each other with flash bombs when vulnerable, even reminding each other what items to take, that kind of thing. After that, I tried another room but there was a complete lack of teamwork. One hunter went off to fight another monster (in a quest with three) alone and carted twice despite all of us signalling for them to join us so we could cover them with life powder etc.

I do prefer it when the quests aren't over in five minutes with the creature permanently stun-locked, but it's annoying to find a pleasantly tough quest (for your team) and have people refuse to use any kind of basic tactics like application of force.

Top Bottom