• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

What would you consider a god charm in MHG? In 4U it was typically a Handicraft ooo charm with a beneficial secondary skill. With deviant skills and the nerf to Handicraft I'm not so sure anymore.

What would you consider a god charm in MHG? In 4U it was typically a Handicraft ooo charm with a beneficial secondary skill. With deviant skills and the nerf to Handicraft I'm not so sure anymore.

This was needed. Everyone and their mom would go for sharpness+1, attack up (L), HG earplugs. Variety was needed.

Mupod

when playing around with Athena's I found out you can make a Critical Up, Quick Sheathe, Focus, and Critical Draw set with the Alatreon GS if you have a +5 FastCharge, +3 Crit. Boost OOO. So...that.

For me personally, a +6 evade dist with something useful like Chain Crit and 3 slots would be the holy grail.

ChrisD

Does the hop ( B ) in aerial style counts as evasion? does it benefit from evade distance?

Yes and yes (and Evade Distance is super fun with it). There's also a specific point in the hop - the exact time where you're first able to hurdle off of things - that you can use as a sort of Counter, because you can't take damage from physical attacks in that specific moment. Look up...I want to say the video was called "How to properly use Aerial Style" to see what I mean on that.

Edit: Okay, that isn't the proper search term, and I can't find the vid now. It showed a guy hopping off of a Glavenus tail during it's super spin and then he bashed it with a Hammer to KO it. But it's not showing up..

Shengar

Yes and yes (and Evade Distance is super fun with it). There's also a specific point in the hop - the exact time where you're first able to hurdle off of things - that you can use as a sort of Counter, because you can't take damage from physical attacks in that specific moment. Look up...I want to say the video was called "How to properly use Aerial Style" to see what I mean on that.

Edit: Okay, that isn't the proper search term, and I can't find the vid now. It showed a guy hopping off of a Glavenus tail during it's super spin and then he bashed it with a Hammer to KO it. But it's not showing up..

Do you mean this video?

Cob32

Sharpness + 5 OOO is highly sought after so you can use a natural white sharpness weapon with minimal sharpening required.

redcrayon

I thought it was something like that- I've done all kinds of cool things with the aerial hop (like using it to leap off the tails of fliers, then knocking them out of the air with critical draw) and I'm not an expert player by any means.

At one point I even jumped off a Seregios as it swept past with it's claw-dive, I was only actually trying to evade it, but managed to turn around and knock it out of the sky. After that I was regularly winning jousts against it.

ohlawd

Sharpness + 5 OOO is highly sought after so you can use a natural white sharpness weapon with minimal sharpening required.
*hugs Sharpness +5 3-slot charm*

it's all I get whenever I charm run tho. I think I got that charm three times and one +4 with 3 slots. I want other shit too

Hedge

So I'm trouncing LR monsters with the bujabujabu set, but it's sorts of dull. Any other LR sets that are more fun?
I've read the pink flagship monsters armor is really interesting, but I'm not sure what rank that is.

Dak'kon

Wondering who here has cleared "Advanced: Wrath of Rath"? Because... how? I've only tried three times but even Farcasting away to let the gate timer reset those shiny bastards are relentless. I'm thinking of trying Aerial style because evading with Adept only seems to leave you more open to attacks.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Wondering who here has cleared "Advanced: Wrath of Rath"? Because... how? I've only tried three times but even Farcasting away to let the gate timer reset those shiny bastards are relentless. I'm thinking of trying Aerial style because evading with Adept only seems to leave you more open to attacks.
The only real dangerous time is when the gate is down, but the arena is pretty big. If you run around a bit in there with them you should be able to learn to kite around them and evade them completely for a minute until the gate is ready again. The only thing that might get you is wind, which can lead into a combo, but as long as you're adept evading in smart directions you should be fine (best scenario is to avoid getting close completely). Bring flash bombs to buy time if you need, but once you get one of them alone, use traps and flash bombs and whatever you need to off the one you're focusing on. Once one's down it's a piece of cake.

jonjonaug

I just cleared this today. It's pretty tough. Bring the following: Potions, mega potions, antidotes, flash bombs, both traps, flashbugs, bomb shells, mega demondrugs, hunter's drinks, power/armor charm and talon and combo books 1 and 2 (3 if you can fit it in). Use the materials given to you to combine together Mega Potions and flash bombs if you run out.

The goal here is to kill Gold Rathian as fast as possible, it's more trouble than Silver Rathalos and has less health. To do this you should bring a weapon with thunder damage, so do that (Silver Rathalos is also moderately weak to Thunder). Try to target its wings (also applies to Silver Rath) and trap it alone on the flatter side of the arena with the fence. When the fence goes down, run in circles until it's ready to go back up again and DON'T try attacking either of the Raths because you'll just die really quickly. Use the traps to hold it in place to deal extra damage. It's weakest point is it's back, so target that when it's in the pitfall trap or stunned on the ground.

Once the Gold Rathian is down the fight becomes MUCH easier, just flash bomb Silver Rathalos every time he goes up (you'll have 17 total) and you'll win.

Moondrop

Banned
My solo crusade has reached HR 7, but that may be the end of the line. I'm not sure I can take down those dual monsters within the time limit. To learn to trust again...

I can sympathize. Just had to embrace multi again after reaching HR7. Running keys for HR7 right now actually if anyone wants in 59-2104-9731-7815 no pass

I feel like this is a good place to ask this and I apologize if it's not.

I just bought a New 3DS XL. I traded in my old 3DS XL. I have the SD card for the old 3DS.

I copied the content from the old SD card to my PC. I then copied that folder from my PC to my New 3DS' Micro SD card. Most importantly, my Monster Hunter save was part of that folder.

I insert the Micro SD card back into my New 3DS and it says there's no content on it. No DLC for MH, no save for MH.

Any idea what I can do? I still have the old SD card and none of the files have been altered. Thanks for any help.

tuffy

I feel like this is a good place to ask this and I apologize if it's not.
All the files on the SD card are encrypted, and the encryption keys are on the 3DS. When doing a system transfer from one 3DS to another, those encryption keys are moved to the new system so the files on the SD card can be decrypted (once it's moved swapped to the new system). If you traded in your old system before doing the transfer, there's not going to be a way to decrypt all the files on it unless you can get your old 3DS back, unfortunately.

All the files on the SD card are encrypted, and the encryption keys are on the 3DS. When doing a system transfer from one 3DS to another, those encryption keys are moved to the new system so the files on the SD card can be decrypted (once it's moved swapped to the new system). If you traded in your old system before doing the transfer, there's not going to be a way to decrypt all the files on it unless you can get your old 3DS back, unfortunately.

The 3DS I traded in is now at a Gamestop. I guess I'll start over in MHG. I was about 24 hours in, so while not terrible it is a bit of a bummer. Thank you for your response. Not even Nintendo's support site was that clear about why it wasn't working.

onionfrog

Anybody want to help me out with the Nakarkos urgent so I can get into high rank?

Edit:
Finished.
Thanks for the help Champ!
Aerial Switch Axe user here,

Anything better than the early game Attack (L) armor combo that doesn't look like garbage?
I'm using:
Butterfly Vertex
Lagiacrus Mail
Rathalos Braces
Rathalos Failed
Rathalos Greaves

It gives attack up L when gemmed and looks pretty good with blue armor pigment. (To match the Lagiacrus chest piece)

Does anyone know what I need to do to get Defense M at the kitchen? I got the fluffy waffles as an ingredient, but it won't let me mix it with anything, and I still can't eat for defense M.

It's not just about raw damage. Lance users can bunker down as they only take minimal shielding damage, and stay in close to keep notching up damage (and status effects) immediately after when everyone else is still standing up from evading radial attacks. Aerial style combined with the range of a lance means that you can still get hits on fast monsters that won't stand still and are moving away, I'm regularly winning aerial jousts with fliers that way! You also won't be tripping the others.

If I'm in a team with several GS/Hammer/SA/LS users (and it's not an experienced team that's killing everything in five minutes regardless), I'll eat for the skill to get monsters to focus on me, take my Seregios armour with constitution+2 (reduces stamina loss from blocking etc) and tank while they butcher it. Particularly on arena battles that give less time for people to heal. Otherwise I focus on staying in close and just notching up damage slowly but surely.

It's not in the top tier for raw damage inflicted, but rounds out a team nicely. I'm totally biased though :D I think everything is viable if the hunter explores the possibilities and the range of its uses.

I've had more issues with soloing lance, as it doesn't quite feel aggressive enough to end guild fights in good time. On the other hand, I love being able to block the worst that brute wyverns can throw at me. My reactions aren't good enough for adept style these days! Offensive skills like Tropic Hunter and Tenderiser (Rath EX armour) and Critical Eye all help me make the most out of every single jab though. Poke. poke. Pokey-poke-poke. That's how we roll.

Thanks for the tip on taking food buffs for aggro. Hadn't thought of that, helps.

How do Lance users deal with tripping online? My friends seem to trip me constantly even if they make an effort not to. I know other styles have super armor on the third poke, but my favorite is still striker. Any other tips from lance users?

I was checking my guild card list and I hate Boney.

His unity level is some next level shit.

Please don't tell me there's an unity achievement.

ohlawd

you can always charge them. I've never done so even when constantly tripped but if there's one thing Generations did right, it's giving Lance an HA that can blow people away. I fucking love using Corkscrew Jab on people (innuendo much intended). you're better off with other HAs but when it's multi, damn right I'm bringing Jab. I don't give a fuck if the people are using their owns HAs, GS charge, LS combo, or whatever when the monster's down. absolutely no fucks given. feels fucking good giving people their just desserts after multiple MHs of dealing with Smash Bros. Brawl tripping :3

to really answer the question, there's nothing you can do if you aren't playing non-Striker to get the SA third poke. You can eat for Felyne Feet but eh. and I really love the shitbags who can't get a clue when I'm out attacking a spot because no one's there but they all go ahead and come my way to trip me up anyway. the fuck, man

as another rant, this is why I miss dem big damage sponges like Jhen, Miralis, Dalamadur, cuz I can pick a trillion spots to poke these guys to oblivion

sonny4p

I finally hit a wall. Frickin urgent nakarkos is next to impossible by oneself. Didnt get carted just ran out of time twice already. Getting tedious and boring. Will open a room tonite and will have to wait it out for help I guess.

you can always charge them. I've never done so even when constantly tripped but if there's one thing Generations did right, it's giving Lance an HA that can blow people away. I fucking love using Corkscrew Jab on people (innuendo much intended). you're better off with other HAs but when it's multi, damn right I'm bringing Jab. I don't give a fuck if the people are using their owns HAs, GS charge, LS combo, or whatever when the monster's down. absolutely no fucks given. feels fucking good giving people their just desserts after multiple MHs of dealing with Smash Bros. Brawl tripping :3

to really answer the question, there's nothing you can do if you aren't playing non-Striker to get the SA third poke. You can eat for Felyne Feet but eh. and I really love the shitbags who can't get a clue when I'm out attacking a spot because no one's there but they all go ahead and come my way to trip me up anyway. the fuck, man

Lol, well I'll look into Felyne Feet, thanks. I'm actually a casual ex hammer main from mh4, so a lot of these other buffs are lost on me. It helps to be reminded of others not on my usual rotation. I went with Lance for gen because for some reason it feels so damn good to counter a giant monster in your face, while bobbing and weaving through attacks like a boxing champ

Any suggestions for late low rank armor sets, and early multiplayer high rank stuff to look out for? Should I consider going something besides Striker for the third poke? My tripping issue isn't as big of a deal as others. I do play with friends that at least try to avoid it, but at the same time they're long sword and glaive users...it can be annoying.

Brussels

anyone up for some HR quests? or anything for that matter
Reposting I think everyone got booted.

40-7636-1280-2079
pass 1414

Kebiinu

Banned
Just picked this game up, didn't start it yet. I'm coming off MH4U, and I dropped that game before getting to G Rank. Am I in for a good time? How is this in comparison to 4U?

ohlawd

Lol, well I'll look into Felyne Feet, thanks. I'm actually a casual ex hammer main from mh4, so a lot of these other buffs are lost on me. It helps to be reminded of others not on my usual rotation. I went with Lance for gen because for some reason it feels so damn good to counter a giant monster in your face, while bobbing and weaving through attacks like a boxing champ

Any suggestions for late low rank armor sets, and early multiplayer high rank stuff to look out for? Should I consider going something besides Striker for the third poke? My tripping issue isn't as big of a deal as others. I do play with friends that at least try to avoid it, but at the same time they're long sword and glaive users...it can be annoying.
I just ran that Bullfango/Jaggi mixed set and LR Hermitaur for Guard. when I hit HR, I went for HR Hermitaur lol. just wanted higher defense and the set was super easy to make. idunno about the other styles. I do Adept offline since it's easier to read enemy movements there. dunno about Aerial. forward dodge turned me off and I don't wanna learn it. never tried Guild. just play Striker. I promise you breh spamming the charge finisher is top tier DPS. switch to different styles if you wanna spice it up tho

Top Bottom