• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Man, look at this westernized garbage. No combat or co-op shown at all, this is nothing like MH.

its gotta be because everyone was so caught up in the rumor that instead of seeing monhun and filling in the blanks like one would with that trailer, everyone still imagined all these blanks, i had no idea of the rumor so i saw the trailer and filled in the blanks.

everyone else i know who plays monhun whos been playing it since ps2 era is so excited about world.

If this game isn't being made for the West, then who is it for? It's a AAA console game with no local multiplayer and no portable connectivity being announced at a major American trade show for platforms that Japan has little to no interest in.

Capcom isn't doing this because they feel they owe the "fans" an HD game, they're doing it because they want a big ARPG hit in the West.

Look, I love Monster Hunter, but anyone who argues that the games aren't at least 40% tedium is outright numb to the grind. The slow gathering, the horrible RNG loot, the pointless timer, the stupid animations, the clunky maneuverability, the constant inventory management, the need to restock multiple items after each hunt, crafting ammo, etc etc etc.

MH is great when you're hunting monsters, and the more barriers Capcom can remove between one hunt and the next, the better. I have no doubt that this game will still be challenging, quirky and rewarding to play, but it will be different.

If I want to scratch the MH itch one night what's the best way to go about doing it if I only have a PC and X1?

You could try other games in the genre on PC such as God Eater or Toukiden 2, though their game play are pretty different from traditional monster hunter.

There's also an upcoming f2p game called Dauntless which follows the traditional MH formula, though that could be awhile til release.

I guess if you don't mind emulators you could give the PSP games a try on PC - Freedom Unite being the biggest in content.

And thus Bloodborne relied on one shot kills/high damage, which just forces you to top up to 100% hp. Not a good argument for risk vs reward.

And monster hunter is an OTT game, what is with the amount of non-MH fans trying to tell MH fans what is good about their game.

Why are you so salty?

Mupod

Did monsters devour and fight each other in older Monster Hunters?

boss monsters would kill and eat regular ones to regain their stamina. Deviljho (a boss monster) was the only one that would attack other boss monsters.

to go into a bit more detail, starting in 3rd gen monsters would get tired over time and retreat to feed and recover stamina. In the case of say a Rathalos, it would leave the area to go find something like an Aptonoth (big dinosaur looking herbivore), kill it and eat it. It wasn't as elaborate as a monster swallowing another one whole, of course. I think I remember Tigrex eating Popos in MHF2 but that game didn't have the stamina system.

Anyways, Deviljho was an extreme extension of the stamina mechanic, he would get hungry constantly and eat anything he could. Including hunters, other dead/captured monsters, his own tail etc.

actual monster infighting was something that sort of happened but it was never well fleshed-out. The amount of damage they did to one another was negligible, and it never really felt like they were attacking each other. At best they'd get caught in a cramped area and start accidentally hitting one another, it was always a surprise when one monster killed another. There was definitely nothing like the grappling attacks Rathalos has demonstrated in the MHW demo. It's certainly a system I wanted to see expanded and I'd like to see more of how they are doing it in this game.

AzureFlame

Not a fan of removing the item animation, it was part of the gameplay and makes you think where and when you should use your items.

Ryuuga

Banned
Not a fan of removing the item animation, it was part of the gameplay and makes you think where and when you should use your items.

Remember that now you can't duck into an area seperated by a loading screen to heal. Consider that most of these changes aren't made in a vacuum.

Get off your high horse. There's plenty of fans of Monster Hunter that want more from the game than it currently offers. Not everyone who plays it cares about it being some pinnacle of challenge. Some people just want to roll up with the squad and kill monsters to make neat hats, and the potential QoL changes are welcomed.
Lmao where did you even infer a high horse.

I play monster hunter mainly with my girlfriend who did not like this trailer cause it didn't look like monster hunter, there was no cats and there was no cute. I'm well aware people like these games for their own reasons, and didn't even imply every single person in the fanbase just wants a challenge. (Which we aren't even getting lately)

Ghostofst4rm4n

Neo Member
siliconera said:
tUnlike previous Monster Hunter games, both single player and multiplayer modes have the same quest lines. If you’re playing single player you can send a flare to call for help. For example, say you’re having trouble taking down that Rathalos and need help from other players—they’ll get to drop-in at the sign of a flare.
Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2017/06/1...nty-monster-hunter-charm/#yCGf00ACUwOdQuD8.99

Dunno if this was already mentioned in the thread. But reading through the article, it looks like there will only be one line of quests now. That way the drop in drop out coop will work.

I wonder how they will gate people out of doing later story missions?

Maybe still keep everything gated based on hunter rank?

I'm salty cause I think
"I don't play this game but X mechanic is dumb" is a silly thing to say to people who actually play the game??

This game isn't being made to appeal to the people who play MH. Capcom clearly finds the current Western MH audience insignificant (hence why they aren't porting XX immediately) and are specifically looking to court people who do find some of the archaic mechanics to be deal-breakers despite getting into games like Souls and Nioh.

As fans of the old games, we can either accept that the series can have some core elements changed after a decade of uniformity, or we can angrily resist (and then play World and secretly like it anyway).

The central MH team is behind this game. I trust them to know which elements of their franchise are important and which are not. Judging by what they've supposedly stripped out thus far, my trust is well placed.

Do we predict that there will be an "Ultimate" version of the game? I always found the base versions to be barebones compared to the ultimate versions.

Lmao where did you even infer a high horse.

I play monster hunter mainly with my girlfriend who did not like this trailer cause it didn't look like monster hunter, there was no cats and there was no cute. I'm well aware people like these games for their own reasons, and didn't even imply every single person in the fanbase just wants a challenge. (Which we aren't even getting lately)

You were literally talking about Risk vs Reward arguments then complained about people not being Monster Hunter fans.

For reference, the game still has cats. They've been mentioned multiple times throughout the thread. There is also still the BBQ jingle and goofiness in the game.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
My worries:

• PC version, when?
  • Will it be paid DLC heavy?
  • Can I solo everything with reasonable difficulty?
  • How many monsters?
Outside of that, I trust that MH made a compelling game. Even if is simplified. Really, arena fights don't justify a loading screen every few seconds.

Mupod

Do we predict that there will be an "Ultimate" version of the game? I always found the base versions to be barebones compared to the ultimate versions.

if they really are aiming this more at a western audience, I would expect DLC expansions instead of just new standalone games.

I would also expect this to launch with FAR less content than MH4U, MHGenerations, and MHXX. I'm sure they want to avoid some of the backlash they got back in Tri, but they can't get away with just bringing over 1st-gen-ass monsters like Gravios to fill the roster out this time. The new monster interactions are going to add a lot of work too.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
if they really are aiming this more at a western audience, I would expect DLC expansions instead of just new standalone games.

I would also expect this to launch with FAR less content than MH4U, MHGenerations, and MHXX. I'm sure they want to avoid some of the backlash they got back in Tri, but they can't get away with just bringing over 1st-gen-ass monsters like Gravios to fill the roster out this time. The new monster interactions are going to add a lot of work too.

But if they are clever, making interesting variations of the hunt of the same monter(s), they can go long way with a reduced monster lineup imho.

rpmurphy

Remember that now you can't duck into an area seperated by a loading screen to heal. Consider that most of these changes aren't made in a vacuum.
I don't think that explains it all since there had been single-zone maps in prior games where you could not duck out without a farcast.

Mupod

But if they are clever, making interesting variations of the hunt of the same monter(s), they can go long way with a reduced monster lineup imho.

yeah they seem to be playing up the more sandboxy nature of the game. Chaotic interactions between monsters infringing on one another's territory.

As someone who spent way too much time dicking around in free hunt in Tri, there's a lot of potential here. I wonder how much is unscripted though. Gameplay demo can't come soon enough...would be nice if we get a playable demo before the end of the year too.

yeah they seem to be playing up the more sandboxy nature of the game. Chaotic interactions between monsters infringing on one another's territory.

As someone who spent way too much time dicking around in free hunt in Tri, there's a lot of potential here. I wonder how much is unscripted though. Gameplay demo can't come soon enough...would be nice if we get a playable demo before the end of the year too.
Potentially a beta could be possible

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Kong Island simulator. :D

Edit: My other worry is if they go the lazy route and make the game extreme grindy.
(I'm more worried if they do so for the DLC money ala SFV)

The allure of MH for me was being able to hang out with some people and play it locally.

This is a bit disappointing. The QoL changes may or may not be good (how would I know, haven't tried them), but lacking that local multiplayer potential might make XX my last entry unless they make a portable version in the West.

Jarate

Banned
I'm excited for this game as long as the combat is still good. That trailer was probably the worst decison they could've used made though

My worries:

• PC version, when?
  • Will it be paid DLC heavy?
  • Can I solo everything with reasonable difficulty?
  • How many monsters?
Outside of that, I trust that MH made a compelling game. Even if is simplified. Really, arena fights don't justify a loading screen every few seconds.

We won't know about DLC or monster count until release, I'd imagine. Monster count in particular is probably the one major concern I can see being valid, as Capcom can't just recycle assets from previous games like they're used to doing on 3DS.

As for soloing everything with reasonable difficulty, if it's anything like previous games, then nope. The difficulty in high rank and G-rank gets pretty extreme, and there are even a few multi-monster fights and elder dragons (think "raid bosses" from MMOs) that are designed with co-op in mind.

That said, G-rank will probably not be in the main game at launch. haha

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
We won't know about DLC or monster count until release, I'd imagine. Monster count in particular is probably the one major concern I can see being valid, as Capcom can't just recycle assets from previous games like they're used to doing on 3DS.

As for soloing everything with reasonable difficulty, if it's anything like previous games, then nope. The difficulty in high rank and G-rank gets pretty extreme, and there are even a few multi-monster fights and elder dragons (think "raid bosses" from MMOs) that are designed with co-op in mind.

That said, G-rank will probably not be in the main game at launch. haha

Well, i soloed everything I was allowed to in 4U. Mostly because my goal was to be the most powerful R1 hunter ever, so I was locked out of the high ranks out of choice :p. Kinda silly, but I did got to fight all the monsters and got the comments: How can you have that armor at R1!? I did so because I got the game late, so it was no use to try to get into the rank race.

Maybe a better question would be: Will it have a satisfying SP campaign? Or be like Destiny where you have to group to do anything worthwhile.

BadWolf

In MGSV if you get critically hurt then you have to stop and do a quick mashing QTE to heal yourself. That makes sense. You got hit hard and have to pick your time to heal.

Imagine if not only the above happened but after successfully healing himself Venom took out a cigarette for a quick puff or two, while the Skulls are about to stomp his ass. Would it be 'quirky' or 'neat' or make the healing animation last longer just because? Sure. Does it make sense? Fuck no.

So yeah, there is no explanation needed. They are moving with the times. If they want to leave the animation in then they can but it should be cancellable into an action. If you want to let it rock then do so but if you want the game to make logical sense then you should be able to cancel the flex animation. Same as how Terry Bogard fixes his hat after doing a Crackshoot in KoF, if you do nothing he will fix his hat after it but if you do anything then he will skip the animation.

Ryuuga

Banned
I don't think that explains it all since there had been single-zone maps in prior games where you could not duck out without a farcast.

Yeah, I'm just speculating. My point was that I don't think changes are being made without considering the impact of gameplay.

Imagine if not only the above happened but after successfully healing himself Venom took out a cigarette for a quick puff or two, while the Skulls are about to stomp his ass. Would it be 'quirky' or 'neat' or make the healing animation last longer just because? Sure. Does it make sense? Fuck no.

So yeah, there is no explanation needed. They are moving with the times. If they want to leave the animation in then they can but it should be cancellable into an action. If you want to let it rock then do so but if you want the game to make logical sense then you should be able to cancel the flex animation. Same as how Terry Bogard fixes his hat after doing a Crackshoot in KoF, if you do nothing he will fix his hat after it but if you do anything then he will skip the animation

Yeah, I'm just seeing these subtle changes are 'cutting the fat' as it were. The series has added subtle changes each iteration, but this marks the first time there has been such a dramatic revamp and I suppose it's scaring many. If the devs want to progress the series and experiment I trust that they understand the risk that comes with it.

BadWolf

From the Glixel interview:

Tsujimoto: Well, of course. We're gamers and we love games, but it's not so much that we were directly inspired by Western games, but more that we worked out of our central "world" concept. Now that we have a seamless world, it just seemed natural to allow the player to see how the monsters interact when the player isn't around. Scavenging interactions, survival of the fittest – all that stuff is really important to Monster Hunter. We've always wanted to include it in the past, but the technology limited us. Now, we can have as much detail as we want, not just in the environments, but in the AI of the monsters, and how they interact with each other. It all flows from that central concept. We think about monsters a lot while making this game.

Tokuda: The concept of the "open world" is exactly what we're always wanted. We've always aimed to make each map a little compact ecosystem. We don't want to have some massive space where you have to chase the monster for miles. The map's size isn't the only thing. It's not about having a big world, it's about having a deep world. In a way, it's the ultimate expression of what the concept that's been there from the start. But only now are we able to make it the way we want.

So which one of you non cynical monster hunter vets will be interested in teaming up on this thing when it releases first monster hunter and that video sold me and I hear that's only the surface

spiritfox

In MGSV if you get critically hurt then you have to stop and do a quick mashing QTE to heal yourself. That makes sense. You got hit hard and have to pick your time to heal.

So yeah, there is no explanation needed. They are moving with the times. If they want to leave the animation in then they can but it should be cancellable into an action. If you want to let it rock then do so but if you want the game to make logical sense then you should be able to cancel the flex animation. Same as how Terry Bogard fixes his hat after doing a Crackshoot in KoF, if you do nothing he will fix his hat after it but if you do anything then he will skip the animation.

Except that the animation is there for the same reason you need to stop and do whatever QTE to heal in MGSV, to make you pick your place to heal. The animations are longer because the current Monhuns were slower paced games, with longer wind-ups for monster attacks. You can predict what the monster will do based on what he is doing at that moment, and decide if you can safely heal or not. Of course, we don't know if MHW is faster paced, and thus healing needs to be sped up to match the monsters' movements, but it's timed for the pace the game as it is right now.

rpmurphy

Yeah, I'm just speculating. My point was that I don't think changes are being made without considering the impact of gameplay.
Yeah, I'm open to the change as well and I just hope it does not upset much the monster-hunter balance in combat advantage. The long healing and sharpening animations have never been an issue to me since it was all incentive for me to learn the monsters' tells, use traps and bombs strategically, build up more effective armor and weapon sets to fight specific monsters, and learn to plan out emergency measures.

lyrick

Yeah, I'm just seeing these subtle changes are 'cutting the fat' as it were. The series has added subtle changes each iteration, but this marks the first time there has been such a dramatic revamp and I suppose it's scaring many. If the devs want to progress the series and experiment I trust that they understand the risk that comes with it.

Which is exactly my largest concern. So now we can walk while using consumables, strafe and walk backwards while firing a HBG and break combat animations. What design changes are going to result from these changes or possibly what design changes were made to necessitate the changes?

The lengthy attack animations felt like they served a purpose with the series combat rhythm. By studying enemy tells, move sets, and patterns the player could learn when there was time for certain attacks, combos or item usage. If the animations can be broken, or completely removed the rhythm may not be present anymore or it won't matter since you'll always have an opportunity to react to any circumstance instead of the focus on actually being predictive.

Actually you are one of the people i adressed with my comment. Your salt levels are through the roof. Just look at the article BadWold quoted.

giphy.gif

Raide

So which one of you non cynical monster hunter vets will be interested in teaming up on this thing when it releases first monster hunter and that video sold me and I hear that's only the surface

I am not a vet but I have put a few hundred hours into Tri and U and MH4. When it launches, I will be doing some MHW streams etc. Never done it before, so we could do some co streams on Mixer if more than just me buys the Xbox version. 😂

ookami

Can't wait to play this in coop ! Though I wish they went with Panta Rhei instead of MT Framework. I guess the engine is far from ready as Deep Down is.

I am not a vet but I have put a few hundred hours into Tri and U and MH4. When it launches, I will be doing some MHW streams etc. Never done it before, so we could do some co streams on Mixer if more than just me buys the Xbox version. 😂
Goddamit I am but a lowly pro owner lol maybe I'll get the x tho

BadWolf

I used to play the PSP games back in the day and am really looking forward to jumping in with the PC version and hunting it up with Gafers.

Except that the animation is there for the same reason you need to stop and do whatever QTE to heal in MGSV, to make you pick your place to heal. The animations are longer because the current Monhuns were slower paced games, with longer wind-ups for monster attacks. You can predict what the monster will do based on what he is doing at that moment, and decide if you can safely heal or not. Of course, we don't know if MHW is faster paced, and thus healing needs to be sped up to match the monsters' movements, but it's timed for the pace the game as it is right now.

So... you are okay with Venom taking a smoke after healing himself?

spiritfox

I used to play the PSP games back in the day and am really looking forward to jumping in with the PC version and hunting it up with Gafers.

So... you are okay with Venom taking a smoke after healing himself?

No, cause it's paced for that game. Currently healing is paced for the game we have, but if MHW is faster paced then they'll have to change it.

Mupod

Obvious, but I think this is the first confirmation that they are changing bowgun controls.

I wonder how they will keep HBG from being incredibly overpowered...well, more so than it usually is. Part of the limiting factors to bowguns for me were always how vague the damage zones were, it was very much a thing you had to get a feel for with each monster. They improved the visual and audio feedback in the newer games but being able to see damage numbers might make guns too effective. Although if they just make them do horrible crap damage as a result that won't be fun either.

Top Bottom