• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Qurupeke

if they really are aiming this more at a western audience, I would expect DLC expansions instead of just new standalone games.

I would also expect this to launch with FAR less content than MH4U, MHGenerations, and MHXX. I'm sure they want to avoid some of the backlash they got back in Tri, but they can't get away with just bringing over 1st-gen-ass monsters like Gravios to fill the roster out this time. The new monster interactions are going to add a lot of work too.

At least this time all the weapons are back, unlike Tri, though the chance of new weapons seems really low with stuff like the grappling hook or the sling. But, yeah, I'd be surprised if World has not a similar monster count to Tri. I don't think this is necessarily bad for new players, but for people that played a G version, I'm certain it will be a bit underwhelming. Hopefully the game makes up for it by making really interesting new monsters.

ilium

No, cause it's paced for that game. Currently healing is paced for the game we have, but if MHW is faster paced then they'll have to change it.

Exactly. Just look at how slow the AI turns monster around and let's them react. The healing animation is so long because otherwise there'd be no risk/reward and healing would be trivial.

Besides, the healing animation in MGSV is longer than in MH anyway

From the Glixel interview:

676077b3_gLjmRR7.gif

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Can we not make this into system wars? MHW is already coming. Also, I don't see how that gif is misleading. As always, downsizing improves the IQ, but everything looks possible on the hardware.

Rncewind

Can we not make this into system wars? MHW is already coming. Also, I don't see how that gif is misleading. As always, downsizing improves the IQ, but everything looks possible on the hardware.

what has this to do with system wars its not the first time that this user drive by shit post with "lol" and no substance at all

New Kotaku impressions:

http://kotaku.com/monster-hunter-worlds-real-star-is-nature-itself-1796118036

Tokuda was tossed off as the monster thrashed around, which caused a nearby tree to fall over. The vines from that tree caught the anjanath in a trap that allowed Tokuda to land some extra hits. I'm a bit suspicious about how easy it will actually be to use that sort of environmental aid in the heat of the moment, but the demo showed several more, including poison plants that could summon a pool of damaging toxin to lure monsters into and rocks that could be dislodged from cave roofs to fall down on their heads. Things got even wilder when the fight drew the attention of another nearby monster, a great jagras that quickly fought with the anjanath before getting killed when the giant anjanath chomped on its neck.

After fast traveling back to camp, Tokuda armed himself with a rapid fire bowgun that used a variety of special ammo, including explosive sticky rounds and ammo that turned the weapon into a small flamethrower. The final stretch of the hunt took place in a constricted space that turned out to be the nest of a large, dragon-like rathalos. The monsters attacked Tokuda's prey and left it weak enough that he was able to finish it off with a final barrage from his bowgun.

Looks like Anjanath is way higher in the hierarchy than Royal Ludroth 2.0. Also, flamethrower?!

Qvoth

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

New Kotaku impressions:

http://kotaku.com/monster-hunter-worlds-real-star-is-nature-itself-1796118036

Looks like Anjanath is way higher in the hierarchy than Royal Ludroth 2.0. Also, flamethrower?!

seems like that's the same demo as the reddit one i linked earlier
https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHun...to_see_the_new_mhw_e3_demo_played_by_the_dev/

NoKisum

Well since XX in the west is pretty much dead, can we at least get World on Vita with cross-save/cross-play? Sony sells more Vitas, Capcom sells more games, fans still get to have the console experience they've demanded for, while still pleasing the portable fans. Everybody wins.

R0ckman

Obvious, but I think this is the first confirmation that they are changing bowgun controls.

I wonder how they will keep HBG from being incredibly overpowered...well, more so than it usually is. Part of the limiting factors to bowguns for me were always how vague the damage zones were, it was very much a thing you had to get a feel for with each monster. They improved the visual and audio feedback in the newer games but being able to see damage numbers might make guns too effective. Although if they just make them do horrible crap damage as a result that won't be fun either.

Now you can focus on getting the perfect shot rather than spend time wondering if what you are doing even matters. Not sure how the later is any fun at all, let alone a challenge.

I don't like how leading a stringer monster to your target seems to be an instant win state. I feel like they should do less damage. Hopefully this is just a low rank thing and it isn't nearly as effective in high rank.
Logically, at higher ranks less monsters will be higher in the hierarchy than your target. Not every monster is going to be available in the world at all times, either.

Well since XX in the west is pretty much dead, can we at least get World on Vita with cross-save/cross-play? Sony sells more Vitas, Capcom sells more games, fans still get to have the console experience they've demanded for, while still pleasing the portable fans. Everybody wins.

Tsujimoto: Well, of course. We're gamers and we love games, but it's not so much that we were directly inspired by Western games, but more that we worked out of our central "world" concept. Now that we have a seamless world, it just seemed natural to allow the player to see how the monsters interact when the player isn't around. Scavenging interactions, survival of the fittest – all that stuff is really important to Monster Hunter. We've always wanted to include it in the past, but the technology limited us. Now, we can have as much detail as we want, not just in the environments, but in the AI of the monsters, and how they interact with each other. It all flows from that central concept. We think about monsters a lot while making this game.

Stop letting MH be held back by handhelds

Goronmon

Neo Member
I want people to be honest with themselves on some level here.

How many Monster Hunter titles was Capcom supposed to make without making any attempt to change up the game's formula? Did we need to get to MH6? MH10? MH15?

Maybe Monster Hunter: World is a major departure from past MH games, maybe it's only a visual update with a handful of gameplay tweaks. Either way, things are going to have to change at some point. If they just keep releasing visual updates to the same game, even the most hardcore fans are going to burn out eventually and sales (and the franchise) will disappear.

I don't like how leading a stringer monster to your target seems to be an instant win state. I feel like they should do less damage. Hopefully this is just a low rank thing and it isn't nearly as effective in high rank.

Once you're fighting things that are higher up on the food chain, I doubt you'll have as many options for "stronger monsters." We'll need to know more about how and why monsters spawn, but I doubt the really powerful stuff will be freely wandering around on a regular basis.

Wildo09

I really think it was great how they managed those limitations and still made a deep and interesting game. Really looking forward to this game, I hope they take good advantage of the hardware.

Kinsei

Banned
Logically, at higher ranks less monsters will be higher in the hierarchy than your target. Not every monster is going to be available in the world at all times, either.

At high rank the heriarchy will be the same. If a low rank Rathalos is higher on the food chain than a low rank Ajanath then it's going to be the exact same in high rank.

Sure at the very end game the monsters will be on even turf but it's going to take 100+ hours to get there. I'd rather not have to wait that long to not have my hunts end prematurely.

R0ckman

I want people to be honest with themselves on some level here.

How many Monster Hunter titles was Capcom supposed to make without making any attempt to change up the game's formula? Did we need to get to MH6? MH10? MH15?

Maybe Monster Hunter: World is a major departure from past MH games, maybe it's only a visual update with a handful of gameplay tweaks. Either way, things are going to have to change at some point. If they just keep releasing visual updates to the same game, even the most hardcore fans are going to burn out eventually and sales (and the franchise) will disappear.

I think a good solution is to make a more robust Monster Hunter Arena mode that "hardcore" players can be funnled into. Maybe give the mode some exclusive gear to farm.

At high rank the heriarchy will be the same. If a low rank Rathalos is higher on the food chain than a low rank Ajanath then it's going to be the exact same in high rank.

Sure at the very end game the monsters will be on even turf but it's going to take 100+ hours to get there. I'd rather not have to wait that long to not have my hunts end prematurely.

Then plan your hunting better. Checking out your and the monster's environment is now part of the game.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Once you're fighting things that are higher up on the food chain, I doubt you'll have as many options for "stronger monsters." We'll need to know more about how and why monsters spawn, but I doubt the really powerful stuff will be freely wandering around on a regular basis.

We did had the "Wild Deviljho appears on you Qurupeko hunt!" moment before, but they do have to find the right balance now that there are no more separate zones.

Then plan your hunting better. Checking out your and the monster's environment is now part of the game.

At the same time, it would be bad if you can regularly cheese hunts by luring them to Deviljho.

Kinsei

Banned
I think a good solution is to make a more robust Monster Hunter Arena mode that "hardcore" players can be funnled into. Maybe give the mode some exclusive gear to farm.

That would be a great idea. It's also a good way to give you dual monster quests against things that usually fight each other.

That's boring. I'm hoping I can just avoid all of the environmental stuff.

NoKisum

Stop letting MH be held back by handhelds

Then I guess it's time for me to drop the series. I don't have the time to be attached to my consoles like everyone else in this thread. Switch or PS4/Vita cross play would've alleviated that. Plus if I can't meet up with people directly and play, then what's the point?

Sure, but the second part of my post likely still applies. There won't be a Rathalos on the map every time you do a mission. This demo likely more represents the types of missions where you're ostensibly hunting a certain monster but it actually serves as an introduction to a new monster/zone. The only difference is that now, instead of flinging dookie bombs at the new, scary monster until it leaves you alone, it may pick a fight with your target.
While I can't guarantee it, I place strong odds on it being similar to the last games insofar as big bads (at least monsters significantly higher than the target) won't spawn during the majority of missions.
Then I guess it's time for me to drop the series. I don't have the time to be attached to my consoles like everyone else in this thread. Switch or PS4/Vita cross play would've alleviated that. Plus if I can't meet up with people directly and play, then what's the point?
Maybe so. Not every game is for everyone.

Feel pretty much the same way. I'm getting XX, but if Monhan is console only there's no way I'll be able to invest hundreds to thousands of hours into the franchise anymore. Still trying to make up my mind if I even want to bother.

Chindogg

Pretty much. MH's charm was in playing with other people face to face. To take it everywhere. There's nothing super impressive graphically about World. Put it on a handheld as any option at least.

Defuser

Pretty much. MH's charm was in playing with other people face to face. To take it everywhere. There's nothing super impressive graphically about World. Put it on a handheld as any option at least.

You do realized MH have a main series and a portable series with 2 different dev teams right? Take MHTri and MHP3rd for example.

Plus the fact that MH:World is developed using MT framework engine. That engine is super versatile last gen with absolute parity so expect a Portable MH game down the road that is based on MH world.

Capcom isn't stupid to abandon 4 million sales in Japan.

aBarreras

That would be a great idea. It's also a good way to give you dual monster quests against things that usually fight each other.

That's boring. I'm hoping I can just avoid all of the environmental stuff.

i think that in their way of making the game more IMMERSIVE they gonna, i dont want to say ruin, but they surely gonna punch mh on the face

I see that "put it on handheld" is the new thinly veiled Switch port beg.
I have zero doubt that this game (in some permutation) will eventually come to Switch. It isn't at launch because the Switch didn't exist at all when it began development. So handheld holdouts, just have a bit of patience and I'm sure you'll be rewarded.

Chindogg

More like "hey some of us travel and play MH as a staple game on our travels."

Keep that console wars nonsense out of the discussion.

I have zero doubt that this game (in some permutation) will eventually come to Switch. It isn't at launch because the Switch didn't exist at all when it began development. So handheld holdouts, just have a bit of patience and I'm sure you'll be rewarded.

Then have them drop the XX port to sate us portable people while we wait for World.

Defuser

It's like MHTri all over again.

"ZOMG MH3 ON WII PROPER CONTROLS AGAIN YAY!! HANDHELD MH IS FINALLY FUCKING DEAD"

*Monster Hunter Portable 3rd for PSP announced a year later*

NoKisum

But I said Vita though. Unlike Sony themselves, I want Vita to get more love. What's wrong with that? Hell, if 4U and Generations came out for Vita instead of 3DS, I would've been cool with that because it's still portable.

More like "hey some of us travel and play MH as a staple game on our travels."

Keep that console wars nonsense out of the discussion.

Tsujimoto: We've always seen the West and Japan as fundamentally different, especially when it comes to factors like population density. With people commuting on trains in Japan, it was a lot easier to find people to form a hunting party with to take down a big monster. Now that it's finally coming to console, it's going to be a lot more comfortable for most people. If you're the person trying to evangelize Monster Hunter to a friend, you previously had to be there in the same room to show them the ropes. You needed a private guide. Now that we're on the current gen, online play means that you can access an incredible global community of veteran hunters, not your one friend. That's going to be huge for the West.

watershed

Banned
Since this is basically MH5, I wonder what this means for the local multiplayer scene in Japan? Does Capcom plan on reviving the split between portable and console versions after XX? Interesting possibility for the series.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
lol, come on. Vita cultists are delusional about the hardware or what?

MH World is designed for PS4/X1/PC and it shows based on the footage. There is no way in the seven hells this will run on a Vita, which can't even run PS3 games like Borderlands 2 properly. Besides, the interview made it clear both the producer and director no longer wanted to be held back by old tech.

Top Bottom